Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The blue sky thinkers at our club 22:38 - Aug 18 with 1879 viewsthis_charming_man

You know, the ones who come up with the surveys, the gas works bar idea, the supporters charter, the grassing hotline, basically the people who are supposed to understand the needs of their customer base and align their product accordingly, who are they?

TUIs only reliable source of ITk news. #bewareoffalseprophets
Poll: Would you rather

The blue sky thinkers at our club on 23:28 - Aug 18 with 1182 viewsBicester_North

Whoever it is they probably graduated in the last few years from a media studies course, say “hey” and “like” a lot, and probably have a beard if they’re male.

Poll: How proud are you to see our ex players at Liverpool?

The blue sky thinkers at our club on 23:30 - Aug 18 with 1178 viewsSaintsforeverj

The blue sky thinkers at our club on 23:28 - Aug 18 by Bicester_North

Whoever it is they probably graduated in the last few years from a media studies course, say “hey” and “like” a lot, and probably have a beard if they’re male.

They might have a beard and identify as female.
[Post edited 18 Aug 23:32]
The blue sky thinkers at our club on 23:31 - Aug 18 with 1177 viewsthis_charming_man

The blue sky thinkers at our club on 23:28 - Aug 18 by Bicester_North

I have absolutely no doubt they are first jobbers direct out of “uni” told that getting football fans to spend money is like selling a chocolate bar to a fat kid. The current “marketing” at the club is totally out of touch with our base. They seem to want us to be a premium club, Arsenal lite if you will just seem to forget we are a pretty crap team in a relatively small working class city.

The blue sky thinkers at our club on 23:37 - Aug 18 with 1156 viewsBicester_North

The blue sky thinkers at our club on 23:31 - Aug 18 by this_charming_man

I have absolutely no doubt they are first jobbers direct out of “uni” told that getting football fans to spend money is like selling a chocolate bar to a fat kid. The current “marketing” at the club is totally out of touch with our base. They seem to want us to be a premium club, Arsenal lite if you will just seem to forget we are a pretty crap team in a relatively small working class city.

I bet they are crazy at the works Christmas party though! They probably get totally off their faces and cause proper carnage! LMAO!

Poll: How proud are you to see our ex players at Liverpool?

The blue sky thinkers at our club on 00:25 - Aug 19 with 1131 viewsChesham_Saint

Ironically the club caricatured exactly this type in one of their pre season videos in M’Billy.

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

The blue sky thinkers at our club on 09:12 - Aug 19 with 956 viewsGennaro_Contaldo

The club does nothing for me anymore. It's drivel aimed at a completely different type of customer and spend threshold.

There are some people in the club I like. Hassenhütl is one. Redmond, Yoshida and Shane Long are the others as they are decent, honest pros.

The UI; For the sophisticated gentleman
Poll: Where will Saints finish in the 2018/19 season

The blue sky thinkers at our club on 10:24 - Aug 19 with 915 viewsthis_charming_man

The blue sky thinkers at our club on 09:12 - Aug 19 by Gennaro_Contaldo

The club does nothing for me anymore. It's drivel aimed at a completely different type of customer and spend threshold.

There are some people in the club I like. Hassenhütl is one. Redmond, Yoshida and Shane Long are the others as they are decent, honest pros.

NOt true. On paper you are exactly the sort of customer they want, as am I. Dad with kids, above average income, on paper will come to a game, buy something in the club shop, buy some food and drinks for you and your son, politely clap the players off whatever the result (they think) and then come back for me the following week.

however what their surveys don't tell them is that we come from a traditional working class football background where having a few beers with your mates and what happens on the pitch and the noise in the crowd is more important that Premier league class catering. They want the customer they think you are, not the supporter you actually are.

Unfortunately modern football is not for the likes of us anymore, the clubs don't want the fan that will have a few beers in a city centre pub, turn up at 3.01, then go back to another city centre pub for a few after. I genuinely cannot think of a reason to go anymore other than taking my son. I cant imagine when he is older his memories of football matches will be anything as good as mine though.

