Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
non foitball thread re rochdale 05:17 - May 20 with 16374 viewsseasidedale

Being an exile and of a certain age, I tend to reminisce about my life i Rochdale. I used to go to a hairdresser on Spotland Road call The Kut hut, he was a Man City nut, I was wondering whatever happened to him and his shop, I take it its not still there.
non foitball thread re rochdale on 08:03 - May 20 with 6876 viewsSuddenLad

Steve he was called. Lived on Elmsfield Avenue, up behind the Blue Ball at Norden. I don't think the shop is there now (as a hairdressers) but I saw him fairly recently. It was a hairdressers many years before, owned by a chap called Bill Nelson. That was the 1960's.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

non foitball thread re rochdale on 08:42 - May 20 with 6815 viewsDaley_Lama

The shop is a car spare parts shop now i think.

Poll: DF in or out

non foitball thread re rochdale on 08:43 - May 20 with 6815 viewsseasidedale

Thanks, I had many good chats bout footie with him
non foitball thread re rochdale on 08:51 - May 20 with 6798 viewsNigeriamark

non foitball thread re rochdale on 08:03 - May 20 by SuddenLad

Steve he was called. Lived on Elmsfield Avenue, up behind the Blue Ball at Norden. I don't think the shop is there now (as a hairdressers) but I saw him fairly recently. It was a hairdressers many years before, owned by a chap called Bill Nelson. That was the 1960's.

He will remember my mother. She was involved in a car accident and drove her car into the front of his shop
non foitball thread re rochdale on 09:34 - May 20 with 6743 viewsmingthemerciless

I remember going in there in the 1960's before it became the " Kut Hut ". There was another barbers nearer to Spotland Bridge on the same side as " The Carters Rest ".
non foitball thread re rochdale on 09:37 - May 20 with 6739 viewsBass1

Steve currently has his hairdressing shop on Halifax Road, just before you get into Littleborough centre.
[Post edited 20 May 2018 9:37]

non football thread re rochdale on 09:47 - May 20 with 6711 viewswroughtironron

I got my first electric guitar (a Hofner Galaxy repainted in orange) from Alexanders second hand shop just up Whitworth Road around 1970.

It cost £13 and had a tremolo arm. As I didn't have an amp, I sold it a couple of years later for £9 - not a good decision
non football thread re rochdale on 18:58 - May 20 with 6518 viewsfinberty

non football thread re rochdale on 09:47 - May 20 by wroughtironron

I got my first electric guitar (a Hofner Galaxy repainted in orange) from Alexanders second hand shop just up Whitworth Road around 1970.

It cost £13 and had a tremolo arm. As I didn't have an amp, I sold it a couple of years later for £9 - not a good decision

Clippers the Barbers on Drake Street early 1980s. Before that, an obscure first floor barber also on Drake Street, where you had to go in through a dress shop and up some long stairs to get to the place. Can't remember who ran it.

Anyone remember Norvic shoe shop in the same street, where they had a machine you could x-ray your own feet with? Must have been lethal & probably illegal nowadays.

The Pioneers in Lord Street with a coin-operated motorbike in the entrance, surrounded by headless mannequins in the latest 60s fashions.

Morris's hardware shop on Toad Lane.
[Post edited 20 May 2018 19:00]
Login to get fewer ads

non football thread re rochdale on 19:26 - May 20 with 6465 viewsD_Alien

non football thread re rochdale on 18:58 - May 20 by finberty

Clippers the Barbers on Drake Street early 1980s. Before that, an obscure first floor barber also on Drake Street, where you had to go in through a dress shop and up some long stairs to get to the place. Can't remember who ran it.

Anyone remember Norvic shoe shop in the same street, where they had a machine you could x-ray your own feet with? Must have been lethal & probably illegal nowadays.

The Pioneers in Lord Street with a coin-operated motorbike in the entrance, surrounded by headless mannequins in the latest 60s fashions.

Morris's hardware shop on Toad Lane.
[Post edited 20 May 2018 19:00]

Dunno who ran it, but the woman who did the haircuts in that upstairs place was as fit as hell. I was about 15/16 and she was probably only early 20s but was just about the most exotic thing in Rochdale at the time!

Trying to remember the name of the clothes shop downstairs, it was both women's and men's

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

non football thread re rochdale on 19:32 - May 20 with 6455 viewsSuddenLad

non football thread re rochdale on 19:26 - May 20 by D_Alien

Dunno who ran it, but the woman who did the haircuts in that upstairs place was as fit as hell. I was about 15/16 and she was probably only early 20s but was just about the most exotic thing in Rochdale at the time!

Trying to remember the name of the clothes shop downstairs, it was both women's and men's

Was it Stewards ?

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

non football thread re rochdale on 19:35 - May 20 with 6441 viewsD_Alien

non football thread re rochdale on 19:32 - May 20 by SuddenLad

Was it Stewards ?

That rings a bell, and thinking about it, it might just have been a men's shop although finberty describes it as a dress shop so could be wrong. I don't think they had anything as exotic as a men's dress shop in Rochdale back then...

non football thread re rochdale on 20:03 - May 20 with 6387 viewssoulboy

non football thread re rochdale on 19:35 - May 20 by D_Alien

That rings a bell, and thinking about it, it might just have been a men's shop although finberty describes it as a dress shop so could be wrong. I don't think they had anything as exotic as a men's dress shop in Rochdale back then...

