Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Man United Far From Sell Out 13:37 - Aug 19 with 3712 viewsSaintNick

Loads of tickets still left for the United game , judging by the number left season ticket sales were down

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Man United Far From Sell Out on 13:40 - Aug 19 with 1785 viewsPatfromPoole

Yeah, I noticed this last week when I had a look.

£50 tickets and an early kick-off moved for TV will account for it. Plus I suspect we are still heavily into the bar mitzvahs season.

Man United Far From Sell Out on 13:49 - Aug 19 with 1768 viewsPatfromPoole

However, have just bought a far more sensibly priced ticket for the Boscombe game for £30, plus the obligatory £1.25 web sales fee.....

Man United Far From Sell Out on 13:52 - Aug 19 with 1766 viewsBuggalugs

It’s because 1000s of Saints fans who want to go can’t, because they have no purchase history.

“Ultimately, the root cause of the problem is the stadium's small capacity.”

Poll: Who is the most in-the-know on SFC’s transfer activity?

Man United Far From Sell Out on 14:14 - Aug 19 with 1739 viewsthis_charming_man

Man United Far From Sell Out on 13:52 - Aug 19 by Buggalugs

It’s because 1000s of Saints fans who want to go can’t, because they have no purchase history.

this is it. A lot of people will think that because of the small capacity they wont be able to get a ticket so don't bother trying. If we had a 50,000 capacity stadium would think there was more chance of getting one so would try. also if this meant away fans would be moved to the corner then our results would automatically become better so more people would want to come anyway.

TUIs only reliable source of ITk news. #bewareoffalseprophets
Poll: What should areasix do with his crystal ball?

Man United Far From Sell Out on 14:22 - Aug 19 with 1725 viewsericofarabia

Midtable United aren't quite the pull that they used to be.
Man United Far From Sell Out on 14:26 - Aug 19 with 1719 viewsSaintNick

Man United Far From Sell Out on 13:52 - Aug 19 by Buggalugs

You could be right, although those who have a purchase history datng back the last six years must run into the 60-70 k mark, there will be a few who slip through the net.

If we cant sell this one out then we dont need to expand the stadium that is for sure.

We could also solve the problem of away fans in home sections if we had allocated a section where we could get all those in home sections in the away end.

Man United Far From Sell Out on 15:39 - Aug 19 with 1667 viewsBuggalugs

Man United Far From Sell Out on 14:26 - Aug 19 by SaintNick

You could be right, although those who have a purchase history datng back the last six years must run into the 60-70 k mark, there will be a few who slip through the net.

If we cant sell this one out then we dont need to expand the stadium that is for sure.

We could also solve the problem of away fans in home sections if we had allocated a section where we could get all those in home sections in the away end.

Wrong, this is exactly the right time to expand the stadium as all the away fans that have found ways to buy tickets in the home end would have an additional 10,000 empty seats to sit in.

It's apathetic fans like you that are holding this club back.

Poll: Who is the most in-the-know on SFC’s transfer activity?

Man United Far From Sell Out on 17:30 - Aug 19 with 1585 viewsBarnetSaint

Tickets £50 plus ticket tax
No thanks.
Are away fans still paying £30?
Login to get fewer ads

Man United Far From Sell Out on 17:33 - Aug 19 with 1581 viewsA1079

Man United Far From Sell Out on 14:26 - Aug 19 by SaintNick

I will admit Nick I am not going to this one and it is purely down to my own economics. I went to the Burnley game and I went this weekend and I haven't added it all up, but (including paying for my son) I guess the whole thing with travel etc is in the region of £200 plus in the space of a week or so.

So, I just made the call that can I really afford another game in August on top of usual outgoings? To be honest, No, I can't. It is not because I don't want to go - I do; it is not because we have not won - it isn't, because I am used to us not winning; it isn't because it is on TV - because I never use that as a reason to attend or not - it is simply a case of managing my own budget.

