Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Chapel End next season 16:01 - Feb 19 with 5647 viewsBar_Brother

A lot of fans will hate this proposal but I am utterly convinced that we need to make the Chapel end our main singing stand next season. I hope the club will rethink before announcing season tickets etc- I think there is a stronger case now than ever before to create our own Kop like end. The Northam and Itchen corner now serve no benefit to the team. Fans moan about the other stands and lack of atmosphere but let’s be honest that is not going to change/ for a number of reasons (demographics & average age of fan being one of them)
I also appreciate many fans detest the idea of a choreographed end with flags and people bouncing up and down in some euro style frenzy- but times have changed. St Mary’s is becoming increasingly depressing for our supporters- I personally don’t agree it’s because the team have been poor at home- we had better support in the championship the season we were relegated.
Sitting next to the away fans now is becoming embarrassing and quite honestly most away followings out sing us. Neutrals watching us on TV could be forgiven for not even realising there were fans who sing in the Northam. How much better would it look if we had a vociferous Chapel End- (what a great name for a home end!)Villa fans create a lot of noise from the Holte end as do palace and Liverpool- the other advantage is the noise from the Chapel would transmit across to the team and would be heard loud and clear by the away fans. Austin made some valid points- I really hope the club take a look at this and do something pro active for a change. From the supporters side there also has to be the will to make a change- what have we got to lose?
Chapel End next season on 16:16 - Feb 19 with 3798 viewsthis_charming_man

How do you feel about moving the away fans into the corner?

TUIs only reliable source of ITk news. #bewareoffalseprophets
Poll: Who hates the tories the most?

Chapel End next season on 17:02 - Feb 19 with 3767 viewsgrumpy

To be honest as much as I would love to see the Northam End as a Saints only end I cant see the away fans being relocated.
The Chapel End is the only alternative.
I would like to see some representation from the fans to the Club on this subject.
I would happy to be part of it if it happens.
Singing from the Corners is not working,its our ground we should have a whole end not the corners, as happens when a big away support arrives.
Saints fans can be as vocal as any other and I have supported them long enough to know that.
Chapel End next season on 17:20 - Feb 19 with 3745 viewsfranniesTache

I really don't understand this obsession with a "kop". We already have a "kop" it's the Chapel, no one goes to it, those that do go to it don't want to sing (or stand).

People talk about a wall of red and white, well we have that wall already, the chapel is full of people in replica shirts. They don't sing and it's not intimidating, it's just a bit noddy.

Choreographed support is cringeworthy cr*p, it also doesn't mean a better atmosphere, and for most clubs it just look embarrassing.

The Itchen North and the Northam aren't made up of the same people, the folk in the Itchen North are there because they don't want to be in the Northam, there's a different culture in the Itchen North.

Also the other truth, that no one wants to admit, is that the atmosphere would be better if the main home end didn't have so many women and children in it.
Chapel End next season on 18:03 - Feb 19 with 3704 viewsBarnetSaint

100pc agree with this whole concept. Our vocal sections are too fragmented to make much of an impression.
Quite simply, something needs to be done and at the same time, the club can actually do something by attracting the 18 to 25 age group. ( by lowering the cost of tickets)
My son who is 23 simply can’t afford many home games.
Back to the Chapel end, it amazes me that clubs spend a fortune on science, the best diets for players etc but do jack sht to harness the positive effect of a vocal home crowd.
I’ve lost count of the many away games when the home team have kicked towards their “ home end” second half and won.
There is no sign that things will get any better next season so the club need to pull their finger out and do something, as suggested in the original post.
Chapel End next season on 18:22 - Feb 19 with 3684 viewskingslandstand1

The Chapel since day 1 has always been referred to as "family orientated" and will remain so. As someone sitting in Kingsland (clue is in the name) when Itchen North and Northam get going there is an atmosphere and that does get Chapel going now and again and even Kingsland but that we have to admit, is after we score/take the lead

I personally don't go to Northam cos mainly I'm sure you don't get a proper perspective of the game from behind the goal and also I would probably be one that you refer to under the "age demographic" preferring to sit but that doesn't particularly stop me at away games or home games though I feel a bit of a tw@t on my own at times (depending on how many beers sunk pre game)

Those in Northam and Itchen North from what I can understand prefer being next to away fans for the "banter" and friendly abuse throwing. I also like the thought of giving it to away fans in stereo (?)

