Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
So, with Germany.... 17:19 - Mar 17 with 1956 viewsTripleNiemi

....closing its borders with France, Austria and Switzerland, does this not go completely against the philosophies of the European Union?

I thought the 'free movement' of EU citizens, trade and goods was what the EU was all about.

Hypocritical??

Ready and waiting to mop up those European places......

So, with Germany.... on 20:23 - Mar 17 with 1440 viewskernow

I'm a pacifist but reserve the right to wage war if my home and loved ones are threatened by an external aggressor.
Does that make me a hypocrite?
If so, so what?!
So, with Germany.... on 21:19 - Mar 17 with 1399 viewsBison

I don't want to get political or take sides on this but a genuine question regarding the EU and what countries pay into it. It seems that each country is doin its own thing in this crisis with varied actions taken by each one when it comes to supporting its own citizens and businesses .

Apart from the them declaring that all travel to the EU is banned , although each country also doing their own thing on this , what have they actually done for the member states or enforced their rules. Are countries still paying into the EU coffers whilst this crisis is ongoing ?

Trust no one in a circus.
Poll: Who do you blame for saints not winning every game ?

So, with Germany.... on 21:48 - Mar 17 with 1379 viewsgrumpy

So, with Germany.... on 21:19 - Mar 17 by Bison

I don't want to get political or take sides on this but a genuine question regarding the EU and what countries pay into it. It seems that each country is doin its own thing in this crisis with varied actions taken by each one when it comes to supporting its own citizens and businesses .

Apart from the them declaring that all travel to the EU is banned , although each country also doing their own thing on this , what have they actually done for the member states or enforced their rules. Are countries still paying into the EU coffers whilst this crisis is ongoing ?

'what have they actually done for the member states or enforced their rules. Are countries still paying into the EU coffers whilst this crisis is ongoing ?'

If you asking the question,then you don't know.
So, with Germany.... on 21:53 - Mar 17 with 1375 viewsBison

So, with Germany.... on 21:48 - Mar 17 by grumpy

'what have they actually done for the member states or enforced their rules. Are countries still paying into the EU coffers whilst this crisis is ongoing ?'

If you asking the question,then you don't know.

Yes Grumpy that's the point I don't know. From months of EU being on the news non-stop I've not heard anything from or about them since the shit hit the fan. Plenty from governments but the EU itself gone very quiet , it's like they just a fair weather club. Or have I missed something feel free to enlighten me.

So, with Germany.... on 22:07 - Mar 17 with 1362 viewsBison

Ok Grumps had a google and nothing but this was interesting -

Member states are taking similar - but different - courses of action to fight the spread of coronavirus, despite the efforts of the European Commission to coordinate a common EU response.

The role of the commission is mainly to support EU countries and provide recommendations based on scientific evidence and proportionality.

However, member states are taking largely uncoordinated, piecemeal and even contradictory measures - which ultimately might undermine the common efforts to fight the outbreak.
Last week, EU health ministers urge solidarity after Germany, France, and the Czech Republic blocked the export of anti-virus gear.

Notice this -

Last week, EU health ministers urge solidarity after Germany, France, and the Czech Republic blocked the export of anti-virus gear.

All for one and all that.

So, with Germany.... on 22:25 - Mar 17 with 1350 viewsgrumpy

So, with Germany.... on 22:07 - Mar 17 by Bison

Ok Grumps had a google and nothing but this was interesting -

Member states are taking similar - but different - courses of action to fight the spread of coronavirus, despite the efforts of the European Commission to coordinate a common EU response.

The role of the commission is mainly to support EU countries and provide recommendations based on scientific evidence and proportionality.

However, member states are taking largely uncoordinated, piecemeal and even contradictory measures - which ultimately might undermine the common efforts to fight the outbreak.

Notice this -

All for one and all that.

https://ec.europa.eu/info/live-work-travel-eu/health/coronavirus-response_en
So, with Germany.... on 22:31 - Mar 17 with 1338 viewsBison

So, with Germany.... on 22:25 - Mar 17 by grumpy

https://ec.europa.eu/info/live-work-travel-eu/health/coronavirus-response_en

Brilliant a video message from Ursula , whilst in reality member countries are refusing to help out other member countries by hoarding medical goods and ignoring all the rules.

