Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Man City / Arsenal swathes of empty seats 23:23 - Feb 19 with 994 viewsSaintsforeverj

Anybody saying how bad Saints fans are, take a look at the empty seats at Man City (Google it or watch the goals). It was also completely silent even after a 2 nil win. This is a team who are 2nd in the PL.

This is not a thread to down Man City at all ( I would actually prefer them to win the league above the others) , but just to point out that the PL is deteriorating at many levels and Saints fans are no different to most of the rest. Arsenal had loads of empty seats too. If a team is 2nd but the grou d is empty and silent, what hope is there for clubs like Saints?

There are wider issues - the PL will lose its fans and interest if it continues to be so uncompetitive, expensive and predictable.
[Post edited 19 Feb 2020 23:26]

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

Man City / Arsenal swathes of empty seats on 23:30 - Feb 19 with 972 viewsdirk_doone

The top flight is as competitive as it's ever been, and you'll see a lot more swathes of empty seats in other leagues, like the Championship, Serie A and La Liga, as well as far quieter and more miserable atmospheres.

In terms of attendances, the 80s was the worst decade for top flight attendances. Perhaps we are seeing the beginning of another era of one team dominance like we had then, when Liverpool were champions most years.
[Post edited 19 Feb 2020 23:34]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Man City / Arsenal swathes of empty seats on 23:43 - Feb 19 with 951 viewsSaintsforeverj

Man City / Arsenal swathes of empty seats on 23:30 - Feb 19 by dirk_doone

The top flight is as competitive as it's ever been, and you'll see a lot more swathes of empty seats in other leagues, like the Championship, Serie A and La Liga, as well as far quieter and more miserable atmospheres.

In terms of attendances, the 80s was the worst decade for top flight attendances. Perhaps we are seeing the beginning of another era of one team dominance like we had then, when Liverpool were champions most years.

True, but it's been a while since there were swathes of empty seats at Arsenal and Man City hasn't it?

Man City / Arsenal swathes of empty seats on 23:53 - Feb 19 with 939 viewsdirk_doone

Man City / Arsenal swathes of empty seats on 23:43 - Feb 19 by Saintsforeverj

True, but it's been a while since there were swathes of empty seats at Arsenal and Man City hasn't it?

Yes, as I said, perhaps it's the beginning of the one team dominance we had in the 80s that's demoralising other teams' fans. It's too early to say yet. Liverpool will be the 5th different team to win the Premier League in 8 years. Even Saints finished ahead of them as recently as 2016. Perhaps the success of Leicester is also demoralising fans of teams like Arsenal. The top teams are constantly changing and their attendances go up and down accordingly. Just 20 years ago, Man City were in the Third Division and getting crowds half the size of the ones they get now.
[Post edited 19 Feb 2020 23:55]

Man City / Arsenal swathes of empty seats on 23:56 - Feb 19 with 933 viewsSaintsforeverj

Man City / Arsenal swathes of empty seats on 23:53 - Feb 19 by dirk_doone

Yes, as I said, perhaps it's the beginning of the one team dominance we had in the 80s that's demoralising other teams' fans. It's too early to say yet. Liverpool will be the 5th different team to win the Premier League in 8 years. Even Saints finished ahead of them as recently as 2016. Perhaps the success of Leicester is also demoralising fans of teams like Arsenal. The top teams are constantly changing and their attendances go up and down accordingly. Just 20 years ago, Man City were in the Third Division and getting crowds half the size of the ones they get now.
[Post edited 19 Feb 2020 23:55]

Although for the current champions to be demoralised when they are 2nd is strange. Last year we were talking about Man City dominating for years to come.
[Post edited 20 Feb 2020 0:01]

Man City / Arsenal swathes of empty seats on 23:58 - Feb 19 with 926 viewsdirk_doone

Man City / Arsenal swathes of empty seats on 23:56 - Feb 19 by Saintsforeverj

Although for the current champions to be demoralised when they are 2nd is strange. Last year we were talking about Man City dominating for years to come.
[Post edited 20 Feb 2020 0:01]

Yes, I remember several posters on here saying that Liverpool's title challenge last season was just a flash in the pan and that Man City would win the league easily this year. It just goes to show how unpredictable it is.

