Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Total humiliation?? 07:22 - Mar 13 with 7996 viewsTalkingSutty

Yesterday will be forever etched into the memory, a complete embarrassment if you are associated with bury football club. Ninety minutes of pure dominance and a total surrender by the opposition.

They didn't have the stomach and that's one game that will be regurgitated for years to come. It reminded me of our 7-2 demolition of Stockport at Edgley Park a few years ago. Everybody associated with bury should hang their heads in shame, a diabolical performance!!
Total humiliation?? on 07:24 - Mar 13 with 6484 viewsTVOS1907

Agree.

Ignore the thumbs down - caught it by mistake.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Total humiliation?? on 07:58 - Mar 13 with 6392 viewsnordenblue

Total humiliation?? on 07:24 - Mar 13 by TVOS1907

Agree.

There's also a distinct lack of the usual bury crowd counters for some unknown reason,we could do with some photo evidence too if burrryyy could enlighten us all again?
Total humiliation?? on 08:08 - Mar 13 with 6367 viewsTVOS1907

Total humiliation?? on 07:58 - Mar 13 by nordenblue

There's also a distinct lack of the usual bury crowd counters for some unknown reason,we could do with some photo evidence too if burrryyy could enlighten us all again?

They're all too busy being bitter and slitting their wrists on Mong Central.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Total humiliation?? on 09:12 - Mar 13 with 6203 views442Dale

Said it yesterday, I can't remember many worse performances by an opposition team at Spotland in decades. It was that bad.

For Flitcroft to come out and talk about injuries was incredibly poor. When it's that bad and you have players out on the pitch who are letting the club down, it needs addressing.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Total humiliation?? on 09:24 - Mar 13 with 6153 viewsroccydaleian

Total humiliation?? on 07:24 - Mar 13 by TVOS1907

Agree.

Ditto.
Total humiliation?? on 09:29 - Mar 13 with 6135 viewsTalkingSutty

Total humiliation?? on 09:12 - Mar 13 by 442Dale

Said it yesterday, I can't remember many worse performances by an opposition team at Spotland in decades. It was that bad.

For Flitcroft to come out and talk about injuries was incredibly poor. When it's that bad and you have players out on the pitch who are letting the club down, it needs addressing.

Flitcroft just insults people's intelligence, he's lost himself in his own self importance and needs to take a reality check. When he spouts about bury working on a small budget does he honestly think the fans are daft. It's been a constant revolving turnstile of players going in and out of the club and rather than work with what he has,his answer is to keep recruiting in the hope he might stumble on to the right recipe.

Another one who shows the fans no respect and thinks he can control their opinions and manipulate them, honestly they have a high opinion of themselves don't they? The bury fans are obviously biting back and they are right to do so.
Total humiliation?? on 09:43 - Mar 13 with 6087 viewsColDale

I don't give much credit to when people say a manager has lost a dressing room, but that Bury performance yesterday was beyond woeful. They might have one or two missing but they looked a shadow of the side that deservedly stuffed us in the FA Cup.

For starters, I couldn't believe they didn't start with Rose. He might have been in poor form recently, but having got the winner at Spotland when we couldn't cope with him at set pieces, you'd have thought he'd start and be asked to show a repeat performance. By the time he came on, it was game over.

The most telling moment of the game for me was the first minute of the second half. I know its an old cliché that 2-0 is an uncomfortable lead, so I was expecting Bury to come with renewed vigour, throw themselves into tackles and get the diminishing away support back on track. But within thirty seconds, you could see that we were not going to see anything from them at all. If they couldn't show a reaction to that first half, they never will.

I still think Flicker has the potential to make it as a manager as long as he ditches the kid in a sweet shop approach and just focuses on what he's got rather than tinkering. He reminded me a bit yesterday of Steve Eyre with Soares having a new position every five minutes. Keep it simple, give players their jobs and stop treating the team like some Championship Manager game.

