Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The top 6 10:35 - Apr 16 with 637 viewsLeslie_Hughes

They’ll be the same top 6 for the next 5-10 years. There won’t be another Leicester season ever again. How dull is ‘the best league in the world’?

I’d say the same thing even if we were mid table.

Poll: Who is number one ITK?

The top 6 on 11:11 - Apr 16 with 607 viewsDockersRottingCorpse

👉 And laughing

Poll: What does Arthur use to Floss?

The top 6 on 12:14 - Apr 16 with 582 viewsdirk_doone

The top 6 is different nearly every year and in recent seasons has included Southampton, Leicester, Everton, Newcastle and Spurs. And, as Burnley look likely to be in it this year, it will be probably be different again next year.

4 different teams have won the league in the last 5 years and there have also been 4 different runners-up. I can remember it wasn't that long ago that fans on here were saying that Spurs would have no chance of breaking into a Champions League spot. The top flight of English football has rarely been more competitive than it is nowadays. It used to be dominated for long spells by just one team: Liverpool then Man United.

To give up and say we can't hope to compete is just defeatist talk. A team the size of Southampton or Leicester always has a chance of breaking into the top 6 and Europe. It would be no major surprise to see Wolves there in the next few years.

Poll: Would you like a home 'kop' at St. Mary's directly behind one of the goals?

The top 6 on 13:13 - Apr 16 with 555 viewsLeslie_Hughes

The top 6 on 12:14 - Apr 16 by dirk_doone

The top 6 is different nearly every year and in recent seasons has included Southampton, Leicester, Everton, Newcastle and Spurs. And, as Burnley look likely to be in it this year, it will be probably be different again next year.

4 different teams have won the league in the last 5 years and there have also been 4 different runners-up. I can remember it wasn't that long ago that fans on here were saying that Spurs would have no chance of breaking into a Champions League spot. The top flight of English football has rarely been more competitive than it is nowadays. It used to be dominated for long spells by just one team: Liverpool then Man United.

To give up and say we can't hope to compete is just defeatist talk. A team the size of Southampton or Leicester always has a chance of breaking into the top 6 and Europe. It would be no major surprise to see Wolves there in the next few years.

I’m sorry I don’t agree. It’s a predictable bore with cheating refs that favour the top 6. The other 14 are making the numbers up

The top 6 on 13:16 - Apr 16 with 551 viewsdirk_doone

The top 6 on 13:13 - Apr 16 by Leslie_Hughes

I’m sorry I don’t agree. It’s a predictable bore with cheating refs that favour the top 6. The other 14 are making the numbers up

Well, if at the beginning of this season, you could have predicted that Burnley would be in with a good chance of finishing in the top six, you're a hell of a lot better at preditcions than I am, although admittedly I'm not very good at them.

Poll: Would you like a home 'kop' at St. Mary's directly behind one of the goals?

The top 6 on 13:23 - Apr 16 with 544 viewsLeslie_Hughes

The top 6 on 13:16 - Apr 16 by dirk_doone

Well, if at the beginning of this season, you could have predicted that Burnley would be in with a good chance of finishing in the top six, you're a hell of a lot better at preditcions than I am, although admittedly I'm not very good at them.

They’ll get picked off for players. I predict Leicester to lose Mahrez and they’ll drop down. I hope Burnley enjoy their 7th place bus parade.

The top 6 on 13:24 - Apr 16 with 542 viewsdirk_doone

The top 6 on 13:23 - Apr 16 by Leslie_Hughes

They’ll get picked off for players. I predict Leicester to lose Mahrez and they’ll drop down. I hope Burnley enjoy their 7th place bus parade.

I hope Burnley enjoy Europe. I'm sure their fans will love it.

The top 6 on 13:29 - Apr 16 with 532 viewsLeslie_Hughes

The top 6 on 13:24 - Apr 16 by dirk_doone

7th isn’t Europe is it? Top 6 for Europe

The top 6 on 13:33 - Apr 16 with 530 viewsthis_charming_man

And there is the problem in a nutshell

The best most clubs can hope for is 7th and if one of the big
Clubs underachieves then 6th. Then they get all their best players picked off by the bigger clubs.