When a team does worse than it did the previous season, its attendances tend to drop off. That's always been the case. Even when Pompey were reigning, back-to-back champions in 1950/51, as the season progressed their fans drifted away and their ground was usually half empty. Their fans lost interest when they saw that they weren't going to win the league again so, by the end of the season, they were down to just 22,000 fans in a ground with a capacity of 50,000+ for their final home game. At least Man City and Arsenal fans aren't quite that fickle.
[Post edited 20 Feb 2020 8:02]

Man City / Arsenal swathes of empty seats on 00:04 - Feb 20 with 915 viewsSaintsforeverj

Man City / Arsenal swathes of empty seats on 23:58 - Feb 19 by dirk_doone

Yes, I remember several posters on here saying that Liverpool's title challenge last season was just a flash in the pan and that Man City would win the league easily this year. It just goes to show how unpredictable it is.

When a team does worse than it did the previous season, its attendances tend to drop off. That's always been the case. Even when Pompey were reigning, back-to-back champions in 1950/51, as the season progressed their fans drifted away and their ground was usually half empty. Their fans lost interest when they saw that they weren't going to win the league again so, by the end of the season, they were down to just 22,000 fans in a ground with a capacity of 50,000+ for their final home game. At least Man City and Arsenal fans aren't quite that fickle.
[Post edited 20 Feb 2020 8:02]

It's not unpredictable. We know Man City or Liverpool will win the league. A team like Chelsea could but that's about it. Leicester was a real one off I suspect. I bet nobody but Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea Man U will win it in the next 20 years.

Arsenal fans demoralised because they are only 8th. They ought to try only winning one trophy in 100 years. My point is, Saints fans are no worse than the rest. The other teams just have more success. As soon as they don't have success, their fans are just as fickle and moany. And they have a lot less to be upset about.
[Post edited 20 Feb 2020 0:09]

Man City / Arsenal swathes of empty seats on 00:10 - Feb 20 with 895 viewsdirk_doone

Man City / Arsenal swathes of empty seats on 00:04 - Feb 20 by Saintsforeverj

It's not unpredictable. We know Man City or Liverpool will win the league. A team like Chelsea could but that's about it. Leicester was a real one off I suspect. I bet nobody but Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea Man U will win it in the next 20 years.

Arsenal fans demoralised because they are only 8th. They ought to try only winning one trophy in 100 years. My point is, Saints fans are no worse than the rest. The other teams just have more success. As soon as they don't have success, their fans are just as fickle and moany. And they have a lot less to be upset about.
[Post edited 20 Feb 2020 0:09]

"I bet nobody but Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea Man U will win it in the next 20 years."

I'll accept that bet. How much do you want to make it? £100?

By the way, I agree with your point: attendances have always reflected teams' performances and always will do. If Liverpool had a few seasons of relegation struggle, with some heavy home defeats thrown in, their attendances would drop off the same as every other team's would.
[Post edited 20 Feb 2020 0:17]

Man City / Arsenal swathes of empty seats on 00:17 - Feb 20 with 880 viewsSaintsforeverj

Man City / Arsenal swathes of empty seats on 00:10 - Feb 20 by dirk_doone

"I bet nobody but Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea Man U will win it in the next 20 years."

I'll accept that bet. How much do you want to make it? £100?

By the way, I agree with your point: attendances have always reflected teams' performances and always will do. If Liverpool had a few seasons of relegation struggle, with some heavy home defeats thrown in, their attendances would drop off the same as every other team's would.
[Post edited 20 Feb 2020 0:17]

Ha ok, I bet £100 in the next 10 years let's say, that the only winners of the PL will be Liverpool, Man City, Chelsea or Man Utd. I would give a slight chance to Spurs, Arsenal and Leicester (I bet £50 that it won't be those teams) but that's it isn't it. Easy to predict right?

Login to get fewer ads

Man City / Arsenal swathes of empty seats on 00:20 - Feb 20 with 876 viewsdirk_doone

Man City / Arsenal swathes of empty seats on 00:17 - Feb 20 by Saintsforeverj

Ha ok, I bet £100 in the next 10 years let's say, that the only winners of the PL will be Liverpool, Man City, Chelsea or Man Utd. I would give a slight chance to Spurs, Arsenal and Leicester (I bet £50 that it won't be those teams) but that's it isn't it. Easy to predict right?