There's no coming back from him at Bury now, and their inability to bring in a centre half is proof that the free spending has come to an end, and they won't be able to free up wages in the Summer as no one will be interested in taking over those contracts. It won't happen this season, but they looked like a side that could go into freefall, with someone suggesting after the game that they looked like a side affected by off the field matters.
Total humiliation?? on 10:12 - Mar 13 with 6006 viewsaleanddale

Total humiliation?? on 09:43 - Mar 13 by ColDale

I don't give much credit to when people say a manager has lost a dressing room, but that Bury performance yesterday was beyond woeful. They might have one or two missing but they looked a shadow of the side that deservedly stuffed us in the FA Cup.

For starters, I couldn't believe they didn't start with Rose. He might have been in poor form recently, but having got the winner at Spotland when we couldn't cope with him at set pieces, you'd have thought he'd start and be asked to show a repeat performance. By the time he came on, it was game over.

The most telling moment of the game for me was the first minute of the second half. I know its an old cliché that 2-0 is an uncomfortable lead, so I was expecting Bury to come with renewed vigour, throw themselves into tackles and get the diminishing away support back on track. But within thirty seconds, you could see that we were not going to see anything from them at all. If they couldn't show a reaction to that first half, they never will.

I still think Flicker has the potential to make it as a manager as long as he ditches the kid in a sweet shop approach and just focuses on what he's got rather than tinkering. He reminded me a bit yesterday of Steve Eyre with Soares having a new position every five minutes. Keep it simple, give players their jobs and stop treating the team like some Championship Manager game.

There's no coming back from him at Bury now, and their inability to bring in a centre half is proof that the free spending has come to an end, and they won't be able to free up wages in the Summer as no one will be interested in taking over those contracts. It won't happen this season, but they looked like a side that could go into freefall, with someone suggesting after the game that they looked like a side affected by off the field matters.

Great post Col agree with everything you said.

Flicker and Day deserve each other. They are running bury into the dirt so long may the chummy association continue!!
Login to get fewer ads

Total humiliation?? on 10:32 - Mar 13 with 5931 viewsBFC

Can't argue with any of that Col.
Soares is one of our best players but he's not that good that he can play in every position on the park a la Ruud Gullit!
A toothless stuffing is always hard to take, but in a derby it's even harder.
4-0 at Bolton under Warnock, 4-0 at Oldham under Preece and now this.
Flitcroft has lost the changing room along with about 2/3rds of the support - it might be all over for him soon.
Fair play to you lot on your well deserved win - just one complaint- you should have doubled the score!
Total humiliation?? on 10:37 - Mar 13 with 5914 viewsThe_DJ

A tad harsh

Thought bury were simply beaten by superior football ability, more passion and players prepared to run themselves into the ground for Rochdale.

The shyte of Lancashire bury FC, long may they suffer.
Total humiliation?? on 10:38 - Mar 13 with 5895 viewsThe_DJ

Col

It's bury.
Total humiliation?? on 13:12 - Mar 13 with 5630 viewsrobbowood

Agent Flitcroft certainly did us proud yesterday

From the Bury Forum
The defence kept a clean sheet last week, so Flitcroft makes two changes. A midfield player in a mask at centre half and a complete dead leg at left back. Brown, who has performed ok at centre half, in midfield. A 37 year old striker playing on his own up front. Mayor playing in the middle and the new lad out left. Flitcroft realised after half an hour he'd got it totally wrong, but the damage was done
Total humiliation?? on 14:09 - Mar 13 with 5516 viewsdalestats

Total humiliation?? on 13:12 - Mar 13 by robbowood

Agent Flitcroft certainly did us proud yesterday

From the Bury Forum
The defence kept a clean sheet last week, so Flitcroft makes two changes. A midfield player in a mask at centre half and a complete dead leg at left back. Brown, who has performed ok at centre half, in midfield. A 37 year old striker playing on his own up front. Mayor playing in the middle and the new lad out left. Flitcroft realised after half an hour he'd got it totally wrong, but the damage was done

Rumours yesterday that Eagles put off a potential loanee by criticism of training methods etc

Poll: Remain in the eu

Total humiliation?? on 14:19 - Mar 13 with 5477 viewsfitzochris

Total humiliation?? on 14:09 - Mar 13 by dalestats

Rumours yesterday that Eagles put off a potential loanee by criticism of training methods etc

Wouldn't surprise me.

