Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Time to cancel this lockdown 15:46 - Apr 25 with 4096 viewsOccasional_Showers

It’s looking like a pointless exercise now as there won’t be a vaccine this year, so now the NHS is coping we might as well just get on with it. The cost to the economy is just too high to carry on as we are.

Poll: Did you break any lockdown rules?

Time to cancel this lockdown on 08:59 - Apr 26 with 1107 viewsOccasional_Showers

Time to cancel this lockdown on 08:55 - Apr 26 by RednWight

I thought your hero had decided bleach or similar was the vaccine
I’m amazed you’ve not tried it

He’s only one of my hero’s. High up on the list yes, but not as high as my current number one hero Dominic Cummings.
[Post edited 26 Apr 2020 8:59]

Time to cancel this lockdown on 09:22 - Apr 26 with 1071 viewskernow

Time to cancel this lockdown on 08:59 - Apr 26 by Occasional_Showers

He’s only one of my hero’s. High up on the list yes, but not as high as my current number one hero Dominic Cummings.

Are all of the Dear Leader's decisions based on scientific evidence? He obviously has a keen interest so doubtless the decision to cancel lockdown will be based on science rather than economics.
It could be argued that the lockdown shall continue indefinitely. The People's Government have the mandate.
Time to cancel this lockdown on 09:23 - Apr 26 with 1066 viewsRon11

Time to cancel this lockdown on 22:26 - Apr 25 by Saintsforeverj

Sweden has a much, much smaller population than the Uk. There is a much less population density than the UK too. The much smaller population means that they can cope and can get away with not locking down. The number of deaths per million is huge but because there are not many millions in the country, the death toll seems low, but it is not. It is like saying Torquay United have far less hooligans than Manchester United. They also have far less fans.

But the point about lockdown, well yes, we can't lock down until next January can we?
[Post edited 25 Apr 2020 22:29]

I think this is the point.
There are 66.6 million people just in England, yes 66.6 million. 10 million in Sweden.
Also in comparison, there are just 5.2 million people in Scotland.
Unfortunately, where there are high density populated areas, obviously London is one - the rates will be higher.
The sight of those poor fookers jammed on the cut back underground day in day out is horrifying, but how many have we seen wearing masks?
Time to cancel this lockdown on 09:29 - Apr 26 with 1059 viewsRednWight

Time to cancel this lockdown on 09:23 - Apr 26 by Ron11

There are 66.6 million people just in England, yes 66.6 million. 10 million in Sweden.
Unfortunately, where there are high density populated areas, obviously London is one - the rates will be higher.
The sight of those poor fookers jammed on the cut back underground day in day out is horrifying, but how many have we seen wearing masks?

The spread of the virus is determined by 2 things
1. How dense the population is
2. How dense the population is

The older I get the better I was
Poll: Cortese. Would we have him back

Time to cancel this lockdown on 09:36 - Apr 26 with 1051 viewskernow

South Korea, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Singapore are densely populated with low infection and death rates.
Wearing masks is the norm.
Time to cancel this lockdown on 09:38 - Apr 26 with 1049 viewsdirk_doone

Hong Kong can be compared to London and New York. It has one of the highest population densities in the world yet only ever had 4 coronavirus deaths in a population of 7.5 million.

As you say, the reluctance to wear masks in the UK and USA is one of the most noticeable differences.

High temperatures are a factor though. Research on previous coronaviruses showed that the most effective way to kill them was the use of high temperatures, in excess of 50°C, which you find in direct sunlight in many tropical countries but, unfortunately not in the human body. However, cigarette smoke in the mouth has a temperature well in excess of that, which probably explains why so few smokers die from coronavirus, in spite of the fact they already have damaged lungs.

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Time to cancel this lockdown on 09:44 - Apr 26 with 1037 viewsRon11

Time to cancel this lockdown on 09:36 - Apr 26 by kernow

South Korea, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Singapore are densely populated with low infection and death rates.
Wearing masks is the norm.

Yes.
And the problem now is, Johnson or one of those other incompetents will hit upon this as a way of easing the lockdown - 'you must wear a mask'.
OK, where do we get one? We'll all be wearing Saints scarves or whatever round the face when it's 30*.
By the way, I missed a week in St. Mawes because of this shit.
Time to cancel this lockdown on 09:46 - Apr 26 with 1034 viewsOccasional_Showers

Time to cancel this lockdown on 09:38 - Apr 26 by dirk_doone

Hong Kong can be compared to London and New York. It has one of the highest population densities in the world yet only ever had 4 coronavirus deaths in a population of 7.5 million.

As you say, the reluctance to wear masks in the UK and USA is one of the most noticeable differences.

High temperatures are a factor though. Research on previous coronaviruses showed that the most effective way to kill them was the use of high temperatures, in excess of 50°C, which you find in direct sunlight in many tropical countries but, unfortunately not in the human body. However, cigarette smoke in the mouth has a temperature well in excess of that, which probably explains why so few smokers die from coronavirus, in spite of the fact they already have damaged lungs.

