Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
2106 10:40 - Feb 14 with 4680 viewsLuke8686

Home fans yesterday. Apologies for adding to the trillions of threads on crowds but it just shows how far we've got to go to get the numbers up to an acceptable/sustainable league one level.
2106 on 10:59 - Feb 14 with 4623 views442Dale

There were 2638 home fans v Burton. It was an Academy Day for that game: http://www.rochdaleafc.co.uk/news/article/academy-day-2921701.aspx
If the 150 mentioned turned up with some parents etc then it obviously had an effect. How were tickets distributed for this? 

The info received from the club on the uptake of ST vouchers indicates that method of doing it isn't working so well. http://www.daletrust.co.uk/2015/12/3402/
"What are the percentages of season ticket holders who used their 'bring a friend' vouchers for the games the promotion has been run this season?

Reply :
Scunthorpe 10.5%
Wigan 6.3%
Coventry 10%"

So what lessons are learnt from these schemes? Should we look at making it easier for potential supporters to take advantage of offers initially?

One example, the kids going free on Tuesday: it's a great idea especially with the ability to access other offers through the envelope of vouchers for places during half term. However why limit it to tickets having to be purchased in advance and when accompanied by a full paying adult?

What about the teenagers who go to games with their mates, can't they just turn up on the night and go through the turnstile (or if really necessary go and get a ticket from the office before going in)? They might drag a couple of friends along if it was that easy, and surely that's the point - getting more people in the ground. Just like the Academy Day.
The voucher envelopes are still a really good idea and will be accessed by those who purchase in advance with the adult ticket. It's just a case of ensuring as many potential fans are able to go, and reducing any unnecessary barriers to their decision.
[Post edited 14 Feb 2016 11:00]

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

2106 on 11:13 - Feb 14 with 4576 viewsDomDale

Our crowds are worse than when we were plodding along mid table in L2 15 years ago. The club is so lacklustre at promoting itself yet really basic attempts like fixture "posters" (in reality a JPEG image circulated on Social Media) are applauded because that's the best we'll come up with.
Over the years I've signed up to numerous sports teams mailing lists as I've bought tickets as a neutral. I'm regularly contacted in the run up to matches via email, text and sometimes phone calls to remind me of matches to give me the ticket prices to tell me about offers, the team's current form etc. Sale Sharks text me every Friday before their games asking if I've got plans for the weekend and the details of upcoming fixture. RAFC must have tens of thousands of email addresses and mobile numbers on its files. Why are we not doing similar? The cost to set up and administrate mass mailings is negligible and when done properly pays for itself.

The "bring a friend" or "bring a kid" promotions are a good idea executed poorly. Why apply barriers to buying the ticket? If I'm correct one has to queue up in person to get the ticket in advance to take part in the offer. Why? When it's pissing down with rain most people just won't bother.

KHBA
Poll: Preferred next Tory Leader / PM

2106 on 11:18 - Feb 14 with 4559 viewsD_Alien

When I saw the title of this thread I thought at first it was a badly-typed header about what Dale might do in 2016

I wonder how many of those who gave yesterday a miss might've been planning on going Tuesday instead (2 lots of cash in 3 days is still a lot these days), but will now not bother?

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

2106 on 11:41 - Feb 14 with 4498 viewsLuke8686

2106 on 11:18 - Feb 14 by D_Alien

When I saw the title of this thread I thought at first it was a badly-typed header about what Dale might do in 2016

I wonder how many of those who gave yesterday a miss might've been planning on going Tuesday instead (2 lots of cash in 3 days is still a lot these days), but will now not bother?

Funny you should mention that, I am mildly dyslexic.
2106 on 13:08 - Feb 14 with 4313 viewsTalkingSutty

2106 on 11:13 - Feb 14 by DomDale

Our crowds are worse than when we were plodding along mid table in L2 15 years ago. The club is so lacklustre at promoting itself yet really basic attempts like fixture "posters" (in reality a JPEG image circulated on Social Media) are applauded because that's the best we'll come up with.
Over the years I've signed up to numerous sports teams mailing lists as I've bought tickets as a neutral. I'm regularly contacted in the run up to matches via email, text and sometimes phone calls to remind me of matches to give me the ticket prices to tell me about offers, the team's current form etc. Sale Sharks text me every Friday before their games asking if I've got plans for the weekend and the details of upcoming fixture. RAFC must have tens of thousands of email addresses and mobile numbers on its files. Why are we not doing similar? The cost to set up and administrate mass mailings is negligible and when done properly pays for itself.

The "bring a friend" or "bring a kid" promotions are a good idea executed poorly. Why apply barriers to buying the ticket? If I'm correct one has to queue up in person to get the ticket in advance to take part in the offer. Why? When it's pissing down with rain most people just won't bother.

I think a lot of the lapsed supporters are ones that we will never get back, watching football is an expensive hobby and many just can't afford it.