I guess you struggled to find anything useful as well then. Well worth £1,000,000,000 a month , does that video over take Thriller as the most expensive video ever made !

So, with Germany.... on 22:33 - Mar 17 with 1334 viewsIngskneeslide

I wouldn’t read anything into the EU closing it’s borders, it’s all just media-driven hysteria etc. Same with the 2500 dead Italians. I mean, more people die per year from combing their hair lol! What’s the big deal?
Login to get fewer ads

So, with Germany.... on 23:01 - Mar 17 with 1316 viewsMessysaints

So, with Germany.... on 22:33 - Mar 17 by Ingskneeslide

I wouldn’t read anything into the EU closing it’s borders, it’s all just media-driven hysteria etc. Same with the 2500 dead Italians. I mean, more people die per year from combing their hair lol! What’s the big deal?

I heard, France is going to hold toilet roll to ransom unless we give them fish.. True story
So, with Germany.... on 23:08 - Mar 17 with 1295 viewsBison

So, with Germany.... on 23:01 - Mar 17 by Messysaints

I heard, France is going to hold toilet roll to ransom unless we give them fish.. True story

Well they do have a surplus of the stuff since 98% of French households have bidets .

I heard the Germans are rebuilding the Siegfried Line out of unsold BMW's.

So, with Germany.... on 23:22 - Mar 17 with 1287 viewsgrumpy

So, with Germany.... on 23:08 - Mar 17 by Bison

Well they do have a surplus of the stuff since 98% of French households have bidets .

Never mind Trump will save us. On a serious note the EU is not perfect, they would admit that themselves, running 20 odd countries never would be. They are sending safety supplies to Italy, are we?
So, with Germany.... on 23:25 - Mar 17 with 1286 viewsBison

So, with Germany.... on 23:08 - Mar 17 by Bison

In response to the Germans the French have just struck a deal with the Irish who have an unholy surplus due to St Patricks day being cancelled.

They have started construction of The Magners Line.

So, with Germany.... on 23:33 - Mar 17 with 1278 viewsBison

So, with Germany.... on 23:22 - Mar 17 by grumpy

Never mind Trump will save us. On a serious note the EU is not perfect, they would admit that themselves, running 20 odd countries never would be. They are sending safety supplies to Italy, are we?

Looks like the Chinese got there first....

https://foreignpolicy.com/2020/03/14/coronavirus-eu-abandoning-italy-china-aid/

So, with Germany.... on 23:44 - Mar 17 with 1269 viewsgrumpy

So, with Germany.... on 23:33 - Mar 17 by Bison

Looks like the Chinese got there first....

https://foreignpolicy.com/2020/03/14/coronavirus-eu-abandoning-italy-china-aid/

Well they started it.That report is 4 days old.
So, with Germany.... on 23:50 - Mar 17 with 1267 viewsBison

So, with Germany.... on 23:44 - Mar 17 by grumpy

Well they started it.That report is 4 days old.

Well they started it , so you dislike Germans for WW2 !

Ok Grumps if you have not read it , it mentions March 14th and look at figures. Our closest neighbours and all that , read it mate -

Last month, when COVID-19 began spreading rapidly in Italy, the country appealed for help via the Emergency Response Coordination Centre. “We asked for supplies of medical equipment, and the European Commission forwarded the appeal to the member states,” Italy’s permanent representative to the EU, Maurizio Massari, told me. “But it didn’t work.”

So far, not a single EU member state has sent Italy the needed supplies. That’s tragic for a country with 21,157 coronavirus infections and 1,441 deaths as of March 14, and with medical staff working under severe shortages of supplies.

What were the wonderful EU waiting for ?

So, with Germany.... on 00:08 - Mar 18 with 1251 viewsBison

The outbreak risks overwhelming Italian hospitals and some key supplies are running low.

In contrast to China, Italy's partners in the European Union earlier this month refused Rome's requests for help with medical supplies as they looked to stockpile face masks and other equipment to help their own citizens.

(Writing by Crispian Balmer; Editing by Gareth Jones)

https://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2020/03/13/world/europe/13reuters-health-coronav

I'll stop now I think I have made my point.