One slightly minor issue (!) - how the fuk do you tell all ST holders in the Northam and Chapel stands that they've got to change their seats depending on whether they are going to sing or not?

We could also maybe try and get the players to not let their heads go down when we concede a goal and maybe have a leader on the pitch as captain which may also influence the crowd a bit? We have to be honest as Sonic has implied (I think), it could well be that we are more of a "family" type club (lots of kids and women but not allowed to say that nowadays) and not vociferous extrovert types that will "sing their hearts out for the boys" unless we're winning of course

I don't know the answer other than when there is a full (3 - 4k) away section of support try and spit them up - not a serious suggestion btw - and not the noisy Saints fans who do sing throughout, and there are plenty of those rather than give away fans a majority of one end behind a goal

No practical answers I'm afraid other than persuading everyone to sing their hearts out
Chapel End next season on 19:14 - Feb 19 with 3646 viewsMushty

The only way they could get your more boisterous element to relocate to the Chapel (and at the risk of alienating current ST Chapel holders), is first rename it (maybe this is why the present lot sit so quietly, they think they're in church), make that entire end rail-seating and make it clear that if you prefer to sit go elsewhere. Then increase the bar areas and make it so fans at that end can also go out and use the 'Fans Zone' for drinking and smoking at halftime.

And then make it cheap tickets, particularly for U22-25s.

If it was me, I'd also put on free buses to the stadium from the housing estates of Millbrook, Shirley Warren, The Flowers, Thornhill, Weston, etc. (but unfortunately, exactly the type of fan this club doesn't want).

*some reports suggest rail-seating could be introduced within 2 years.
[Post edited 20 Feb 2020 6:17]
Chapel End next season on 19:22 - Feb 19 with 3638 viewsBar_Brother

Moving away fans would be ideal- but I suspect for logistical /policing reasons I don’t think it will be considered.
On the subject of having a Kop end and it being seen as somewhat cringe worthy I understand why some fans feel that way- I am an old school fan myself being brought up on the terraces of the Milton and Archers Road at the Dell- we have to accept those days have gone and move forward- I know a lot of fans would prefer to stay where they are and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.
On the point made about the atmosphere being diluted by the demographics- that is also probably fair comment- to counter this I would like to see the club offer younger fans (say 15 to 25 year olds) a reduced season ticket / match day ticket into the singing area. It’s very noticeable how few fans we have in this age range- as Barnet Saint alluded to earlier - many in this age range are priced out of going which is a massive shame.
I would be happy to write to the club to propose this but wanted to get an idea of the support for and against!
[Post edited 19 Feb 2020 19:35]
Chapel End next season on 20:06 - Feb 19 with 3594 viewsgrumpy

Chapel End next season on 19:22 - Feb 19 by Bar_Brother

Moving away fans would be ideal- but I suspect for logistical /policing reasons I don’t think it will be considered.
On the subject of having a Kop end and it being seen as somewhat cringe worthy I understand why some fans feel that way- I am an old school fan myself being brought up on the terraces of the Milton and Archers Road at the Dell- we have to accept those days have gone and move forward- I know a lot of fans would prefer to stay where they are and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.
On the point made about the atmosphere being diluted by the demographics- that is also probably fair comment- to counter this I would like to see the club offer younger fans (say 15 to 25 year olds) a reduced season ticket / match day ticket into the singing area. It’s very noticeable how few fans we have in this age range- as Barnet Saint alluded to earlier - many in this age range are priced out of going which is a massive shame.
I would be happy to write to the club to propose this but wanted to get an idea of the support for and against!

Please do,Bar.Something has to be done.Divided we get nowhere.
Login to get fewer ads

Chapel End next season on 20:28 - Feb 19 with 3562 viewsBarnetSaint

Def needs doing and in order to gather enough support to the idea, contact all the other forums and fan groups.
If enough people get behind the idea the club could surprise us and act.
Meanwhiile, if there is an opportunity to add rail seats, I’m def for it
Chapel End next season on 20:37 - Feb 19 with 3544 viewskingslandstand1

Chapel End next season on 19:22 - Feb 19 by Bar_Brother

I have to say the idea of reduced prices for under 25's for instance initially sounds a good idea, but without being too negative there are bound to be obstacles and moaners about "why should I pay more than my best mate who's a year younger" and stuff like that