I've heard it said that numerous players have complained about the training, that it comprises of nothing more than fitness work and small-sided games, with no coaching or practical match preparation other than long-winded talks.

I've also heard quite a lot of stock was put in Mayor and Hussey being sold in January but the phone didn't ring once.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Total humiliation?? on 14:34 - Mar 13 with 5427 views1mark1

Total humiliation?? on 14:19 - Mar 13 by fitzochris

Wouldn't surprise me.

I've heard it said that numerous players have complained about the training, that it comprises of nothing more than fitness work and small-sided games, with no coaching or practical match preparation other than long-winded talks.

I've also heard quite a lot of stock was put in Mayor and Hussey being sold in January but the phone didn't ring once.

So they have first class training facilities that are as good as most Premiership clubs, but have a set of coaches that can't make proper use of them.

First class facilities, Fifth class coaches. Keep up the good work Fitcroft.👍
[Post edited 13 Mar 2016 18:42]

Poll: How much is your support for the Royals?

Total humiliation?? on 18:34 - Mar 13 with 5176 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Total humiliation?? on 14:19 - Mar 13 by fitzochris

Wouldn't surprise me.

Hussey was getting hyper one to one training in front of us in the Sandy during half time......and yes,I thought he might make a difference and cause us trouble with his quality deliveries........he did get plenty of space down our left and put in a few decent crosses but nothing to trouble our "backs"........and he soon disappeared into the mediocrity of the rest of the rabble team.
Total humiliation?? on 18:47 - Mar 13 with 5142 viewsTalkingSutty

Total humiliation?? on 18:34 - Mar 13 by Yorkshire_Dale

Hussey was getting hyper one to one training in front of us in the Sandy during half time......and yes,I thought he might make a difference and cause us trouble with his quality deliveries........he did get plenty of space down our left and put in a few decent crosses but nothing to trouble our "backs"........and he soon disappeared into the mediocrity of the rest of the rabble team.

They did have a player who stood out though, shone like a beacon in fact i thought, Craig Jones. If I could pick just one of theirs to recruit, he would be the one.
Total humiliation?? on 18:59 - Mar 13 with 5111 viewsRespectTheChemistry

I'm afraid Flicker falls into the same category as Stuart Pearce when it comes to football management: they were both 'run through brick wall' type players who would motivate and inspire those around them but, unfortunately, lack the necessary tactical/managerial nous to succeed as managers. That motivational ability can generate success for a time but if there isn't tactical nous to back it up, players will inevitably see through it and lose faith. It happened to Pearce in every managerial job he had and it seems to be happening to Flicker as it did in his second season at Barnsley. Flicker's enthusiasm and motivating was obviously a vital part of the Hillcroft era but it's just not enough on its own.

We know well enough the doublespeak that Hilly has spouted over the years but he's always backed it up by developing players and putting very good/excellent teams together on limited resources. Whilst our patience has been tested this season by the time it has taken to address shortcomings at both ends of the pitch, we seem to have turned the corner. We've got Holty back (worth it for his glorious homecoming v Sheffield alone) and Canavan looks to be an excellent signing. Hopefully yesterday was the day Mendez-Laing 'came of age'. Hilly's reined in the doublespeak somewhat, although I've no idea what he was getting at when he referred to 'the politics of football' ( http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/35619174) Any suggestions?

It unravelled for him at Barnsley but he did lose key players and the margins in the Championship are much tighter.

Contrast that with what Flicker's doing at Bury and the difference is huge: scattergun signings, very large wage bill, deficiences throughout the team and a bottom half finish firmly on the cards. With the money they've spent, anything less than a play-off spot will be almost inexcusable. Flicker's floundering and his doublespeak sounds increasingly ridiculous and desperate: I think it was after the hammering at Barnsley that he talked about "building a side" for the following game. Really? Three quarters of the way through the season?