That said, don't be surprised if I change my mind last minute as the pang of guilt of not being there, sets in!

Man United Far From Sell Out on 17:59 - Aug 19 with 1553 viewsSalisburySaint

Sales for Liverpool 2 weeks before game were much the same, many people know it will not sell out quickly and wait until they’ve got cash to buy tickets.

Mind you with cost of tickets and it being lunchtime kick off live on TV quite a few will not bother
Man United Far From Sell Out on 18:04 - Aug 19 with 1545 viewsSaintsforeverj

Man United Far From Sell Out on 17:33 - Aug 19 by A1079

I will admit Nick I am not going to this one and it is purely down to my own economics. I went to the Burnley game and I went this weekend and I haven't added it all up, but (including paying for my son) I guess the whole thing with travel etc is in the region of £200 plus in the space of a week or so.

So, I just made the call that can I really afford another game in August on top of usual outgoings? To be honest, No, I can't. It is not because I don't want to go - I do; it is not because we have not won - it isn't, because I am used to us not winning; it isn't because it is on TV - because I never use that as a reason to attend or not - it is simply a case of managing my own budget.

That said, don't be surprised if I change my mind last minute as the pang of guilt of not being there, sets in!

The true Saints fans just like yourself can't afford to go. It will sell out as the club well know. Man U fans will end up buying the tickets I suspect.

Man United Far From Sell Out on 18:25 - Aug 19 with 1529 viewsKennington

Tickets for these top tier games are stupidly expensive. £50, seriously?

Comparing football to one off gigs or a test matches isn’t really like for like either as some argue as this is one of 19 home league games. Saints as a club don’t have 100,000s of fans that will only do one or two games a season and I instead they need several thousand non season ticket holders to do say 5-12 home games each. It’s no wonder that many of those (including me) find the price prohibitive. Plus I prefer to go to more winnable games and wouldn’t intentionally choose a top 6 team.

Poll: What age is too old for a striker?

Man United Far From Sell Out on 21:17 - Aug 19 with 1423 viewsSaintNick

Man United Far From Sell Out on 17:33 - Aug 19 by A1079

No one can criticise those who have a budget, I never slag anyone off for that, sometimes you just have to pic and choose according to afforfability, if you are going to miss a match then a TV one is a good one to miss as you can at least watch it

Man Utd nearing Sell Out on 22:50 - Aug 19 with 1376 viewsdirk_doone

I wouldn't worry about it, Nick, if I were you. It will be sold out and you know it, and an alarmist post a week before our next game at Brighton won't stop the following game selling out. Of course the £65 adult ticket price in the majority of the ground will put a lot of people off buying tickets but the stadium is so small that demand will still far exceed supply.

Our average home attendances in our top flight seasons at St Mary's have all been close to the stadium's capacity:

2019/20: 31,712
2018/19: 30,139
2017/18: 30,794
2016/17: 30,936
2015/16: 30.751
2014/15: 30,741
2013/14: 30,212
2012/13: 30,874
2004/05: 30,610
2003/04: 31,699
2002/03: 30,680
2001/02: 30,633

For comparison, little Pompey, when their stadium had a capacity of 50,000 only ever averaged 30,000 home gates in 7 seasons (1946/47-1952/53) so in the era of the highest gates in the history of the football league, when it just cost 1 or 2 pennies to go in, and they were one of the most successful teams in the country and won the league twice, their support was basically sh!t, with their ground half empty most of the time, and their attendances were only propped up by all the sailors stationed there after the war.

[Post edited 20 Aug 16:09]

Poll: Would you like a home 'kop' at St. Mary's directly behind one of the goals?

Man United Far From Sell Out on 23:22 - Aug 19 with 1338 viewsSaintNick

Man Utd nearing Sell Out on 22:50 - Aug 19 by dirk_doone

I wouldn't worry about it, Nick, if I were you. It will be sold out and you know it, and an alarmist post a week before our next game at Brighton won't stop the following game selling out. Of course the £65 adult ticket price in the majority of the ground will put a lot of people off buying tickets but the stadium is so small that demand will still far exceed supply.

