Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bantams to be gobbled up by voracious Super U's 22:13 - Jan 20 with 1183 viewsdurham_exile

JM and his charges entertain the Bantams on Tuesday evening at the JSCS. Not only is this a key game this season, but also it marks the start of some really challenging matches.

The next games for the Super U’s are Exeter A, Swindon H, Cambridge A, Plymouth H and Grimsby H.

I rate Bradford City highly in League Two. They are a big club with an excellent catchment area and attendances. Their results of late have been indifferent though and on Saturday they threw away a two-goal lead at home to Scunny. But they should not be underestimated with Gary Bowyer looking for automatic promotion this season.

Interestingly they have skipper and top scorer James Vaughan missing for two games following his 10th booking of the season on Saturday. However, they have the enigma who is Eoin Doyle back amongst their ranks following an exceptional loan spell at Swindon where he scored 23 goals in 22 appearances. Doyle has so far not recreated that excellent form and it is to be hoped that he has a quiet night in Colchester as well.

Perhaps the biggest threat to a Colchester victory is referee Trevor Kettle, who takes charge of his 22nd game of the season tomorrow and has so far dished out 80 yellow cards and 7 reds. He is the Mike Dean of League Two. I last saw him at the Lincoln City away game last season when we deservedly won 3-0 despite his best efforts.

Now JM has a choice of right full backs tomorrow. Ryan Jackson is potentially back following his red card at the Globe Arena, but I would rest him tomorrow and play the youngster Tafari Moore. We will need Jackson on Saturday at St James’s Park and let him approach that game fresh and raring to go.

Hopefully Ben Stevenson will be fit but if not Brandon Comley (most improved player of the season) is an able deputy. Junior sadly has been struck down by influenza.

I reckon JM is therefore unlikely to change the line up and so will go for the following:

Gerken

Moore Eastman Prosser Clampin

Pell Stevenson

Harriott Poku Nouble

Robinson

Subs:

Ross Norris Gambin Comley Lapslie Sowunmi Jackson

Tuesday night also sees Orient at home to Northampton and Macclesfield at home to Crewe so two key games which will have an impact upon the top of the table. Three home wins tomorrow will do very nicely.

Table - top:

Swindon 28 53
Exeter 27 53
Crewe 26 47
Plymouth 26 47
Bradford 27 45
Northampton 27 45
Cheltenham 27 44
COL U 27 44
FGR 28 44

The weather in Colchester tomorrow will be dry and a cool three degrees Celsius.

A decent crowd is expected, and the Bantams will bring a good number to the JSCS. I am going for a 3-1 Super U’s victory.

No word on any further signings from the Board yet but JM has hinted at a striker and a replacement for Jevani Panenka Brown.

Enjoy the game.

Up the U’s

Durham_exile

Bantams to be gobbled up by voracious Super U's on 06:26 - Jan 21 with 698 viewsGOSBTS

Great preview Durham and I’m very excited for this game. I reckon your line up to be pretty spot on, especially as McGreal rarely likes to change a winning side. I’d only maybe put Jackson in (if fit) as I see this as more winnable than Saturday.

I wonder how many Bradford will bring and if they’ll have the North Stand?

Up the U’s!
Bantams to be gobbled up by voracious Super U's on 09:25 - Jan 21 with 679 viewsdurham_exile

Bantams to be gobbled up by voracious Super U's on 06:26 - Jan 21 by GOSBTS

Great preview Durham and I’m very excited for this game. I reckon your line up to be pretty spot on, especially as McGreal rarely likes to change a winning side. I’d only maybe put Jackson in (if fit) as I see this as more winnable than Saturday.

I wonder how many Bradford will bring and if they’ll have the North Stand?

Up the U’s!

GOSBTS I reckon it could be a classic game.

I also note that Junior and Senior could be back tonight although neither will start.

Regarding Bradford numbers given their attendances are around the 14,000 mark I think had the game been played on the Saturday then 1,000 would have been the number.

However perhaps 600 for a Tuesday night.

Enjoy the game.

