Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Good example of Chinese Ownership 06:59 - Feb 20 with 2934 viewsButty101

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51539821

Then compare it to our shower of sh@t, that was brought in to take us to the next level.

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

Good example of Chinese Ownership on 10:01 - Feb 20 with 2035 viewsRon11

Chairman Gao.
Lovely man. Has the fan's loyalty at heart.
Good example of Chinese Ownership on 10:27 - Feb 20 with 2023 viewsSaintNick

Good example of Chinese Ownership on 10:01 - Feb 20 by Ron11

Chairman Gao.
Lovely man. Has the fan's loyalty at heart.

Give me one instance of where Gao has failed to deliver on his promise, his only crime is not to pump multi millions in for transfer fees, something he can't actually do due to financial fair play regulations.

Be careful what you wish for, for every so called model owner there are 10 who have led their clubs to self destruction spending money they don't have.

Gao and Markus Liebherr have worked to exactly the same model, yet one has his name sung at every game and the other is villified

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Good example of Chinese Ownership on 10:37 - Feb 20 with 2011 viewsDorsetIan

Good example of Chinese Ownership on 10:27 - Feb 20 by SaintNick

Give me one instance of where Gao has failed to deliver on his promise, his only crime is not to pump multi millions in for transfer fees, something he can't actually do due to financial fair play regulations.

Be careful what you wish for, for every so called model owner there are 10 who have led their clubs to self destruction spending money they don't have.

Gao and Markus Liebherr have worked to exactly the same model, yet one has his name sung at every game and the other is villified

Nick. Let's turn this on its head...

Can you name one really great thing that Gao has done since he took over. Something strategic which takes Saints 'to the next level'?

It's easy to praise him for what he hasn't done.

Also, what evidence do you have that he has financed the club to absolute max within the terms of financial fair play? If this is the case, how is it that other clubs seem to be able to spend more than we do?

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

Good example of Chinese Ownership on 10:40 - Feb 20 with 2009 viewssaints__fan__73

Edited for accuracy:

"Give me one instance of where Gao has failed to deliver on his promise, his only crime is not to pump multi millions in for transfer fees, something he can't actually do due to not having any money."

"Playing Devil's Advocate since 15th January 2014"
Poll: Have the events of the Summer made Nick feel closer to LFC?

Good example of Chinese Ownership on 10:48 - Feb 20 with 2004 viewsButty101

I thought FFP rules allowed the owner to cover a loss of 100mill over a rolling 3 year period.

Nick are you saying Kat lied to the fans then? As she was quoted as saying several times she didnt have the resources to take the club to the next level, hence she bought Gao in.

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

Good example of Chinese Ownership on 10:53 - Feb 20 with 2000 viewsSaintNick

Good example of Chinese Ownership on 10:37 - Feb 20 by DorsetIan

Nick. Let's turn this on its head...

Can you name one really great thing that Gao has done since he took over. Something strategic which takes Saints 'to the next level'?

It's easy to praise him for what he hasn't done.

Also, what evidence do you have that he has financed the club to absolute max within the terms of financial fair play? If this is the case, how is it that other clubs seem to be able to spend more than we do?

OK ill ask you a question what would you suggest is a really great thing ?

Im ignoring saintsfan73 as his sarcastic remark about Gao having no money shows that he really has no idea how much money that Gao has got nor of the situation between China and the USA of late which has affected the UK as we are seen as their ally, in turn affecting the movement of money out of China.

I have no evidence whatsoever of whether he has maxed out the financial fair play rules and to be blunt nor do you, but you slag him off for not putting money in.

The Gao era so far has been following the Markus Liebherr pattern to the letter, so why is one villified and the other praised to the hilt ? Show me the difference between the two ways of doing things other than when we had Cortese in charge who promised the world but was actually in dispute with the Liebherr family so had no actual money to spend and was trying to get himself a big pay off, but hey he promised us glory so lets go with the story we like to hear just as Pompey did a decade ago.