The blue sky thinkers at our club on 10:44 - Aug 19 with 902 viewsSaintNick

The blue sky thinkers at our club on 10:24 - Aug 19 by this_charming_man

NOt true. On paper you are exactly the sort of customer they want, as am I. Dad with kids, above average income, on paper will come to a game, buy something in the club shop, buy some food and drinks for you and your son, politely clap the players off whatever the result (they think) and then come back for me the following week.

however what their surveys don't tell them is that we come from a traditional working class football background where having a few beers with your mates and what happens on the pitch and the noise in the crowd is more important that Premier league class catering. They want the customer they think you are, not the supporter you actually are.

Unfortunately modern football is not for the likes of us anymore, the clubs don't want the fan that will have a few beers in a city centre pub, turn up at 3.01, then go back to another city centre pub for a few after. I genuinely cannot think of a reason to go anymore other than taking my son. I cant imagine when he is older his memories of football matches will be anything as good as mine though.

You have got a few things right here, but I will say that having met the people responsible they are trying to get it right, with the recent pricing structure they have tried to cater for the less affluent fans with cheap tickets etc and they should be applauded for that.

A lot of what they are doing is aimed at the people you say, but some of it should not be ridiculed, the fanzone is a good idea it gets kids involved with the club, its not for everyone but then again they can't please everyone all the time.

The problem is that we have to try and maximise income from the fanbase, if only because everyone else is doing so and if we don;t then we will fall behind in the income streams and ultimately that will mean we have less to spend on players.

People can still do exactly what you say, ie go to a city centre pub etc, but not everyone wants to do that so they are only catering for those that like to get to the game early etc.

It is not an ideal world, but I would stick up for them in at least they are trying to get it right, sadly they are impeded by social media that doesn't always reflect what the majority of fans want

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Login to get fewer ads

The blue sky thinkers at our club on 10:50 - Aug 19 with 898 viewsBuggalugs

The blue sky thinkers at our club on 10:44 - Aug 19 by SaintNick

You have got a few things right here, but I will say that having met the people responsible they are trying to get it right, with the recent pricing structure they have tried to cater for the less affluent fans with cheap tickets etc and they should be applauded for that.

A lot of what they are doing is aimed at the people you say, but some of it should not be ridiculed, the fanzone is a good idea it gets kids involved with the club, its not for everyone but then again they can't please everyone all the time.

The problem is that we have to try and maximise income from the fanbase, if only because everyone else is doing so and if we don;t then we will fall behind in the income streams and ultimately that will mean we have less to spend on players.

People can still do exactly what you say, ie go to a city centre pub etc, but not everyone wants to do that so they are only catering for those that like to get to the game early etc.

It is not an ideal world, but I would stick up for them in at least they are trying to get it right, sadly they are impeded by social media that doesn't always reflect what the majority of fans want

Selling corporate packages in the home end is wrong on so many levels though, no matter what additional revenue (surely peanuts for a PL club?) that brings in.

Poll: Who is the most in-the-know on SFC’s transfer activity?

The blue sky thinkers at our club on 10:59 - Aug 19 with 893 viewsSaintNick

The blue sky thinkers at our club on 10:50 - Aug 19 by Buggalugs

Selling corporate packages in the home end is wrong on so many levels though, no matter what additional revenue (surely peanuts for a PL club?) that brings in.

I agree with you, they have looked at the money it can generate rather than the implications, they say they state on the package this is a strictly home fans only area, but how do they police it, they will turf out some oik in the home seats, but when you have someone in there who has the money to pay for his family and has forked out near on a grand and is no going to be too bothered spending another £200 on food and drink and is likley to have the means to sue you, you take the chance.

In the grand scheme of things it wont buy as much as a club, but that doesnt mean we should not do things as they all add up, 200 people paying £180 is 36,000 per game, ok its only 6 games you have a chance of selling it out, but that is still £216,000 over a season and you could add another £75,000 in food and drink sales.

They will take more in two games if it is sold out than they would the entire season as a supporters club type venue.

Corporate hospitality is like first class on planes, the minority pay through the nose so the rest of us can go cheaply.