There was a clothes shop ( may have been men and womens clothes) at the end of George Street called Jonathan, i think there was a barbers shop upstairs. Stewarts was further down on the opposite side of Drake Street, they always had loads of Wrangler jeans and Brutus shirts in stock, if you were a "smoothie" in 1970 you got your crombie from there, £10. Great days.
non football thread re rochdale on 20:32 - May 20 with 6321 viewsmingthemerciless

You should have held on to the " Hofner " , very collectable now.
non football thread re rochdale on 21:08 - May 20 with 6269 viewsfinberty

non football thread re rochdale on 20:03 - May 20 by soulboy

There was a clothes shop ( may have been men and womens clothes) at the end of George Street called Jonathan, i think there was a barbers shop upstairs. Stewarts was further down on the opposite side of Drake Street, they always had loads of Wrangler jeans and Brutus shirts in stock, if you were a "smoothie" in 1970 you got your crombie from there, £10. Great days.

Jonathan's ringing a bell - that was it. Might only have remembered the dress part with the obvious 11 year old's fear of being seen going in or out. Those things mattered at that age.
non foitball thread re rochdale on 21:09 - May 20 with 6269 viewsJames1980

What was The Navigation Inn like I walk pass it on my way from/to the station when I come for matches

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

non football thread re rochdale on 21:26 - May 20 with 6236 viewsD_Alien

non football thread re rochdale on 21:08 - May 20 by finberty

Jonathan's ringing a bell - that was it. Might only have remembered the dress part with the obvious 11 year old's fear of being seen going in or out. Those things mattered at that age.

Yes, that's it, Jonathans. I bought a pair of purple bell-bottoms from there but then only wore them once (a huge financial error in those days) when parallels came in

non football thread re rochdale on 22:33 - May 20 with 6154 viewskiwidale

non football thread re rochdale on 21:26 - May 20 by D_Alien

Yes, that's it, Jonathans. I bought a pair of purple bell-bottoms from there but then only wore them once (a huge financial error in those days) when parallels came in

WHAT! flares are out?... have you still got em? how much do you want?
[Post edited 20 May 2018 22:34]

This is not the time for bickering.

non football thread re rochdale on 22:44 - May 20 with 6133 viewsdownunder

Bill Nelson was mentioned earlier. Did the guitar have a sunburst finish ?
[Post edited 21 May 2018 2:29]
non football thread re rochdale on 22:45 - May 20 with 6128 viewsD_Alien

non football thread re rochdale on 22:33 - May 20 by kiwidale

WHAT! flares are out?... have you still got em? how much do you want?
[Post edited 20 May 2018 22:34]

Now you mention it, I don't recall ever throwing clothes away in those days, but they still disappeared, of their own accord

Weird, or what?

non football thread re rochdale on 00:29 - May 21 with 6074 viewskiwidale

non football thread re rochdale on 22:45 - May 20 by D_Alien

Now you mention it, I don't recall ever throwing clothes away in those days, but they still disappeared, of their own accord

Weird, or what?

Looking back the whole fashion scene was weird what made us think tank tops were cool or kipper ties, no wonder the old guys laughed at us... is my mullet still acceptable? I can still tie it in a pony tale?

This is not the time for bickering.

non foitball thread re rochdale on 02:04 - May 21 with 6044 viewsRooleyMoorBlue

non foitball thread re rochdale on 09:34 - May 20 by mingthemerciless

I remember going in there in the 1960's before it became the " Kut Hut ". There was another barbers nearer to Spotland Bridge on the same side as " The Carters Rest ".

Yes, I used to go there. The owner was Bill Ashworth, a tall thin gaunt looking fella with grey slicked back hair. He was a lovely chap, but I used to have nightmares about having to go to him. Don`t know why but I had a phobia of the hairdressers as a child.
non football thread re rochdale on 06:30 - May 21 with 5987 viewsAlexF

I bought quite a bit of guitar gear from Alexanders back then, a great old junk shop the likes of which you dont see anymore. My dad used to take me for a short back and sides as a kid to Bill Ashworth’s shop. Brylcream as a finisher lol.
non football thread re rochdale on 07:48 - May 21 with 5899 viewsDaleiLama

non football thread re rochdale on 22:45 - May 20 by D_Alien

Weird, or what?

Did you have an Arnold Layne in your area?

I remember pestering mum for months to get me some electric blue parallels with side pockets. I can't remember if I wore them with the three coloured platforms or not now.

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

non foitball thread re rochdale on 07:48 - May 21 with 5895 viewsseasidedale

what was the name of the book shop on Drake street, that barbers i remember well, i got my first pet dog from there, it was one of a number of pups running around and my mum got me one, a labrador alsation mix
non foitball thread re rochdale on 07:55 - May 21 with 5870 viewsEllDale

That bookshop was called Cleggs.
I used to get my hair cut for a while at a place on Yorkshire Street called the "The Razors Edge". It was certainly there in 1970 because I remember sitting in the chair one Saturday and hearing Mungo Jerry's "In the Summertime" for the first time.
That was THE hit of that summer.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024