Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
My take on yesterday! 20:35 - Aug 18 with 1031 viewsA1079

After the game yesterday, I left feeling frustrated, disappointed and if I learnt anything, is that when a top 6 side has an off day they are still probably more likely to win even if Saints have a good day.

Last week I was somewhat dismayed by our performance. This week, I thought we would put in a shift, but I still expected us to lose and so it was. In the first half we largely did the right thing and Liverpool looked generally out of sorts. But, of course, we failed to create enough chances and when we had them, we could not take them, whereas on the stroke of half time Liverpool punished us for failing to close down with possibly only their second chance in the half.

Cometh the second half and for the most part Liverpool looked largely in control and got the second goal that seemed inevitable and at that point sealed the win. The introduction of Armstrong, Ings and Djenepo brought some life back into our team but it took an error for us to score and then with the goal gaping, we did, what we seem to do all too often, failed to convert a chance that seemed easier to score than miss.

Overall it was a good performance by us, but it meant nothing in the end and I am afraid, I am not in that plucky parade that readily say and comfort themselves that at least we can say we played well. Do you think successful teams, take comfort in playing well or worry about winning dirty?

I thought our midfield was better yesterday. Romeu for me was having an excellent game. Our defence well, it was better I suppose, but still made errors that were costly. Yoshida was a welcome addition, though he had a couple of close calls - but then he has out for a while. Valery had a mare of a game and some of the early shine and promise has probably gone off. However, he is young and I recall McMenemy was a master at bringing on young players but dropping them briefly into the reserves when they lost their confidence and then return better. He will get better.

But if our defence is proving costly, so is our attack. No matter who we seem to put up front, we are profligate in front of goal and in the end yesterday we should have at least have come away with a point.

Armstrong did well when he came on as did Djenepo and the latter could really make a difference if the short spell of his introduction was a genuine indication of what he may offer our game. I am cautious to get too excited by the prospect as like many of us, we have seen too many false dawns.

Mariner from what I saw live, was awful, simply awful. How he could book Romeu for a supposed late tackle and then not do the same when one was made on Djenepo was bewildering. But, I have not seen the highlights and my reaction to the ref could be unjust! I am sure others on this forum can give a more balanced view.

It is difficult to see where our points will come from. If we cannot score and our defence has at least 2 or 3 costly mistakes per game then I am in danger of stating the bleedin' obvious here. We need to have a good game every game, but also, I would be quite happy if we are as boring as hell at Brighton but get a win out if it. Looking at yesterday, I cannot see us getting any points against any of the top 6 sides, because though we may match in performance, they are clinical and we are anything, but.

I did though, enjoy the game. The atmosphere was not bad. I was conscious of the Liverpool supporters in the boxes and there was no humility in their celebrating in front of the home fans. In the 70's and 80's I had a respect for their football and their managers, but I really struggle to find anything likeable about LFC and their fans, even though, I will concede that Klopp has made them an exciting team to watch - I really dislike LFC and everything connected to them in an almost irrational way.
[Post edited 18 Aug 20:39]

My take on yesterday! on 20:56 - Aug 18 with 965 viewsHappy_Jack

I hope the free ice cream made your day a little less painful.

Millbrook Furnishing shop floor level banter
Poll: Who on this forum has the most impressive contact list on their phone?

My take on yesterday! on 21:04 - Aug 18 with 947 viewsthis_charming_man

Any chance of bullet points next time pal?

TUIs only reliable source of ITk news. #bewareoffalseprophets
Poll: What should areasix do with his crystal ball?

My take on yesterday! on 21:19 - Aug 18 with 920 viewsOccasional_Showers

My take on yesterday! on 20:56 - Aug 18 by Happy_Jack

I hope the free ice cream made your day a little less painful.

Nobody has so far commented on the quality of the ice creams. Was it cheap Mr whippey cream and a rubbish cone? I only like good quality ice cream from a tub in a crispy quality cone (preferably lined in Belgian chocolate).

Top 3 flavours

Salted Caramel
Mint Choc chip
Rum and Raisin
My take on yesterday! on 21:23 - Aug 18 with 909 viewsthis_charming_man

My take on yesterday! on 21:19 - Aug 18 by Occasional_Showers

Nobody has so far commented on the quality of the ice creams. Was it cheap Mr whippey cream and a rubbish cone? I only like good quality ice cream from a tub in a crispy quality cone (preferably lined in Belgian chocolate).

Top 3 flavours

Salted Caramel
Mint Choc chip
Rum and Raisin

Vanilla
Salted caramel
Pistachio

I’m quite fussy about ice cream, although I am partial to a Mr whippy, despite its poor quality.

My take on yesterday! on 21:55 - Aug 18 with 869 viewsA1079

My take on yesterday! on 21:04 - Aug 18 by this_charming_man

Hey TCM, that was me attempting to be brief!!!! ;-)

Valid point though.

You will all be spared my ramblings for the next couple of weeks.

Oh, on the ice cream - saw the queue and could not be bothered. I did try one of those Chinese chicken burgers though - that was interesting.
My take on yesterday! on 22:07 - Aug 18 with 856 viewsthis_charming_man

My take on yesterday! on 21:55 - Aug 18 by A1079

Hey TCM, that was me attempting to be brief!!!! ;-)

Valid point though.

You will all be spared my ramblings for the next couple of weeks.

Oh, on the ice cream - saw the queue and could not be bothered. I did try one of those Chinese chicken burgers though - that was interesting.

Only joking pal.

Did you know Vestergaard didn’t make a single tackle or interception yesterday?