Our average home attendances in our top flight seasons at St Mary's have all been close to the stadium's capacity:

For comparison, little Pompey, when their stadium had a capacity of 50,000 only ever averaged 30,000 home gates in 7 seasons (1946/47-1952/53) so in the era of the highest gates in the history of the football league, when it just cost 1 or 2 pennies to go in, and they were one of the most successful teams in the country and won the league twice, their support was basically sh!t, with their ground half empty most of the time, and their attendances were only propped up by all the sailors stationed there after the war.

Im not sure it will sell out, ticket sales are a lot slower than for the Liverpool game and last season the attendance was only 30,187.

Last season our average was some 1,800 below capacity and some games clearly were nowhere near the published attendance, due to season ticket holders not turning up and tickets given to schools etc included when not all were taken up.

The point is that even for the Man Utd game traditionally one of the biggest games of the season at the moment it is not flying out of the ticket office and that has to be a worry.

At the moment our attendance is too affected by results rather than fans turning out whatever is happening on the field, you know yourself that social media is full of people saying how they arent going and moaning about something.

That has to be turned round, the club said several years ago that if they were selling out every game then they could consider expanding the stadium, but we only do so on about 3-4 games a season.

Last year the big six games were

Man Utd 30,187
Chelsea 27.077
Arsenal 29, 497
Man City 31 381
Spurs 31 890
Liverpool 31 797

All full allocation of away fans but only 2 sell outs, I would love St Mary's to be expanded and full every week, but the demand just isnt there, too many people have psyched themselves out of going and just become accustomed to being negative about the club

Man United Far From Sell Out on 23:26 - Aug 19 with 1336 viewsdirk_doone

Nick, really you need to get over it, Our AVERAGE home gate in the top flight is ALWAYS close to capacity, whether you like it or not.

Whether our capacity was 18,000 or 38,000 it would be too.

Even when we had a 15,000 capacity, there were still attendances below capacity because of illness, holidays, season ticket holders picking and choosing games, small away followings etc.

What I would concede is that a team that has won as little as ours has over the years and loses far more games than it wins is obviously not going to fill a 60,000 stadium.

An extra tier on one side, taking the capacity to 38,000, would, however, take our average home attendance up to 37,000. But to achieve that the club would no longer be able to charge £65 for tickets so they wouldn't do more than break even on the investment. What it would do, though, is give our club a higher profile, attract better players to what would no longer be perceived as an unambitious club with one of the smallest capacities in the Premier League and enable us to attract new fans. It would be a sign of progress rather than stagnation and regression.

At the moment the ground is nearly full of old folk like us. New young fans are being discouraged. What 14-year-old can afford to turn up to games with his mates, get behind the goal and sing his head off like we used to do? The club's pricing structure means that you either have to be an adult with a reasonable disposable income or a child accompanied by a parent. The formative teenage years which create proper football fans are being forced out and the small stadium capacity allows the club to get away with doing that because they know they have no need of new fans.
[Post edited 20 Aug 7:36]

Poll: Would you like a home 'kop' at St. Mary's directly behind one of the goals?

Man United Far From Sell Out on 07:37 - Aug 20 with 1186 viewsMushty

Man United Far From Sell Out on 23:26 - Aug 19 by dirk_doone

Nick, really you need to get over it, Our AVERAGE home gate in the top flight is ALWAYS close to capacity, whether you like it or not.

Even when we had a 15,000 capacity, there were still attendances below capacity because of illness, holidays, season ticket holders picking and choosing games, small away followings etc.

What I would concede is that a team that has won as little as ours has over the years and loses far more games than it wins is obviously not going to fill a 60,000 stadium.