The blue sky thinkers at our club on 11:01 - Aug 19 with 891 viewsthis_charming_man

The blue sky thinkers at our club on 10:44 - Aug 19 by SaintNick

As I said above though they seem to forget that Southampton is a working class city, yes we have some affluent areas surrounding it but most of our fans are working class people

The fanzone probably is a good idea, it’s not for me but I can see why they do it. The Gas Works pub is just a p*ss take though. After shelling out £600 on a season ticket to then ask someone to spend another £200 odd quid for a membership to a bar is a joke.

Saturday it was £150 and all it effectively got you was a match ticket and a free drink. The laughable suggestion that one of the perks of paying £150 was that it gave you “the opportunity to purchase from the American menu” was just laughable. £22.50 for a burger and chips FFS! If you want another drink at half time then full time you’re looking st over £200 per person to sit in a pub which is showing sky sports.

If you’re going to do it as a one off treat for someone then you might as well pay another £100 and go the whole hospitality route. Or more likely buy them a meal somewhere else. The white star most expensive meal was £20 for a sirloin steak for example, the burger and chips is £10!
I genuinely cannot think of a single reason why any saints fan would go there. They might be trying but they’ve got it so wrong is embarrassing

The blue sky thinkers at our club on 11:32 - Aug 19 with 870 viewsSonicBoom

Why do you care?
As you said you are not the sort of fan that would go to the Gasworks bar anyway.
If there are others with enough money and not enough brain cells who want to go, then good for them. It's their money.
If it is ridiculously overpriced and no one turns up then you can bet it won;'t be long before they change it.
It's still perfectly possible to go to a pub pre match, turn up ten minutes before kick off, and go back to a pub after.
Back in the 80's the club's couldn't give a toss about you. They kept you in a crumbling stadium mostly behind wire and fencing. Food was served from a kiosk and the bogs overflowed. It wasn't a rosy as we remember.
Now the club are making various efforts and I think they should be applauded. Some are good some are bad. If it's not for you, simply don't spend the money on it all.
The blue sky thinkers at our club on 11:38 - Aug 19 with 860 viewsChesham_Saint

The blue sky thinkers at our club on 11:01 - Aug 19 by this_charming_man

As I said above though they seem to forget that Southampton is a working class city, yes we have some affluent areas surrounding it but most of our fans are working class people

The fanzone probably is a good idea, it’s not for me but I can see why they do it. The Gas Works pub is just a p*ss take though. After shelling out £600 on a season ticket to then ask someone to spend another £200 odd quid for a membership to a bar is a joke.

Saturday it was £150 and all it effectively got you was a match ticket and a free drink. The laughable suggestion that one of the perks of paying £150 was that it gave you “the opportunity to purchase from the American menu” was just laughable. £22.50 for a burger and chips FFS! If you want another drink at half time then full time you’re looking st over £200 per person to sit in a pub which is showing sky sports.

If you’re going to do it as a one off treat for someone then you might as well pay another £100 and go the whole hospitality route. Or more likely buy them a meal somewhere else. The white star most expensive meal was £20 for a sirloin steak for example, the burger and chips is £10!
I genuinely cannot think of a single reason why any saints fan would go there. They might be trying but they’ve got it so wrong is embarrassing

"Southampton is a working class city"? That was certainly the case once but times change and there is a shrinking traditional "working class" and a great big homogenous relatively affluent working/middle class bloc now. I assume that's what the club is trying to reach.

In any event TCM, if you despise the modern game so much why do you contribute to a football board (much as I enjoy most of your contributions)?

This away fans in the exec box issue is outrageous though.
A few years ago I got tickets for a box at West Ham's old ground as a guest of a supplier. Along with the tickets came a covering letter saying whilst it was great to have away fans there the "Boleyn ground" had a great atmosphere and away fans should not show their colours or be too expressive in their support.

When I got to the box my host (a middle aged skinhead in a retro Hammers shirt - cliché alert) very nicely explained that if Saints scored I'd better not cheer as there'd been some Everton fans in there at a previous match who'd done just that.
Some locals responded by climbing into the box and giving them a good beating before jumping back into the crowd and disappearing. West Ham's response? Just the letter and verbal warning to me. No onerous action against their fans. Buyer beware and all that...!

