Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
USA 16:13 - Apr 18 with 6446 viewsBicester_North

Is the media over exaggerating about how mental it is over there or is it really that messed up?

There doesn’t seem to be anyone really in control, with Trump seemingly urging people to get out and protest in groups against some state governors, some turning up armed etc. Their whole government set up and massive political division seems to have been exposed badly by the virus situation. Mad place.

Poll: Who do you feel most sorry for

USA on 01:38 - Apr 20 with 1227 viewsstrikerace

USA on 00:25 - Apr 20 by washington_saint

First of all, as ever much utter tosh being spoken by people with their agendas.

I live here in the US and, outside of New York and New Jersey this has not been the massive crisis the media and the left portrayed. Trump speaks very poorly a lot but most of the time he is right.

People have started protesting because suddenly 25 million find themselves unemployed, compared to 2 million 4 weeks ago. This despite many, many areas not having a problem. Add to that Americans do not appreciate their rights being impinged: and many Governors are doing that (Republican and Democrat) even where there is little issue with the virus.

A great example is the MSM calling the GOvernor of South Dakota reckless and letting people die due to her negligence with SOuth Dakota being a hotspot. ALl because she has taken the Swedish model in a sparsely populated State. And in fact, it is not a hotspot with one meat processing plant accounting for most of the cases - and they would have been working anyway as it was deemed an essential business.

Add in he (Trump) was called racist for blocking flights from China and the left are looking pretty stupid.

In my State (Virginia) we have a 'stay at home' order. Today was beautiful and I can tell you people were not staying at home. These lockdowns cannot last indefinitely (some morons calling for an 18 month shutdown) and people are starting to get really tired of it.

Too many Governments have relied on the IMperial COllege studies that were totally, utterly wrong (and please don't say social distancing was the only cause they were wrong).

Obviously this is a nasty, virulent virus that preys on the weak and elderly: but countries don't shut down for really bad flu seasons (and before anyone gets hysterical I'm not comparing the two).

I live in the US also, and this is 100% accurate. The liberal slanting media outlets, such as CNN/MSNBC/HuffPo, are rediculous and over blowing this because they hate Trump. I live in Texas, and we have had no issues really. If schools and jobs weren't closed down, you would think nothing is wrong. Great weather, people jogging, etc.
USA on 08:29 - Apr 20 with 1170 viewsMr_Happy

USA on 01:38 - Apr 20 by strikerace

I live in the US also, and this is 100% accurate. The liberal slanting media outlets, such as CNN/MSNBC/HuffPo, are rediculous and over blowing this because they hate Trump. I live in Texas, and we have had no issues really. If schools and jobs weren't closed down, you would think nothing is wrong. Great weather, people jogging, etc.

The reason you have no issues is because everything is closed down (are you really this dumb?) restricting the spread, watch this video and see how distancing works.

Mr Cheerful Pfft.

USA (n/t) on 09:00 - Apr 20 with 1153 viewsDellHero

USA on 08:50 - Apr 19 by inthebox

Worth a read for anybody trying to defend Boris or Trump
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/18/how-did-britain-get-its-response-t

[Post edited 9 May 2020 20:10]
USA (n/t) on 09:05 - Apr 20 with 1148 viewsDellHero

First of all, as ever much utter tosh being spoken by people with their agendas.

I live here in the US and, outside of New York and New Jersey this has not been the massive crisis the media and the left portrayed. Trump speaks very poorly a lot but most of the time he is right.

People have started protesting because suddenly 25 million find themselves unemployed, compared to 2 million 4 weeks ago. This despite many, many areas not having a problem. Add to that Americans do not appreciate their rights being impinged: and many Governors are doing that (Republican and Democrat) even where there is little issue with the virus.

A great example is the MSM calling the GOvernor of South Dakota reckless and letting people die due to her negligence with SOuth Dakota being a hotspot. ALl because she has taken the Swedish model in a sparsely populated State. And in fact, it is not a hotspot with one meat processing plant accounting for most of the cases - and they would have been working anyway as it was deemed an essential business.