An extra tier on one side, taking the capacity to 38,000, would, however, take our average home attendance up to 37,000. But to achieve that the club would no longer be able to charge £65 for tickets so they wouldn't do more than break even on the investment. What it would do, though, is give our club a higher profile, attract better players to what would no longer be perceived as an unambitious club with one of the smallest capacities in the Premier League and enable us to attract new fans. It would be a sign of progress rather than stagnation and regression.

At the moment the ground is nearly full of old folk like us. New young fans are being discouraged. What 14-year-old can afford to turn up to games with his mates, get behind the goal and sing his head off like we used to do? The club's pricing structure means that you either have to be an adult with a reasonable disposable income or a child accompanied by a parent. The formative teenage years which create proper football fans are being forced out and the small stadium capacity allows the club to get away with doing that because they know they have no need of new fans.

£65 to sit down the side, £50 for the corners/end, there's your problem when you can watch any game at home for free/or get a bunch of mates to chip in a quid each and watch it in full HD. Cheap beer, you can turn it off if it's sh*te and better atmosphere! Can't really blame them.

As Dirk says, mostly just us oldies/long-standing season ticket holders now, they really need to make tickets far cheaper for younger fans.

Man United Far From Sell Out on 08:19 - Aug 20 with 1146 viewssaintwizzler

People would pay the £50/65 if we won a few games.
As been said above, £50/£65 for a game on TV after 2 (maybe 3) losses on the bounce is asking too much.

On the other hand, a victory v Brighton would see more tickets sold next week.

We thought that we had the answers, It was the questions we had wrong.

Man United Far From Sell Out on 09:08 - Aug 20 with 1110 viewsSaintNick

Man United Far From Sell Out on 23:26 - Aug 19 by dirk_doone

Dirk, with respect I dont need to get over anything, you started the debate and I am merely relaying the facts of the situation as they stand, the club said several years ago they could not look at expanding the stadium until EVERY game was a sell out not just the odd ones.

I like the fact that the ground is CLOSE to capacity, but that is not FULL, I have explained countless times the logistics of expanding a football ground, yet your only argument is that if we build it they will come.

The cheaper ticket argument doesn't wash, last season against Brighton they sold tickets at £20 a head yet even with 3,000 away fans there was still only 28,811 in the ground, that meant that there were less than 26,000 Saints fans in the ground, so why are another 10,000 going to turn up just because we have built another tier.

I agree with all your reasons for expanding the ground, but the fact still remains the demand is not there, our attendances are based on success and we have all seen the numbers who have deserted us over the past few years due to not being entertained etc.

This is the first season the club has charged £65 and there are relatively few tickets that are actually sold at this price because most of the central areas are season tickets paying an average 0f £38 per game.

Speak to anyone nvolved in the running of a football club and they will tell you that the big six aside it is hard to fill stadiums, slashing ticket prices is not the answer, building a season ticket base is, but the £399 season ticket is far from sold out, so what does that tell you.

You say the kids are being forced out, absolute tosh, again we are selling season tickets to kids for as little as £19 in the family centre to the under 11's, an under 18 can go for £150 .

A parent could buy season tickets for him and two kids (1 under 11 and say one 15 year old) for a total of £710, thats £37 a game in total, we still have plenty of these tickets available.

Those who keep harping on about ground expansion and filling it by cutting costs dont seem to realise that these cheap prices are already available but arent fully subscribed so where are the extra 10,000.

The club is heading in the right direction, it has broadened its price structure at both ends, the person turning up only for the big clubs paying £65 is subsidising the fact that we are trying to get in the kids and those who cant afford big prices at the other end of the scale.

