Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Quandary 20:05 - Nov 4 with 5917 viewsThe_DJ

Considering Bobby Grants Dale career was effectively ended as a result of an FA charge over 'words' spoken how does the club deal with this awful situation ?

Not saying the player should be pushed out but discipline has always been a priority for Hill.

Tough week ahead I think.
Quandary on 20:16 - Nov 4 with 5860 viewsdingdangblue

He's not pushed Hendo out yet who's been sent off 3 times ( 2 of those kicking out off the ball). Cant see a problem - Calvin has done wrong and been punished.

And Grant was innocent.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-24173413
[Post edited 4 Nov 2016 20:23]

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Quandary on 20:34 - Nov 4 with 5780 viewsThe_DJ

Quandary on 20:16 - Nov 4 by dingdangblue

He's not pushed Hendo out yet who's been sent off 3 times ( 2 of those kicking out off the ball). Cant see a problem - Calvin has done wrong and been punished.

And Grant was innocent.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-24173413
[Post edited 4 Nov 2016 20:23]

Yes he was found innocent.
Quandary on 20:35 - Nov 4 with 5773 viewsD_Alien

Fine Calvin. Through his red mist he's put himself out of contention for a chunk of the season, therefore he shouldn't be paid full whack during that period.

Then support him.

No quandary. Grant's words - whatever they were - came from a very different place to Calvin's human reaction to severe provocation.

[Post edited 4 Nov 2016 20:36]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Quandary on 21:09 - Nov 4 with 5678 viewsnordenblue

Quandary on 20:35 - Nov 4 by D_Alien

Fine Calvin. Through his red mist he's put himself out of contention for a chunk of the season, therefore he shouldn't be paid full whack during that period.

Then support him.

No quandary. Grant's words - whatever they were - came from a very different place to Calvin's human reaction to severe provocation.

[Post edited 4 Nov 2016 20:36]

I could be wrong but I think the maximum the club can possibly fine him is 2 weeks wages anyway without obviously going down the terminate his contract route etc....
Quandary on 09:48 - Nov 5 with 5341 viewsSteTsGoldenBoot

I thought Hilly wanted Bobby Grant to stay and advised him to do so?

So the FA charge was nothing to do with his departure, just moving to a then championship club for probably double the wage.

Everything thats been, has past. The answers in the looking glass!

Quandary on 12:16 - Nov 5 with 5226 viewsValleySaddler

Quandary on 09:48 - Nov 5 by SteTsGoldenBoot

So the FA charge was nothing to do with his departure, just moving to a then championship club for probably double the wage.

Exactly
Quandary on 12:21 - Nov 5 with 5212 viewsTVOS1907

That was my interpretation too, but I suppose it's not enough of a conspiracy theory.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Quandary on 12:40 - Nov 5 with 5172 viewsdingdangblue

Didn't we also get decent money off Blackpool - although it was rumoured Scunthorpe got 50% due to him coming to Dale for nowt.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10

Login to get fewer ads

Quandary on 12:54 - Nov 5 with 5153 viewsD_Dale

Quandary on 20:34 - Nov 4 by The_DJ

Yes he was found innocent.

He wasn't found innocent. He was found not guilty.

It wasn't his first court appearance but that earlier conviction didn't end his career. Players have been convicted of far worse offences that Andrew's and, after their punishment, have resumed their careers relatively untroubled (even Lee Hughes, who - at Oldham and elsewhere - seemed to shrug off the abuse he got from fans of rival clubs).

I'm apparently alone on this, but from the video I find it impossible to judge how badly Clarke was assaulted. He goes down like a sack of potatoes, but apparently no bones were broken. But it looks far from good, and I can see why the FA - who this season have tightened up on discipline, such as players getting booked for arguing with refs - threw the book at Andrew.

As for the club, their attitude seems to be 'if you are in a hole, stop digging', which is probably more sensible than issuing another statement. I'd expect the current brouhaha to die down long before his ban ends. Responding to any media attention with a dead bat is more likely to encourage the issue to blow over than adding more fuel to the fire.
Quandary on 13:08 - Nov 5 with 5120 viewsTVOS1907

Quandary on 12:54 - Nov 5 by D_Dale

He wasn't found innocent. He was found not guilty.

It wasn't his first court appearance but that earlier conviction didn't end his career. Players have been convicted of far worse offences that Andrew's and, after their punishment, have resumed their careers relatively untroubled (even Lee Hughes, who - at Oldham and elsewhere - seemed to shrug off the abuse he got from fans of rival clubs).

I'm apparently alone on this, but from the video I find it impossible to judge how badly Clarke was assaulted. He goes down like a sack of potatoes, but apparently no bones were broken. But it looks far from good, and I can see why the FA - who this season have tightened up on discipline, such as players getting booked for arguing with refs - threw the book at Andrew.

As for the club, their attitude seems to be 'if you are in a hole, stop digging', which is probably more sensible than issuing another statement. I'd expect the current brouhaha to die down long before his ban ends. Responding to any media attention with a dead bat is more likely to encourage the issue to blow over than adding more fuel to the fire.

I'm struggling to think of anyone who wouldn't have gone down like a sack of potatoes having been hit like that.

Quandary on 13:26 - Nov 5 with 5083 viewsD_Dale

Quandary on 13:08 - Nov 5 by TVOS1907

I'm struggling to think of anyone who wouldn't have gone down like a sack of potatoes having been hit like that.

