Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Manager Interviews: Steve Eyre 10:15 - Feb 19 with 5060 viewsRochdaleAFC.com

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/rochdale/news/52007/manager-interviews-st

The latest of Fitzo's trips down managerial memory lane... although not sure any of us needed reminding of Neal Trotman!

If you want to remove this post from the board index, just click the hide post icon below. To hide all our news posts click the ignore user icon under the avatar.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Manager Interviews: Steve Eyre on 10:36 - Feb 19 with 3396 viewsTVOS1907

Hmm...

Very interesting, but a few things.

We had already 'lost' Craig Dawson as he had been on loan from WBA for the 2010/11 season, so surely that fact came up at interview.

Gary Jones wasn't 35.

We weren't 2-0 down to Huddersfield.

Who was 'lovecity'?
[Post edited 19 Feb 2020 12:19]

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Manager Interviews: Steve Eyre on 12:02 - Feb 19 with 3281 viewsfitzochris

Manager Interviews: Steve Eyre on 10:36 - Feb 19 by TVOS1907

Hmm...

Very interesting, but a few things.

We had already 'lost' Craig Dawson as he had been on loan from WBA for the 2010/11 season, so surely that fact came up at interview.

Gary Jones wasn't 35.

We weren't 2-0 down to Huddersfield.

Who was 'lovecity'?
[Post edited 19 Feb 2020 12:19]

Again, I can only report what the man said.

Remaining impartial as a supporter during these interviews was always a challenge.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Manager Interviews: Steve Eyre on 12:12 - Feb 19 with 3246 viewsFred_Talbot

Roland Bergkamp

Where's Fred?

Manager Interviews: Steve Eyre on 12:18 - Feb 19 with 3226 viewskiwidale

Manager Interviews: Steve Eyre on 12:02 - Feb 19 by fitzochris

Again, I can only report what the man said.

Remaining impartial as a supporter during these interviews was always a challenge.

Cheers again for posting what is becoming a great feature. The part that intrigues me is the reference to someone already at the club wanted the job my initial thought was Chris Beech then on second thoughts Gary Jones would it be imprudent to ask your thoughts.

This is not the time for bickering.

Manager Interviews: Steve Eyre on 12:19 - Feb 19 with 3218 viewsfitzochris

Manager Interviews: Steve Eyre on 12:18 - Feb 19 by kiwidale

Cheers again for posting what is becoming a great feature. The part that intrigues me is the reference to someone already at the club wanted the job my initial thought was Chris Beech then on second thoughts Gary Jones would it be imprudent to ask your thoughts.

Sadly, it would, and, as I said to SE at the time, revealing such information could be deemed defamatory.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Manager Interviews: Steve Eyre on 12:32 - Feb 19 with 3176 viewskiwidale

Manager Interviews: Steve Eyre on 12:19 - Feb 19 by fitzochris

Sadly, it would, and, as I said to SE at the time, revealing such information could be deemed defamatory.

I fully understand and it speaks volumes about your integrity. Steve Eyre makes a very good defense about his short tenure and one Im willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, the other thing that sticks out in the interview is that when Hill left for Barnsley he scuppered the ship leaving an inexperienced manager floundering.

Manager Interviews: Steve Eyre on 12:42 - Feb 19 with 3143 viewsjudd

Manager Interviews: Steve Eyre on 12:32 - Feb 19 by kiwidale

I fully understand and it speaks volumes about your integrity. Steve Eyre makes a very good defense about his short tenure and one Im willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, the other thing that sticks out in the interview is that when Hill left for Barnsley he scuppered the ship leaving an inexperienced manager floundering.

Almost scuppered it - he couldn't tempt Jack the Kitman away, could he?

Poll: What is it to be then?

Manager Interviews: Steve Eyre on 12:44 - Feb 19 with 3136 viewskiwidale

Manager Interviews: Steve Eyre on 12:42 - Feb 19 by judd

Almost scuppered it - he couldn't tempt Jack the Kitman away, could he?

You're not suggesting that Jack wanted the Job.

Login to get fewer ads

Manager Interviews: Steve Eyre on 12:50 - Feb 19 with 3111 viewsjudd

Manager Interviews: Steve Eyre on 12:44 - Feb 19 by kiwidale

To the contrary...

Poll: What is it to be then?

