Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Town full of hippies, just a town full of hippies 09:06 - Oct 8 with 2418 viewsJames1980

http://rochdaleonline.co.uk/news-features/2/news-headlines/130554/rochdale-counc

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Town full of hippies, just a town full of hippies on 13:17 - Oct 8 with 2217 viewsKenBoon

The thing that sticks out for me is 13% of households cannot afford to heat their homes. I wish them the best in getting folk onto the hugely overpriced, overcrowded, unreliable and generally filthy transport system that still isn't fully integrated and the train + tram tickets that are available are really well hidden.
Town full of hippies, just a town full of hippies on 16:13 - Oct 8 with 2103 viewsDalenet

You have to laugh at the council leaders claim that the town has done a lot by declaring a climate emergency. And Friends of the Earth think Rochdale should be 20% trees. Hasn't Rochdale got the largest area of moorland in Greater Manchester - good luck planting trees on that!

I do wonder why councils don't insist that all new homes have some kind of renewable energy element as a condition of the planning permission - solar panels, water recycling, heat pumps. And we should target that ever single publicly owned home should be energy efficient through sensible refurbishment. It is shocking that 12% are in fuel poverty - but that figure isn't any higher than elsewhere.

Finally they suggest 60% should be using public transport, cycle or walk to work. The distances anybody in the borough needs to travel to work nowadays means the latter two won't change much. So it is public transport then..........in a town where many buses run no more frequently that every half hour, there is no joined up timetabling and most stop at 6pm. The idea is simplistic and seems to forget that Rochdale is now heavily a residential town with many people needing to go outside the borough to work
Town full of hippies, just a town full of hippies on 16:53 - Oct 8 with 2050 views49thseason

It's not so long ago that the then Chief Executive of Rochdale stated in a conversation that Rochdale should prepare to be a dormitory town and accept that all the new jobs were going to be in Manchester. It was an attempt to justify the Tram and the lack of Hi-Tech, high -value companies coming to Kingsway per the original plan. The town has been shafted by successive councils with neither the inspiration or inclination to change the economic future of the Borough. Stupid runs deep in our elected representatives.
Town full of hippies, just a town full of hippies on 18:06 - Oct 8 with 1961 viewsrochdale_ranger

Town full of hippies, just a town full of hippies on 16:13 - Oct 8 by Dalenet

You have to laugh at the council leaders claim that the town has done a lot by declaring a climate emergency. And Friends of the Earth think Rochdale should be 20% trees. Hasn't Rochdale got the largest area of moorland in Greater Manchester - good luck planting trees on that!

I do wonder why councils don't insist that all new homes have some kind of renewable energy element as a condition of the planning permission - solar panels, water recycling, heat pumps. And we should target that ever single publicly owned home should be energy efficient through sensible refurbishment. It is shocking that 12% are in fuel poverty - but that figure isn't any higher than elsewhere.

Finally they suggest 60% should be using public transport, cycle or walk to work. The distances anybody in the borough needs to travel to work nowadays means the latter two won't change much. So it is public transport then..........in a town where many buses run no more frequently that every half hour, there is no joined up timetabling and most stop at 6pm. The idea is simplistic and seems to forget that Rochdale is now heavily a residential town with many people needing to go outside the borough to work

When I was an apprentice I used to get out of the van in Rochdale town centre at the end of a work day and catch a bus up to whitworth. You would be waiting for it for an hour then it would take forty minutes to get you there. Then they made the last bus to whitworth/acccrington/rossendale at 8pm. I don’t know if that’s changed but I’ve been told the service is now worse.
Town full of hippies, just a town full of hippies on 18:34 - Oct 8 with 1908 viewspedrodale

I agree with all of that Dalenet though not sure why you're saying the moor isn't suitable for tree planting unless you meant over grazing.
Also 5% of tree cover is shocking. Nationally we still only have about 12% of which only about a third is native which is one reason why we are one of the most nature depleted countries in the world.
Town full of hippies, just a town full of hippies on 18:37 - Oct 8 with 1897 viewsD_Alien

Town full of hippies, just a town full of hippies on 18:34 - Oct 8 by pedrodale

I agree with all of that Dalenet though not sure why you're saying the moor isn't suitable for tree planting unless you meant over grazing.
Also 5% of tree cover is shocking. Nationally we still only have about 12% of which only about a third is native which is one reason why we are one of the most nature depleted countries in the world.

Apparently the moors were covered with forest until the early Roman period, hence the widespread peat bogs

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Town full of hippies, just a town full of hippies on 18:38 - Oct 8 with 1897 viewsflyerdale

That moorland used to be forests before they were chopped down.
Town full of hippies, just a town full of hippies on 20:56 - Oct 8 with 1791 viewsrochdaleriddler

Town full of hippies, just a town full of hippies on 13:17 - Oct 8 by KenBoon

The thing that sticks out for me is 13% of households cannot afford to heat their homes. I wish them the best in getting folk onto the hugely overpriced, overcrowded, unreliable and generally filthy transport system that still isn't fully integrated and the train + tram tickets that are available are really well hidden.

I do use public transport quite a bit, but only discovered recently that the combined bus and train ticket is only £1 dearer than a return train ticket to Manchester. I used to get a taxi at £3 plus to Littleborough . You can buy them on the bus.

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024