Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Saints up for sale 06:46 - Mar 8 with 6552 viewsButty101

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/sport/southampton-put-up-for-sale-at-250m-3d5

So it was just an exercise in getting his money out of China.

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

Saints up for sale on 10:54 - Mar 8 with 1742 views1teeminants

Saints up for sale on 10:14 - Mar 8 by Ingskneeslide

It will be interesting to see if Nick backs our new overlords as unconditionally as he did Gao and Co or whether he did just have a particular affinity for the current regime for some reason. Hard to work out if his default position is now just to take to opposite view to the majority of fans out of resentment for not backing him with the Cortese stuff, or whether he was bought or duped. That may be a bit blunt but I find it ridiculous how the admin of a Saints site can be so anti-Saints fans.

A lot of Nicks posts are there for click bait and to get the board ticking over. Many of his posts are controversial on purpose and are not necessarily what he thinks.

Poll: Would you take an Fa Cup win if it meant relegation to the championship ?

Saints up for sale on 10:59 - Mar 8 with 1729 viewsUlsterBaz

Good news. Hopefully we can attract an owner who can genuinely push the club on a bit.
Saints up for sale on 11:02 - Mar 8 with 1722 viewsdirk_doone

Saints up for sale on 10:59 - Mar 8 by UlsterBaz

Good news. Hopefully we can attract an owner who can genuinely push the club on a bit.

But, with Kat in the way, how is Gao going to attract a buyer? She is going to be a massive stumbling block to any sale. She'll insist on retaining her 20% unless she gets paid a lot more than it's worth. It could well mean that Kat's 20% would cost as much to buy as Gao's 80%. Why do you think she hung on to it?
[Post edited 8 Mar 2020 11:06]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Saints up for sale on 11:06 - Mar 8 with 1716 viewsIngskneeslide

Saints up for sale on 10:54 - Mar 8 by 1teeminants

A lot of Nicks posts are there for click bait and to get the board ticking over. Many of his posts are controversial on purpose and are not necessarily what he thinks.

That’s worse though isn’t it?!
Saints up for sale on 11:10 - Mar 8 with 1709 viewsdirk_doone

N/T
[Post edited 8 Mar 2020 11:13]

Saints up for sale on 11:21 - Mar 8 with 1685 viewsBuggalugs

The Adrian Durham of mongboards?

Poll: How do YOU define a racist?

Saints up for sale on 11:30 - Mar 8 with 1663 viewsDorsetIan

Saints up for sale on 11:02 - Mar 8 by dirk_doone

But, with Kat in the way, how is Gao going to attract a buyer? She is going to be a massive stumbling block to any sale. She'll insist on retaining her 20% unless she gets paid a lot more than it's worth. It could well mean that Kat's 20% would cost as much to buy as Gao's 80%. Why do you think she hung on to it?
[Post edited 8 Mar 2020 11:06]

She's wanted out since her father died. I can't see her stake being a stumbling block. She's already received top dollar for her 80%. Why would she want to screw up a sale, just so she could stay tethered to a man who is taking the club and her remaining investment nowhere?

Also, I believe that her remaining shares represent the capitalisation of a debt she held when Gao purchased. Suspect that she will be happy to get back whatever that debt was worth. There may even be some sort of option in place to oblige her to sell given the right price.

Anyway, let's find a buyer first before worrying about the details!

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

Saints up for sale on 13:17 - Mar 8 with 1604 viewsNumber_58

As I understood it (from talking to someone who spoke to the main financial man at SM before Xmas) Liebherr had the legal option to pull the plug on Goa if he couldn't fulfil his financial obligations within a certain timeframe. From the lack of transfer activity in January it was pretty obvious that he either has no money or is unwilling or unable to spend it, which is why the club are so desperate to get all the loaned out players off the wage bill before they can buy. I also know that income from the off the field stuff like shirt sales, ticket sales and the corporate stuff has been very poor and I'm not sure if anyone really knows if our shirt sponsor actually exists. I honestly don't know where all the TV money has gone but I'm guessing the total wage bill and costs of running the stadium, training ground, media side, academies, etc, etc, must be astronomical. I got the impression that Kat would hopefully resume full control of Saints again if Goa was kicked out (and I personally think that would be a positive move), but if a broker's been called in to sell the club then I'm not sure that would necessarily be the case. Interesting times ahead...
Login to get fewer ads

