Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Long... 10:58 - Jan 23 with 1196 viewsSonicBoom

I can't be arsed to do a poll thing, but what do people think.
I've seen a lot of fans suddenly demanding we give him another 2 year contract immediately and putting Ings form down to all the work Long does.

Personally I'd let him go. I agree he does cause problems. I agree he is hard to play against. I agree he works for the team.
But for me he costs us more points than he gains us. I've never seen anyone at this level so clueless in front of goal - and those goals would turn draws to wins and loses to draws.
Even Saturday he had the simplest of chances right in front of goal and side footed straight at the keeper. And missed a header at the back post - as he did away at Leicester.

I don't have an agenda and all strikers miss chances but he needs ten chances to score a goal and he misses so many relatively simple chances.
Overall he's been a good signing and we've had our money's worth I guess, but at his age now I think we need to thank him and move on.
He does seem to split opinion though. So ....in the summer, keep him or let him go?
Long... on 11:02 - Jan 23 with 1191 viewsGennaro_Contaldo

I like his attitude generally, he's a positive influence and a good role model. For that, he should be able to retire with Saints.

On a lower wage and probably playing less, but he's got 'coach' written all over him in my opinion and the club should keep him.

The UI; For the sophisticated gentleman
Poll: Where will Saints finish in the 2018/19 season

Long... on 11:04 - Jan 23 with 1186 viewsthis_charming_man

For the wages he's on no way, needs to take a pay cut. Hes 33 now so cant see any other premier league team wanting him.

His game is all around pace and work rate so that is going to start dropping off soon due to his age, but he's a good influence around the dressing room, been here a long time and is a good foil for Ings.

I'd not be too fussed if he stays or goes to be honest.

TUIs only reliable source of ITk news. #bewareoffalseprophets
Poll: Who hates the tories the most?

Long... on 12:31 - Jan 23 with 1144 viewsVeloSaint

Depends on the deal he wants but surely replacing Long with a younger player with similar characteristics is not that difficult and infinitely easier then replacing Ings.
Long... on 12:34 - Jan 23 with 1143 viewsChesham_Saint

Long... on 11:02 - Jan 23 by Gennaro_Contaldo

I like his attitude generally, he's a positive influence and a good role model. For that, he should be able to retire with Saints.

On a lower wage and probably playing less, but he's got 'coach' written all over him in my opinion and the club should keep him.

I agree. He can’t hit A barn door sometimes, but he sets a great example with his behaviour on the pitch generally, both in terms of effort and respecting other payers when injured etc.

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

Long... on 12:49 - Jan 23 with 1130 viewsSaintNick

Long... on 12:34 - Jan 23 by Chesham_Saint

I agree. He can’t hit A barn door sometimes, but he sets a great example with his behaviour on the pitch generally, both in terms of effort and respecting other payers when injured etc.

Shane Long has been a great servant for the club, perhaps not the greatest finishers, but does a lot of work in keeping the ball in the final third of the field, he doesn't get much credit as he is not often the man who assists but the man who gets the ball to the man who assists and that is just as vital.

84 starts plus 78 as sub and 26 goals in the Premier League is a good record which equates to 7 goals a season which isnt bad for a striker who doesn't start regularly these days

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Long... on 13:04 - Jan 23 with 1111 viewsI_would

Don't bother internalising Long is the worst 'striker' that's ever played in the Premiership and is a liability on the pitch. Can't control the ball, gives hospital passes, can miss a shot an inch from the line. If we get offered 2p for him take it. What is even more worrying is RH favouritising him and calling him 'Longy.'

RH will play him every time possible and he will get an extended contract.

Poll: How many players should RH play at the back on Saturday?

Long... on 13:35 - Jan 23 with 1099 viewsKennington

As always, the question is, can we find someone better? I’d hope that after how ever many years in the premier league we could. But Long has been excellent over the last couple of months and actually playing as well as under Koeman and for that reason I’d give him a one year deal to add squad depth. After the one further season that really has to be that, as let’s not forget the barren runs of no goals in about 25 odd appearances that he’s prone to.

Poll: What age is too old for a striker?