What Gao has done has tried to evolve the club, Reed & Krueger went and new men were brought in, Hughes went and in came Hasenhuttl who they have their faith in, now in has come Matt Crocker and we may not be pumping millions in but we are rebuilding the foundations again.

Good example of Chinese Ownership on 11:36 - Feb 20 with 1970 viewssaints__fan__73

Good example of Chinese Ownership on 10:53 - Feb 20 by SaintNick

Im ignoring saintsfan73 as his sarcastic remark about Gao having no money shows that he really has no idea how much money that Gao has got nor of the situation between China and the USA of late which has affected the UK as we are seen as their ally, in turn affecting the movement of money out of China.

I have no evidence whatsoever of whether he has maxed out the financial fair play rules and to be blunt nor do you, but you slag him off for not putting money in.

The Gao era so far has been following the Markus Liebherr pattern to the letter, so why is one villified and the other praised to the hilt ? Show me the difference between the two ways of doing things other than when we had Cortese in charge who promised the world but was actually in dispute with the Liebherr family so had no actual money to spend and was trying to get himself a big pay off, but hey he promised us glory so lets go with the story we like to hear just as Pompey did a decade ago.

What Gao has done has tried to evolve the club, Reed & Krueger went and new men were brought in, Hughes went and in came Hasenhuttl who they have their faith in, now in has come Matt Crocker and we may not be pumping millions in but we are rebuilding the foundations again.

Gao has no money.

Be serious for a second Nick, it's obvious what his plan is - take out huge PERSONAL loans to buy a club. Let the club self-fund (no other choice) and pray to god it stays in the PL for a few seasons.

Then sell the club for a nice profit allowing him pay off his personal loans and still have a nice lump of cash for him and his daughter to live off for the rest of their lives.

Please don't insult us by saying there is anything more to his ownership than this.

The bull s h it spouted at the fan's forum about him wanting to retire to the local area is utterly laughable.

Good example of Chinese Ownership on 11:37 - Feb 20 with 1967 viewskingslandstand1

The biggest issue down here is that although we havent seen 100's of millions pumped in, we have seen millions go in but wasted on bad signings

Not sure on figures or exactly when it was spent but the evidence is on the pitch. Now Nick is continually defending thd club and being criticised for doing so, but he does have some good points, but also bad ones

As has been said, Kat said we need to move to the next level hence Gao came in but apart from a couple of months ago there's not a lot of evidence of that and the fans need to see something positive rather than see us just stagnate which appears to be happening

It was just 3 years ago that we had our European tour, the passport has now been put away and for quite a while from what we are seeing!

And while we are not as depressed as West Ham fans, it's pretty gloomy down here right now which could also explain yesterday's thread re Austin
Login to get fewer ads

Good example of Chinese Ownership on 11:42 - Feb 20 with 1965 viewsDorsetIan

I don't particularly want to be pedantic but you can't really write...

"..his only crime is not to pump multi millions in for transfer fees, something he can't actually do due to financial fair play regulations..."

and then admit...

"...I have no evidence whatsoever of whether he has maxed out the financial fair play rules and to be blunt nor do you, but you slag him off for not putting money in."

If you are going to assert that he hasn't put money in because of the financial fair play then I think it's reasonable to expect you to be able to back that up. You are right, I am not an expert on the financial fair play rules, but it's not me using them as an excuse for him.

More generally, you take the view that he is carrying on what Marcus did and therefore that's enough, and everyone should get off his back. I think most fans see things a little differently.

First, if Kat, who had who simply inherited the club, just carried on as her father had done, everyone could accept that that would be great. But Gao bought the club and we were told he would 'take it to the next level'.

When a new, apparently very rich owner, comes in, I think the fans have every right to expect some ambition from the new owner, especially when statements like that are made.