Add in he (Trump) was called racist for blocking flights from China and the left are looking pretty stupid.

In my State (Virginia) we have a 'stay at home' order. Today was beautiful and I can tell you people were not staying at home. These lockdowns cannot last indefinitely (some morons calling for an 18 month shutdown) and people are starting to get really tired of it.

Too many Governments have relied on the IMperial COllege studies that were totally, utterly wrong (and please don't say social distancing was the only cause they were wrong).

Obviously this is a nasty, virulent virus that preys on the weak and elderly: but countries don't shut down for really bad flu seasons (and before anyone gets hysterical I'm not comparing the two).

[Post edited 9 May 2020 20:10]
USA on 09:15 - Apr 20 with 1142 viewsMr_Happy

'This despite many, many areas not having a problem'

That's because of the lockdown, you're like some fool stood out in the rain with an umbrella claiming it's not raining because you're not getting wet.

Mr Cheerful Pfft.

USA on 10:13 - Apr 20 with 1116 viewsDorsetIan

Interesting post and good to hear the other side from someone living there.

Your point seems to be that there is a reasonable argument that the lockdown can't be justified in many states, where they have had very few cases, and sure nearly half of all US deaths have been in New York.

But I my Dorset region in a population of 375,000 there have been about 500 cases and 100 deaths, so very very low, but I don't get any sense that people here are calling to be 'liberated' or are ignoring the lockdown.

Is is that people in the US just don't trust the federal government and they see Trump as being or their side in that?

And on a personal level, do you not worry that if the lockdown is lifted too soon, the thing will just reappear?

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

USA on 10:48 - Apr 20 with 1094 viewsMr_Happy

USA on 10:13 - Apr 20 by DorsetIan

Interesting post and good to hear the other side from someone living there.

Your point seems to be that there is a reasonable argument that the lockdown can't be justified in many states, where they have had very few cases, and sure nearly half of all US deaths have been in New York.

But I my Dorset region in a population of 375,000 there have been about 500 cases and 100 deaths, so very very low, but I don't get any sense that people here are calling to be 'liberated' or are ignoring the lockdown.

Is is that people in the US just don't trust the federal government and they see Trump as being or their side in that?

And on a personal level, do you not worry that if the lockdown is lifted too soon, the thing will just reappear?

It's exactly what happened in several US cities after the Spanish flu pandemic, some people need a history lesson.
It's also worth noting Spanish flu had a transference rate of 2 Covid 19 has one of three making it much more of a threat.

Mr Cheerful Pfft.

USA on 11:07 - Apr 20 with 1081 viewsDorsetIan

USA on 10:48 - Apr 20 by Mr_Happy

It's exactly what happened in several US cities after the Spanish flu pandemic, some people need a history lesson.
It's also worth noting Spanish flu had a transference rate of 2 Covid 19 has one of three making it much more of a threat.

Comparisons with Spanish Flu very interesting. This was useful and seemingly mainly factual and not trying to push one agenda or another.

https://www.biospace.com/article/compare-1918-spanish-influenza-pandemic-versus-

One of the issues I have in listening to what Trump says is that he is super optimistic about everything. Everything either is great or going to be great. I can understand that optimism is an attractive quality in a person and that you need a bit of optimism to get things done and to push through when times are difficult. However, I don't look to a pathologically optimistic person to find out what the truth is.

Login to get fewer ads

USA on 11:33 - Apr 20 with 1070 viewsOccasional_Showers

USA on 11:07 - Apr 20 by DorsetIan

Comparisons with Spanish Flu very interesting. This was useful and seemingly mainly factual and not trying to push one agenda or another.

https://www.biospace.com/article/compare-1918-spanish-influenza-pandemic-versus-

One of the issues I have in listening to what Trump says is that he is super optimistic about everything. Everything either is great or going to be great. I can understand that optimism is an attractive quality in a person and that you need a bit of optimism to get things done and to push through when times are difficult. However, I don't look to a pathologically optimistic person to find out what the truth is.