UTU's

Durham_exile

Bantams to be gobbled up by voracious Super U's on 12:31 - Jan 21 with 657 viewsnoah4x4

Some statistics based on analysis that I did when a Head of Marketing in sports sponsorship (but using current data)....

Bradford has a population of 537,173 and is the 6th most populous UK City. Colchester population merely 192,000.

Bradford gate 2019-20 typically 14,000 = 2.6% of population.
Colchester gate average 3,623 = 1.9% of population.

I discovered (somewhat predictably!) there is a distinct correlation between population and attendances. Anything better than 2% of local population is outstanding for a League Two club. This perhaps suggests why Colchester United is unlikely to ever average more than 3,840 (2%) whilst in Division Two.

But.....

Bradford, like Carlisle, has a strong (in exile) London centric fan base, ensuring a surprising number of irregulars may attend tonight. By contrast.....

London and Suffolk clubs have a strong (in exile) Colchester resident fan base. Most Colchester resident football fans tend to support teams other than their local club.

Where this is notably relevant is Financial Fair Play (which is unfair). Clubs are not permitted to spend more than an agreed percentage of revenue. It is of no surprise to me that the League tables are progressively stacking up in order of revenue. On paper, Bradford should have a budget suffice to attract a team to beat the U's. But we seem to be punching above our revenue weight.

My prediction, crowd 3,500 (600 away) and a 1 -0 home win in a dour battle.
[Post edited 21 Jan 2020 12:32]
Bantams to be gobbled up by voracious Super U's on 14:22 - Jan 21 with 628 viewswessex_exile

Bantams to be gobbled up by voracious Super U's on 12:31 - Jan 21 by noah4x4

Some statistics based on analysis that I did when a Head of Marketing in sports sponsorship (but using current data)....

Bradford has a population of 537,173 and is the 6th most populous UK City. Colchester population merely 192,000.

Bradford gate 2019-20 typically 14,000 = 2.6% of population.
Colchester gate average 3,623 = 1.9% of population.

I discovered (somewhat predictably!) there is a distinct correlation between population and attendances. Anything better than 2% of local population is outstanding for a League Two club. This perhaps suggests why Colchester United is unlikely to ever average more than 3,840 (2%) whilst in Division Two.

But.....

Bradford, like Carlisle, has a strong (in exile) London centric fan base, ensuring a surprising number of irregulars may attend tonight. By contrast.....

London and Suffolk clubs have a strong (in exile) Colchester resident fan base. Most Colchester resident football fans tend to support teams other than their local club.

Where this is notably relevant is Financial Fair Play (which is unfair). Clubs are not permitted to spend more than an agreed percentage of revenue. It is of no surprise to me that the League tables are progressively stacking up in order of revenue. On paper, Bradford should have a budget suffice to attract a team to beat the U's. But we seem to be punching above our revenue weight.

My prediction, crowd 3,500 (600 away) and a 1 -0 home win in a dour battle.
[Post edited 21 Jan 2020 12:32]

There is a very significant additional factor - whilst without a doubt Bradford have the fanbase, selling season tickets dirt cheap certainly helps pack out the ground regularly. Whether it is a sustainable business model is another matter...

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #23

Bantams to be gobbled up by voracious Super U's on 19:11 - Jan 21 with 587 viewswessex_exile

Team announced:
1 Gerken
2 Jackson
18 Eastman
5 Prosser
21 Clampin
8 Pell
14 Comley
15 Harriott
49 Poku
45 Nouble
13 Robinson

Substitutes
4 Lapslie
6 Sowunmi
7 Senior
9 Norris
24 Stevenson
26 Gambin
29 Ross

Jackson returns, Moore not on bench, nor Junior, but Senior is back.

Up the U's

Bantams to be gobbled up by voracious Super U's on 19:25 - Jan 21 with 580 viewsLeadbelly

Bantams to be gobbled up by voracious Super U's on 14:22 - Jan 21 by wessex_exile

There is a very significant additional factor - whilst without a doubt Bradford have the fanbase, selling season tickets dirt cheap certainly helps pack out the ground regularly. Whether it is a sustainable business model is another matter...