In fact, not only have we not seen any ambition, but Gao's period of ownership seems to be characterised by a distinct lack of cash. Particularly, the fact that we have had to sell to buy, and that our spending has been pretty unimpressive. Add that the mess up with the replica shirts being ready at the start of the season, the sponsorship by a company which is clearly a front for something else, and the complex web of 'Lander' companies with which Saints, Gao and the Chinese Govt are now involved and I think asking what on earth Gao is up to is fair enough.

And this 'next level' business has turned out to be complete b0ll0cks.

So, it is not fans slagging him off for the sake of it, but a pretty reasonable response to his ownership.

What would be a really great thing? Well here's a start, how about at the next transfer window he provides a bridging loan, so that we can at least buy first and sell later, rather than waiting until the very last day to scrape together enough coppers to get someone in on loan.

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

Good example of Chinese Ownership on 13:30 - Feb 20 with 1915 viewsRon11

I thought you would bite on this one and I wasn't wrong.
Where did I say he has failed to deliver on his promise? What fu cking promise was made?
All we need is a central defender or two, some consistent results and everybody would be happy.
All we see is the exact opposite. Defenders leaving, and one untried right back coming in. The position we could be in if so many points had not been thrown away. Yet nothing, NOTHING has been done about it.
If the guy's name was Cortese no doubt we'd be hearing total negativity from you instead of constant defence of an empty chair.
Good example of Chinese Ownership on 13:43 - Feb 20 with 1907 viewsSaintsforeverj

Nick, we just want the club to buy 2 decent defenders after 4 LONG PAINFUL Years!! What is so difficult to understand!! You rightly say the defence needs addressing, then you tell us not to blame the club when they don't address it!!! FF sake, the club made a huge profit, we just want a bit of that money spent on the team! In particular our terrible defence. It's really simple! What don't you understand about our wish to spend some of our profit on a new defender, that You are demanding too? ?

What's the point of having Matt Crocker of we still have the same useless defence that we had 4 years ago!! We might as well have Harry Redknapps dog doing the job. Plus it would be nice to have an owner like the Wolves owner wouldn't it. Why would an owner buy a club and not put any money money in? We all know the answer.
[Post edited 20 Feb 2020 13:49]

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

Good example of Chinese Ownership on 14:01 - Feb 20 with 1884 viewsSaintNick

Good example of Chinese Ownership on 11:36 - Feb 20 by saints__fan__73

Gao has no money.

Be serious for a second Nick, it's obvious what his plan is - take out huge PERSONAL loans to buy a club. Let the club self-fund (no other choice) and pray to god it stays in the PL for a few seasons.

Then sell the club for a nice profit allowing him pay off his personal loans and still have a nice lump of cash for him and his daughter to live off for the rest of their lives.

Please don't insult us by saying there is anything more to his ownership than this.

The bull s h it spouted at the fan's forum about him wanting to retire to the local area is utterly laughable.

Right Gao has no money, so someone is allowing him to borrow £200 million on the back of that then ? If it is that easy then pop into your local bank and try and borrow that amount, they dont just dish out loans to anybody.

He borrowed the money so that the club could be bought by him personally and to push the deal through at a time when China was blocking investments abroad something that it does quite routinely everytime it falls out with the West

So if Gao's game plan is to sell the club for a nice profit and pay off the loans, why has he allowed the club to re invest all/most of it's incoming transfer fees on new signings ? Please don't insult me by saying you do not understand that a transfer fee does not have associated costs like agents fees, signing on fees etc,

He could easily have guaranteed raking in a large chunk of his investment by doing just this, as it is if we were relegated he could find his investment virtually worthless.

I am p*ssing myself here because you are quoting an opinion of Gao which is way off the mark and nothing more than pub gossip, you are completely unaware of what is happening behind the scenes at the club .

I don't buy rubbish that he wants to retire to the local area, however given the situation in China politically I think if he could do so he would rather live here than over there, who wouldn't.

