Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Peter Madden 22:26 - Apr 13 with 3409 viewsjudd

Reading reports on facebook that he has passed away.

Met him in his old pub years ago and was a true gent.

RIP.

Poll: What is it to be then?

Peter Madden on 22:38 - Apr 13 with 3384 viewsTalkingSutty

Terrible news. Keith Hill rightly takes all the plaudits, he was brilliant for the Club, but there wouldn’t have been a Club if it wasn’t for Peter Madden. The Club was on its knees when he was the manager and very close to going bust. RIP Peter Madden, a Dale legend.
Peter Madden on 22:42 - Apr 13 with 3374 views442Dale

Sad news. Echo what TS says, a vital part of the club’s history.

RIP.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Peter Madden on 22:48 - Apr 13 with 3354 viewsSuddenLad

Peter Madden was a great bloke. He kept this club alive and we owe him a great debt. He was always ready for a chat about Dale, football in general, or even asking about things in general.

Very sad that he has passed away. I hope the club recognise his contribution in a way that befits the role he played.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Peter Madden on 23:13 - Apr 13 with 3331 views442Dale

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Peter Madden on 23:58 - Apr 13 with 3295 viewsD_Alien

Tophams Tavern in Smithy Bridge was regularly packed when he took over after his stint with Dale. His daughter Carol was in my training group up at Birch Hill, and loads of hospital staff used to go in there. He was a top bloke, and a pretty decent manager. RIP

[Post edited 14 Apr 2020 0:00]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Peter Madden on 04:14 - Apr 14 with 3245 viewspioneer

Very sad news. He got every drop of talent and effort out of a very limited playing squad.

We stayed in the league due to the efforts of several people, but Peter was at the head of that small group.

A lovely fellow who was not one to blow his own trumpet - his actions and achievements did all his talking for him.
Peter Madden on 07:48 - Apr 14 with 3181 viewsRaymondJohn

Used to live next door but 2 to Peter and family, lovely man great family, my thoughts are with you all xxxx
Peter Madden on 11:41 - Apr 14 with 2999 viewsbrownale

Great guy used to live down the street from me Marne Crescent used to take training sessions for all the local kids during closed season up at the ground real task master.Great friend of the family our thoughts are with you all at this sad time.
R.I.P.
Login to get fewer ads

Peter Madden on 13:48 - Apr 14 with 2901 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Peter Madden on 11:41 - Apr 14 by brownale

Great guy used to live down the street from me Marne Crescent used to take training sessions for all the local kids during closed season up at the ground real task master.Great friend of the family our thoughts are with you all at this sad time.
R.I.P.

RIP Big Fella.

I remember those training sessions in the height of summer....went to quite a few and they were very well patronised.Did PM have a son call David(?) who was on the Club's books but did not make a first team appearance? I remember a few players used to turn up as well....Spoonhead for example.

Then we used to trundle off up Ings Lane to the pitch (now sadly built over) for a twenty a-side game till it got dark!

Good days

Thanks PM!
Peter Madden on 13:57 - Apr 14 with 2889 viewsD_Alien

Peter Madden on 13:48 - Apr 14 by Yorkshire_Dale

RIP Big Fella.

I remember those training sessions in the height of summer....went to quite a few and they were very well patronised.Did PM have a son call David(?) who was on the Club's books but did not make a first team appearance? I remember a few players used to turn up as well....Spoonhead for example.

Then we used to trundle off up Ings Lane to the pitch (now sadly built over) for a twenty a-side game till it got dark!

Good days

Thanks PM!

Regarding PM's son, yes

Peter Madden on 20:38 - Apr 14 with 2686 viewsrhf

A sad day, Pete saved us in the early 80s, that achievement is up there with the best at dale, he took over when we only had 3 players on contract, no money of course, and somehow got a good team together spending only 2k on keeper Graeme Crawford famously paid in instalments! He had signed Brian Taylor when caretaker in 78/79 and signed Alan Jones, Peter Burke, Barry Wellings and Eugene Martinez to name but a few, we knew if we finished in the bottom 4 that year we were out, but were never in danger! He was a real dale man with time for everyone, RIP Pete.
Peter Madden on 16:35 - Apr 15 with 2464 viewsD_Alien

https://www.rochdaleafc.co.uk/news/2020/april/petermadden_markhodkinson/

Peter Madden on 17:05 - Apr 15 with 2435 viewsforeverhopefulDale

Farewell Big Pete, thanks for all you did to save us.

Poll: Will you be signing up to Direct Debit for Goldbond?

Peter Madden on 20:08 - Apr 15 with 2356 viewspioneer

I am pretty sure his first stint at Rochdale was as assistant manager under Dick Conner and the photo is of him and big Reg on a hill run during that spell.

He was part of the clear out at the end of 72-3 season and went up north to manage Darlington before returning to Dale.
Peter Madden on 20:22 - Apr 15 with 2341 viewsD_Alien

Peter Madden on 20:08 - Apr 15 by pioneer

I am pretty sure his first stint at Rochdale was as assistant manager under Dick Conner and the photo is of him and big Reg on a hill run during that spell.

He was part of the clear out at the end of 72-3 season and went up north to manage Darlington before returning to Dale.

Thanks pioneer!

I've been looking at that photo and thinking "hang on a minute, that's Reg with him!" Puts it into context
[Post edited 15 Apr 2020 20:24]

Peter Madden on 12:31 - Apr 16 with 2181 viewsRooleyMoorBlue

Very sad news. Peter was the man who saved our beloved club from extinction, despite what others may say, as he as caretaker manager, not Doug Collins, made the signings that enabled us to make the "Great Escape" in 1978 I think it was. Peter gave me a trial later on but unfortunately for me Geoff Thomas had one at the same time. He did later try to poach me when running Tophams, which gave me immense pride at the time, although I didn`t sign.

I last spoke to Peter after the Rotherham game at home when Peter was invited by both clubs as a guest. He remembered my name and everything else which was surprising, but that was the kind of guy he was so perhaps it shouldn`t have surprised me at all.
He was a true gent, played the game with passion and no little talent, as Shankley tried to sign him, twice, for Liverpool in the early 60`s. He managed in the same way and I will always be grateful for what he did for our club.

My deepest condolences to his family and close friends at this sad time.

R.I.P. Peter
Peter Madden on 02:34 - Apr 17 with 2041 viewsdavidab2202

Very sad news indeed.
Bumped into him on Ripon Racecourse in summer of 1978 and had a chat with him about Dale and then asked him which horse he fancied for the next race.Gave me the tip "McQueen".Thought he had only picked it because of football connection(for those not old enough Gordon McQueen was a Centre half for Leeds and Man Utd).
Got to say he was a winner that day as well and my horse could well still be running.
I lived in Smithy Bridge when he ran Tophams,certainly a half decent pub
R I P
Peter Madden on 08:04 - Apr 17 with 2004 viewsHuddersdale1

Peter Madden on 02:34 - Apr 17 by davidab2202

Very sad news indeed.
Bumped into him on Ripon Racecourse in summer of 1978 and had a chat with him about Dale and then asked him which horse he fancied for the next race.Gave me the tip "McQueen".Thought he had only picked it because of football connection(for those not old enough Gordon McQueen was a Centre half for Leeds and Man Utd).
Got to say he was a winner that day as well and my horse could well still be running.
I lived in Smithy Bridge when he ran Tophams,certainly a half decent pub
R I P

I think Peter liked the horses, he used to give my Dad tips at the bookies in Lboro.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024