Twenty Five quid to get into the Bradford game next Saturday and that's for a lower league football match, we pay it because following your team is a habit, a bad habit at times. Twenty Five quid is bloody ridiculous though and you can't blame anybody for refusing to pay it. The average cost for a Bradford supporter at the same game will probably be about 50% less, it's discrimination against away supporters and in this day and age shouldn't be happening.

Once fans stop going to games it's very difficult to entice them back when they look at the cost implications. The fact that supporters are often taken for granted and treated like idiots ( recent Stadium searches) is also another factor.
2106 on 13:35 - Feb 14 with 4249 views442Dale

Interesting "On This Day" story on this site from 2008:
http://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/rochdale/news/694/kids-for-free-declared-a

The intiative to allow under 12's into Spotland for free on Tuesday night has been considered a major success having looked at the attendance figures for the game.

Our resident club statto (but not betting expert) TVOS has sent in the following mail after the game versus Hereford on Tuesday night, and upon reading it, you'd have declare the Kids Free a very worthwhile exercise.

"Thought you'd like to know that the crowd tonight was our highest ever at home to Hereford. When you think many of the previous games will have been on Saturdays, it's a good achievement.

The crowd was also 400 up on the equivalent Tuesday midweek match last season, which we'd gone into on the back of 2 wins and a draw and not 2 defeats, like this one.

The crowd was only 31 less than for the Stockport game in November, but if you take off away fans, you are left with 2709 Dale fans tonight and 2063 v Stockport, an increase of 31.3%.

Tonight's gate was bigger than the crowds for all 3 midweek league games at Spotland last season (Grimsby, Torquay and Swindon) and 738 up on last season's league game with Hereford, which was played on a Saturday.

Tonight also saw Dale suffer their worst ever home result v Hereford!!

Not scientific facts or easily proven, but it appears as though the Kids Come Free campaign was a success, even if the result spoiled it somewhat."

2106 on 13:49 - Feb 14 with 4205 viewsBuryyyy

Tinpot turnout as expected. Even at our lowest ebb we don't get crowds that low. We get more on a Tuesday against Crewe than you get on Saturday against Millwall.
2106 on 13:51 - Feb 14 with 4199 viewsTVOS1907

2106 on 13:49 - Feb 14 by Buryyyy

Tinpot turnout as expected. Even at our lowest ebb we don't get crowds that low. We get more on a Tuesday against Crewe than you get on Saturday against Millwall.

Well done. It won't get you any more points.

Now remember that post of yours after we conceded six at Barnsley.....

Undoubted knowledge? Or just the application of common sense and using my brain?

Login to get fewer ads

2106 on 13:55 - Feb 14 with 4187 viewsBuryyyy

2106 on 13:51 - Feb 14 by TVOS1907

Well done. It won't get you any more points.

Now remember that post of yours after we conceded six at Barnsley.....

Wasn't me pal. I have no problem admitting we are dogshit. 6-0 against an out of form team says it all. We will go down with Flitcroft in charge and have away trips to Forest Green.
2106 on 14:06 - Feb 14 with 4149 viewsLuke8686

Really?

http://www.skysports.com/football/bury-vs-stevenage/282449
2106 on 14:06 - Feb 14 with 4147 views442Dale

You've never had a home crowd lower?

Please provide evidence that even at your lowest ebb, or any other ebb, than you don't get crowds that low.

2106 on 14:07 - Feb 14 with 4144 viewsTVOS1907

2106 on 13:55 - Feb 14 by Buryyyy

Wasn't me pal. I have no problem admitting we are dogshit. 6-0 against an out of form team says it all. We will go down with Flitcroft in charge and have away trips to Forest Green.

Yes, it was you, pal.

Undoubted knowledge? Or just the application of common sense and using my brain?

2106 on 14:23 - Feb 14 with 4096 viewsrobbowood

So what ?

You must be the only person on the planet who seems to think there is some point in comparing the crowd Bury get on a Tuesday night against Crewe with what we get against Millwall on a Saturday

Never let the facts get in the way of a good story but wasn't Bury's crowd against Hartlepool in Feburary 1984 the sum total of 1565 - or is it that you are of the opinion BFC weren't at their lowest ebb at this time and so you ignore it
2106 on 14:52 - Feb 14 with 4024 viewsdingdangblue

You won't have a league club to support soon so do one you boring c-unt.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

2106 on 17:34 - Feb 14 with 3812 viewsNewbury_Dale

Too many people disaffected by the clubs policy in the transfer market. Every decent player sold, and when was the last time we signed a player who wasn't either a broken toy or a loan ? Ambition and bravery might just put a few more bums on seats.
[Post edited 14 Feb 2016 17:35]
2106 on 17:35 - Feb 14 with 3810 views442Dale

2106 on 17:34 - Feb 14 by Newbury_Dale

Too many people disaffected by the clubs policy in the transfer market. Every decent player sold, and when was the last time we signed a player who wasn't either a broken toy or a loan ? Ambition and bravery might just put a few more bums on seats.
[Post edited 14 Feb 2016 17:35]

We'd just sold Glenn Murray and brought in broken toy Rene Howe in on loan before that Hereford game mentioned above.