Saints up for sale on 14:13 - Mar 8 with 1549 viewskingslandstand1

Saints up for sale on 13:17 - Mar 8 by Number_58

As I understood it (from talking to someone who spoke to the main financial man at SM before Xmas) Liebherr had the legal option to pull the plug on Goa if he couldn't fulfil his financial obligations within a certain timeframe. From the lack of transfer activity in January it was pretty obvious that he either has no money or is unwilling or unable to spend it, which is why the club are so desperate to get all the loaned out players off the wage bill before they can buy. I also know that income from the off the field stuff like shirt sales, ticket sales and the corporate stuff has been very poor and I'm not sure if anyone really knows if our shirt sponsor actually exists. I honestly don't know where all the TV money has gone but I'm guessing the total wage bill and costs of running the stadium, training ground, media side, academies, etc, etc, must be astronomical. I got the impression that Kat would hopefully resume full control of Saints again if Goa was kicked out (and I personally think that would be a positive move), but if a broker's been called in to sell the club then I'm not sure that would necessarily be the case. Interesting times ahead...

Well at least following Saints is never boring!!
Saints up for sale on 22:34 - Mar 8 with 1380 viewsDorsetIan

Saints up for sale on 13:17 - Mar 8 by Number_58

This is really helpful and supports the impression that most of us had already guessed a long time ago - no money & something not quite right.

You are right, you don't get too much change out of the TV money once the wages have been paid, and if you're right about the other stuff, the accounts are going to be very interesting reading.

In one of his recent pro-Gao pieces, Nick was explaining how the brilliant businessman Gao was going to help us grow by increasing our 'corporate' income streams. It was always a bit of a stretch to think that the man who couldn't even get the replica shirts out on time was a marketing genius. Binning a sponsorship from Virgin in favour of a Computer Science student in a Shanghai internet cafe, was, yes, another clue.

Interesting times indeed...

Saints up for sale on 22:54 - Mar 8 with 1363 viewsBridders2

Really pleased to be seeing the back of Gao, but the Newcastle situation can be seen as a benchmark. Ashley couldn't get a buyer at £300m, a club with huge support, a great history and a 52,000 stadium, which makes Gao's £250m look rather over optermistic.
Saints up for sale on 22:59 - Mar 8 with 1354 viewsMattFinish

Saints up for sale on 08:37 - Mar 8 by this_charming_man

Can’t see this being easy. Far better value to be had buying a championship of even league one club than spending £250m on a struggling premier league club with a ridiculously high wage bill. So much for our brilliant self sustainable model and our chairman who is it in for the long haul wanting to retire to the area. What an absolute disaster Goa has been, comfortably the worst owner in the league and clearly never here to take us on as a club.

Most Championship clubs are in massive debt
Saints up for sale on 03:36 - Mar 9 with 1298 viewsMarcus_y

Saints up for sale on 22:54 - Mar 8 by Bridders2

Really pleased to be seeing the back of Gao, but the Newcastle situation can be seen as a benchmark. Ashley couldn't get a buyer at £300m, a club with huge support, a great history and a 52,000 stadium, which makes Gao's £250m look rather over optermistic.

To be honest, I am not sure why Newcastle are worth more than us at all. Do they have training facilities and an academy as good as we do? As for the size of the stadium, this is not really important when valuing the asset of the club as an investor would view it as what the land is worth and i doubt very much the land SJP is on is worth more than SMS. Plus it would cost a whole load more to knock down SJP and build on it should the club go bust.

We are gaining an income similar to theirs i would think from EPL finishes etc. I doubt there is much in it in terms of asset values of players.

You're nothing but a lot of talk n'a' badge.

Saints up for sale on 07:58 - Mar 9 with 1212 viewsTripleNiemi

Saints up for sale on 22:34 - Mar 8 by DorsetIan

This is really helpful and supports the impression that most of us had already guessed a long time ago - no money & something not quite right.

