Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
New York 22:26 - Oct 8 with 1138 viewsJaySaint

Will be booking to go here in the summer - 4-5 nights

2 questions.

1. Is it all that?
2. BA or Virgin flights. Which one? Do both offer free meals/drinks on their long hauls these days?

New York on 00:03 - Oct 9 with 787 viewsDorsetIan

Is it all that?

Absolutely. Amazing place. Even if all you did was walk around for 4-5 days, it would still be brilliant.
New York on 07:06 - Oct 9 with 743 viewsMushty

New York on 00:03 - Oct 9 by DorsetIan

Is it all that?

Absolutely. Amazing place. Even if all you did was walk around for 4-5 days, it would still be brilliant.

As he said, summed up in a nutshell.

Fantastic place and, yep, freebies all the way.

New York on 07:32 - Oct 9 with 729 viewssaint22

It is all that though its not what it was15/20 years back but then nowhere is
What do you want to do?

As for flights BA is far better service wise though if you are economy Virgin is probably more 'fun' also depends if you get a new plane or not and what IFE they have etc
If going in a higher class BA all the way

New York on 08:06 - Oct 9 with 709 viewsthis_charming_man

You're in the right place for advise on New York Jay Saint, that is for sure!

Although we were advised a while back not to travel to New York in the summer as it's too hot, so you may want to rethink when you travel. BA allow you to change your flight at 20 minutes notice too if you decide you want to wait for the next one. BA, New York in the spring sounds like the way to go pal, someone on here might even offer you use of their NYC apartment if you're nice to them.

TUIs only reliable source of ITk news. #bewareoffalseprophets
Poll: Would you rather

New York on 08:34 - Oct 9 with 702 viewsTheMoog

New York on 08:06 - Oct 9 by this_charming_man

You're in the right place for advise on New York Jay Saint, that is for sure!

Although we were advised a while back not to travel to New York in the summer as it's too hot, so you may want to rethink when you travel. BA allow you to change your flight at 20 minutes notice too if you decide you want to wait for the next one. BA, New York in the spring sounds like the way to go pal, someone on here might even offer you use of their NYC apartment if you're nice to them.

And if you ride your bike to the airport you're carbon neutral.

Standby to standby

New York on 08:37 - Oct 9 with 697 viewssaint22

Alternatively you could ask the plethora of well travelled___know___it____all types here for help and see how far you get

New York on 08:49 - Oct 9 with 684 viewsHeisenberg

Few years ago now but flew with Virgin and it was fine. Stayed in the lovely named meat packing district in a not too expensive but nice hotel. All the sites are great but found a week enough. Eating out about the same in any major city, got fed up with all that tipping shite. Not my favourite city but glad I've been, probably once is enough as lots of other places would like to visit.

I know you shouldn't generalise but Yanks are generally very friendly and hospitable but a lot are full of shite and, shall we say, not the brightest.

“Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously'
Poll: Who should get a statue outside the old girl ?

New York on 09:13 - Oct 9 with 677 viewsGennaro_Contaldo

"Is it all that?"

In all honesty, it's a big city, it'll have something for you to do. It's okay - I wouldn't get excited about it. We last did it over Christmas which was very good as they do love to go OTT about Christmas.

But in all honesty in my humble opinion, it's just like London but more noisy.

The UI; For the sophisticated gentleman
Poll: Where will Saints finish in the 2018/19 season

Login to get fewer ads

New York on 09:46 - Oct 9 with 666 viewssaint22

New York on 08:49 - Oct 9 by Heisenberg

Few years ago now but flew with Virgin and it was fine. Stayed in the lovely named meat packing district in a not too expensive but nice hotel. All the sites are great but found a week enough. Eating out about the same in any major city, got fed up with all that tipping shite. Not my favourite city but glad I've been, probably once is enough as lots of other places would like to visit.

I know you shouldn't generalise but Yanks are generally very friendly and hospitable but a lot are full of shite and, shall we say, not the brightest.

