Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I've tried, but I can't accept it 10:23 - May 7 with 894 viewssaint901

The latest statement from RM is something I should ignore and move on from - but I can't.

He seems to be saying that he should have credit for keeping together a team when "two thirds" of the squad wanted to leave and that getting to the playoffs was all along the master plan.

I'm calling BS on that.

A first team squad is what, 20 players, 22? Saying that 12 to 14 wanted to leave is literally unbelievable.

We know that JWP and a couple of others (Tino, Tella etc) were sold because the club needed the money, Did they express a desire to leave?

We know that some were not wanted (Tall Paul, etc)

We know that some clearly wanted away but I doubt that was more than a handful.

A better measure might have been to ask the squad after the run of four defeats early in the season, who wanted away?

I just don't buy the statement and I see it as RM trying to buy compliments.

Then to suggest that a play off place was his "plan"?!

With arguably one of the best three squads in the league and his "system", to suggest that he had met his target is either delusional or he's seeking to weight his annual appraisal.

To suggest that a play off place is "success" screams a lack of ambition and perhaps (dare we whisper it) a lack of belief in his own system.

I really hope that we win the lottery/playoff and get to the PL> If so, I hope the owners have a good hard look at the managerial set up and alongside some investment in the team, consider improving it.
I've tried, but I can't accept it on 11:05 - May 7 with 836 viewsSaintNick

I take some of your points, but I dont think some are exactly accurate.

Last season we had 27 players who could be deemed first team regulars, of those 12 actually left either permanently or on loan back in the summer window.

On top of that we had Nathan Tella who had been away on loan all season and who as we know wanted to leave and did.

Then there were those that were being linked with a move away but didn't go anywhere in the summer Che Adams, Charley Alcaraz, Sekou Mara, Sulemana and it's fair to say that perhaps a few more that stayed did want away. It was all about the right offer.

So I think Russell Martin is correct in that assertion, he went into August and the start of the season not knowing who would stay or go, Indeed JWP & Nathan Tella both started at Sheffield Wednesday and subsequently left, as did Lavia & Lyanco who also left shortly afterwards.

Lets be honest JWP, Tino Lavia and to a lesser degree Tella went not because they wanted to stay, but because they were being offered far more money to join clubs who were all capable of challenging for trophies this season, publicly they said the right things about they were happy to stay etc, but the story behind the scenes was a lot different, none of those 4 were ever going to stay.

Some were not wanted that is true, but the likes of Tall Paul, Orsic, & Caleta Car, could all have done a job in the Championship, but they were just not happy with their lot, likewise Salisu & Bella Kotchap, one sold and the other out on loan.

The run of defeats had no bearing, at the close of the transfer window we were unbeaten with 3 wins & a draw from the first 4 games.

I am not sure what you expect RM to say, clearly he inherited a squad in turmoil and with Leeds & Leicester still retaining the core of their squads, privately the club and RM would be looking at a play off place as the minimum at the start of the season, but top two as the target.

Bear in mind that at the start of the season many Saints fans were suggesting mid table at best, some said we would be in a relegation battle.

You are taking his words too literally, as I said now we are going into the play offs Russell Martin has to motivate his squad, he has to talk it up, show me a manager who has ever gone into the play offs saying that his team has failed badly and that being in the play offs shows a lack of ambition.

I have not been happy with Russell Martin over the past couple of months, but I find nothing offensive in what he said, in fact Daniel Farke is saying pretty much the same message to the media in Yorkshire and in truth Leeds have blown it more than us.

You are right the club should look long and hard at the managerial set up in the summer, that is the time to do so and that is the same for Saints supporters, now is not the time to get uppity with the manager, now is the time to get behind him as we go into the play offs with just about the best record over the last 7 games than any of the other play off sides, we need to focus on that and so should Russell Martin.

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

I've tried, but I can't accept it on 11:42 - May 7 with 788 viewswibbersda

Get a Grip mate!
I've tried, but I can't accept it on 14:46 - May 7 with 616 viewssaint901

Good afternoon Mr SaintNick

The key point I wanted to emphasis but was perhaps lost is that RMs latest statements seem to be directed, not at bolstering the confidence of the team and giving them good vibes ahead of games coming up but rather defending himself and his methods. IN other words he seems to be getting his retaliation in first.

Further, football players are by and large not the most articulate of people and nuances in messaging will often be lost or misinterpreted. They will take a literal meaning over a metaphor any day.

If RM is saying things in a more direct manner to his players but trying to paint a picture for the owners and the media that is different, this is dangerous ground. He risks building a false edifice which - should it crash and burn - will destroy his, and our club's, integrity.

It's also very unsettling for him to be claiming credit for something that at the end of the day is in his job description.
I've tried, but I can't accept it on 15:09 - May 7 with 586 viewsDorsetIan

I guess sometimes someone in a managerial position has a duty to talk thing up/put the most positive spin on things.

He's good at this. The way he slapped down criticism of Bazuna early in the season sent out a confident message and surely didn't do Bazuna or the team any harm, even if the reality about Bazuna (as Dirk will tell us) is very different.

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024