The club has self funded itself throughout it's history, in just about the only time it didn't 2006-2008, we went to the wall

Good example of Chinese Ownership on 14:45 - Feb 20 with 1849 viewssaints__fan__73

Good example of Chinese Ownership on 14:01 - Feb 20 by SaintNick

Right Gao has no money, so someone is allowing him to borrow £200 million on the back of that then ? If it is that easy then pop into your local bank and try and borrow that amount, they dont just dish out loans to anybody.

He borrowed the money so that the club could be bought by him personally and to push the deal through at a time when China was blocking investments abroad something that it does quite routinely everytime it falls out with the West

So if Gao's game plan is to sell the club for a nice profit and pay off the loans, why has he allowed the club to re invest all/most of it's incoming transfer fees on new signings ? Please don't insult me by saying you do not understand that a transfer fee does not have associated costs like agents fees, signing on fees etc,

He could easily have guaranteed raking in a large chunk of his investment by doing just this, as it is if we were relegated he could find his investment virtually worthless.

I am p*ssing myself here because you are quoting an opinion of Gao which is way off the mark and nothing more than pub gossip, you are completely unaware of what is happening behind the scenes at the club .

I don't buy rubbish that he wants to retire to the local area, however given the situation in China politically I think if he could do so he would rather live here than over there, who wouldn't.

The club has self funded itself throughout it's history, in just about the only time it didn't 2006-2008, we went to the wall

The thought that you work in finance really does scare me Nick.

Of course he isn't just going to take any transfer cash we can get (which tbf with our current players is not that much now) as all that would do is to make the club certain to be relegated and as you said worth next to nothing.

As always, I never quite understand what point you are trying to make other than to continue your never ending quest to defend to the hilt everything the club do for no other reason than that nasty man who took lil Nick's season tickety wickety isn't there anymore.

What pub opinion of Gao? That, yes he's a rich man, but not in the terms of people who normally own PL clubs and he has no money of his own to invest as evidenced by the fact he had to borrow all the funds to buy 80% of the club.

I've no issue with the club being self-funding, we have never been anything else.

So if you don't think Gao is in this to make some money then what do you think is his objective? To lead a self-funding club to PL glory?
[Post edited 20 Feb 2020 15:05]

Good example of Chinese Ownership - let's lighten the mood on 17:20 - Feb 20 with 1799 viewskingslandstand1

Good example of Chinese Ownership on 13:43 - Feb 20 by Saintsforeverj

Nick, we just want the club to buy 2 decent defenders after 4 LONG PAINFUL Years!! What is so difficult to understand!! You rightly say the defence needs addressing, then you tell us not to blame the club when they don't address it!!! FF sake, the club made a huge profit, we just want a bit of that money spent on the team! In particular our terrible defence. It's really simple! What don't you understand about our wish to spend some of our profit on a new defender, that You are demanding too? ?

What's the point of having Matt Crocker of we still have the same useless defence that we had 4 years ago!! We might as well have Harry Redknapps dog doing the job. Plus it would be nice to have an owner like the Wolves owner wouldn't it. Why would an owner buy a club and not put any money money in? We all know the answer.
[Post edited 20 Feb 2020 13:49]

Talking of Harry Redknapp's dog, did you see 'arry picking his sh1t up last night on the tv in that programme from his small Sandbanks pad? Well amused me, as the programme did as well with Razor and Pasquale on it
Good example of Chinese Ownership on 17:37 - Feb 20 with 1794 viewsdirk_doone

Good example of Chinese Ownership on 14:01 - Feb 20 by SaintNick

If Gao had any serious money, Forbes would have found it. He hasn't; Wolves owners have though:

https://www.forbes.com/china-billionaires/list/

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Good example of Chinese Ownership on 19:58 - Feb 20 with 1743 viewsthis_charming_man

So is anyone going to share what really is going on behind the scenes at the club as it’s seems only a select few are aware

From the outside looking in it seems to be running absolutely shambolicly and now they’re running around trying to plug the holes.

