Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Play off reality 00:25 - Apr 25 with 747 viewssaint22

Any team we face will be full of confidence that if they shoot on sight there is a good chance they will score, how many shots on target did Leicester have? 6 and scored 5? That is astonishing
That means we really need Downes and Aribo in the middle of the park stopping that happen
If any of them get near or in the box then all bets are off
Something drastic needs to happen
Jack back this weekend do we think as part of Wussells master plan?
Play off reality on 08:32 - Apr 25 with 594 viewsPatfromPoole

I think we may see Super Jack in a defensive midfield position alongside Downes in the play-offs.

If Downes is fit.

Poll: Does anybody think Saints can get promoted this season?

Play off reality on 08:46 - Apr 25 with 583 viewscocklebreath

I think Downes is fit we just want to keep him fit. Play the reserves/youngsters next 2 then hopefully the 1st team will be fresh and raring to go for play offs.
I’m looking forward to the play offs now, it’s gonna be exciting.
BTW I thought Smallbone played well when he came on, moved the ball quicker than anyone else, hopefully he can fill stueys boots.

Poll: Who is the biggest c*nt?

Play off reality on 10:10 - Apr 25 with 518 viewswibbersda

Play off reality on 08:46 - Apr 25 by cocklebreath

I think Downes is fit we just want to keep him fit. Play the reserves/youngsters next 2 then hopefully the 1st team will be fresh and raring to go for play offs.
BTW I thought Smallbone played well when he came on, moved the ball quicker than anyone else, hopefully he can fill stueys boots.

No one can fill Stuey's boots.
Play off reality on 10:25 - Apr 25 with 504 viewsPatfromPoole

Play off reality on 08:46 - Apr 25 by cocklebreath

Some Basingrad bias there?

Poll: Does anybody think Saints can get promoted this season?

Play off reality on 10:30 - Apr 25 with 493 viewscocklebreath

Play off reality on 10:25 - Apr 25 by PatfromPoole

Some Basingrad bias there?

Never 🙃
I know he’s not your cup of tea Pat but he passed the ball better than the rest of the chumps on Tuesday

Poll: Who is the biggest c*nt?

Play off reality on 10:41 - Apr 25 with 484 viewsIanSouthstander

Play off reality on 10:30 - Apr 25 by cocklebreath

Never 🙃
I know he’s not your cup of tea Pat but he passed the ball better than the rest of the chumps on Tuesday

If only he could tackle !!
Play off reality on 10:51 - Apr 25 with 470 viewssaint901

It would be madness to make radical changes to our style of play just for the play offs.

Players cannot switch from one tactical style to a very different one in the space of a game or two. It takes perhaps 4/5 games with a settled team for a new system to bed down.

Whether we like it or not we are stuck with the RM way but I hope (but do not expect) he makes a couple of small alterations which come form experience over the season.

First, we do outplay teams for an hour/70 minutes and then retreat in terms of confidence and perhaps fitness. Our way of playing is demanding physically. If we are winning at that time then bring on players who can occupy our defensive third. In other words, not Mara, Sulemana, Edozie, etc but Stephens, Downes, etc.

If our forward going and pressing has given us only a slender lead at 70 minutes, then chances are another 20 minutes of doing the same thing but with perhaps lesser quality players is not going to make much difference. So stop the opposition scoring. Game management.

Second, the teams we'll face are well drilled and coached and they know that we are vulnerable to wide attacking players. That is partly because RM wants the full backs high up the pitch. That suits KWP because of all the FB options, he is perhaps the weakest defensively, but all the right FB's we have seem reluctant to push on. As a result they often get caught between positions. i.e. not far enough forward to help and not far enough back to defend. This also creates a dog leg in the defensive line which often keeps their wingers on side even when they're behind our FB.

This is fixable.

In my view the easiest fix is a 3-4-3 system in which one of the CB is tasked with covering the space behind an advanced FB. This should give the FB some confidence to push on and if we come under pressure, gives us five defenders. (If this was the case, I'd put Downes/Aribo on as well in front of the back line for say the last 20).