Manager Interviews: Steve Eyre on 12:56 - Feb 19 with 3089 viewsD_Alien

Manager Interviews: Steve Eyre on 12:44 - Feb 19 by kiwidale

Looking at that picture of Eyre in the article, it'd have been a blow

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Manager Interviews: Steve Eyre on 13:08 - Feb 19 with 3043 viewsupthedale

Manager Interviews: Steve Eyre on 12:32 - Feb 19 by kiwidale

Really interesting read; I have to admit I (pettily) almost didn't read it as I wasn't sure how it would come across.

I can't recall how the news was taken by most fans when he was actually appointed (obviously most thought it was retrospectively the wrong call as we sat in the relegation zone), but I do remember arguing with a few Dale fans that I thought Dunphy had done the right thing...

Has anyone ever seen him at games as a fan? Out of interest.

The interview did remind me of the "Who needs Chris O'Grady when we've got Ashley Grimes" chant
Manager Interviews: Steve Eyre on 13:09 - Feb 19 with 3041 viewskiwidale

Manager Interviews: Steve Eyre on 12:56 - Feb 19 by D_Alien

Looking at that picture of Eyre in the article, it'd have been a blow

That picture sums up Eyre's tenure, what successful manager wears a pullover he might as well have gone the whole hog and worn a cardigan.

Manager Interviews: Steve Eyre on 13:27 - Feb 19 with 2998 viewsdeeplishblue

I thought that SE was a bit unlucky with results especially at home.

I recall several times where we dominated for long spells in the first half of games without getting just reward. This was usually followed by a nervous performance in the second half of games usually losing by the odd goal.

Much rather have SE in a second spell rather than Coleman.

Poll: Do you want bury to get promoted?

Manager Interviews: Steve Eyre on 13:38 - Feb 19 with 2970 viewsAtThePeake

Manager Interviews: Steve Eyre on 13:08 - Feb 19 by upthedale

Really interesting read; I have to admit I (pettily) almost didn't read it as I wasn't sure how it would come across.

I can't recall how the news was taken by most fans when he was actually appointed (obviously most thought it was retrospectively the wrong call as we sat in the relegation zone), but I do remember arguing with a few Dale fans that I thought Dunphy had done the right thing...

Has anyone ever seen him at games as a fan? Out of interest.

The interview did remind me of the "Who needs Chris O'Grady when we've got Ashley Grimes" chant

I think most of his visits back have been with Radio Bolton rather than as a spectator.

Tangled up in blue.

Manager Interviews: Steve Eyre on 13:48 - Feb 19 with 2938 viewsTVOS1907

Manager Interviews: Steve Eyre on 13:27 - Feb 19 by deeplishblue

I thought that SE was a bit unlucky with results especially at home.

I recall several times where we dominated for long spells in the first half of games without getting just reward. This was usually followed by a nervous performance in the second half of games usually losing by the odd goal.

Much rather have SE in a second spell rather than Coleman.

As I recall, we were usually losing after about 20 minutes!

Chesterfield (LC), 0-1 after 11 mins
Huddersfield, 0-1 after 15 mins
Hartlepool, 0-1 after 7 mins
Charlton, 0-1 after 20 mins
Wycombe, 0-1 after 6 mins
Colchester, 0-1 after 3 mins
Leyton Orient, 0-1 after 12 mins
Brentford, 0-1 after 11 mins

That only leaves Carlisle, Scunthorpe, Chesterfield, Preston (JPT) and Yeovil where we didn't fall behind before twenty-past-three (or five-past-eight) and we only won one of those!
[Post edited 19 Feb 2020 13:49]

Manager Interviews: Steve Eyre on 14:34 - Feb 19 with 2872 viewsmidlandsdale

Manager Interviews: Steve Eyre on 13:48 - Feb 19 by TVOS1907

As I recall, we were usually losing after about 20 minutes!