TUIs only reliable source of ITk news. #bewareoffalseprophets
Poll: Who hates the tories the most?

Good example of Chinese Ownership on 22:30 - Feb 20 with 1658 viewsA1079

Some really good points made by many people and alot of reasoned debate.

I don't profess to know what is going on financially wise or pretend to understand how Gao is funding or not funding the club, but when asking what has he done wrong, that is not the question really is it? Has he (and Kat Liebherr and the board) taken us to the next level?

All, many of us, can base our feelings and opinions on are on what we see and what we experience and my feeling this season, especially at the start of it, was a club being poorly lead and managed. Why did or do I feel like that as a fan or a customer, well here is a start:-

- the fiasco over the kit (and the poor design);
- the delays with the season tickets;
- the delays with the membership cards,
- failure with signing or making a serious attempt to rectify the problems in our defence;
- the recent issue with away ticket purchase and allocation;
- consistently poor communication

Now, you may say, what has Gao got to do with much of that. Well, whether he likes it or not, he is the man in charge. Responsibility ends with him and his board. Kat Liebherr said she would only sell to someone who would take the club to the next level - or words to that effect. Well, she has a funny idea what the next level is - which is ironic for someone from Switzerland where to get anywhere you normally have to go up!

Then there is perception. True, there are many chairmen/owners who show a limited interest in the club that they choose to invest in, but in most cases, where the owner shows a genuine interest, connection and clear love of the game and affection for the club, the connection with the fan/supporter is usually better and more positive - of course, there are exceptions to this - Newcastle Utd for example.

Possibly, there is a slow re-building of our foundations, but it shouldn't have needed re-building it should have been one of progression and developing. Hand on heart, can anyone truly say, that Kat Liebherr and then Gao has really developed and continued the progression?

So, it is not whether Gao has done anything wrong, but it is difficult, on the face of it, to see what he has added to the club, though, I put some of the blame for this at the door of Kat Liebherr.

What there is though, is a disconnect between the running of the club and the fans/supporters and the feel good factor has gone. True, home form and results are a large part of that, but there is a lack of confidence and faith in those running the club or that they value the supporters. Most of that can be pushed aside when all is well on the pitch but it is magnified when they see the quality of the team being diminished and the results with it. We are not the worst run club by a long way and there is much to still be proud of, as I am, of Saints, but the perpetual dangling of the carrot and promising jam tomorrow loses it's appeal when season after season you are seeing the same issues and problems on and off the pitch.
Good example of Chinese Ownership on 22:31 - Feb 20 with 1658 viewsRon11

Good example of Chinese Ownership on 19:58 - Feb 20 by this_charming_man

So is anyone going to share what really is going on behind the scenes at the club as it’s seems only a select few are aware

From the outside looking in it seems to be running absolutely shambolicly and now they’re running around trying to plug the holes.

Let's hope for a result against Villa.
Good example of Chinese Ownership (n/t) on 22:32 - Feb 20 with 1656 viewsDellHero

Good example of Chinese Ownership on 19:58 - Feb 20 by this_charming_man

[Post edited 25 Feb 2020 12:46]
Good example of Chinese Ownership on 07:38 - Feb 21 with 1598 viewsthis_charming_man

Good example of Chinese Ownership on 22:31 - Feb 20 by Ron11

Let's hope for a result against Villa.

Im sure Goa is more than anyone as his whole future depends on us staying in the premier league (whilst spending the minimum possible to do so)

Good example of Chinese Ownership on 09:51 - Feb 21 with 1563 viewssaints__fan__73

Good example of Chinese Ownership on 07:38 - Feb 21 by this_charming_man

Im sure Goa is more than anyone as his whole future depends on us staying in the premier league (whilst spending the minimum possible to do so)

Exactly. Relegation means his £200m asset will be pretty much worthless as the wage bill alone will be more than Championship revenues can sustain and he will be left having to pay off his £200m loan by other means....