But it's certainly a start. Worth a shout, and it seems that sh1t house Austin may actually have done the club a favour??
Chapel End next season on 20:39 - Feb 19 with 3542 viewskingslandstand1

And one other thing Bar_Brother, as you seem to be a decent new poster, what are your top 3 biscuits??
Chapel End next season on 21:27 - Feb 19 with 3501 viewsBar_Brother

Ginger nuts- garibaldi & plain digestive! (A right old bland concoction)
Chapel End next season on 22:05 - Feb 19 with 3468 viewsTripleNiemi

Chapel End next season on 17:20 - Feb 19 by franniesTache

I really don't understand this obsession with a "kop". We already have a "kop" it's the Chapel, no one goes to it, those that do go to it don't want to sing (or stand).

People talk about a wall of red and white, well we have that wall already, the chapel is full of people in replica shirts. They don't sing and it's not intimidating, it's just a bit noddy.

Choreographed support is cringeworthy cr*p, it also doesn't mean a better atmosphere, and for most clubs it just look embarrassing.

The Itchen North and the Northam aren't made up of the same people, the folk in the Itchen North are there because they don't want to be in the Northam, there's a different culture in the Itchen North.

Also the other truth, that no one wants to admit, is that the atmosphere would be better if the main home end didn't have so many women and children in it.

Sadly we simply have a lot of noddy fans full stop.
Besides, most of the new breed simply want to play with their mobiles and applaud the opposition now. Times are rapidly moving on and the continued sanitisation of the game means its a whole different ball game these days. I cannot see this changing personally.

Ready and waiting to mop up those European places......

Chapel End next season on 07:33 - Feb 20 with 3371 viewsBarnetSaint

Yes, all clubs have an increase in their noddy brigade, but there are still enough of us who prefer the idea of an atmosphere resembling a football match!
I can see our dire home form continuing next season and beyond, so surely this idea warrants the effort.
Chapel End next season on 07:54 - Feb 20 with 3356 viewsgrumpy

Chapel End next season on 07:33 - Feb 20 by BarnetSaint

Yes, all clubs have an increase in their noddy brigade, but there are still enough of us who prefer the idea of an atmosphere resembling a football match!
I can see our dire home form continuing next season and beyond, so surely this idea warrants the effort.

I do think our home form can be affected.
There have been incidents where a ref can be persuaded to give something to our advantage.Our players reaction tells it all,they don't even remonstrate a close call.
Chapel End next season on 09:31 - Feb 20 with 3304 viewsSonicBoom

Call me a cynical old git but I honestly think this ship has sailed.
As others have said things have changed. A lot of fans these days don't go to games to get that involved. They may not even realise that themselves not having been to games back in the 80s and 90's.
The experience of being a football fan has gradually been sanitised since all seater stadiums were enforced. People generally have to sit, there are cameras pointing at every seat and now tickets are so expensive even the type of fan that can afford it has changed.
When we first moved to St Mary's me and 20 friends had season tickets in the Northam for the first 6 seasons, and i have to say it was pretty good. That culture has changed now though, and we almost do only have one song, and (this might be sacrilege ) but even that is a bit of a dirge.
You can't put toothpaste back in the tube. Football is different these days and no amount of musical chairs is going to reverse the process.
Chapel End next season on 09:43 - Feb 20 with 3297 viewsfranniesTache

Chapel End next season on 09:31 - Feb 20 by SonicBoom

As others have said things have changed. A lot of fans these days don't go to games to get that involved. They may not even realise that themselves not having been to games back in the 80s and 90's.
The experience of being a football fan has gradually been sanitised since all seater stadiums were enforced. People generally have to sit, there are cameras pointing at every seat and now tickets are so expensive even the type of fan that can afford it has changed.
When we first moved to St Mary's me and 20 friends had season tickets in the Northam for the first 6 seasons, and i have to say it was pretty good. That culture has changed now though, and we almost do only have one song, and (this might be sacrilege ) but even that is a bit of a dirge.
You can't put toothpaste back in the tube. Football is different these days and no amount of musical chairs is going to reverse the process.

Yeah the northam was great for a few seasons at the start, i still think the biggest reason it turned sh*t was because the club stopped it being an adult only stand.
Chapel End next season on 10:17 - Feb 20 with 3269 viewsDorsetIan

As the Club now seems to be blaming home results on a lack of vocal support, perhaps now is the time for them to have a complete re-think on stadium layout.

