Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
RIP.......The Greatest!! 06:23 - Jun 4 with 6137 viewsTalkingSutty

The most famous man on the planet has passed away. What a terrible start to the day, the only person I ever hero worshipped. The death of an icon, Ali was as famous as Elvis Presley, both true legends.

Memories of my childhood, sneaking my transistor radio into bed and listening to his fights live from Madison Square Gardens etc at some ungodly hour, usually about 4 AM in the morning.

I had dinner with Ali's trainer Angelo Dundee and Marvin Hagler* twenty years ago in an Italian Restaurant at Hollingworth Lake and have a personalised signed Photograph of Ali, not a bad claim to fame. Angelo just referred to him as 'Champ' all the time. He was very ill, even twenty odd years ago.

* Marvin Hagler lived in Milan at the time and had started a Acting career. He was in the middle of making a Spaghetti Western which he was quite excited about, i don't know if he ever completed it.
[Post edited 4 Jun 2016 6:53]
RIP.......The Greatest!! on 06:59 - Jun 4 with 5228 viewsDiddyDave

Yes,a tremendous boxer and entertainer,what he couldn`t do with his fists,he did with his mouth! Who can forget those hilarious interviews with Eamonn Andrews and Michael Parkinson,his battles with the American Draught Board who tried to induct him into the American Army. "Those Viet Cong don`t call me the N word,so why should I go and fight them",and rightly so.
As they said,we`ll never see his likes again.
RIP.......The Greatest!! on 07:31 - Jun 4 with 5200 viewsD_Alien

I remember listening to those fights on the radio in the early 60s against Sonny Liston. It can genuinely be said that his personality allied to his boxing prowess changed the world of sport, and for black Americans, changed their lives.

He did enough in those early days to earn the title: Legend. Post-jail (for refusing the draft) he came back, when everyone said it was impossible, and earned that title again. His health then suffered a long, slow decline, but not his stature or his dignity. RIP now.

[Post edited 4 Jun 2016 7:33]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

RIP.......The Greatest!! on 08:48 - Jun 4 with 5116 viewsDiddyDave

That fight with Henry Cooper on BBC radio was fantastic. Our `Enery knocked the then Clay over at the end of the fourth round with a perfect left hook. Clay was Disneyland in his corner,but somehow Angelo Dundee found a split in Clay`s glove and it had to be changed giving him a few more vital seconds to clear his scrambled brain. Cooper started to bleed a couple of rounds later and that was that,but Clay realised that he wasn`t unbeatable after all. The two Liston fights both ended in controversy,in the first one,Sonny packed it in at the end of the sixth round,then lay down in the second to a punch that was more like a tap. Still,Ali`s two fights with Smokin` Joe were classics,the Thriller in Manila just about the best I ever saw.
RIP.......The Greatest!! on 09:06 - Jun 4 with 5086 viewsTalkingSutty

RIP.......The Greatest!! on 08:48 - Jun 4 by DiddyDave

That fight with Henry Cooper on BBC radio was fantastic. Our `Enery knocked the then Clay over at the end of the fourth round with a perfect left hook. Clay was Disneyland in his corner,but somehow Angelo Dundee found a split in Clay`s glove and it had to be changed giving him a few more vital seconds to clear his scrambled brain. Cooper started to bleed a couple of rounds later and that was that,but Clay realised that he wasn`t unbeatable after all. The two Liston fights both ended in controversy,in the first one,Sonny packed it in at the end of the sixth round,then lay down in the second to a punch that was more like a tap. Still,Ali`s two fights with Smokin` Joe were classics,the Thriller in Manila just about the best I ever saw.

'I'm so fast I can turn the bedroom light off and get in bed before it goes dark'
RIP.......The Greatest!! on 09:18 - Jun 4 with 5067 viewsroccydaleian

RIP.......The Greatest!! on 09:06 - Jun 4 by TalkingSutty

'I'm so fast I can turn the bedroom light off and get in bed before it goes dark'

I make medicine sick... R.I.P.
[Post edited 4 Jun 2016 18:04]
RIP.......The Greatest!! on 09:24 - Jun 4 with 5049 viewsTalkingSutty

RIP.......The Greatest!! on 09:18 - Jun 4 by roccydaleian

I make medicine sick... R.I.P.
[Post edited 4 Jun 2016 18:04]

'That Fraziers so ugly,when he cries the tears turn around and roll down the back of his head'

'Ugly Joe ( Frazier) once had a dream that he had knocked me out.....He rang me up the following morning to apologise'
[Post edited 4 Jun 2016 9:35]
RIP.......The Greatest!! on 09:45 - Jun 4 with 5009 views1mark1

True legend. Very sad news, great boxer-the best, great sportsman-one of the very best and a great man, and entertainer.

Poll: How much is your support for the Royals?