My take on yesterday! on 22:10 - Aug 18 with 850 viewsPatfromPoole

My take on yesterday! on 22:07 - Aug 18 by this_charming_man

Only joking pal.

He really is terrible. He has to be dropped ASAP and Danso put in his place.
My take on yesterday! on 22:21 - Aug 18 with 834 viewsGennaro_Contaldo

My take on yesterday! on 22:10 - Aug 18 by PatfromPoole

But he looks beautiful stood under a small shower with his flowing, Danish locks. Saints are lucky to have him.

The UI; For the sophisticated gentleman
Poll: Where will Saints finish in the 2018/19 season

Login to get fewer ads

My take on yesterday! on 22:29 - Aug 18 with 816 viewskingslandstand1

My take on yesterday! on 21:19 - Aug 18 by Occasional_Showers

Top 3 flavours

Salted Caramel
Mint Choc chip
Rum and Raisin

It did include a flake though
My take on yesterday! on 22:31 - Aug 18 with 810 viewsthis_charming_man

My take on yesterday! on 22:21 - Aug 18 by Gennaro_Contaldo

But he looks beautiful stood under a small shower with his flowing, Danish locks. Saints are lucky to have him.

See he’s been modelling for some clothing company around Winchester?

My take on yesterday! on 22:32 - Aug 18 with 802 viewsthis_charming_man

My take on yesterday! on 22:10 - Aug 18 by PatfromPoole

He is rhe danish Steven Caulker

My take on yesterday! on 22:51 - Aug 18 with 768 viewsA1079

My take on yesterday! on 22:07 - Aug 18 by this_charming_man

Only joking pal.

I know TCM. Even if you weren't joking, it is a valid point and besides, I have never been too big not to take a bit of stick now and then joking or not.

Vestergaard was poor again though, I must admit, I did not notice he was that ineffective. I noticed he does not turn, head or take responsibility. My son was with me and he plays in defence and he knows his stuff better than I do, and he was pointing out his constant failure to do the simple thing.
My take on yesterday! on 23:44 - Aug 18 with 736 viewsRon11

My take on yesterday! on 22:29 - Aug 18 by kingslandstand1

It did include a flake though

Be careful, someone will grass you up on the club hotline for homophobia saying things like that.
My take on yesterday! on 08:01 - Aug 19 with 615 viewsSteveMoron

My take on yesterday! on 21:04 - Aug 18 by this_charming_man

Any chance of not being so dismissive of everyone's opinions pal? I look forward to 1079's intelligent posts each week. I understand why you need them simpler.
It's good he's not full of himself, just the club.
Keep them coming 1079.

My take on yesterday! on 09:21 - Aug 19 with 551 viewsgrumpy

1079 is like a breath of fresh air on this site.
I look forward to his posts.

My take on yesterday! on 09:44 - Aug 19 with 532 viewsinthebox

I supposed to expect much from away to Burnly and home to Euro Champs was a lot to ask. We showed promise and endeavour and on another day come away with point from both games.. The Brighton game is a big game.
My take on yesterday! on 09:51 - Aug 19 with 524 viewsgrumpy

My take on yesterday! on 09:44 - Aug 19 by inthebox

I supposed to expect much from away to Burnly and home to Euro Champs was a lot to ask. We showed promise and endeavour and on another day come away with point from both games.. The Brighton game is a big game.

What told me a lot was the players reaction at the final whistle,they collapsed,they had given everything.
I am convinced Ralph will pull this round if anyone can he will.
My take on yesterday! on 11:44 - Aug 19 with 468 viewssaint22

My take on yesterday! on 09:51 - Aug 19 by grumpy

What told me a lot was the players reaction at the final whistle,they collapsed,they had given everything.
I am convinced Ralph will pull this round if anyone can he will.

I do think (and hope) you are right
We don't have a bad side but Ralph HAS to sort the defensive issues out
What puzzles me is we never seem to have a settled team
We always seem to change our formation etc to suit the opposition instead playing the way we do and making the opposite change
Having said that I think we will draw at Brighton and beat United
COYS
My take on yesterday! on 11:46 - Aug 19 with 464 viewsthis_charming_man

My take on yesterday! on 08:01 - Aug 19 by SteveMoron

Any chance of not being so dismissive of everyone's opinions pal? I look forward to 1079's intelligent posts each week. I understand why you need them simpler.
It's good he's not full of himself, just the club.
Keep them coming 1079.

I said to him it was a joke. Any chance of you actually reading the full thread before getting emotional?

My take on yesterday! on 07:07 - Aug 21 with 294 viewsA_Saint_in_Stoke

Again your views mirror mine WELL DONE - spot on with your post. We now have VAR to supposedly make the games fairer to the smaller clubs - but like Mariner proved - the refs will ALWAYS lean toward the Larger side, in their decisions.

Poll: As a Saint's supporter I Feel Southampton F.C. Public Relations Department is -

My take on yesterday! on 12:10 - Aug 21 with 251 viewsSteveMoron

My take on yesterday! on 11:46 - Aug 19 by this_charming_man

I said to him it was a joke. Any chance of you actually reading the full thread before getting emotional?

Yeah right 😂
I wasn't aware you did jokes.
My take on yesterday! on 14:25 - Aug 21 with 217 viewsA_Saint_in_Stoke

My take on yesterday! on 09:21 - Aug 19 by grumpy

1079 is like a breath of fresh air on this site.
I look forward to his posts.

Yeh! I agree his posts are brilliant - Very accurate a true reflection of each game - sensible down to earth comments, and positive suggestions. Spot On!

Poll: As a Saint's supporter I Feel Southampton F.C. Public Relations Department is -

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2019