Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Tim Saint for Staplewood 12:56 - Apr 16 with 311 viewsstraight_pass

Hi Tim, I see you are online ATM; just wondered if you could join SFC's coaching staff.
You certainly appear to be someone who has proper football experience and passion, so a motivational coach, or even a striker coach could fit.
Would be good to get someone inside who could report back what is going on inside our football development team.
I have enjoyed your common sense, experience-based commetary on this board, we march on!

Tim Saint for Staplewood on 16:17 - Apr 16 with 244 viewsTimSaint

Very flattering of you, Straight Pass

Despite my years, I still play veterans football and to be honest, there is more passion and motivation on show on our pitch than there is with Saints.

Over the last couple of years, it seems to have been drummed into the players that the primary objective is to not lose, then if we win it is a huge bonus. It also seems a lot more acceptable to lose games - and boy have we seen enough defeats this season !!

This is obviously down to the management styles of CP and MP and to be fair, we did OK under CP with this - reaching the final and somehow limping to 8th. It wasn't very entertaining though and we all thought MP would improve things in terms of entertainment and tactics, but we could all see how out of his depth he was and should have gone after the Boxing Day defeat at Wembley.

We seemed to have at least improved a little under Hughes, with more passion and fight. We've even scored a few goals, but equally we have had a couple of shockers !!

I believe we have 2 main issues

Concentration - all to many times we switch off or don't focus - resulting in silly mistakes and unforced errors.

Ability - Some players just are not good enough for this level of football. We cannot afford to blood many of them in and give them the experience they need, because we need the results right away. Others have past their sell by dates and are deep in their comfort zones and others have been given plenty of chances, but are just not up to it !!

We need a good clear out from the top !!

BTW - unfortunately I play either Left Back or Centre Back and have only 2 goals this season, so wouldn't make a good Striker Coach !! :-)

TimSaint

Tim Saint for Staplewood on 17:06 - Apr 16 with 218 viewsWhiteknight

Tim Saint for Staplewood on 16:17 - Apr 16 by TimSaint

Despite my years, I still play veterans football and to be honest, there is more passion and motivation on show on our pitch than there is with Saints.

Over the last couple of years, it seems to have been drummed into the players that the primary objective is to not lose, then if we win it is a huge bonus. It also seems a lot more acceptable to lose games - and boy have we seen enough defeats this season !!

This is obviously down to the management styles of CP and MP and to be fair, we did OK under CP with this - reaching the final and somehow limping to 8th. It wasn't very entertaining though and we all thought MP would improve things in terms of entertainment and tactics, but we could all see how out of his depth he was and should have gone after the Boxing Day defeat at Wembley.

We seemed to have at least improved a little under Hughes, with more passion and fight. We've even scored a few goals, but equally we have had a couple of shockers !!

Concentration - all to many times we switch off or don't focus - resulting in silly mistakes and unforced errors.

Ability - Some players just are not good enough for this level of football. We cannot afford to blood many of them in and give them the experience they need, because we need the results right away. Others have past their sell by dates and are deep in their comfort zones and others have been given plenty of chances, but are just not up to it !!

BTW - unfortunately I play either Left Back or Centre Back and have only 2 goals this season, so wouldn't make a good Striker Coach !! :-)

The fact that Saints switch off near the end of games suggests a lack of fitness, which has been an issue all season - Simples

Poll: Dover shambles - what's to blame?

Tim Saint for Staplewood on 17:06 - Apr 16 with 217 viewsstraight_pass

Tim Saint for Staplewood on 16:17 - Apr 16 by TimSaint

Good response Tim,
Starting with your last point, if with look at striker coaching in the perverse, you may be ideal. If you have always played in defence, you will be very sure what you really hate and what causes mistakes when strikers approach!
It was slightly difficult to make a serious point without sounding flattering, but I can see real experience in your comments. To be objective and sort out the real problems we must go back to basics, after all it’s a simple game often made difficult by strategy.

For us the problem is getting rid of the dead wood and those not performing within the management and development roles. As long-standing fans, we all want to see fight, tenacity, determination, you know the qualities that show it matters!
We must get back to presenting a real threat going forward, no team has been scarred to attack us this season, we had no serious counter, no consequence!

Back to the future, it would be nice to get a couple of fan representatives within the development/performance program. It might keep thing honest.

Good luck with hanging onto playing the greatest game in the world.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2018