RIP.......The Greatest!! on 10:30 - Jun 4 with 4966 viewsYouTubeDale

A Great loss. Those were exciting times watching Ali, never been bettered yet. RIP.

I work for a pharmaceutical company that manufactures a drug that vastly reduces the symptoms of Parkinson's disease. The world is getting better every day in trying to overcome illnesses.

Jesus saves but Beasley scores off the rebound.
Poll: Do you want Keith Hill to leave immediately?

Login to get fewer ads

RIP.......The Greatest!! on 11:57 - Jun 4 with 4865 viewsfrenzied

Courage ,Grace ,Style and Class..in and out of the ring
RIP.......The Greatest!! on 13:30 - Jun 4 with 4809 viewselectricblue

So sad to see a guy such as Alis stature become a shadow of himself over the decades..
There will never ever be another Ali.....

True great.....

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

RIP.......The Greatest!! on 14:01 - Jun 4 with 4791 viewsnordenblue

The word legend is used far far to easily when talking about sport people nowadays,there will never be a bigger legend than this man,RIP big man
RIP.......The Greatest!! on 16:08 - Jun 4 with 4722 viewsolympicdale

A true legend, in and outside the ring. There will never be another like him. RIP

Life is a game of fate.

RIP.......The Greatest!! on 18:06 - Jun 4 with 4651 viewsmingthemerciless

Probably up there as the best boxer ever at any weight. Rest in peace Champ.
RIP.......The Greatest!! on 23:20 - Jun 4 with 4535 viewsolympicdale

Listening to people talking about him and watching various tributes to him, I am disappointed I never got to see him, I would have loved him if he was around today, a comedian, a sporting and world icon. RIP

Life is a game of fate.

RIP.......The Greatest!! on 09:13 - Jun 5 with 4466 views1mark1

RIP.......The Greatest!! on 23:20 - Jun 4 by olympicdale

Listening to people talking about him and watching various tributes to him, I am disappointed I never got to see him, I would have loved him if he was around today, a comedian, a sporting and world icon. RIP

What it does show is that you have to try to make the most of such people when they are around. Yes there is You Tube etc to watch these great champs, entertainers of sport, music, arts etc, but seeing these people at the time is even better, so make the most of it.

Sometimes we have players at Dale, who maybe at the time we didn't realise just how good they were at the time.

Like Joni Mitchell said, "Don't it always seem to go
That you don't know what you've got
Till it's gone"

It's the same with a lot of things, even things like when your kids are young, make the most of the moment.

RIP.......The Greatest!! on 11:08 - Jun 5 with 4417 viewsD_Alien

RIP.......The Greatest!! on 09:13 - Jun 5 by 1mark1

What it does show is that you have to try to make the most of such people when they are around. Yes there is You Tube etc to watch these great champs, entertainers of sport, music, arts etc, but seeing these people at the time is even better, so make the most of it.

Sometimes we have players at Dale, who maybe at the time we didn't realise just how good they were at the time.

Till it's gone"

It's the same with a lot of things, even things like when your kids are young, make the most of the moment.

Wise words, 1mark1

I'll add to your Joni Mitchell quote, with one from John Lennon:

"Life is what happens whilst you're busy making other plans"

The thing is, it's not about hero-worship. (TS and I seem to have a thing about this!).

For me, there are no heroes, because we're all flawed in some way. Ali, for instance, could be accused of huge hypocrisy over his actions and beliefs with regard to women. He had no compunction in abandoning them, doing so three times. In the end, it appears he was either loved or admired despite these human flaws.

Sometimes we expect too much from our sportmen and women. What makes a great sportsman more than just that - like Ali - is their influence in a wider context.

RIP.......The Greatest!! on 11:33 - Jun 5 with 4401 views1mark1

RIP.......The Greatest!! on 11:08 - Jun 5 by D_Alien

Wise words, 1mark1

The thing is, it's not about hero-worship. (TS and I seem to have a thing about this!).

For me, there are no heroes, because we're all flawed in some way. Ali, for instance, could be accused of huge hypocrisy over his actions and beliefs with regard to women. He had no compunction in abandoning them, doing so three times. In the end, it appears he was either loved or admired despite these human flaws.

Sometimes we expect too much from our sportmen and women. What makes a great sportsman more than just that - like Ali - is their influence in a wider context.

Absolutely agree D_Alien, he was far from perfect, and the issue of his attitude to women, especially when he talked about speaking for his wife is one I am very uncomfortable with.
However he did show how such a very well known celebrity could do so much good, and how important those in such positions use their voices and actions wisely .