Long... on 20:09 - Jan 23 with 1034 viewsdarthvader

I love him. I'd like to keep him his work rate and ability to be a pain in the defenders aris. Him and Ings are good together high press and I think Adams will learn from him. Plus that goal at Liverpool ....

keep the faith coyr

Login to get fewer ads

Long... on 20:18 - Jan 23 with 1023 viewsI_would

Long... on 20:09 - Jan 23 by darthvader

I love him. I'd like to keep him his work rate and ability to be a pain in the defenders aris. Him and Ings are good together high press and I think Adams will learn from him. Plus that goal at Liverpool ....

Adams can learn how to trip over, be offside at all times, miscontrol every touch and miss all chances for two years except one.

Poll: How many players should RH play at the back on Saturday?

Long... on 20:27 - Jan 23 with 1008 viewssaint68

Been a great addition to the club and a monumental headache for most defenders since his arrival..and the fastest goal in a premiership game ever !!!

Fantastic attitude and an all round nice guy, another year would be deserved in my opinion.

Poll: Who would you want to save this season Pellegrino or Adkins

Long... on 21:54 - Jan 23 with 952 viewsChesham_Saint

Long... on 20:27 - Jan 23 by saint68

Been a great addition to the club and a monumental headache for most defenders since his arrival..and the fastest goal in a premiership game ever !!!

Fantastic attitude and an all round nice guy, another year would be deserved in my opinion.

Great points 68. Lets not forget SFC invest in and massively rely on our youth programme and even though Long can be useless sometimes, he is a great example of sportsmanship and honest endeavour. Try buying THAT on the open market these days.

It I still hate his My Way song though!

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

Long... on 22:17 - Jan 23 with 943 viewsthis_charming_man

Long... on 12:49 - Jan 23 by SaintNick

Shane Long has been a great servant for the club, perhaps not the greatest finishers, but does a lot of work in keeping the ball in the final third of the field, he doesn't get much credit as he is not often the man who assists but the man who gets the ball to the man who assists and that is just as vital.

84 starts plus 78 as sub and 26 goals in the Premier League is a good record which equates to 7 goals a season which isnt bad for a striker who doesn't start regularly these days

Was a lot of money when we signed him And a very unsaints like signing but in hindsight has been a decent servant, not the greatest player but really valuable Sqaud player and a great option.

TUIs only reliable source of ITk news. #bewareoffalseprophets
Poll: Who hates the tories the most?

Long... on 23:07 - Jan 23 with 911 viewsPatfromPoole

+1.

He’s my favourite player. Love him.

Poll: If we win a play-off semi at St. Mary’s should there be a pitch invasion?

Long... on 23:11 - Jan 23 with 909 viewswashington_saint

Not the greatest player (to put it mildly!) but been a really good servant to the club. He's given it his all every game he has played and seems to be an extremely positive influence on and off the pitch.

Overall he has been a much better buy than many of our recent acquisitions (Carillo, Vestegaard, Hoedt, Lemina, Elyounoussi, etc). With him being 33 I don't think another contract should be on the cards but he should be given a good send off for his service.

One of those players that won;t be remembered for his goalscoring exploits but helped the team enormously with his workrate.
Long... on 07:04 - Jan 24 with 827 viewsTheMoog

And that goal at Anfield

Standby to standby

Long... on 07:17 - Jan 24 with 821 viewsBuenosSaint

Poll done my friend. Hope options sufficient.

Poll: The Long Future

Long... on 07:22 - Jan 24 with 814 viewssaint22

He also out jumps most defenders and wins countless headers which otherwise we dont seem to do much of up front
Long... on 08:52 - Jan 24 with 762 viewsMarcus_y

What I would call a stats player. He does not score and costs us a lot of chances but I bet if someone had full stats on all he does, we would find his creation of space for others and assists and assist assists would far outweigh what he misses.

You're nothing but a lot of talk n'a' badge.

Long... on 08:53 - Jan 24 with 762 viewsericofarabia

Long... on 07:22 - Jan 24 by saint22

He also out jumps most defenders and wins countless headers which otherwise we dont seem to do much of up front

Without him in the team I reckon McCarthy's punts upfield from back passes have a 0% rate of us retaining control!!
I would love him to be signed up for 1 more season, but would imagine he'd be looking for a Fonte type longer deal and could end up at one of the promoted teams in the summer.

Genuine nice guy, never puts less than 100% effort, always chases lost causes, and always the 1st to acknowledge the away support but not in a cringy Prutton/Skachel way but sincerely. In just about every pic I've seen with his family he has his kids in Saints shirts as well, and genuinely seems to love the club. If only he could scored more often ... but at least he gets in the positions to miss in the first place
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024