I doubt it’s the heat in the mouth. If it was wouldn’t a hot drink do the same thing?

Login to get fewer ads

Time to cancel this lockdown on 09:57 - Apr 26 with 1017 viewsRednWight

Time to cancel this lockdown on 09:46 - Apr 26 by Occasional_Showers

I doubt it’s the heat in the mouth. If it was wouldn’t a hot drink do the same thing?

Agreed
Also Boris would have been immune judging by the amount of hot air that comes out of his mouth

The older I get the better I was
Poll: Cortese. Would we have him back

Time to cancel this lockdown on 10:09 - Apr 26 with 1005 viewskernow

Time to cancel this lockdown on 09:44 - Apr 26 by Ron11

Yes.
And the problem now is, Johnson or one of those other incompetents will hit upon this as a way of easing the lockdown - 'you must wear a mask'.
OK, where do we get one? We'll all be wearing Saints scarves or whatever round the face when it's 30*.
By the way, I missed a week in St. Mawes because of this shit.

A significant factor is not only the routine wearing of masks but experience gained from previous epidemics. The prompt and decisive policies adopted to introduce ocommunal, universal testing and contact tracing of those who test positive has ensured that the disease has not spread uncontrollably with no need of a lockdown.

Germany and New Zealand are two developed nations that acted promptly and decisively to control the spread through lockdown resulting in low fatality rates.

It's down to good leadership and folk being considerate and patient.

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. St Mawes will always be there.
Time to cancel this lockdown on 10:11 - Apr 26 with 1003 viewsdirk_doone

Time to cancel this lockdown on 09:46 - Apr 26 by Occasional_Showers

The temperature of the cigarette smoke will still be well above 50°C when it first hits the lungs and a typical cornavirus would find it hard to survive repeated blasts of high temperature.
I should add that I'm not a scientist and that is just my layman's theory as to why death rates among smokers are surprisingly low.

I'm not going to start smoking and I certainly wouldn't advise anyone else to as I can't imagine anything worse than a protracted death from lung cancer.
[Post edited 26 Apr 2020 10:12]

Time to cancel this lockdown on 10:21 - Apr 26 with 988 viewsMr_Happy

Time to cancel this lockdown on 23:59 - Apr 25 by Occasional_Showers

https://worldpopulationreview.com/countries/smoking-rates-by-country/

The French have flagged up a link between nicotine and Corona being less severe. Just look at Greece’s smoking rate and it makes you wonder.

I might have to panic buy 200 JPS.
[Post edited 26 Apr 2020 0:05]

Greece locked down the minute they had an infection in the country and enforced it really strictly, if we had adopted Sweden's method the NHS would have been well and truly swamped.People like you would have been screaming blue murder as the two hundred thousandth person died.
If you look at what happened with the Spanish flu pandemic cities that didn't lock down took years longer to recover financially than those that did.

Mr Cheerful Pfft.

Time to cancel this lockdown on 15:10 - Apr 26 with 921 viewsSaintsforeverj

Time to cancel this lockdown on 10:11 - Apr 26 by dirk_doone

The temperature of the cigarette smoke will still be well above 50°C when it first hits the lungs and a typical cornavirus would find it hard to survive repeated blasts of high temperature.
I should add that I'm not a scientist and that is just my layman's theory as to why death rates among smokers are surprisingly low.

I'm not going to start smoking and I certainly wouldn't advise anyone else to as I can't imagine anything worse than a protracted death from lung cancer.
[Post edited 26 Apr 2020 10:12]

The thing about heat and weather is probably significant. South Africa has seemingly coped well with the virus. But it is hot there at the moment.

When you compare other viruses such as the winter flu, the norovirus, colds etc, people tend to get them in the winter when it is cold. I've never heard of the "summer flu" or a summer health crisis in the NHS. There must be something about summer weather helping to prevent the spread.

It therefore follows that the summer months ahead will allow us to come out of lockdown but obviously no large gatherings and continue to socially distance etc.
[Post edited 26 Apr 2020 15:13]

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

Time to cancel this lockdown on 16:24 - Apr 26 with 886 viewsdirk_doone

Time to cancel this lockdown on 15:10 - Apr 26 by Saintsforeverj

The thing about heat and weather is probably significant. South Africa has seemingly coped well with the virus. But it is hot there at the moment.

When you compare other viruses such as the winter flu, the norovirus, colds etc, people tend to get them in the winter when it is cold. I've never heard of the "summer flu" or a summer health crisis in the NHS. There must be something about summer weather helping to prevent the spread.

It therefore follows that the summer months ahead will allow us to come out of lockdown but obviously no large gatherings and continue to socially distance etc.

Yes, high temperatures do appear to have an effect.

https://www.accuweather.com/en/health-wellness/higher-temperatures-affect-surviv

When they conducted research into the last SARS outbreak, they found that high temperatures were the most effective method for killing the virus.