You can’t do NYC once ffs and then say all that
Classic
It’s probably the greatest city in the world to visit regularly
Living there is a young mans game unless you have serious cash it’s like LONDON in the sense
The most important thing is don’t do what the tourists do as with all major cities
New York on 10:14 - Oct 9 with 654 viewsHeisenberg

New York on 09:46 - Oct 9 by saint22

Classic
Living there is a young mans game unless you have serious cash it’s like LONDON in the sense
The most important thing is don’t do what the tourists do as with all major cities

Say all what ? We are all entitled to an opinion and mine is I said I enjoyed it but felt didn't need to go back. There are other places to visit and given that I have limited resources would choose to go elsewhere in the future.

As for not doing the tourist stuff I agree but given that people often only have a short time the sites are worth visiting. I went up the Empire State, Central Park, 9 11 site, boat trip around the Statue of Liberty etc and enjoyed them and would recommend anyone with only a short time to do the same. Being a bit of an old hippy also liked Chelsea village and the old Dylan sites but they have become gentrified now so was a bit dissapointed. The Chelsea hotel was shut.

Each to there own.

“Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously'

New York on 11:11 - Oct 9 with 631 viewsthis_charming_man

New York on 09:46 - Oct 9 by saint22

Classic

But not in the summer, or the winter or for more than a day at a time, yes?

New York on 11:13 - Oct 9 with 629 viewskingslandstand1

All I know is that it' shot in the summer and fkng cold in the winter though people say it's best for atmosphere etc just before Xmas
New York on 12:47 - Oct 9 with 602 viewssaint22

New York on 10:14 - Oct 9 by Heisenberg

Say all what ? We are all entitled to an opinion and mine is I said I enjoyed it but felt didn't need to go back. There are other places to visit and given that I have limited resources would choose to go elsewhere in the future.

As for not doing the tourist stuff I agree but given that people often only have a short time the sites are worth visiting. I went up the Empire State, Central Park, 9 11 site, boat trip around the Statue of Liberty etc and enjoyed them and would recommend anyone with only a short time to do the same. Being a bit of an old hippy also liked Chelsea village and the old Dylan sites but they have become gentrified now so was a bit dissapointed. The Chelsea hotel was shut.

Each to there own.

you cant visit somewhere once and give an informed opinion, doing all the tourist spots you list hardly gives you the city
that's like coming to london doing oxford st buckingham palace and piccadilly circus and saying its not all that
New York on 12:59 - Oct 9 with 595 viewsMushty

New York on 10:14 - Oct 9 by Heisenberg

Each to there own.

We did it on a budget, walked everywhere, quite easy and the best way to do it around Manhattan. Only used the subway on a few occasions.

Go to Hudson's Yard and walk the Highline to Chelsea Village, take the Staten Island ferry for free for fantastic views of the Statue of Liberty and suck up the views looking back at Manhattan. And walk across the Brooklyn Bridge.

Go to the top of the Rockfeller for the best high-rise views across Central Park, the Boroughs and all the way down to the 911 area with the Empire State and all the other iconic buildings in between.
New York on 13:19 - Oct 9 with 584 viewsHeisenberg

New York on 12:47 - Oct 9 by saint22

you cant visit somewhere once and give an informed opinion, doing all the tourist spots you list hardly gives you the city
that's like coming to london doing oxford st buckingham palace and piccadilly circus and saying its not all that

My new book 'Venice in under an hour' is very informative. I'm still working on the follow up 'There and back in two days. A short weekend break in New York'. If successful I'm hoping to complete the trilogy with 'A long weekend in California. A guide for the big deal breakers'.

New York on 13:22 - Oct 9 with 581 viewssaint22

New York on 13:19 - Oct 9 by Heisenberg

My new book 'Venice in under an hour' is very informative. I'm still working on the follow up 'There and back in two days. A short weekend break in New York'. If successful I'm hoping to complete the trilogy with 'A long weekend in California. A guide for the big deal breakers'.

already written those but thanks
I look forward to your 'NYC in one go' tome
New York on 13:36 - Oct 9 with 572 viewsHeisenberg

New York on 13:22 - Oct 9 by saint22

already written those but thanks
I look forward to your 'NYC in one go' tome

What an arrogant little prick you are. Seems no one else's opinion of a short break to New York suffices.