Chesterfield (LC), 0-1 after 11 mins
Huddersfield, 0-1 after 15 mins
Hartlepool, 0-1 after 7 mins
Charlton, 0-1 after 20 mins
Wycombe, 0-1 after 6 mins
Colchester, 0-1 after 3 mins
Leyton Orient, 0-1 after 12 mins
Brentford, 0-1 after 11 mins

That only leaves Carlisle, Scunthorpe, Chesterfield, Preston (JPT) and Yeovil where we didn't fall behind before twenty-past-three (or five-past-eight) and we only won one of those!
[Post edited 19 Feb 2020 13:49]

My memory certainly isnt what it was but I am fairly certain we played at Stevenage and I watched us get trolloped 3-0 or something similar?
Manager Interviews: Steve Eyre on 14:46 - Feb 19 with 2837 viewsSaxonDale

Manager Interviews: Steve Eyre on 14:34 - Feb 19 by midlandsdale

My memory certainly isnt what it was but I am fairly certain we played at Stevenage and I watched us get trolloped 3-0 or something similar?

Think that was under Beech.

As for Eyre- the worst manager we've ever had. I think time has probably been kind for him as we almost forget how abject performances were, how out of their depth signings were and just how many mistakes he made. With the exception of Benali (who was nowhere near ready at the time) I don't think any/many players signed went onto play at a higher level at any point of their careers.
Manager Interviews: Steve Eyre on 15:01 - Feb 19 with 2782 viewsTVOS1907

Manager Interviews: Steve Eyre on 14:34 - Feb 19 by midlandsdale

We lost 4-2 at Stevenage.

It was 1-0 after 13 minutes (a familiar theme), Gary Jones equalised, but it was 3-1 at half-time.

Trotman (og) made it 4-1, before David Ball scored our second.

Manager Interviews: Steve Eyre on 15:03 - Feb 19 with 2773 viewsTVOS1907

Manager Interviews: Steve Eyre on 14:46 - Feb 19 by SaxonDale

Think that was under Beech.

As for Eyre- the worst manager we've ever had. I think time has probably been kind for him as we almost forget how abject performances were, how out of their depth signings were and just how many mistakes he made. With the exception of Benali (who was nowhere near ready at the time) I don't think any/many players signed went onto play at a higher level at any point of their careers.

The Stevenage game under Beech was at home.

It was actually only 0-1 at half-time, before things went pear-shaped after the break.

The way things are looking, it will be a while before we play them again in the Football League.

Manager Interviews: Steve Eyre on 15:39 - Feb 19 with 2687 viewsShun

Manager Interviews: Steve Eyre on 15:03 - Feb 19 by TVOS1907

The Stevenage game under Beech was at home.

It was actually only 0-1 at half-time, before things went pear-shaped after the break.

The way things are looking, it will be a while before we play them again in the Football League.

5-1 at home. I thought things couldn’t get much worse after that, but then we went up to Hartlepool (the next match I think) and lost in I think the worst Dale performance I’ve ever seen.
Manager Interviews: Steve Eyre on 15:41 - Feb 19 with 2681 viewsAtThePeake

Manager Interviews: Steve Eyre on 15:39 - Feb 19 by Shun

5-1 at home. I thought things couldn’t get much worse after that, but then we went up to Hartlepool (the next match I think) and lost in I think the worst Dale performance I’ve ever seen.

Yeah, that one at Hartlepool really stands out for me also. Every single player looked completely devoid of confidence and ideas that day. Luke James scored a stunning goal for them.

Tangled up in blue.

Manager Interviews: Steve Eyre on 15:58 - Feb 19 with 2633 viewsscarrow

Unfortunately despite all the 'problems' he was inept as a manager

Poll: Final position

Manager Interviews: Steve Eyre on 16:18 - Feb 19 with 2595 viewsTVOS1907

Hartlepool was the week before Stevenage.

Manager Interviews: Steve Eyre on 17:10 - Feb 19 with 2486 viewsfermin

I can't remember much about the Hartlepool game but, although I am not certain about the details, the Stevenage game sticks in my mind for cluelessness. I have a memory of bizarre substitutions and formations and a comical goal when they beat our offside trap because we had hardly any defenders in the right place due to the weird formation. https://www.thecomet.net/stevenage-fc/report-rochdale-1-stevenage-5-1-1177723
Manager Interviews: Steve Eyre on 17:18 - Feb 19 with 2463 viewsjudd

Academy Manager history

Manager

From

To

Honours

Scotland Neil McNab 1994 1997
England Jim Cassell 1997 2009 2008 Youth Cup
England Steve Eyre 2009 2011
England Adam Sadler 2011 2013
England Jason Wilcox 2013 2016 2015—16 Professional U18 Development League
Republic of Ireland Lee Carsley 2016 2017