Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Robin Smith 07:21 - Jun 12 with 1653 viewsPatfromPoole

Sad stuff.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/cricket/article-7130031/It-wasnt-going-kill-Ro

Robin Smith on 08:24 - Jun 12 with 1582 viewsBicester_North

I think I remember him getting his jaw broken by a West Indian bowler (Bishop)? and still carried on batting with no helmet? Great player to watch.

Poll: How proud are you to see our ex players at Liverpool?

Robin Smith on 14:14 - Jun 12 with 1414 viewscocklebreath

Great batsman, proper hairy chest real man.

Poll: Who is the biggest c*nt?

Robin Smith on 16:38 - Jun 12 with 1327 viewsGasGiant

Agree Pat. A talented and tough guy but also very modest and with humility as all the best cricketers are. He would never have to buy a drink in any pub where any cricket fans from any county recognised him and perhaps that was part of the problem. He'll always be welcome at the Rose Bowl.

Robin Smith on 11:02 - Jun 13 with 1076 views1teeminants

Very sad.I used to love watching Robin Smith bat for Hampshire at Northlands Road. He was one of the hardest hitters of the ball you’ll ever see and Barry Richards (who he stayed with) was the best batsman I’ve ever seen. Pure class was Richards ,brilliant timing of the ball and they both played for Hants . Greenidge and Richards opening the batting. Brilliant memories.

Poll: Would you take an Fa Cup win if it meant relegation to the championship ?

Robin Smith on 11:25 - Jun 13 with 1060 viewsericofarabia

Absolute beast of a batsman at a time when the West Indies bowling was truly fearsome. He'd just deal with whatever yjey dealt him and then stare back as if to say is that the best you've got!! As said by others probably the harders hitters of a cricket ball ever. Glad he is back in a happier place.

Robin Smith on 23:15 - Jun 13 with 977 viewsBlue

One of my favourite cricketers of all time, sublime at the crease.

Didn't he have a brother played for Hampshire too?

Still stood in the Kippax

Robin Smith on 01:21 - Jun 14 with 947 viewswashington_saint

Robin Smith on 23:15 - Jun 13 by Blue

Yep, Chris 'Kippy" Smith. Excellent batsman in his own right but more Tavare than Robin. Loved watching Hampshire at that time. Chris Smith and Greenidge opening the batting, Marshall steaming in, happy days.

Met Robin Smith for the first time in the members pavilion at Northlands Road and he was huge despite only being 16 or 17. First time I saw him play was against Minor COunties and he hit a 6 from a square cut that was still rising when it left the ground.

Badly treated by England - he was a complete legend.
Robin Smith on 07:30 - Jun 14 with 887 viewsHeisenberg

Robin Smith on 01:21 - Jun 14 by washington_saint

Yep, Chris 'Kippy" Smith. Excellent batsman in his own right but more Tavare than Robin. Loved watching Hampshire at that time. Chris Smith and Greenidge opening the batting, Marshall steaming in, happy days.

Met Robin Smith for the first time in the members pavilion at Northlands Road and he was huge despite only being 16 or 17. First time I saw him play was against Minor COunties and he hit a 6 from a square cut that was still rising when it left the ground.

Badly treated by England - he was a complete legend.

Barry Richards as well. What a player he was. We also had Andy Roberts. I was really enjoying the World Cup and had been to a couple of games until the English summer kicked in.

“Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously'
Poll: Who should get a statue outside the old girl ?

Login to get fewer ads

Robin Smith on 09:42 - Jun 14 with 852 views1teeminants

Robin Smith on 07:30 - Jun 14 by Heisenberg

Barry Richards as well. What a player he was. We also had Andy Roberts. I was really enjoying the World Cup and had been to a couple of games until the English summer kicked in.

I’ve Seen Hampshire in 8 finals at Lords, only lost 2 .great day out Cricket sun and beer . Fond memories of Hants winning the championship in 1973 and John player league . We are the Man City of cricket ffs. I was a member for years at Northlands road and see most 20/20 games at Hants Bowl .

Poll: Would you take an Fa Cup win if it meant relegation to the championship ?

Robin Smith on 09:48 - Jun 14 with 847 viewsHeisenberg

Robin Smith on 09:42 - Jun 14 by 1teeminants

I’ve Seen Hampshire in 8 finals at Lords, only lost 2 .great day out Cricket sun and beer . Fond memories of Hants winning the championship in 1973 and John player league . We are the Man City of cricket ffs. I was a member for years at Northlands road and see most 20/20 games at Hants Bowl .

The John Player league. Those were the days. Sunday afternoon cricket on the telly with John Arlott. Agree a day out at the cricket is a day well spent. Sun and a beer or cold cider.

“Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously'
Poll: Who should get a statue outside the old girl ?

Robin Smith on 14:05 - Jun 15 with 739 viewsGasGiant

Robin Smith on 07:30 - Jun 14 by Heisenberg

I met Andy Roberts and it was a privilege to talk to him. He is such a modest, reserved and intelligent man you wonder how he bowled with such hostility and why he's not better celebrated as a Hampshire great. When I met him two years ago he had never been to the Rose Bowl and when I asked him why he said simply "Because nobody has asked me". I loved the John Player League sundays too when I was growing up - a big sunday dinner then Jim Laker and John Arlott lulling in a lazy afternoon on the sofa.
[Post edited 15 Jun 16:55]

Robin Smith on 20:47 - Jun 15 with 632 viewsUlsterBaz

He was some batsman! Loved watching him take the fight to the Windies pacemen in particular. Glad he seems to have turned things around in recent times.

Robin Smith on 10:28 - Jun 16 with 565 viewsNumber_58

Aggers did a great interview with Robin Smith on TMS this week. Thankfully he seems to have turned his life around. The Nat West final v Surrey back in the early 90s when Smith saw off Waqar remains one of the best sporting contests I've ever seen live.
Robin Smith (n/t) on 09:37 - Jun 17 with 468 viewsDellHero

Robin Smith on 23:15 - Jun 13 by Blue

[Post edited 19 Jun 8:43]

Poll: How much will we spend (net+ve) in the summer window

Robin Smith on 16:11 - Jun 17 with 422 viewsGasGiant

Robin Smith on 20:47 - Jun 15 by UlsterBaz

He was some batsman! Loved watching him take the fight to the Windies pacemen in particular. Glad he seems to have turned things around in recent times.

Yes happy memories. I think his debut was at Lords against the Windies and he hooked his very first delivery for four or maybe six. No helmets in those days either.
Robin Smith on 23:09 - Jun 17 with 345 viewsPatfromPoole

Robin Smith on 10:28 - Jun 16 by Number_58

Aggers did a great interview with Robin Smith on TMS this week. Thankfully he seems to have turned his life around. The Nat West final v Surrey back in the early 90s when Smith saw off Waqar remains one of the best sporting contests I've ever seen live.

Greats of the game, you mention there. Robin Smith and Waqar Younis.

I strongly suspect the 90’s was a properly golden era for cricket.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2019