The blue sky thinkers at our club on 11:41 - Aug 19 with 855 viewssaint22

The blue sky thinkers at our club on 11:32 - Aug 19 by SonicBoom

Why do you care?
As you said you are not the sort of fan that would go to the Gasworks bar anyway.
If there are others with enough money and not enough brain cells who want to go, then good for them. It's their money.
If it is ridiculously overpriced and no one turns up then you can bet it won;'t be long before they change it.
It's still perfectly possible to go to a pub pre match, turn up ten minutes before kick off, and go back to a pub after.
Back in the 80's the club's couldn't give a toss about you. They kept you in a crumbling stadium mostly behind wire and fencing. Food was served from a kiosk and the bogs overflowed. It wasn't a rosy as we remember.
Now the club are making various efforts and I think they should be applauded. Some are good some are bad. If it's not for you, simply don't spend the money on it all.

Agree with this
If what they are doing generates more revenue thats ploughed back into buying better players then I am all for it
You don't have to play ball, I don't, my sons and i just get in at 1445 watch the game and then leave, I buy them a shirt each season
As Nick said 1st class on planes keeps everyone else flying cheaply so if their gasworks membership works and my sons still get to watch a game for around £10 thats fine
The blue sky thinkers at our club on 11:42 - Aug 19 with 855 viewsSaintNick

Why do you care?

You are right, the past is now looked at through rose tinted spectacles, back in the 1980;s the clubs cared little and the facilities were non existent.

People are rightly up in arms about a kid being hit by an object and a woman hit by the coaches, but back in the 1980's these things happened all the time, there was barely a game went by without some sort of trouble between fans, mostly low key but occasionally major.

Its all about providing some sort of variety to cater for different kinds of supporters

The blue sky thinkers at our club on 11:45 - Aug 19 with 852 viewsthis_charming_man

Why do you care?

I care because they have got it so wrong it's laughable. As I said I am actually the sort of fan this thing is aimed at, these days Id usually go with my son who is 6. So why would I and people like me stop going to a city centre the pub prematch and instead go to the Gas Works bar instead? Surely this is what they should be thinking? How can I get these fans who have spent the last 25 years going to city centre pubs, but are now a bit older, have kids, wont want the hassle of dragging them round town so would be interested in a pre-match pint somewhere nearer or even in the ground. This is what in the business world they call low hanging fruit.

I tell you this, £150 per person just to get it, plus £22 per person for some food is not it.

The blue sky thinkers at our club on 12:18 - Aug 19 with 831 viewsChesham_Saint

The blue sky thinkers at our club on 11:45 - Aug 19 by this_charming_man

I care because they have got it so wrong it's laughable. As I said I am actually the sort of fan this thing is aimed at, these days Id usually go with my son who is 6. So why would I and people like me stop going to a city centre the pub prematch and instead go to the Gas Works bar instead? Surely this is what they should be thinking? How can I get these fans who have spent the last 25 years going to city centre pubs, but are now a bit older, have kids, wont want the hassle of dragging them round town so would be interested in a pre-match pint somewhere nearer or even in the ground. This is what in the business world they call low hanging fruit.

I tell you this, £150 per person just to get it, plus £22 per person for some food is not it.

So, if they get the pricing right you'd go? Fair enough, I agree with you. The figures mentioned are ridiculous.

I want to bring my kids to their first match this season and I wouldn't do so if it was still like the 70s and 80s (when as Nick says, there was trouble at almost every single game with many matches being like running the gauntlet just to get in).

The blue sky thinkers at our club on 12:49 - Aug 19 with 805 viewsSaintsforeverj

The club have got this wrong because the club should be thinking about their very own fanbase. This suits rich away fans. What Saints fan is going to pay an extra £150 to watch Saints get beat? This is the club being greedy trying to get more money at the same time upsetting the loyal fans who were there in league one.
The blue sky thinkers at our club on 13:07 - Aug 19 with 787 viewsGennaro_Contaldo

The blue sky thinkers at our club on 10:24 - Aug 19 by this_charming_man

Sadly on that first paragraph you're right. But that's not the experience I want now having had something different before, that I enjoyed.

The UI; For the sophisticated gentleman
Poll: Where will Saints finish in the 2018/19 season

The blue sky thinkers at our club on 13:26 - Aug 19 with 761 viewsSaintNick

The blue sky thinkers at our club on 13:07 - Aug 19 by Gennaro_Contaldo

Sadly on that first paragraph you're right. But that's not the experience I want now having had something different before, that I enjoyed.