We embarrassed Bury yesterday with a much smaller budget thanks to an exceptional manager and a very committed group of players with no little talent. Hopefully we can match or better last season's finish, which would be a huge achievement for a club of our size. Even if we don't manage that, it looks highly likely we'll be finishing a good few places above Bury.
Total humiliation?? on 19:23 - Mar 13 with 5049 viewsTalkingSutty

Total humiliation?? on 18:59 - Mar 13 by RespectTheChemistry

I'm afraid Flicker falls into the same category as Stuart Pearce when it comes to football management: they were both 'run through brick wall' type players who would motivate and inspire those around them but, unfortunately, lack the necessary tactical/managerial nous to succeed as managers. That motivational ability can generate success for a time but if there isn't tactical nous to back it up, players will inevitably see through it and lose faith. It happened to Pearce in every managerial job he had and it seems to be happening to Flicker as it did in his second season at Barnsley. Flicker's enthusiasm and motivating was obviously a vital part of the Hillcroft era but it's just not enough on its own.

We know well enough the doublespeak that Hilly has spouted over the years but he's always backed it up by developing players and putting very good/excellent teams together on limited resources. Whilst our patience has been tested this season by the time it has taken to address shortcomings at both ends of the pitch, we seem to have turned the corner. We've got Holty back (worth it for his glorious homecoming v Sheffield alone) and Canavan looks to be an excellent signing. Hopefully yesterday was the day Mendez-Laing 'came of age'. Hilly's reined in the doublespeak somewhat, although I've no idea what he was getting at when he referred to 'the politics of football' ( http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/35619174) Any suggestions?

It unravelled for him at Barnsley but he did lose key players and the margins in the Championship are much tighter.

Contrast that with what Flicker's doing at Bury and the difference is huge: scattergun signings, very large wage bill, deficiences throughout the team and a bottom half finish firmly on the cards. With the money they've spent, anything less than a play-off spot will be almost inexcusable. Flicker's floundering and his doublespeak sounds increasingly ridiculous and desperate: I think it was after the hammering at Barnsley that he talked about "building a side" for the following game. Really? Three quarters of the way through the season?

We embarrassed Bury yesterday with a much smaller budget thanks to an exceptional manager and a very committed group of players with no little talent. Hopefully we can match or better last season's finish, which would be a huge achievement for a club of our size. Even if we don't manage that, it looks highly likely we'll be finishing a good few places above Bury.

Excellent post.
Total humiliation?? on 19:49 - Mar 13 with 4994 viewsfermin

After the game I overheard one Bury fan saying to another one that they could not sack Flicker as he was on £250k a year. No idea if that it is true, but if it is it seems an extraordinarily high salary.
Total humiliation?? on 20:01 - Mar 13 with 4954 viewsnordenblue

Total humiliation?? on 19:49 - Mar 13 by fermin

After the game I overheard one Bury fan saying to another one that they could not sack Flicker as he was on £250k a year. No idea if that it is true, but if it is it seems an extraordinarily high salary.

That probably sounds about right tbf
Total humiliation?? on 20:03 - Mar 13 with 4947 viewsTalkingSutty

Total humiliation?? on 19:49 - Mar 13 by fermin

I wouldn't think 5k a week is out of the ordinary when it comes to the salary of league one managers. When you think what some of their players must be earning then it's not surprising that Flitcroft will be on a good wage. I would imagine Hilly is also well rewarded.
Total humiliation?? on 00:04 - Mar 14 with 4691 viewsD_Alien

Total humiliation?? on 19:23 - Mar 13 by TalkingSutty

Excellent post.

Replied to wrong post, edited
[Post edited 14 Mar 2016 0:18]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Total humiliation?? on 00:17 - Mar 14 with 4674 viewsD_Alien

Re: the politics of football

Sounds like he's realised how "the philosophy of football" sounds ridiculous (having heard Flicker?) and just tried a different tack

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Total humiliation?? on 01:01 - Mar 14 with 4631 viewsdownunder

Total humiliation?? on 14:34 - Mar 13 by 1mark1

So they have first class training facilities that are as good as most Premiership clubs, but have a set of coaches that can't make proper use of them.

First class facilities, Fifth class coaches. Keep up the good work Fitcroft.👍
[Post edited 13 Mar 2016 18:42]

"It's been a real tough week. I've got players out there who physically weren't really prepared for the game".

"We've got to get the right bodies in now and make sure we've got enough covering in every position to get over the line."

I am sure I have heard that before, but it usually comes from Rugby coaches.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024