And cheaper to moves a few seats around that pay for a decent new player.

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

Chapel End next season on 10:43 - Feb 20 with 3257 viewsSaintNick

Every few months we have a debate about making the Northam Stand a home end only, every time people like myself bring up the logisitcal reasons why this would not be practical, but eac h time they ignored and we keep repeating the exercise in adfinitum.

The blunt truth is football stadiums are like pubs they are all just buildings, what makes a good pub or a good football ground is the people inside it.

We can't even fill the Northam end now so making it the home end won't do a thing for the atmosphere, the only thing that will change that is a change in mindset for most of our fanbase.

Stop moaning about the club and finding something negative in everything and an excuse for everything and try and change it.

The guys in the Itchen North including Frannies Tache have done just that and we mght not have a home end, but we have a better thing, the away fans surrounded on both sides and from that perspective we can drown out the away fans, not actually give them a part of the ground where they can make a lot of noise unchallenged.

So creating a home end might be a negative move given the attitude prevalent in a large chunk of our fanbase at present.

Keep it how it is and you have the Northam and part of the Kingsland quite vocal and then another section in the itchen coming at the away fans from both sides.

Stereo effect so to speak and if conjoined probably a better effect than we have ever had from the northam alone.

There is always an excuse from some, whatever the issue, time to stop using excuses and trying to utilise what we have got

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Chapel End next season on 10:45 - Feb 20 with 3255 viewsgrumpy

Chapel End next season on 09:31 - Feb 20 by SonicBoom

Watching football has changed its true,but it doesn't mean we shouldn't.
I too had a a season ticket the first few seasons and there was a buzz about the place then.
Most clubs have only one or two songs apart from United,ours must be pretty good as so many have copied it.
We cant just sit back and say ah!well that's the way it is now because nothing will change.
If the toothpaste is out the tube change it.
Chapel End next season on 10:55 - Feb 20 with 3248 viewsgrumpy

Chapel End next season on 10:43 - Feb 20 by SaintNick

Every few months we have a debate about making the Northam Stand a home end only, every time people like myself bring up the logisitcal reasons why this would not be practical, but eac h time they ignored and we keep repeating the exercise in adfinitum.

The blunt truth is football stadiums are like pubs they are all just buildings, what makes a good pub or a good football ground is the people inside it.

We can't even fill the Northam end now so making it the home end won't do a thing for the atmosphere, the only thing that will change that is a change in mindset for most of our fanbase.

Stop moaning about the club and finding something negative in everything and an excuse for everything and try and change it.

The guys in the Itchen North including Frannies Tache have done just that and we mght not have a home end, but we have a better thing, the away fans surrounded on both sides and from that perspective we can drown out the away fans, not actually give them a part of the ground where they can make a lot of noise unchallenged.

So creating a home end might be a negative move given the attitude prevalent in a large chunk of our fanbase at present.

Keep it how it is and you have the Northam and part of the Kingsland quite vocal and then another section in the itchen coming at the away fans from both sides.

Stereo effect so to speak and if conjoined probably a better effect than we have ever had from the northam alone.

There is always an excuse from some, whatever the issue, time to stop using excuses and trying to utilise what we have got

'so making it the home end won't do a thing for the atmosphere'
Yes it will,change it and the fans will fill it.
Were not finding negatives were trying to create something positive.
I find your stance on this very sad from someone who runs this site.
The way it is just doesn't work and plenty are of the same opinion.
Trying to create atmospheres from corners doesn't work.
Chapel End next season on 11:01 - Feb 20 with 3238 viewsBuggalugs

Chapel End next season on 10:43 - Feb 20 by SaintNick

Nods in agreement

Poll: How do YOU define a racist?