I also think that the playoff games have the capacity to be physical. For that reason I would leave Smallbone out of the starting line up. I'd also not be starting Brooks (who seems a little timid).
Play off reality on 10:58 - Apr 25 with 462 viewsgrumpy

Play off reality on 10:51 - Apr 25 by saint901

It would be madness to make radical changes to our style of play just for the play offs.

Players cannot switch from one tactical style to a very different one in the space of a game or two. It takes perhaps 4/5 games with a settled team for a new system to bed down.

Whether we like it or not we are stuck with the RM way but I hope (but do not expect) he makes a couple of small alterations which come form experience over the season.

First, we do outplay teams for an hour/70 minutes and then retreat in terms of confidence and perhaps fitness. Our way of playing is demanding physically. If we are winning at that time then bring on players who can occupy our defensive third. In other words, not Mara, Sulemana, Edozie, etc but Stephens, Downes, etc.

If our forward going and pressing has given us only a slender lead at 70 minutes, then chances are another 20 minutes of doing the same thing but with perhaps lesser quality players is not going to make much difference. So stop the opposition scoring. Game management.

Second, the teams we'll face are well drilled and coached and they know that we are vulnerable to wide attacking players. That is partly because RM wants the full backs high up the pitch. That suits KWP because of all the FB options, he is perhaps the weakest defensively, but all the right FB's we have seem reluctant to push on. As a result they often get caught between positions. i.e. not far enough forward to help and not far enough back to defend. This also creates a dog leg in the defensive line which often keeps their wingers on side even when they're behind our FB.

This is fixable.

In my view the easiest fix is a 3-4-3 system in which one of the CB is tasked with covering the space behind an advanced FB. This should give the FB some confidence to push on and if we come under pressure, gives us five defenders. (If this was the case, I'd put Downes/Aribo on as well in front of the back line for say the last 20).

I also think that the playoff games have the capacity to be physical. For that reason I would leave Smallbone out of the starting line up. I'd also not be starting Brooks (who seems a little timid).

'First, we do outplay teams for an hour/70 minutes'

No we don't, we pass the ball sideways and backwards in front of them.

Worked for a while until teams worked it out.
[Post edited 25 Apr 11:10]
Login to get fewer ads

Play off reality on 11:12 - Apr 25 with 450 viewsManhattan_Lynx

Play off reality on 10:10 - Apr 25 by wibbersda

No one can fill Stuey's boots.

At the very least, Smallbone would require an incredibly luscious wig.
Play off reality on 11:21 - Apr 25 with 436 viewssaint901

Play off reality on 10:58 - Apr 25 by grumpy

'First, we do outplay teams for an hour/70 minutes'

No we don't, we pass the ball sideways and backwards in front of them.

Worked for a while until teams worked it out.
[Post edited 25 Apr 11:10]

If you look at some stats (always false), we concede more shots on our gaol in the last 20 minutes of games than at any other time.

That is (in my view) because if we have the ball (sideways, backwards, into row Z) it's difficult for the opposition to shoot and score. That is what I mean by outplaying.

We stop that in the last 20 minutes and give up possession and territory.

That's not going to change now.

So allow for it and keep some defensive options on the bench for that 20 minutes.
Play off reality on 13:46 - Apr 25 with 349 viewsmushinexile

"It would be madness to make radical changes to our style of play just for the play offs."NO IT FUUCKING WOULDN'T!
As it stands, we have as much chance of going up as I have of flying to Mars. Something better change.
Play off reality on 13:48 - Apr 25 with 344 viewsMrangry25

Play off reality on 10:41 - Apr 25 by IanSouthstander

If only he could tackle !!

and win headers and run instead of jog!!
Play off reality on 14:58 - Apr 25 with 307 viewssaint901

Play off reality on 13:46 - Apr 25 by mushinexile

"It would be madness to make radical changes to our style of play just for the play offs."NO IT FUUCKING WOULDN'T!
As it stands, we have as much chance of going up as I have of flying to Mars. Something better change.

So a way of playing that has put us in the top four, won more games than lost, beaten WBA twice, Leeds once and most teams below us, scored us 24 more goals than we've let in, should be abandoned?

For what?

Playing as we do I absolutely agree that winning the play offs is unlikely. Changing that radically and asking the players to take positions they've not played all season will not see us get to the final.

We need to get real here.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024