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/pdf/10.1177/153567600701200206
[Post edited 26 Apr 2020 16:29]

Time to cancel this lockdown on 16:32 - Apr 26 with 876 viewsOccasional_Showers

Time to cancel this lockdown on 15:10 - Apr 26 by Saintsforeverj

When you say no large gatherings could certain outdoor large gatherings be allowed? For example country fairs, street markets, car boot sales? With a bit of tweaking I.e social distancing at beer tents, I think these types of events could go ahead.

Time to cancel this lockdown on 16:49 - Apr 26 with 869 viewsSaintsforeverj

Time to cancel this lockdown on 16:32 - Apr 26 by Occasional_Showers

When you say no large gatherings could certain outdoor large gatherings be allowed? For example country fairs, street markets, car boot sales? With a bit of tweaking I.e social distancing at beer tents, I think these types of events could go ahead.

I think obviously large football crowds and concerts etc are a no no. But you could certainly open cinemas and have spare seats between each group. You can open restaurants with bookings only. Shops can open but only a few people in at a time. In practice, it would probably be very difficult to enforce this, but we simply can't lock down until a vaccine is found. When the NHS is ready, we will have to come out of lockdown and just do our best to keep infections down.

As for country fairs etc, not really sure. I would imagine something like this being hard to ensure social distancing. You can spread out tables in a restaurant, you can have less students in school on different days, but ensuring that only one person is at a stall at a time at a fair might be difficult.

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

Time to cancel this lockdown on 10:10 - Apr 27 with 735 viewsDorsetIan

Disappointing first statement from Johnson on his return to Downing Street. As usual, big on bluster and fighting metaphors, but lacking in any detail about how we are going to come out of this.

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, maybe the details will follow later...

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

Time to cancel this lockdown on 10:19 - Apr 27 with 742 viewsMr_Happy

If we had the same death rate per capita as Sweden the same people arguing for an easing would be screaming for a tighter lockdown.

Mr Cheerful Pfft.

Time to cancel this lockdown on 11:13 - Apr 27 with 711 viewsBicester_North

Time to cancel this lockdown on 10:19 - Apr 27 by Mr_Happy

If we had the same death rate per capita as Sweden the same people arguing for an easing would be screaming for a tighter lockdown.

What do you mean? Our death rate per capita is a fair bit higher than Sweden.

Poll: Who do you feel most sorry for

Time to cancel this lockdown on 08:55 - Apr 28 with 605 viewsNumber_58

Time to cancel this lockdown on 08:59 - Apr 26 by Occasional_Showers

Of course, this isn't the first time you've backed a world leader who's advocated using chemicals, is it? Do you remember the time you mocked the defenceless Syrian women and kids when your 'hero' Putin helped Assad drop chemicals on them? Do you remember that Dune?
Time to cancel this lockdown on 09:22 - Apr 28 with 583 viewsOccasional_Showers

Time to cancel this lockdown on 08:55 - Apr 28 by Number_58

Of course, this isn't the first time you've backed a world leader who's advocated using chemicals, is it? Do you remember the time you mocked the defenceless Syrian women and kids when your 'hero' Putin helped Assad drop chemicals on them? Do you remember that Dune?

No, you’re making things up.

Time to cancel this lockdown on 09:39 - Apr 28 with 570 viewsVagina_Dentata

Time to cancel this lockdown on 09:22 - Apr 28 by Occasional_Showers

No, you’re making things up.

Na mush, this happened. You said this. Like that time you got kicked off saintsweb for being racist. Like the multiple times you referred to immigrants as vermin.

you can drink your weak lemon drink now.

Time to cancel this lockdown on 09:49 - Apr 28 with 554 viewsOccasional_Showers

Time to cancel this lockdown on 09:39 - Apr 28 by Vagina_Dentata

Na mush, this happened. You said this. Like that time you got kicked off saintsweb for being racist. Like the multiple times you referred to immigrants as vermin.

Really Thorpe Le Saint? I think you’ll find I considered Assad to be the right regime for Syria compared to the Islamic State. Just like Gadaffi was the the best of the worst options for Libya, and Saddam Hussein was the best of the worst options for Iraq.

Time to cancel this lockdown on 09:49 - Apr 28 with 552 viewskernow

Yep. I called you out for being an arse on that occasion.

On another occasion, you also thought it was good policy to bully the Irish and condoned the starvation as a historical example of how such policy could be implemented.
Being one quarter Irish, my reaction was bad.
Time to cancel this lockdown on 10:01 - Apr 28 with 536 viewsOccasional_Showers

Time to cancel this lockdown on 09:49 - Apr 28 by kernow

Yep. I called you out for being an arse on that occasion.

On another occasion, you also thought it was good policy to bully the Irish and condoned the starvation as a historical example of how such policy could be implemented.
Being one quarter Irish, my reaction was bad.

Given that much of Ireland’s trade travels through the UK it’s a perfectly feasible plan to cut them off should they have the nerve to think they can assert themselves over the United Kingdom. Leo Varadkar was getting far too big for his boots in EU negotiations and if push came to shove of course we should put the Irish in their place by making them remember we hold all the cards. I’m not saying we’d need to starve them out because they would capitulate long before it came to that.
[Post edited 28 Apr 2020 10:03]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024