No “Ian”, you go on YouTube and watch your David Ike playlist.

Poll: Did you break any lockdown rules?

USA on 12:20 - Apr 20 with 1056 viewsDorsetIan

USA on 11:33 - Apr 20 by Occasional_Showers

No “Ian”, you go on YouTube and watch your David Ike playlist.

Thanks for that, Ignatius. Another grown up contribution to a TUI discussion.

USA on 13:41 - Apr 20 with 1023 viewsDorsetIan

Well that's a first. The Daily Mail and Piers Morgan don't agree with me on much...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8236447/Piers-Morgan-blasts-Donald-Trum

USA on 15:17 - Apr 20 with 999 viewsMr_Happy

USA on 13:41 - Apr 20 by DorsetIan

Well that's a first. The Daily Mail and Piers Morgan don't agree with me on much...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8236447/Piers-Morgan-blasts-Donald-Trum

The yank trolls on the comments section can't even spell his name right.

Mr Cheerful Pfft.

USA on 23:48 - Apr 21 with 930 viewswashington_saint

It is not just because things are locked down that areas don;t have an issue.

It seems that the West Coast has a milder form of the virus (with the more aggressive strain coming from Europe into the East COast via New York).

Various studies have already taken place out here that shows, for example, in LA County and San Jose (not small areas) that based on antibody testing the true rate of infection is between 50 and 80 times higher than is being reported in official figures.

Although this is very virulent, the same vulnerable people are at risk during flu season - and whole economies do not close down each year to focus on this.

The hysteria knows no bounds: the MSM here decried North Carolina protests today saying it was the worst day of deaths in the State for CV today. They had 34 deaths attributed to CV and most had pre-existing conditions. To put this into context, 93 people per day died in car accidents (and this was in 2009)
USA on 05:34 - Apr 22 with 903 viewsMushty

USA on 23:48 - Apr 21 by washington_saint

It is not just because things are locked down that areas don;t have an issue.

It seems that the West Coast has a milder form of the virus (with the more aggressive strain coming from Europe into the East COast via New York).

Various studies have already taken place out here that shows, for example, in LA County and San Jose (not small areas) that based on antibody testing the true rate of infection is between 50 and 80 times higher than is being reported in official figures.

Although this is very virulent, the same vulnerable people are at risk during flu season - and whole economies do not close down each year to focus on this.

The hysteria knows no bounds: the MSM here decried North Carolina protests today saying it was the worst day of deaths in the State for CV today. They had 34 deaths attributed to CV and most had pre-existing conditions. To put this into context, 93 people per day died in car accidents (and this was in 2009)

But if you put all car drivers in lock-down you wouldn't have '93 deaths per day' in vehicle accidents.

Relax the rules and allow Americans to start moving around again and watch the aggressive strain in the East finds its way across the States to the 'mild' West. It's a tough call but until a vaccine is available.......
USA on 07:07 - Apr 22 with 891 viewsgrumpy

Over 45000 Deaths,when are you going to wake up over there?
USA on 09:12 - Apr 22 with 860 viewsMr_Happy

Super intelligent Trump supporters.

Mr Cheerful Pfft.

USA on 09:39 - Apr 22 with 846 viewskernow

Who's Brian Moran?
Is he a NFL celeb?
USA on 10:23 - Apr 22 with 823 viewsMr_Happy

USA on 09:39 - Apr 22 by kernow

Who's Brian Moran?
Is he a NFL celeb?

Trump is actively getting his supporters to commit suicide.

Mr Cheerful Pfft.

USA on 13:00 - Apr 22 with 792 viewsdirk_doone

USA on 10:23 - Apr 22 by Mr_Happy

Trump is actively getting his supporters to commit suicide.