If you want to debate ground expansion im up for that, I have been in several meetings with the club to discuss it, but you need to have a better argument than the fact that if we build another 7,000 seats we will automatically fill them

Man United Far From Sell Out on 09:08 - Aug 20 with 1110 viewsericofarabia

Don't forget the fact that thousands of fans are doing a Portsmyth type boycott because they don't like
1/ The Shirts
2/ The Owner
3/The GasWorks

#FACT
Man United Far From Sell Out on 09:12 - Aug 20 with 1105 viewsSaintNick

Man United Far From Sell Out on 09:08 - Aug 20 by ericofarabia

Don't forget the fact that thousands of fans are doing a Portsmyth type boycott because they don't like
1/ The Shirts
2/ The Owner
3/The GasWorks

#FACT

It is fact, the Gasworks situation affected about 200 people who went in there, you would think that it was 35,000

Man United Far From Sell Out on 10:20 - Aug 20 with 1066 viewssaints__fan__73

The PL is becoming less and less attractive to people who aren't fans of the Big 6 every day.

You are one of the few who are as fanatical now as you were 40 years ago but you are in small minority Nick. Personally I think this is more you remembering what things were like in the 70s/80s. Can you really expect a Saints fan getting into the game now to be a fanatical as you were back then given the state of the PL today?

We are in a league where the top 6 are untouchable and the other 14 teams are just sacrificial lambs for the foreign tv crowds to watch be slaughtered as warm-up fights for the big boys in between their battles among themselves.

We are in a league where, if all goes well and we do as well as we possibly can do and all our signings come off..... we can come SEVENTH. Is that really that much to get excited about?

Asking anyone to be a fan of Saints today is like asking someone to be a devout fan of that team the Harlem Globetrotters drag around the world to play against every game.

"Playing Devil's Advocate since 15th January 2014"
Poll: Have the events of the Summer made Nick feel closer to LFC?

Give it a rest, Nick. You know it will be sold out. on 10:47 - Aug 20 with 1047 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

Man Utd nearing Sell Out on 22:50 - Aug 19 by dirk_doone

Except that freedom of information requests show the true picture.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45158878

Your club has possibly only averaged over 30k once or maybe twice. Add to this the fact that last year attendances for the top flight were as high as the best ever attendances, and you realise that your club were averaging around 27k with the FOI taken into account, and our club averaged 37k.

Back in the day, fans would be able to get more than one fan in through the turn-style at a time, and clubs would often declare attendances to be less than they were for tax reasons. Most clubs would do this, and it easy to understand why. Therefore, Pompey were possibly averaging around 40k, a full 13k above your club.

Soton will never top the Pompey average. I know it's hard for you to accept it, but it's true. And get over the stadium expansion plan, the owners have sussed that you will never need it.

Poll: Is Southampton FC a big club. Where do they rank?

Give it a rest, Nick. You know it will be sold out. on 11:09 - Aug 20 with 1030 viewsPatfromPoole

Give it a rest, Nick. You know it will be sold out. on 10:47 - Aug 20 by 130yrs_and_one_Cup

Except that freedom of information requests show the true picture.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45158878

Your club has possibly only averaged over 30k once or maybe twice. Add to this the fact that last year attendances for the top flight were as high as the best ever attendances, and you realise that your club were averaging around 27k with the FOI taken into account, and our club averaged 37k.

Back in the day, fans would be able to get more than one fan in through the turn-style at a time, and clubs would often declare attendances to be less than they were for tax reasons. Most clubs would do this, and it easy to understand why. Therefore, Pompey were possibly averaging around 40k, a full 13k above your club.

Soton will never top the Pompey average. I know it's hard for you to accept it, but it's true. And get over the stadium expansion plan, the owners have sussed that you will never need it.

We were avoiding tax as well.

Our attendances were really 50,000.

Eat it.
Give it a rest, Nick. You know it will be sold out. on 11:25 - Aug 20 with 1018 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

Give it a rest, Nick. You know it will be sold out. on 11:09 - Aug 20 by PatfromPoole

We were avoiding tax as well.

Our attendances were really 50,000.

Eat it.

I am using facts, you are using humour and hyperbole. Nice to have your easy going charm back though, and good effort.

Poll: Is Southampton FC a big club. Where do they rank?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2019