Well, apparently not because you have already changed your mind. Don't worry I won't take your money. I'm not that mean.

Man City / Arsenal swathes of empty seats on 00:27 - Feb 20 with 868 viewsSaintsforeverj

Man City / Arsenal swathes of empty seats on 00:20 - Feb 20 by dirk_doone

Well, apparently not because you have already changed your mind. Don't worry I won't take your money. I'm not that mean.

Ha, you will be giving me money as I will win the bet! In 10 years the only winners will be Man U, Liverpool, Chelsea, Man City. OK we leave it as friendly £100 bet over 10 years? I'm aware there is a slight chance of Arsenal, Spurs or Leicester winning it, but I'm sure they wont! Im pretty sure that unfortunately Liverpool will win again next year and I can see Man U coming back in the race when Poch takes over.

Man City / Arsenal swathes of empty seats on 23:45 - Feb 20 with 608 viewsBlue

I wasn't surprised we had empty seats for the west ham match, bearing in mind it was a rearranged game due to the storms a week and a half before. I was surprised there were so many though.

Our fans are a strange bunch, it's the early leavers that do my head in.

Still stood in the Kippax

Man City / Arsenal swathes of empty seats on 07:40 - Feb 21 with 551 viewsthis_charming_man

Man City / Arsenal swathes of empty seats on 00:20 - Feb 20 by dirk_doone

if in 20 years time we are all still posting on here and remember the bet then they needed to given the £100 to pay towards their mental health fees.

TUIs only reliable source of ITk news. #bewareoffalseprophets
Poll: Who hates the tories the most?

Man City / Arsenal swathes of empty seats on 16:02 - Feb 21 with 486 viewsSaintsforeverj

Man City / Arsenal swathes of empty seats on 07:40 - Feb 21 by this_charming_man

if in 20 years time we are all still posting on here and remember the bet then they needed to given the £100 to pay towards their mental health fees.

What will be posting about in 20 years time?

Should Saints join the European super league?

What do we think of Old Boris introducing flying cars?

When will Corbyn retire?
[Post edited 21 Feb 2020 16:03]

Man City / Arsenal swathes of empty seats on 17:08 - Feb 21 with 451 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

Man City / Arsenal swathes of empty seats on 23:30 - Feb 19 by dirk_doone

It’s never been as competitive

1958—59 Wolverhampton Wanderers (3)
1959—60 Burnley (2)
1960—61 Tottenham Hotspur (2)
1961—62 Ipswich Town
1962—63 Everton (6)
1963—64 Liverpool (6)
1964—65 Manchester United (6)
1965—66 Liverpool (7)
1966—67 Manchester United (7)
1967—68 Manchester City (2)
1968—69 Leeds United
1969—70 Everton (7)
1970—71 Arsenal (8)
1971—72 Derby County

So, we have 11 different winners in 14 years, but today’s league is as competitive? The education in Southampton is absolutely shocking.
[Post edited 21 Feb 2020 17:25]

Poll: Is Southampton FC a big club. Where do they rank?

Man City / Arsenal swathes of empty seats on 17:26 - Feb 21 with 440 viewsthis_charming_man

Man City / Arsenal swathes of empty seats on 16:02 - Feb 21 by Saintsforeverj

What will be posting about in 20 years time?

Should Saints join the European super league?

What do we think of Old Boris introducing flying cars?

When will Corbyn retire?
[Post edited 21 Feb 2020 16:03]

How the atmosphere was so much better in 2020

Why is our chairman so sh1t?

When will we sign a decent centre back

Should we move fans to the corner so we can have a kop end?

TUIs only reliable source of ITk news. #bewareoffalseprophets
Poll: Who hates the tories the most?

Man City / Arsenal swathes of empty seats on 17:56 - Feb 21 with 423 viewsSaintsforeverj

Man City / Arsenal swathes of empty seats on 17:26 - Feb 21 by this_charming_man

How the atmosphere was so much better in 2020

Why is our chairman so sh1t?

When will we sign a decent centre back

Should we move fans to the corner so we can have a kop end?

Well, when will we ever sign a centre back will definitely be a talking point. We will still have vestegared, Bednerac and Stephens in 2040.

Nelly will call it, ageing sustainability in a modern new world.
[Post edited 21 Feb 2020 17:58]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024