And yet no broken nose, jaw or cheekbone. Apparently no concussion. A full-on elbow into the face is likely to produce some serious damage.

The video isn't clear enough to judge how hard Clarke was hit (and no nearby fans seem to have come forward as witnesses). I'm not condoning what Andrew did - on the contrary - but some of the reactions to his assault strike me as over the top.
Quandary on 14:04 - Nov 5 with 5011 viewsDaleiLama

Quandary on 13:26 - Nov 5 by D_Dale

And yet no broken nose, jaw or cheekbone. Apparently no concussion. A full-on elbow into the face is likely to produce some serious damage.

The video isn't clear enough to judge how hard Clarke was hit (and no nearby fans seem to have come forward as witnesses). I'm not condoning what Andrew did - on the contrary - but some of the reactions to his assault strike me as over the top.

I lean towards the same opinion - if he'd caught Clarke with an elbow full to the head his face would have been a right mess and the damage obvious for all to see.

This doesnt make what he did any less awful, but it doesnt all smell quite right to me.

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Quandary on 14:33 - Nov 5 with 4946 viewsTVOS1907

Quandary on 13:26 - Nov 5 by D_Dale

The fact there are no broken bones, etc, is irrelevant.

Quandary on 14:37 - Nov 5 with 4927 viewsdingdangblue

Clarke starts today. I was worried Calvin's hefty ban may have been down to possible damage done to Clarke but it seems not. Certainly a good thing that he's ok.

Quandary on 10:23 - Nov 7 with 4610 viewsaleanddale

Agreed.

I am glad Clarke is ok and I wish him well.

Despite him being a pain the arse opponent.
Quandary on 11:02 - Nov 7 with 4538 viewsDaleiLama

Quandary on 10:23 - Nov 7 by aleanddale

Agreed.

I am glad Clarke is ok and I wish him well.

Despite him being a pain the arse opponent.

Regardless of what may have taken place prior to the elbow, we can't turn the clock back and he has since manned up and supported Calvin, so fair play to him in my eyes. I mentioned a shred of decency in a post on Saturday - seems he has more than a shred.

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Quandary on 11:10 - Nov 7 with 4519 viewsD_Alien

Quandary on 11:02 - Nov 7 by DaleiLama

Regardless of what may have taken place prior to the elbow, we can't turn the clock back and he has since manned up and supported Calvin, so fair play to him in my eyes. I mentioned a shred of decency in a post on Saturday - seems he has more than a shred.

Well said, and it would've made a huge difference that Calvin went out of his way to apologise to him at the end of the game, right in front of the Oldham fans. I thought it unusual at the time, but that was an act full of remorse

Not sure it was accepted at the time (heat of battle, etc) but fair play to Clarke now

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Quandary on 15:46 - Nov 7 with 4332 viewsHK_Dale

Quandary on 14:33 - Nov 5 by TVOS1907

The fact there are no broken bones, etc, is irrelevant.

Disagree - in the same way intent to commit murder is punished with less jail time than actually murdering someone, you can't completely separate the ends from the intent.
Proportionality is key.
Quandary on 15:51 - Nov 7 with 4315 viewsTVOS1907

Quandary on 15:46 - Nov 7 by HK_Dale

Disagree - in the same way intent to commit murder is punished with less jail time than actually murdering someone, you can't completely separate the ends from the intent.
Proportionality is key.

My point was that whatever Clarke's injuries, Calvin still did what he did.

Quandary on 11:28 - Nov 8 with 3981 viewsBarryStrange

Quandary on 15:51 - Nov 7 by TVOS1907

My point was that whatever Clarke's injuries, Calvin still did what he did.

You're bang on. He did it, doesn't seem to be arguing with that, and there is no reason he shouldn't continue in his Dale career once the ban is served.

I have to say Dale as a club look to be handling this in the right way - tight ship, no leaks, try and get the punishment reduced. Internal investigation will determine any further sanction - his stupidity, whatever the provocation, has left Hill without him for the rest of 2016 pretty much - and a fine may well be appropriate.
Quandary on 13:54 - Nov 8 with 3907 viewsaleanddale

Quandary on 11:28 - Nov 8 by BarryStrange

You're bang on. He did it, doesn't seem to be arguing with that, and there is no reason he shouldn't continue in his Dale career once the ban is served.

I have to say Dale as a club look to be handling this in the right way - tight ship, no leaks, try and get the punishment reduced. Internal investigation will determine any further sanction - his stupidity, whatever the provocation, has left Hill without him for the rest of 2016 pretty much - and a fine may well be appropriate.

A huge miss for our starting X1 Barry.

Just like pope for the gigglers we will miss Calvin as much.

Similar Role - hold up - bring the runners into play, score now and again - big strong lads..

Similar in size and stature just big Calvin is better and on a fifth of popes wage!
Quandary on 17:05 - Nov 8 with 3817 viewsBarryStrange

Quandary on 13:54 - Nov 8 by aleanddale

A huge miss for our starting X1 Barry.

Just like pope for the gigglers we will miss Calvin as much.

Similar Role - hold up - bring the runners into play, score now and again - big strong lads..

Similar in size and stature just big Calvin is better and on a fifth of popes wage!

And TP can control him temper :)
Quandary on 19:21 - Nov 8 with 3722 viewslabourer

Aye

http://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/brawling-striker-caught-camera/story-12477141-det
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024