We've got coronavirus deniers in the UK too, who claim these deaths are the result of other causes when the simple facts show there are 8,000 deaths per week more in England & Wales now than the average for this time of year, in spite of the fact there is less traffic on the roads.

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

USA on 13:03 - Apr 22 with 787 viewsMr_Happy

USA on 13:00 - Apr 22 by dirk_doone

We've got coronavirus deniers in the UK too, who claim these deaths are the result of other causes when the simple facts show there are 8,000 deaths per week more in England & Wales now than the average for this time of year, in spite of the fact there is less traffic on the roads.

That and the flu season is over.

Mr Cheerful Pfft.

USA on 13:12 - Apr 22 with 777 viewsdirk_doone

USA on 13:03 - Apr 22 by Mr_Happy

That and the flu season is over.

Yes. and leaving party politics aside, the lockdown is saving a lot of lives and the more seriously people take the threat of coronavirus, the more lives will be saved..

Trump's public attitude is not helping but, apparently in private, he is terrified of catching it and has taken extreme measures inside the White House to make sure he doesn't.

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

USA on 13:52 - Apr 22 with 748 viewswashington_saint

So how are you all going to pay for this lockdown that is destroying the economy? How are you gong to address the mental health issues from an extended lockdown? And the extra suicides and domestic abuse?

As for the poster who said that "if you take the cars off the road there would not be 93 deaths a day in NC". Very true - why don't we all live in a plastic bubble and never leave. You know, if we leave the bubble there might be a chance we get sick or have an accident.

Some context is required to this crisis - not the mass outpouring of hysteria.

Yes it's bad - Sweden appears to have had the right approach. Leave it up to individuals to determine what risk they are comfortable with.

Lockdowns have not prevented the care homes having major issues.
USA on 14:34 - Apr 22 with 722 viewsOccasional_Showers

USA on 13:52 - Apr 22 by washington_saint

So how are you all going to pay for this lockdown that is destroying the economy? How are you gong to address the mental health issues from an extended lockdown? And the extra suicides and domestic abuse?

As for the poster who said that "if you take the cars off the road there would not be 93 deaths a day in NC". Very true - why don't we all live in a plastic bubble and never leave. You know, if we leave the bubble there might be a chance we get sick or have an accident.

Some context is required to this crisis - not the mass outpouring of hysteria.

Yes it's bad - Sweden appears to have had the right approach. Leave it up to individuals to determine what risk they are comfortable with.

Lockdowns have not prevented the care homes having major issues.

Only individuals who can afford not to work have a choice. In the UK we are lucky we have a people’s Conservative landslide majority government who led the way and furloughed the workforce. In the US of A you have the choice to work and risk your health or earn no money and die of poverty. I’m thankful to live in the UK. The whinging left wing morons over here have a lot to be grateful to Boris for, but the ungrateful pricks will never realise they’ve never had it so good.
[Post edited 22 Apr 2020 14:36]

Poll: Did you break any lockdown rules?

USA on 14:51 - Apr 22 with 712 viewssaint22

USA on 14:34 - Apr 22 by Occasional_Showers

Only individuals who can afford not to work have a choice. In the UK we are lucky we have a people’s Conservative landslide majority government who led the way and furloughed the workforce. In the US of A you have the choice to work and risk your health or earn no money and die of poverty. I’m thankful to live in the UK. The whinging left wing morons over here have a lot to be grateful to Boris for, but the ungrateful pricks will never realise they’ve never had it so good.

oh do pipe down you sycophant
USA on 14:55 - Apr 22 with 711 viewsDorsetIan

USA on 14:34 - Apr 22 by Occasional_Showers

What's the difference between a 'people's Conservative landslide majority government' and a 'Conservative landslide majority government' ?

Is is only 'whinging left wing morons' who have a lot to be grateful for or all 'whinging morons' ?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024