New York on 13:39 - Oct 9 with 569 viewssaint22

New York on 13:36 - Oct 9 by Heisenberg

What an arrogant little prick you are. Seems no one else's opinion of a short break to New York suffices.

wow missing a sense of humour as well
New York on 13:46 - Oct 9 with 567 viewsHeisenberg

New York on 13:39 - Oct 9 by saint22

wow missing a sense of humour as well

I do apologise. Didn't realise it was an attempt at humour. You should see Joker. It's about a social misfit with an inability to communicate with anyone and his descent into madness. Now there's a film. Good to see to the art of movie making still exists.

New York on 13:51 - Oct 9 with 561 viewssaint22

New York on 13:46 - Oct 9 by Heisenberg

I do apologise. Didn't realise it was an attempt at humour. You should see Joker. It's about a social misfit with an inability to communicate with anyone and his descent into madness. Now there's a film. Good to see to the art of movie making still exists.

right up your street then

New York on 14:22 - Oct 9 with 549 viewsfranniesTache

I've always thought New York was a bit overrated, the food is pretty bad, the bars are f*cking awful and New Yorkers think they're something special when they're not.

There are some great art galleries and museums to be fair, and the obvious landmarks, grand union station, statue of liberty etc. are worth a look but i'd say 4-5 days is more than enough.

Personally far prefer Seattle and San Diego in the states if i had to make a choice.

New York on 15:47 - Oct 9 with 509 viewsVulcan_Saint

Our resident fantasist is now a publisher as well. You couldn’t make it up.

Spent 3 days nearly 20 years ago. I did mostly what other posters have done. Expect to walk a lot. I remember my feet were threaders after 3 days in trainers.

Should have walked a bit further into Central Park. I recall only making it to the bit with the cafe not far from Macy’s.

A few of them were cocky little sh1ts. At the time, the first iPod had been released, after 5 minutes of talking to the cawwfee drinking sales scrote I walked out.
New York on 15:52 - Oct 9 with 503 viewsthis_charming_man

New York on 14:22 - Oct 9 by franniesTache

I've always thought New York was a bit overrated, the food is pretty bad, the bars are f*cking awful and New Yorkers think they're something special when they're not.

There are some great art galleries and museums to be fair, and the obvious landmarks, grand union station, statue of liberty etc. are worth a look but i'd say 4-5 days is more than enough.

Personally far prefer Seattle and San Diego in the states if i had to make a choice.

I reckon there is a bloke on the Seattle sounders mongboard who is a fan of theirs but moved to New York and starts every other post with “as I live in New York......”

New York on 18:15 - Oct 9 with 460 viewsNYC_Saint

I haven’t flown BA in maybe ten years so can’t offer an opinion there. I usually fly with virgin and it’s very a comfortable trip although if you’re catching the red eye back (ie leave NY evening arrive very early London am) I find that journey exhausting no matter which carrier or class you’re in. The only caveat I’d throw out there is Virgin code share with Delta and you want to make sure it’s a Virgin flight not a delta flight - I’ve caught the delta code share before and it’s just very basic and attendants are super unfriendly.

Is it all that? I lived a long time now and continue to enjoy it. Depending on what it is you want to do (food, bars, sight seeing, culture etc) I’d be happy to make recommendations as I have had plenty of friends and family cost over the years and can offer some ideas on what they enjoyed.

Someone also mentioned the summer heat. It’s not terrible and everywhere’s air conditioned so there’s always somewhere to go and cool off when you’re walking round town. The subway trains are all AC too so it’s not like being stuck in the tube on a hot summers day in London.
New York on 22:37 - Oct 11 with 297 viewsGennaro_Contaldo

New York on 14:22 - Oct 9 by franniesTache

Agree. Chicago, Seattle, Portland - all better to visit. NYC is a definite "visit once, get the t shirt, no need to bother again" city. Same as Paris.

The UI; For the sophisticated gentleman
Poll: Where will Saints finish in the 2018/19 season

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2019