It might be wonderful for the armchair fan who gets fed the greatest league in the role bullsh*t but for clubs if anyone outside of it then it really isn’t all that much fun.

Look at this season, with 5 games to go the league is already won, the top 4 places and relegation places are as good as decided so all that’s left is riveting fight for 6th. Forgive me for not thinking it’s amazing

Official club mongboard liaison officer
Poll: So whose fault is it?

Login to get fewer ads

The top 6 on 13:50 - Apr 16 with 520 viewspete_boggs

Here we go "the Prem's rubbish" "it's just the same old top 6 year after year"
"it's dull in the Prem".

Don't try and kid yourselves please. The Premiership has the best players and the most entertaining attacking football, albeit not enough of it I would agree. Most of the Championship stuff is backwards sideways hoofball, bar perhaps the newly to be promoted sides.

The problem we've got is that Shorty is going to insist on selling ANY players that bids come in for. Reed, Targett and Gallacher will be recalled and, in Targett's case, forced against his will to stay.

Gabbiadini, Lemina, Bertrand, Tadic, Soares, McCarthy, Pied, Redmond and Boufal will be sold to pay off Shorty's overdraft. Prowsey will stay cos no one will want him even though Reed will climb over hot coals to try and get him a lucrative transfer before Reed kicks the women and children out of the lifeboat.

If you've got any pride left STAY AWAY FROM MATCHES. At least show the world that everyone in Southampton isn't a rollover.

Poll: What's the most important thing that could happen to Saints?

The top 6 on 14:01 - Apr 16 with 505 viewsLeslie_Hughes

The top 6 on 13:50 - Apr 16 by pete_boggs

Here we go "the Prem's rubbish" "it's just the same old top 6 year after year"
"it's dull in the Prem".

Don't try and kid yourselves please. The Premiership has the best players and the most entertaining attacking football, albeit not enough of it I would agree. Most of the Championship stuff is backwards sideways hoofball, bar perhaps the newly to be promoted sides.

The problem we've got is that Shorty is going to insist on selling ANY players that bids come in for. Reed, Targett and Gallacher will be recalled and, in Targett's case, forced against his will to stay.

Gabbiadini, Lemina, Bertrand, Tadic, Soares, McCarthy, Pied, Redmond and Boufal will be sold to pay off Shorty's overdraft. Prowsey will stay cos no one will want him even though Reed will climb over hot coals to try and get him a lucrative transfer before Reed kicks the women and children out of the lifeboat.

If you've got any pride left STAY AWAY FROM MATCHES. At least show the world that everyone in Southampton isn't a rollover.

Bore off you inbred troll

The top 6 on 14:03 - Apr 16 with 502 viewspete_boggs

The top 6 on 14:01 - Apr 16 by Leslie_Hughes

Bore off you inbred troll

Help the crim into the lifeboat Des you flaccid cretin.

The top 6 on 14:14 - Apr 16 with 485 viewsbigrob68

The top 6 on 12:14 - Apr 16 by dirk_doone

You may be right about Wolves coming close to the top 6 as they have wealthy owners, but a league where you have to buy your way to the top is predictable and boring.

Poll: would Slaven Bilic be welcome at Saints

The top 6 on 14:18 - Apr 16 with 481 viewsbigrob68

Really, did you enjoy our short embarrassing run in another pointless league.

Poll: would Slaven Bilic be welcome at Saints

The top 6 on 14:19 - Apr 16 with 476 viewspete_boggs

The top 6 on 14:14 - Apr 16 by bigrob68

You may be right about Wolves coming close to the top 6 as they have wealthy owners, but a league where you have to buy your way to the top is predictable and boring.

How come we don't win every time on the odds on bets? If it was that predictable I'd have £100 on every match featuring a top 6 side.

I don't remember these complaints about the Prem when we were overachieving in 8th position.

The top 6 on 14:58 - Apr 16 with 446 viewsBuggalugs

The top 6 on 14:19 - Apr 16 by pete_boggs

How come we don't win every time on the odds on bets? If it was that predictable I'd have £100 on every match featuring a top 6 side.