RIP.......The Greatest!! on 12:55 - Jun 5 with 4372 viewsTalkingSutty

RIP.......The Greatest!! on 09:13 - Jun 5 by 1mark1

Till it's gone"

Coltsfoot Rock and Flying Saucers.
[Post edited 5 Jun 2016 13:02]
RIP.......The Greatest!! on 13:01 - Jun 5 with 4367 viewsTalkingSutty

RIP.......The Greatest!! on 11:08 - Jun 5 by D_Alien

Wise words, 1mark1

Agree, George Donnelly being the perfect example. To a stranger walking in off the street he was just a run of the mill lower league Footballer, but he was much more than that. He used to do things with a Football that beggered belief. Things that would halt conversation and make you really think about what you had just witnessed. They don't come along everyday and that's why they should be cherished...even Hero Worshipped!!

You don't know what you've got till its gone, George being the perfect example.
RIP.......The Greatest!! on 13:23 - Jun 5 with 4356 viewsD_Alien

RIP.......The Greatest!! on 13:01 - Jun 5 by TalkingSutty

Agree, George Donnelly being the perfect example. To a stranger walking in off the street he was just a run of the mill lower league Footballer, but he was much more than that. He used to do things with a Football that beggered belief. Things that would halt conversation and make you really think about what you had just witnessed. They don't come along everyday and that's why they should be cherished...even Hero Worshipped!!

Since we've become used to watching players of a higher standard at Dale than in previous decades, DS Donnelly (if you'll excuse the pun) stands as the perfect example of the Dale footballing anti-hero, which is pretty much the same as a hero really, in attracting attention and comment for their actions with a football.

A bit like matter/anti-matter. Or in Donnelly's case, gravity and anti-gravity. I'm sure that ball launched over the Sandy is still heading away from the earth at an ever-increasing velocity!

[Post edited 5 Jun 2016 13:24]

RIP.......The Greatest!! on 13:37 - Jun 5 with 4341 viewsTalkingSutty

RIP.......The Greatest!! on 13:23 - Jun 5 by D_Alien

Since we've become used to watching players of a higher standard at Dale than in previous decades, DS Donnelly (if you'll excuse the pun) stands as the perfect example of the Dale footballing anti-hero, which is pretty much the same as a hero really, in attracting attention and comment for their actions with a football.

A bit like matter/anti-matter. Or in Donnelly's case, gravity and anti-gravity. I'm sure that ball launched over the Sandy is still heading away from the earth at an ever-increasing velocity!

[Post edited 5 Jun 2016 13:24]

He excelled at clearing Football Stands when it came to attempts on goal. I put him alongside a Centre Half we had a few years ago,his surname was Sharp and I think he was on loan from Torquay. Another one who could kick the ball long distances for no apparant reason.
[Post edited 5 Jun 2016 16:15]
RIP.......The Greatest!! on 13:43 - Jun 5 with 4334 viewsYouTubeDale

RIP.......The Greatest!! on 13:01 - Jun 5 by TalkingSutty

Like scoring off his backside, or am I getting mixed up with one of our other Dale heroes? Anyway, no joking on this forum please !!!

Jesus saves but Beasley scores off the rebound.
Poll: Do you want Keith Hill to leave immediately?

RIP.......The Greatest!! on 16:20 - Jun 5 with 4279 viewsTalkingSutty

RIP.......The Greatest!! on 13:43 - Jun 5 by YouTubeDale

Like scoring off his backside, or am I getting mixed up with one of our other Dale heroes? Anyway, no joking on this forum please !!!

That's the beauty of being a Dale fan, you thrive on callous humour, it keeps you going.Being able to have a good chuckle at yourself is brill also, now there are deffo a few who can't get their head around that one.It's sacrilege.
[Post edited 5 Jun 2016 16:24]
RIP.......The Greatest!! on 18:22 - Jun 5 with 4236 viewsD_Alien

RIP.......The Greatest!! on 13:43 - Jun 5 by YouTubeDale

Talking of scoring off your backside...

Around 1973 we played Shrewsbury away and my dad, who had stopped going to games regularly some years previously, came along whilst we were staying with some relatives down that way. He'd seen Reg Jenkins play a few times but maintained he'd never seen him score. As Dale took the pitch, he started laughing and said "And he won't score today either looking at the size of that backside, he can barely run now!"

Needless to say, Reg scored as the ball hit his arse and bobbled over the line. We lost 3-2.

RIP.......The Greatest!! on 18:53 - Jun 5 with 4203 views49thseason

RIP.......The Greatest!! on 18:22 - Jun 5 by D_Alien

Talking of scoring off your backside...

Around 1973 we played Shrewsbury away and my dad, who had stopped going to games regularly some years previously, came along whilst we were staying with some relatives down that way. He'd seen Reg Jenkins play a few times but maintained he'd never seen him score. As Dale took the pitch, he started laughing and said "And he won't score today either looking at the size of that backside, he can barely run now!"

Needless to say, Reg scored as the ball hit his arse and bobbled over the line. We lost 3-2.

Or... in the immortal words of FS (Fred) Trueman when similarly criticised "it takes a big hammer to knock in a big nail"
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024