Chapel End next season on 12:13 - Feb 20 with 3207 viewsBar_Brother

Nick, this is not a debate about making the Northam the home end but rather the Chapel. I take your point about being next to the away fans on both sides and drowning them out but this hasn't happened for years.
If you recall the Archers when it was covered was a brilliant home end- away fans were in the corner and were easily drowned out by the couple of thousand home fans in the Archers Road. This was a great example of how effective a good vociferous home end can be and I am convinced this atmosphere helped the boys on a number of relegation battles!
I also think you are missing the point about this debate regarding it being some sort of vendetta against the club- and their perceived unwillingness to accept a fans view regarding change. This is certainly not a moan against the club, if we can find a way to work together to create a better atmosphere then everyone (including those in the Boardroom, manager and players) would surely be 100% behind it.
There has been a lot made of demographics and the relationship between composition of fan type and atmosphere. Namely that the atmosphere is more diluted now because there are more women, children and older fans- added to that the perception that there is also a new type of 'semi touristic middle class fan' who takes a few photos and buggers off early to the tune of 'is there a fire drill' etc.
I think class, age, gender etc is not an issue, they are paying their money like everyone else and whilst they may not contribute to an electric atmosphere they are a reflection of what the Premier league has become. However, taking all that to one side there is no question that a home end would benefit from a higher proportion of young adults- this is an area which I am sure the club could investigate, How do we attract the 16 to 25 year old market? I have a 21 year old son - like most lads his age, he's generally skint but loves football and likes nothing better than having a good sing song at footy on a Saturday- if the club were to section off a large part of the Chapel and encourage more of this younger fan with reduced tickets then surely this would be good for the club on so many levels. From there, this young fan movement would grow organically and they would take some ownership and have a sense of identity (as we all once did when we stood on the terraces at the Dell).
We can spend £20 million on a striker who may or may not have any impact whatsoever. Every transfer carries a huge financial risk- this is arguably a far lesser 'gamble' it has to be worth at least opening up some dialogue with the club on how we can improve the atmosphere at St Marys and in by doing so help the team to better results!
Chapel End next season on 12:24 - Feb 20 with 3195 viewsgrumpy

Chapel End next season on 12:13 - Feb 20 by Bar_Brother

Nick, this is not a debate about making the Northam the home end but rather the Chapel. I take your point about being next to the away fans on both sides and drowning them out but this hasn't happened for years.
If you recall the Archers when it was covered was a brilliant home end- away fans were in the corner and were easily drowned out by the couple of thousand home fans in the Archers Road. This was a great example of how effective a good vociferous home end can be and I am convinced this atmosphere helped the boys on a number of relegation battles!
I also think you are missing the point about this debate regarding it being some sort of vendetta against the club- and their perceived unwillingness to accept a fans view regarding change. This is certainly not a moan against the club, if we can find a way to work together to create a better atmosphere then everyone (including those in the Boardroom, manager and players) would surely be 100% behind it.
There has been a lot made of demographics and the relationship between composition of fan type and atmosphere. Namely that the atmosphere is more diluted now because there are more women, children and older fans- added to that the perception that there is also a new type of 'semi touristic middle class fan' who takes a few photos and buggers off early to the tune of 'is there a fire drill' etc.
I think class, age, gender etc is not an issue, they are paying their money like everyone else and whilst they may not contribute to an electric atmosphere they are a reflection of what the Premier league has become. However, taking all that to one side there is no question that a home end would benefit from a higher proportion of young adults- this is an area which I am sure the club could investigate, How do we attract the 16 to 25 year old market? I have a 21 year old son - like most lads his age, he's generally skint but loves football and likes nothing better than having a good sing song at footy on a Saturday- if the club were to section off a large part of the Chapel and encourage more of this younger fan with reduced tickets then surely this would be good for the club on so many levels. From there, this young fan movement would grow organically and they would take some ownership and have a sense of identity (as we all once did when we stood on the terraces at the Dell).
We can spend £20 million on a striker who may or may not have any impact whatsoever. Every transfer carries a huge financial risk- this is arguably a far lesser 'gamble' it has to be worth at least opening up some dialogue with the club on how we can improve the atmosphere at St Marys and in by doing so help the team to better results!

We should get these points put to the club because no change means no change and that is clearly not working.
Chapel End next season on 12:27 - Feb 20 with 3190 viewsBarnetSaint

something else on this issue, with our vocal elements being next to the away fans, havnt you noticed it’s only our fans who come to the attention of the stewards?
As “ banter” carries on back and forth, it’s only our fans who get ejected.
It wouldn’t be such of an issue if we were all gathered at one end!

This fans charter seems only to apply to home fans.
The aggressive, challenging antics of those Tott idiots after the home cup game proves the point, pushing stewards etc yet Jack sht was done.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024