I don't remember these complaints about the Prem when we were overachieving in 8th position.

I agree with you here Boggsy....no-one was complaining about the boring crapness of the Premier League when we finished 6th. Also agree with Dirk saying the league is actually quite open, as I was brought up on Liverpool winning it every season in the 80's and United doing much the same in the 90's. No-one can deny it's harder to predict these days, so the competitiveness must be there.

The problem is, you need serious investment to consistently finish in a position bordering on 6th place and unless you're prepared to chuck ridiculous amounts of money at your mercenary players, the very best ones will always end up getting picked off or engineering their moves to one of the "elite" clubs.

Even Leicester, who have a very rich and generous owner, lost Kante weeks after winning the league and had to give Vardy a blockbuster contract to fend off interest from Arsenal. Now you've got Mahrez, who is probably already on £150K pw, being tapped up by Man City, so it's only a matter of time before he's off too.

That is what makes the Premier League shit. The players call all the shots and always get their way, so all the also-ran clubs outside the top 6 just can't establish themselves and even if they do, finishing 7th every season with the chance of winning diddly squat would soon get tediously boring.

Poll: Who is the most in-the-know on SFC’s transfer activity?

The top 6 on 15:14 - Apr 16 with 432 viewspete_boggs

The top 6 on 14:58 - Apr 16 by Buggalugs

I agree with you here Boggsy....no-one was complaining about the boring crapness of the Premier League when we finished 6th. Also agree with Dirk saying the league is actually quite open, as I was brought up on Liverpool winning it every season in the 80's and United doing much the same in the 90's. No-one can deny it's harder to predict these days, so the competitiveness must be there.

The problem is, you need serious investment to consistently finish in a position bordering on 6th place and unless you're prepared to chuck ridiculous amounts of money at your mercenary players, the very best ones will always end up getting picked off or engineering their moves to one of the "elite" clubs.

Even Leicester, who have a very rich and generous owner, lost Kante weeks after winning the league and had to give Vardy a blockbuster contract to fend off interest from Arsenal. Now you've got Mahrez, who is probably already on £150K pw, being tapped up by Man City, so it's only a matter of time before he's off too.

That is what makes the Premier League shit. The players call all the shots and always get their way, so all the also-ran clubs outside the top 6 just can't establish themselves and even if they do, finishing 7th every season with the chance of winning diddly squat would soon get tediously boring.

Agreed, to finish top 6 serious money is required. I, and I think many others, would have been quite happy with mid table mediocrity for years if we hadn't mismanaged the assets so spectacularly. If SFC was a public company the fraud squad would have been brought in. As it happens it's the fans and Shorty that have been had.
Kat Kruger and Reed have conspired in a £210m sting.

I think the Prem will eventually implode but I think I would have rather been it it and gone down with it than sink into L1 playing Pompey.

Just my opinion and that's why I'm angry.

The top 6 on 15:56 - Apr 16 with 411 viewsstraight_pass

The top 6 on 15:14 - Apr 16 by pete_boggs

Agreed, to finish top 6 serious money is required. I, and I think many others, would have been quite happy with mid table mediocrity for years if we hadn't mismanaged the assets so spectacularly. If SFC was a public company the fraud squad would have been brought in. As it happens it's the fans and Shorty that have been had.
Kat Kruger and Reed have conspired in a £210m sting.

I think the Prem will eventually implode but I think I would have rather been it it and gone down with it than sink into L1 playing Pompey.

Just my opinion and that's why I'm angry.

As a Saints fans we have long accepted we are not a big club, so we compete against the odds and almost revel in being the underdog!
It’s quite clear that the big 6 clubs are investing heavily to dominate the competition, but I can’t believe some of our fans honestly want to run away instead of stand and fight!
We have missed chances to continue strengthening our club and shortage of money may not be the only problem. Sometimes you need to ask or insist that funds are released to build a future, there are strong indications of complacency and a tendency to take money from the club.
If you don’t have so much money, spend what you have really well. To be smart we must identify who will fit into our squad, this is the so called statistical and performance analysis function within football development. I stand with Boggsie in wanting to be defiant and stay in the PL against the odds!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2018