Good example of Chinese Ownership on 11:55 - Feb 21 with 1529 viewsSaintNick

Good example of Chinese Ownership on 09:51 - Feb 21 by saints__fan__73

Exactly. Relegation means his £200m asset will be pretty much worthless as the wage bill alone will be more than Championship revenues can sustain and he will be left having to pay off his £200m loan by other means....

Of course you know this because you have had many a meaningful conversation with him havent you !!!

So if this is the case then why would he gamble £200 million by taking these risks ?

After all people don't queue up to buy football clubs these days, perhaps its because he has looked at the Premier League in a more detached view than we do as fans.

He looks at the club who have spent multi millions yet still got relegated and realised that big signings is far from a guarantee of success.

If he looks at league positions he throws £80 million at the club to buy players and lets be blunt the likes of you measure his progress by how much we spend and in doing that we move up to 8th and make £20 million in extra revenue.

Is that good business ?

Wolves had an advantage in that they came from the championship and didnt have high wage bills, they could afford to buy in players in their first season back in the Premier, they then spend wisely in the summer and this is the trick it is not how much you spend but how you spend it.

The current board are trying to stabilise the club after we spent badly in the transfer window, yet the fans demand we buy buy buy.

This transfer window we could have bought, but we didn't need to panic buy, we could have sacked Hasenhuttl but we didn't panic, things arent anywhere near right yet, but they are improving.

6 years ago after 27 games we had 39 points and where creaming ourselves about how we were chasing the top 10 if we win tomorrow we will have 34 points yet people will be whinging because we havent got someone telling us that we are going to spend loads of money and make the champions league etc.

But now we have more foundation and are building slowly.

Saintsfan73 you know so much about Gao PM me about your obvious insider information and I will see how much you actually know, i guess a figure between 1-3%

Good example of Chinese Ownership on 13:22 - Feb 21 with 1512 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

From an outside perspective, this is how most football fans up and down the country will see this scenario.

1. Gao wanted to get his money out of China
2. Buying a football club in the richest league in the world at a low price seemed a good idea.
3. Soton had a history, some would say a conveyer-belt of talent coming out of their academy
4. The club were also buying cheap players and making a lot of money out of them.

Gao must have thought he was on to a sure winner, all he had to do was to keep the club in the PL, and any loans would be paid off in due time, and he would potentially have an even bigger asset.

What he didn’t see! If only he had been reading my posts over the years, he would have realised that the conveyer-belt was drying up, and the club wasn’t being run as well as previously.

Les Reed took credit for a system that had been set up years earlier, then he slowly dismantled it through ignorance and arrogance. He is like a modern day Mr Magoo, he literally was out of his depth, and taking credit for something he didn’t understand. The fact that he is now the FA Technical Director shows you what people actually know in the FA. He will be a disaster, and needs kicking out ASAP. The sad part being that we now have an abundance of young talent in the country, and he has just rocked up. A bit déjà vu really.

An interesting question would be whether fat kat realised what was going on. My guess is she was hedging her bets, and kept a retainer, and she hoped that emerging football talent was at worst a variable event that occasionally had lean years. What would be fascinating would be to hear conversations between her and Gao about the present conveyer-belt.

If the club system hadn’t have dried up, Gao would just be another non-descript chairman albeit from China.

The club got very lucky finding the current manager, and strangely the 0-9 thrashing may have been the best thing for the club this season. Obviously, from a Pompey perspective, it was an absolute chortle-fest.

Poll: Is Southampton FC a big club. Where do they rank?

Good example of Chinese Ownership on 14:25 - Feb 21 with 1484 viewsthis_charming_man

Good example of Chinese Ownership on 11:55 - Feb 21 by SaintNick

Of course you know this because you have had many a meaningful conversation with him havent you !!!

So if this is the case then why would he gamble £200 million by taking these risks ?