You are right, you don't get too much change out of the TV money once the wages have been paid, and if you're right about the other stuff, the accounts are going to be very interesting reading.

In one of his recent pro-Gao pieces, Nick was explaining how the brilliant businessman Gao was going to help us grow by increasing our 'corporate' income streams. It was always a bit of a stretch to think that the man who couldn't even get the replica shirts out on time was a marketing genius. Binning a sponsorship from Virgin in favour of a Computer Science student in a Shanghai internet cafe, was, yes, another clue.

Interesting times indeed...

Quote......

" In one of his recent pro-Gao pieces, Nick was explaining how the brilliant businessman Gao was going to help us grow by increasing our 'corporate' income streams " ....End Quote.

Surely we were flying high on the 'corporate income' side of things as that was what Krueger said he was working on.......no??
[Post edited 9 Mar 2020 8:20]

Ready and waiting to mop up those European places......

Saints up for sale on 08:23 - Mar 9 with 1183 viewsRipleys_revenge

I don’t see this as good news at all. Not because I like gao (far from it) but because I think it’ll be very hard to find a buyer at this time and will only increase uncertainty over the long term. It will also affect our supposed transfer business in the summer (if that was ever going to happen anyway) and I can’t see how it’ll make Ralph’s job any easier. I think Ralph has had to put up with a lot since he’s been here and I suspect he’s been sold a few promises that haven’t been fulfilled. The chances of them being fulfilled this summer now seem to have got a lot smaller.

We are in quite choppy seas and if people can’t see that / don’t want to see it then were truly
Up sh!t creek. Gao has been absolutely awful for this club. Strongly suspect Ralph will at some point turn round and say he’s had enough - to have us above the relegation zone with the players he has at his disposal is some achievement imo. If gao were to sell and leave now then fine, but I just don’t see that happening and it could result in some serious issues for Saints
Saints up for sale on 08:38 - Mar 9 with 1166 viewsdirk_doone

"It will also affect our supposed transfer business in the summer."

I doubt it will change what was going to happen in the summer transfer window anyway. The business of selling our best players will continue unabated and I don't think this will make much difference. The only time there was ever any significant delay to a player sale was when Gao wouldn't let Kat sell van Dijk before he took over but that only delayed the sale by a few months.

After so much money was wasted on dud replacements, like Hoedt and Carrillo, who then had to be loaned out, a new policy of replacing players sold with loanees, like Danso and Walker-Peters, seems to be in place already.
[Post edited 9 Mar 2020 8:47]

Saints up for sale on 08:49 - Mar 9 with 1152 viewsButty101

According to radio solent this morning, they were reporting that the club is not up for sale and that its looking for investment.

Saints up for sale on 08:51 - Mar 9 with 1148 viewsdirk_doone

Saints up for sale on 08:49 - Mar 9 by Butty101

According to radio solent this morning, they were reporting that the club is not up for sale and that its looking for investment.

That means Kat won't be budged so only a share of the club can be sold. Fat chance of any mug buying into that arrangement. She has got Gao over a barrel. She can demand as much for her 20% as he gets for his 80%. Otherwise, she won't sell.
[Post edited 9 Mar 2020 9:10]

Saints up for sale on 09:30 - Mar 9 with 1094 viewsthis_charming_man

Saints up for sale on 08:49 - Mar 9 by Butty101

that's what Kat said too, we are up for sale but as others have said with the club being owned by 2 people any deal will be difficult to broker and I fear that Goa will naively think he's going to get his money back or even more. It took Kat years to find a buyer and we ended up with this mug. WIth us looking at making a loss I can only see this going one way with more profit needed from player sales meaning anyone we've got who is worth anything will be sold on.

TUIs only reliable source of ITk news. #bewareoffalseprophets
Poll: Who hates the tories the most?

Saints up for sale on 09:34 - Mar 9 with 1090 viewsDorsetIan

If the key background to this is (as has been suggested on here) that Gao defaulted on one of his payments for the shares, then the current situation will be extremely messy and it's therefore probably no surprise that they can't make their minds up whether the club is up for sale or just 'looking for investment'.