They also suffer from having illustrious neighbours!

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Bantams to be gobbled up by voracious Super U's on 19:27 - Jan 21 with 578 viewsdurham_exile

Bantams to be gobbled up by voracious Super U's on 19:11 - Jan 21 by wessex_exile

Team announced:
1 Gerken
2 Jackson
18 Eastman
5 Prosser
21 Clampin
8 Pell
14 Comley
15 Harriott
49 Poku
45 Nouble
13 Robinson

Substitutes
4 Lapslie
6 Sowunmi
7 Senior
9 Norris
24 Stevenson
26 Gambin
29 Ross

Jackson returns, Moore not on bench, nor Junior, but Senior is back.

Don't have a problem with starting XI disappointed for Moore who could have been on the bench.

Junior might be fit for Saturday.

UTU's

Durham_exile

Bantams to be gobbled up by voracious Super U's on 19:27 - Jan 21 with 578 viewswessex_exile

Bantams to be gobbled up by voracious Super U's on 19:25 - Jan 21 by Leadbelly

They also suffer from having illustrious neighbours!

Haha - good point chap

Up the U's

Login to get fewer ads

Bantams to be gobbled up by voracious Super U's on 19:28 - Jan 21 with 577 viewsLeadbelly

Won’t be there tonight but would be interested to know whether they let cars exit the car park via Boxted Rd, as they did on Saturday. Thought the planning permitted buses and emergency vehicles only.

Bantams to be gobbled up by voracious Super U's on 19:38 - Jan 21 with 571 viewsnoah4x4

Ten minutes to KO. Crowd numbers looking poor. West and East Stands very sparsely populated. Perhaps 150 from Bradford.

My guess is 2,700.
Bantams to be gobbled up by voracious Super U's on 20:32 - Jan 21 with 552 viewsdurham_exile

Bantams to be gobbled up by voracious Super U's on 19:27 - Jan 21 by wessex_exile

Haha - good point chap

Huddersfield Town

Durham_exile

Bantams to be gobbled up by voracious Super U's on 20:34 - Jan 21 with 550 viewsdurham_exile

Bantams to be gobbled up by voracious Super U's on 20:32 - Jan 21 by durham_exile

Huddersfield Town

Only Macclesfield have read the script but it was a bizarre own goal just before half time.

The Cobblers have taken the lead at Orient.

Can we restore the balance and score a goal or two big second half coming up

UTU's

Durham_exile

Bantams to be gobbled up by voracious Super U's on 20:36 - Jan 21 with 549 viewsLeadbelly

Bantams to be gobbled up by voracious Super U's on 20:32 - Jan 21 by durham_exile

Huddersfield Town

Wrong, obviously, but still made me smile!

Bantams to be gobbled up by voracious Super U's on 20:37 - Jan 21 with 548 viewswessex_exile

Bantams to be gobbled up by voracious Super U's on 20:34 - Jan 21 by durham_exile

Only Macclesfield have read the script but it was a bizarre own goal just before half time.

The Cobblers have taken the lead at Orient.

Can we restore the balance and score a goal or two big second half coming up

UTU's

Good game so far - nice passing game from the U's, without creating too many clear cut chances, but Bradford always carrying a threat. Bit worried about both Prosser and Clampin down our left side, both a bit too error-prone at the moment.

Up the U's

Bantams to be gobbled up by voracious Super U's on 20:48 - Jan 21 with 541 viewsLeadbelly

Bantams to be gobbled up by voracious Super U's on 20:37 - Jan 21 by wessex_exile

Good game so far - nice passing game from the U's, without creating too many clear cut chances, but Bradford always carrying a threat. Bit worried about both Prosser and Clampin down our left side, both a bit too error-prone at the moment.

Think we started well but It sounds like Bradford improved as the half progressed.

Bantams to be gobbled up by voracious Super U's on 21:07 - Jan 21 with 532 viewsdurham_exile

Bantams to be gobbled up by voracious Super U's on 20:36 - Jan 21 by Leadbelly

Wrong, obviously, but still made me smile!