So, with Germany.... on 00:12 - Mar 18 with 1248 viewsgrumpy

So, with Germany.... on 23:50 - Mar 17 by Bison

Well they started it , so you dislike Germans for WW2 !

Ok Grumps if you have not read it , it mentions March 14th and look at figures. Our closest neighbours and all that , read it mate -

Last month, when COVID-19 began spreading rapidly in Italy, the country appealed for help via the Emergency Response Coordination Centre. “We asked for supplies of medical equipment, and the European Commission forwarded the appeal to the member states,” Italy’s permanent representative to the EU, Maurizio Massari, told me. “But it didn’t work.”

So far, not a single EU member state has sent Italy the needed supplies. That’s tragic for a country with 21,157 coronavirus infections and 1,441 deaths as of March 14, and with medical staff working under severe shortages of supplies.

What were the wonderful EU waiting for ?

Yes! I do dislike Germans for WW2 but you have to move on.

The EU has let Italy down and they are trying to rectify that now.

This is a very fast moving pandemic that has caught the world unawares,wrongs are trying to be corrected.
So, with Germany.... on 01:04 - Mar 18 with 1238 viewsBison

So, with Germany.... on 00:12 - Mar 18 by grumpy

Yes! I do dislike Germans for WW2 but you have to move on.

The EU has let Italy down and they are trying to rectify that now.

This is a very fast moving pandemic that has caught the world unawares,wrongs are trying to be corrected.

I totally agree Sir and I think the world will be a very different place when we eventually get through it. This crisis is showing that people and nations will realise you have to look after number one , ideals are one thing but you can't rely on them when the chips are down.

My original question was an honest question but you inspired me to research my own question and I was shocked. All across the world people are desperate to get home , suddenly they don't feel a global or dare I say a European citizen anymore. Things are going to be a right mess when the fog clears , the EU will not have the sway over countries they had 2 months ago , it's going to be everyone for themselves as Italy and Spain ( the Chinese were there first as well) have found out.

I thought the EU would break eventually but did not expect it this soon. They were discussing EU budgets for the next 10 years before the virus hit , with countries borrowing huge amounts of money against their GDP ( their citizens and businesses taxes ) their will be little appetite to fund a 27 state superstate to govern them when the evidence shows that when the chips are down it's everyone for themselves anyway.

Another observation is when you see pictures on the news from the locked down countries and the people in flats hanging out of their balconies you see the tricolore , the Bandera de España or the il Tricolore and soon no doubt here it will be the Union Flag , not a EU flag in sight which we have gotten so used too over the last 3 and a half years.

When this is done and dusted their will be a huge amount of National pride all across Europe and the world for that matter that we got through it all but I will be surprised if the Blue and Gold of the EU is prominent in any celebrations , and why should it ? They have so far been as effective as a chocolate tea pot.

So, with Germany.... on 09:20 - Mar 18 with 1127 viewsgrumpy

So, with Germany.... on 01:04 - Mar 18 by Bison

I totally agree Sir and I think the world will be a very different place when we eventually get through it. This crisis is showing that people and nations will realise you have to look after number one , ideals are one thing but you can't rely on them when the chips are down.

My original question was an honest question but you inspired me to research my own question and I was shocked. All across the world people are desperate to get home , suddenly they don't feel a global or dare I say a European citizen anymore. Things are going to be a right mess when the fog clears , the EU will not have the sway over countries they had 2 months ago , it's going to be everyone for themselves as Italy and Spain ( the Chinese were there first as well) have found out.

I thought the EU would break eventually but did not expect it this soon. They were discussing EU budgets for the next 10 years before the virus hit , with countries borrowing huge amounts of money against their GDP ( their citizens and businesses taxes ) their will be little appetite to fund a 27 state superstate to govern them when the evidence shows that when the chips are down it's everyone for themselves anyway.

Another observation is when you see pictures on the news from the locked down countries and the people in flats hanging out of their balconies you see the tricolore , the Bandera de España or the il Tricolore and soon no doubt here it will be the Union Flag , not a EU flag in sight which we have gotten so used too over the last 3 and a half years.