The thing is you dont have to go to any of the clubs initiatives, I dont i do the same thing i have always done for the last god knows how long, meet up in town, a couple of beers to the game and then straight back to town after, if people want to go to the gasworks bar of the fanzone then thats their choice it doesn't affect me in any way shape or form.

Having sat in the Kingsland since it opened it was mainly only open before and after the match apart from the last few years when it opened half time, even then you had no more than 200 in there paying over the odds for beer, it is hardly a loss

The blue sky thinkers at our club on 13:38 - Aug 19 with 748 viewsPatfromPoole

Does the FANZONE open after the game?
The blue sky thinkers at our club on 14:06 - Aug 19 with 736 viewsthis_charming_man

The blue sky thinkers at our club on 12:18 - Aug 19 by Chesham_Saint

So, if they get the pricing right you'd go? Fair enough, I agree with you. The figures mentioned are ridiculous.

I want to bring my kids to their first match this season and I wouldn't do so if it was still like the 70s and 80s (when as Nick says, there was trouble at almost every single game with many matches being like running the gauntlet just to get in).

I probably would go if they made it attractive. Im quite happy to turn up bang on kick off time but kids want to get their early, go to the shop etc so if there was somewhere in the ground we could get a beer and a burger, showing sky sports etc then i'd probably use it.

As has already been said they've completely missed a trick by trying to make it a entry level corporate area as there isn't the demand for it. They should make it a Saints supporters only members bar, say £25 a season membership or free to season ticker holders, if they want to add a few quid on to the price of food and drink for the convience of using a pub in the ground then that's fair enough, but doing it that way i' pretty sure the bar will be full most weeks with Saints getting the business. To charge ridiculous membership fees or match day prices then expect fans to pay almost double to price for a burger and chips as you can get in pubs in town is taking the p*ss. They've got it so wrong its a joke. I hope they see sense and reduce prices, but then you'll have a lot of p*ssed off fans who have already paid membership prices for the season or paid £150 for the Liverpool game.

The blue sky thinkers at our club on 14:20 - Aug 19 with 718 viewsNumber_58

The blue sky thinkers at our club on 14:06 - Aug 19 by this_charming_man

I probably would go if they made it attractive. Im quite happy to turn up bang on kick off time but kids want to get their early, go to the shop etc so if there was somewhere in the ground we could get a beer and a burger, showing sky sports etc then i'd probably use it.

As has already been said they've completely missed a trick by trying to make it a entry level corporate area as there isn't the demand for it. They should make it a Saints supporters only members bar, say £25 a season membership or free to season ticker holders, if they want to add a few quid on to the price of food and drink for the convience of using a pub in the ground then that's fair enough, but doing it that way i' pretty sure the bar will be full most weeks with Saints getting the business. To charge ridiculous membership fees or match day prices then expect fans to pay almost double to price for a burger and chips as you can get in pubs in town is taking the p*ss. They've got it so wrong its a joke. I hope they see sense and reduce prices, but then you'll have a lot of p*ssed off fans who have already paid membership prices for the season or paid £150 for the Liverpool game.

I've never understood why stadiums and arenas charge such exorbitant prices for food and drink. As Nick rightly pointed out, it's everyone's choice where they go before and after a game, but in my case if the food and drink at the stadium was much cheaper I would probably chose to go there.

The blue sky thinkers at our club on 14:21 - Aug 19 with 717 viewsericofarabia

As an aside, did anybody try the 76 IPA? If so how was it?
The blue sky thinkers at our club on 18:29 - Aug 19 with 625 viewsKennington

The blue sky thinkers at our club on 12:49 - Aug 19 by Saintsforeverj

The club have got this wrong because the club should be thinking about their very own fanbase. This suits rich away fans. What Saints fan is going to pay an extra £150 to watch Saints get beat? This is the club being greedy trying to get more money at the same time upsetting the loyal fans who were there in league one.

It’s one step away from Fulham with their neutral zones. Like nightclubs, VIP areas shouldn’t be allowed.

Poll: What age is too old for a striker?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2019