Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Punished for our own success? 12:06 - Apr 16 with 765 viewsBaselSaint

''Southampton, in a sense, have been punished for their own successes, cannibalised by better-resourced, less efficient clubs, condemned to a fate of permanent renovation''

Quite a telling article in the Independent by Jonathan Liew;

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/southampton-relegati

Poll: Saint`s current predicament

Punished for our own success? on 12:19 - Apr 16 with 748 viewsbigrob68

I agree, the premier league is fast becoming a waste of time for fans of clubs outside the top 6, our clubs will always be stripped of talent, we will only be seen as a stepping stone by greedy agents and players, the competition is now only for survival so the owners can collect the TV money, the whole thing is a con, next season I will only renew my season ticket if we go down and change those in charge, the premier league is total BS.

Poll: Do you still have faith in Les and Ralph

Punished for our own success? on 12:25 - Apr 16 with 743 viewsdirk_doone

Leicester have been more successful than us and I haven't noticed them being punished for it. Our 'punishment' has been largely self-inflicted by the board and owners.

Poll: Would you like a home 'kop' at St. Mary's directly behind one of the goals?

Punished for our own success? on 12:27 - Apr 16 with 733 viewsBaselSaint

Punished for our own success? on 12:25 - Apr 16 by dirk_doone

Leicester have been more successful than us and I haven't noticed them being punished for it. Our 'punishment' has been largely self-inflicted by the board and owners.

Fair point Dirk

Poll: Saint`s current predicament

Punished for our own success? on 12:35 - Apr 16 with 723 viewsdirk_doone

Punished for our own success? on 12:27 - Apr 16 by BaselSaint

Fair point Dirk

Like us, West Brom are where they are now because of poor decisions by their board and owners, particularly their choice of managers. The appointment of Pardew was the final nail in their coffin. Nobody forced them to pick him.

Poll: Would you like a home 'kop' at St. Mary's directly behind one of the goals?

Punished for our own success? on 12:52 - Apr 16 with 694 viewsbigrob68

It is true they have done ok, but what have they actually achieved, they won the league then lost Drinkwater, had Mahrez un-settled by City are now 10th which sounds ok if you don't factor in they are 25 points shy of 4th place, they will never be allowed to reach the top 4 again. a pointless league which I for one am glad to see the back of.

Punished for our own success? on 12:56 - Apr 16 with 686 viewsdirk_doone

Punished for our own success? on 12:52 - Apr 16 by bigrob68

It is true they have done ok, but what have they actually achieved, they won the league then lost Drinkwater, had Mahrez un-settled by City are now 10th which sounds ok if you don't factor in they are 25 points shy of 4th place, they will never be allowed to reach the top 4 again. a pointless league which I for one am glad to see the back of.

Leicester are 8th because their owner chose not to sell Mahrez, Vardy and Schmeichel. If they had been Saints players, they'd have all been sold by now. They'd probably be even higher up the table if they had a better manager than Puel in charge.

Mahrez has 11 goals and 11 assists so far this season, which doesn't bear out the narrative that he has been unsettled very much.

Although as with all players Saints choose to sell nowadays, there is a hate campaign directed against them, even before they leave, van Dijk made a valuable contribution when he came back from injury and if we had kept him until the end of this season, we'd probably be safe now.

Whilst I agree that the best players will eventually want to play for the best clubs, I think that generally our club has cashed in on them at the earliest available opportunity and could have kept most of them for a bit longer and, as Mahrez has done for Leicester this season, they'd have made a valuable contribution and we wouldn't be in the trouble we're in now.
[Post edited 16 Apr 13:08]

Punished for our own success? on 13:27 - Apr 16 with 630 viewsLeslie_Hughes

Punished for our own success? on 12:56 - Apr 16 by dirk_doone

Leicester are 8th because their owner chose not to sell Mahrez, Vardy and Schmeichel. If they had been Saints players, they'd have all been sold by now. They'd probably be even higher up the table if they had a better manager than Puel in charge.

Mahrez has 11 goals and 11 assists so far this season, which doesn't bear out the narrative that he has been unsettled very much.

Although as with all players Saints choose to sell nowadays, there is a hate campaign directed against them, even before they leave, van Dijk made a valuable contribution when he came back from injury and if we had kept him until the end of this season, we'd probably be safe now.

Whilst I agree that the best players will eventually want to play for the best clubs, I think that generally our club has cashed in on them at the earliest available opportunity and could have kept most of them for a bit longer and, as Mahrez has done for Leicester this season, they'd have made a valuable contribution and we wouldn't be in the trouble we're in now.

Van Dijk was an absolute joke after his injury. You’re having laugh. Were you at the 1-4 Leicester game? Disgusting vile greedy creature that epitomises the premier league.

Poll: United Kingdom Ugly Inside European Union membership referendum, 2018

Punished for our own success? on 13:37 - Apr 16 with 617 viewsthis_charming_man

Selling our best players isn’t the problem it’s the fact that by and large all the replacements have been crap.

As already pointed out Van Dijk was shameful in his behaviour and performances, as was Fonte. See also lovren and lallana. Although you don’t like to hear it that’s the way it is.

Official club mongboard liaison officer
Poll: Should Hughes be sacked?

Login to get fewer ads

Punished for our own success? on 13:39 - Apr 16 with 611 viewsUlsterBaz

^ This.

Punished for our own success? on 14:03 - Apr 16 with 586 viewsSonicBoom

To be fair Leicester are an example that people quote for lots of things but considering they are viewed as a once in a lifetime story it's not really a good example. In fact they were 14th, then they won the league, then they were 12th.
This season they are in the "best of the rest" category.

I'd imagine that one of the main reasons the players didn't all immediately jump ship was the fact that in the following season they had champions league football. As we know that is (apparently) the be all and end all for the professional footballer.).
Well that and they all got a huge payrise.
Punished for our own success? on 14:08 - Apr 16 with 579 viewsbigrob68

after winning the league Mahrez was unsettled by City, Saints finished above Leicester, now some might say Mahrez is back in the shop window. As I said they will never be in the top 4 again, pointless league for fans

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2018