One thing is for certain, each of the shareholders will be doing their utmost to protect their position.

Saints up for sale on 10:08 - Mar 9 with 1048 viewsButty101

Saints up for sale on 09:30 - Mar 9 by this_charming_man

that's what Kat said too, we are up for sale but as others have said with the club being owned by 2 people any deal will be difficult to broker and I fear that Goa will naively think he's going to get his money back or even more. It took Kat years to find a buyer and we ended up with this mug. WIth us looking at making a loss I can only see this going one way with more profit needed from player sales meaning anyone we've got who is worth anything will be sold on.

What players have we got that would raise money? We havent got players that the top 6 court. Players moving sideways and down are difficult to move on due to wages.

If we are posting a loss, that is going to throw up a lot of questions as to where the money has gone.

Saints up for sale on 10:17 - Mar 9 with 1039 viewsthis_charming_man

Saints up for sale on 10:08 - Mar 9 by Butty101

What players have we got that would raise money? We havent got players that the top 6 court. Players moving sideways and down are difficult to move on due to wages.

If we are posting a loss, that is going to throw up a lot of questions as to where the money has gone.

Reckon we'd get a few takers for Redmond, Hojejerg, Ward-Prowse, Bertrand and Ings. Could probably sell Adams back to a championship club or newly promoted one. They we can replace them with academy players as the pathway to the first team would be open and developing young players is in our DNA. We've got Sims, Smallbone, Slattery, Vokins and N'duludu or whatever he's called to step into their places and fulfil Markus dream of a premier league team with 50% of academy grads.

If we throw up a loss it just shows Goas commitment and how unsustainable our sustainable business model is.
[Post edited 9 Mar 2020 10:19]

TUIs only reliable source of ITk news. #bewareoffalseprophets
Poll: Who hates the tories the most?

Saints up for sale on 11:52 - Mar 9 with 970 viewsSonicBoom

What does "looking for investment" mean?

My guess is that Gao either does not have any more to put into the club so he's looking for others to come in and take a share to lessen his exposure.
It also suggests that whilst KL still has her 20% she isn't interested in growing that share.

I'd just like to stick up for Nick a bit. A lot of this thread seems to be having a pop at Nick for things he's said. He doesn't speak for the club so all he's done is offer his own opinion on Gao and the ownership. If you don't agree fair enough, but to slate him as if he's an official spokesperson of the club is plain wrong.
This is a forum for different opinions. People should remember that cos if I were Nick I'd wonder why I bother.
Saints up for sale on 12:43 - Mar 9 with 925 viewsA1079

Saints up for sale on 11:52 - Mar 9 by SonicBoom

What does "looking for investment" mean?

My guess is that Gao either does not have any more to put into the club so he's looking for others to come in and take a share to lessen his exposure.
It also suggests that whilst KL still has her 20% she isn't interested in growing that share.

I'd just like to stick up for Nick a bit. A lot of this thread seems to be having a pop at Nick for things he's said. He doesn't speak for the club so all he's done is offer his own opinion on Gao and the ownership. If you don't agree fair enough, but to slate him as if he's an official spokesperson of the club is plain wrong.
This is a forum for different opinions. People should remember that cos if I were Nick I'd wonder why I bother.

Agree with yours and Ripleys comments.

As regards Nick, he does a good job of this forum and I enjoy interacting with the various posters or reading their myriad of opinions. Mine, Nick's, everyone's, is just an opinion and sometimes you learn things you did not know and sometimes it helps adjust or formulate a view. There are times when I don't agree with Nick and I may or may not challenge what he says in the same way, i accept people can challenge my comments.

I suppose if there is one thing we can agree on, is that SFC is far from being a steady ship and this will add to the sense of unrest and uncertainty in the club which will not serve us well for the remainder of this season and possibly the next.
Saints up for sale on 13:10 - Mar 9 with 888 viewsBazza

In a normal company situation any shares can be sold by the shareholder piecemeal or as a whole. Is there some Saints fc company restriction that would stop Gao (or KL) selling any part of their holding to any new investor?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024