After all people don't queue up to buy football clubs these days, perhaps its because he has looked at the Premier League in a more detached view than we do as fans.

He looks at the club who have spent multi millions yet still got relegated and realised that big signings is far from a guarantee of success.

If he looks at league positions he throws £80 million at the club to buy players and lets be blunt the likes of you measure his progress by how much we spend and in doing that we move up to 8th and make £20 million in extra revenue.

Is that good business ?

Wolves had an advantage in that they came from the championship and didnt have high wage bills, they could afford to buy in players in their first season back in the Premier, they then spend wisely in the summer and this is the trick it is not how much you spend but how you spend it.

The current board are trying to stabilise the club after we spent badly in the transfer window, yet the fans demand we buy buy buy.

This transfer window we could have bought, but we didn't need to panic buy, we could have sacked Hasenhuttl but we didn't panic, things arent anywhere near right yet, but they are improving.

6 years ago after 27 games we had 39 points and where creaming ourselves about how we were chasing the top 10 if we win tomorrow we will have 34 points yet people will be whinging because we havent got someone telling us that we are going to spend loads of money and make the champions league etc.

But now we have more foundation and are building slowly.

Saintsfan73 you know so much about Gao PM me about your obvious insider information and I will see how much you actually know, i guess a figure between 1-3%

This stuff about fans demanding we buy buy buy is utter bo11ocks

The majority of fans are quite rightly p1ssed off with why we have to sell to buy players after 8 years of premier league money. To put it down to having to pay agents fees aand
Bonuses like you have done in the past is quite frankly laughable, as every single other club has to pay these too.

If we genuinely have to rely on selling our best players to generate cash to plug the holes in the squad then it ultimately proves the much lauded self sustainable model has failed.

I always remember your criticism of Cortese that he was more interested in profit that success on the football pitch and no one wants to see an open top bus parade with a profit cheque being waved. Yet now you appear to be endorsing just that as the club posts £70m profit the last two transfer windows but consistently fail to address major issues in the team
[Post edited 21 Feb 2020 14:58]

Good example of Chinese Ownership (n/t) on 14:32 - Feb 21 with 1475 viewsDellHero

Good example of Chinese Ownership on 13:22 - Feb 21 by 130yrs_and_one_Cup

From an outside perspective, this is how most football fans up and down the country will see this scenario.

1. Gao wanted to get his money out of China
2. Buying a football club in the richest league in the world at a low price seemed a good idea.
3. Soton had a history, some would say a conveyer-belt of talent coming out of their academy
4. The club were also buying cheap players and making a lot of money out of them.

Gao must have thought he was on to a sure winner, all he had to do was to keep the club in the PL, and any loans would be paid off in due time, and he would potentially have an even bigger asset.

What he didn’t see! If only he had been reading my posts over the years, he would have realised that the conveyer-belt was drying up, and the club wasn’t being run as well as previously.

Les Reed took credit for a system that had been set up years earlier, then he slowly dismantled it through ignorance and arrogance. He is like a modern day Mr Magoo, he literally was out of his depth, and taking credit for something he didn’t understand. The fact that he is now the FA Technical Director shows you what people actually know in the FA. He will be a disaster, and needs kicking out ASAP. The sad part being that we now have an abundance of young talent in the country, and he has just rocked up. A bit déjà vu really.

An interesting question would be whether fat kat realised what was going on. My guess is she was hedging her bets, and kept a retainer, and she hoped that emerging football talent was at worst a variable event that occasionally had lean years. What would be fascinating would be to hear conversations between her and Gao about the present conveyer-belt.

If the club system hadn’t have dried up, Gao would just be another non-descript chairman albeit from China.

The club got very lucky finding the current manager, and strangely the 0-9 thrashing may have been the best thing for the club this season. Obviously, from a Pompey perspective, it was an absolute chortle-fest.

[Post edited 25 Feb 2020 12:49]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024