When this is done and dusted their will be a huge amount of National pride all across Europe and the world for that matter that we got through it all but I will be surprised if the Blue and Gold of the EU is prominent in any celebrations , and why should it ? They have so far been as effective as a chocolate tea pot.

The EU will not break up.
Everyone is going through a very difficult time but will come through this.
To bring flags into this is quite honestly ridiculous,everyone in the EU has their own identity.
The reason that there were so many EU flags over the last 3 and a half years here was that there was that there was a referendum and the ones that showed them were not being unpatriotic on the contrary they thought remaining in the EU was in the best interests of their country.
The reaction of the EU to this virus has not been good, but apart from China who started it,whose has?
So, with Germany.... on 09:52 - Mar 18 with 1101 viewsOccasional_Showers

So, with Germany.... on 09:20 - Mar 18 by grumpy

The EU will not break up.
Everyone is going through a very difficult time but will come through this.
To bring flags into this is quite honestly ridiculous,everyone in the EU has their own identity.
The reason that there were so many EU flags over the last 3 and a half years here was that there was that there was a referendum and the ones that showed them were not being unpatriotic on the contrary they thought remaining in the EU was in the best interests of their country.
The reaction of the EU to this virus has not been good, but apart from China who started it,whose has?

The cost of this pandemic will finish off the single currency. Countries like Italy will bring it down.

Poll: Did you break any lockdown rules?

So, with Germany.... on 11:37 - Mar 18 with 1069 viewsDorsetIan

Health care across the EU is primarily the responsibility of member states.

Contrary to popular belief, the EU is not a superstate that controls everything for its members.

Given that the EU has neither the authority nor the administrative infrastructure to deal with health issues, it would be very surprising if the EU was getting directly involved.

Likewise, the EU is not mad. If borders need to close to protect public health, there are not going to be voices demanding that the free market must not be impeded.

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

So, with Germany.... on 11:50 - Mar 18 with 1057 viewsfranniesTache

There's nothing more annoying than people trying to politcally point score with a pandemic, this isn't the time to beat your pro or anti EU drum, nor is it the time to wave your flag for your favourite political party, i personally couldn't give a running f*ck who sorts this out as long as it gets sorted, and every single person involved in helping people, in getting us through this crisis, irregardless of politics or nation, or supra nation, gets my full backing.
So, with Germany.... on 12:00 - Mar 18 with 1041 viewsBicester_North

So, with Germany.... on 11:50 - Mar 18 by franniesTache

There's nothing more annoying than people trying to politcally point score with a pandemic, this isn't the time to beat your pro or anti EU drum, nor is it the time to wave your flag for your favourite political party, i personally couldn't give a running f*ck who sorts this out as long as it gets sorted, and every single person involved in helping people, in getting us through this crisis, irregardless of politics or nation, or supra nation, gets my full backing.

Well said mate

Poll: Who do you feel most sorry for

So, with Germany.... on 12:09 - Mar 18 with 1028 viewsMessysaints

So, with Germany.... on 11:37 - Mar 18 by DorsetIan

Health care across the EU is primarily the responsibility of member states.

Contrary to popular belief, the EU is not a superstate that controls everything for its members.

Given that the EU has neither the authority nor the administrative infrastructure to deal with health issues, it would be very surprising if the EU was getting directly involved.

Likewise, the EU is not mad. If borders need to close to protect public health, there are not going to be voices demanding that the free market must not be impeded.

Think Ireland, Scotland and Wales would be happy if we closed our boarder with them and kept the medical supplies they needed from them? And refused to trade every thing they needed to help contain and protect them self's from the virus?

Some thing tells me they would be furious with us... But let's not get into this as you say....

Good thing our good friends are more than friends but family, this is why the UK will never break up. European countries care only for them selfs, they don't give to hoots about any 1 else. Closer union my back side, more like closer exploitation....
So, with Germany.... on 12:19 - Mar 18 with 1016 viewsBison

So, with Germany.... on 11:50 - Mar 18 by franniesTache

I am not trying to point score , we are out I was genuinely curious what they were doing and was shocked to find out what was actually happening. Surely you don't want to close down debate do you ? My opinion is that this unprecedented situation will not bode well for them that's all. You may well think that when everything returns to normal than it will be business as usual , that fine , I don't think it will.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024