2106 on 17:50 - Feb 14 with 3759 viewsNewbury_Dale

2106 on 17:35 - Feb 14 by 442Dale

We'd just sold Glenn Murray and brought in broken toy Rene Howe in on loan before that Hereford game mentioned above.

Don't really see the point in the comparison. Totally different landscape now. We've had a major economic depression which is probably still affecting many in Rochdale. More televised football than ever before. We've got a resurgent Manchester City. We've got a changing local demography. Meanwhile what is the club doing to capture the imagination of the community ?
[Post edited 14 Feb 2016 17:51]
2106 on 17:52 - Feb 14 with 3743 views442Dale

2106 on 17:50 - Feb 14 by Newbury_Dale

Don't really see the point in the comparison. Totally different landscape now. We've had a major economic depression which is probably still affecting many in Rochdale. More televised football than ever before. We've got a resurgent Manchester City. We've got a changing local demography. Meanwhile what is the club doing to capture the imagination of the community ?
[Post edited 14 Feb 2016 17:51]

I agree, just not on the fact about how we recruit. We're doing now what we did then, it's proven to be successful.

2106 on 19:33 - Feb 14 with 3587 viewsTalkingSutty

2106 on 17:52 - Feb 14 by 442Dale

I agree, just not on the fact about how we recruit. We're doing now what we did then, it's proven to be successful.

It's a gamble but the most pro-active way of attracting back the missing supporters is to do a Bradford City and massively reduce the cost of season tickets. Something like 200 quid for an adult season ticket and promote it at less than a tenner to watch live football or work out the year when it was 8/9 pounds to get into a game and highlight that year ( maybe 1999).

As a club we would make excellent Russian Spies, we keep everything to ourselves and are crap at giving out information. Promote it to the hilt and start this month regarding renewing season tickets for 2016/17. Promoting means getting out in the town and utilising the media outlets not just putting something on the website and in the Ob.

It could mean we end up losing money initially but I don't think it would be that much, it would attract interest and also extra supporters.Its the only way I can see of putting another 1000 on the gate. These are the best days of our life's and our home support seems to have suffered as a result of getting promoted,what's the reason?

Maybe the powers that be think that selling a player for 200-300k will cover the cost of trying to attract an extra 500 fans every game and will also save on the costs incurred in that process.
2106 on 14:44 - Feb 15 with 3227 views442Dale

The free kid's ticket offer can now be taken advantage of up until kick off:

http://www.rochdaleafc.co.uk/news/article/kids-go-free-update-claim-your-tickets

2106 on 15:37 - Feb 15 with 3148 viewsKenBoon

2106 on 14:44 - Feb 15 by 442Dale

The free kid's ticket offer can now be taken advantage of up until kick off:

http://www.rochdaleafc.co.uk/news/article/kids-go-free-update-claim-your-tickets

This promotion is not available via our online ticketing site.

...part of the problem.
2106 on 16:10 - Feb 15 with 3103 viewsDomDale

2106 on 15:37 - Feb 15 by KenBoon

...part of the problem.

Precisely what I mean by putting barriers in place to stop floating fans taking advantage of the offers.
Why make it purchase in advance at all? Surely all it needs is to educate the turnstile staff that the offer exists and make it cash turnstile. K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Stupid.

Also think it's a bit shitty we aren't extending the offer to Crewe fans, I know I'd be peeved it was the other way round.

KHBA
Poll: Preferred next Tory Leader / PM

2106 on 16:24 - Feb 15 with 3073 viewsSalwaDale

While the club is undoubtedly poor at promoting the club I do think price is a massive, massive issue. Price never used to be an issue for me when it came to football. Over the last few years it became that - costing an incredible amount for a family of 4 to attend a game.

TBBT

2106 on 16:40 - Feb 15 with 3028 viewsBFC

2106 on 16:10 - Feb 15 by DomDale

Precisely what I mean by putting barriers in place to stop floating fans taking advantage of the offers.
Why make it purchase in advance at all? Surely all it needs is to educate the turnstile staff that the offer exists and make it cash turnstile. K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Stupid.

Also think it's a bit shitty we aren't extending the offer to Crewe fans, I know I'd be peeved it was the other way round.

It is poor when offers aren't extended to away fans.
We did an offer once on a Tues night vs. Torquay, their travelers, (about 80! ) were not able to take part! Pathetic and embarrassing to say the least!
Not sure bring a friend and those sort of things do much good tbh. I'm sure people who would come anyway take advantage - the little scamps!
Free kids is worth doing for the long term effect though, we should both be doing that almost permanently in my opinion?
2106 on 16:45 - Feb 15 with 2997 viewswindowsbug

We stopped going away because of the excessive prices for away fans.
We now do other things when Dale are away.
We won't be going away again.
Do I miss going to away games...No. I thought I would but drug is now out of my system.
I can also afford to go to expensive places for a holiday now.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024