LB I deliberately wrote The Terriers (despite knowing your allegiance) because they dislike the Bantams or the Chickens as they call them.

Up the U's

Three points needed tonight because according to Miss Westwood for Sky Colchester have dominated.

Durham_exile

Bantams to be gobbled up by voracious Super U's on 21:13 - Jan 21 with 529 viewsdurham_exile

Bantams to be gobbled up by voracious Super U's on 21:07 - Jan 21 by durham_exile

LB I deliberately wrote The Terriers (despite knowing your allegiance) because they dislike the Bantams or the Chickens as they call them.

Up the U's

Three points needed tonight because according to Miss Westwood for Sky Colchester have dominated.

Luke Prosser has just missed from 6 yards following a corner.

UTU's

Durham_exile

Bantams to be gobbled up by voracious Super U's on 21:18 - Jan 21 with 527 viewsdurham_exile

Bantams to be gobbled up by voracious Super U's on 21:13 - Jan 21 by durham_exile

Luke Prosser has just missed from 6 yards following a corner.

UTU's

Big Frank replaced by Senior just after HT because of injury.

Come on we need this

Durham_exile

Bantams to be gobbled up by voracious Super U's on 21:20 - Jan 21 with 526 viewsdurham_exile

Bantams to be gobbled up by voracious Super U's on 19:38 - Jan 21 by noah4x4

Ten minutes to KO. Crowd numbers looking poor. West and East Stands very sparsely populated. Perhaps 150 from Bradford.

My guess is 2,700.

Attendance 3,022

Clearly not many Bantams made the trip from West Yorkshire only 266.
[Post edited 21 Jan 2020 21:48]

Durham_exile

Bantams to be gobbled up by voracious Super U's on 21:40 - Jan 21 with 522 viewsdurham_exile

Bantams to be gobbled up by voracious Super U's on 21:20 - Jan 21 by durham_exile

Attendance 3,022

Clearly not many Bantams made the trip from West Yorkshire only 266.
[Post edited 21 Jan 2020 21:48]

0-0

Two more points dropped

UTU's

Durham_exile

Bantams to be gobbled up by voracious Super U's on 21:41 - Jan 21 with 521 viewsgerry_us

A totally predictable result.
Bantams to be gobbled up by voracious Super U's on 21:45 - Jan 21 with 519 viewswessex_exile

Bantams to be gobbled up by voracious Super U's on 21:40 - Jan 21 by durham_exile

0-0

Two more points dropped

UTU's

...is a glass half-empty view. I watched an entertaining game that we deserved to win, but could have easily lost against a very good team. Obviously 3pts would have been a better return, but I'm buoyed by our performance. Gives me hope for Saturday at Exeter.

Up the U's

Bantams to be gobbled up by voracious Super U's on 21:51 - Jan 21 with 509 viewsdurham_exile

Bantams to be gobbled up by voracious Super U's on 21:45 - Jan 21 by wessex_exile

...is a glass half-empty view. I watched an entertaining game that we deserved to win, but could have easily lost against a very good team. Obviously 3pts would have been a better return, but I'm buoyed by our performance. Gives me hope for Saturday at Exeter.

Exeter and Swindon games are must not lose games.

I do hope Junior is fit for both games.

UTU's

Durham_exile

Bantams to be gobbled up by voracious Super U's on 21:51 - Jan 21 with 508 viewsnoah4x4

Agree Wessex. Doyle was unlucky when a shot on target hit Eastmans inner thigh and somewhat fortuitously went out of play, plus they hit bar. We had enough chances to win this, but as usual wasteful in front of goal

Pell outstanding. Poku, Senior and Harriott all the tricks, but no end product. Robinson has zero service. Did Norris touch the ball?

I think a point each fair.
Bantams to be gobbled up by voracious Super U's on 22:05 - Jan 21 with 495 viewsMadeira163

Happy with that
£10 well spent enjoyable game , felt we should have won but enjoyed and buoyed by what I saw
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024