Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Time to cancel this lockdown 15:46 - Apr 25 with 4083 viewsOccasional_Showers

It’s looking like a pointless exercise now as there won’t be a vaccine this year, so now the NHS is coping we might as well just get on with it. The cost to the economy is just too high to carry on as we are.

Poll: Did you break any lockdown rules?

Time to cancel this lockdown on 10:08 - Apr 28 with 544 viewsVagina_Dentata

Time to cancel this lockdown on 09:49 - Apr 28 by Occasional_Showers

Really Thorpe Le Saint? I think you’ll find I considered Assad to be the right regime for Syria compared to the Islamic State. Just like Gadaffi was the the best of the worst options for Libya, and Saddam Hussein was the best of the worst options for Iraq.

Still banging the Thorpe drum? Imagine having such little imagination that you can’t conceive that there could be two saints fans who are also teachers. Whoever that guy is, he did a proper number on you to be so obsessed with him. You are vile mush.

you can drink your weak lemon drink now.

Time to cancel this lockdown on 10:09 - Apr 28 with 541 viewskernow

Time to cancel this lockdown on 10:01 - Apr 28 by Occasional_Showers

Given that much of Ireland’s trade travels through the UK it’s a perfectly feasible plan to cut them off should they have the nerve to think they can assert themselves over the United Kingdom. Leo Varadkar was getting far too big for his boots in EU negotiations and if push came to shove of course we should put the Irish in their place by making them remember we hold all the cards. I’m not saying we’d need to starve them out because they would capitulate long before it came to that.
[Post edited 28 Apr 2020 10:03]

Unlike little England, whose suffering would be far more acute, Ireland has an agrarian economy and a low population. They could feed themselves if need be.
The English would have to eat their own fingers.
Time to cancel this lockdown on 10:09 - Apr 28 with 539 viewshuelinsaint

Given that much of Ireland’s trade travels through the UK it’s a perfectly feasible plan to cut them off should they have the nerve to think they can assert themselves over the United Kingdom. Leo Varadkar was getting far too big for his boots in EU negotiations and if push came to shove of course we should put the Irish in their place by making them remember we hold all the cards. I’m not saying we’d need to starve them out because they would capitulate long before it came to that.

The we hold all the cards ship has long since sailed mush, If Britain did try to blockade Ireland a la Patel, the EU would take up the slack,Britain would lose that battle against the world's largest economic block
Time to cancel this lockdown on 10:13 - Apr 28 with 528 viewsOccasional_Showers

Time to cancel this lockdown on 10:08 - Apr 28 by Vagina_Dentata

Still banging the Thorpe drum? Imagine having such little imagination that you can’t conceive that there could be two saints fans who are also teachers. Whoever that guy is, he did a proper number on you to be so obsessed with him. You are vile mush.

Calm down dear.

Time to cancel this lockdown on 10:14 - Apr 28 with 525 viewsOccasional_Showers

Time to cancel this lockdown on 10:09 - Apr 28 by kernow

Unlike little England, whose suffering would be far more acute, Ireland has an agrarian economy and a low population. They could feed themselves if need be.
The English would have to eat their own fingers.

Is this the same Ireland that the UK bailed out after the credit crunch?

Time to cancel this lockdown on 10:15 - Apr 28 with 512 viewsDorsetIan

Most of the time you are living in the 1930s.

When it comes to international relations, it's the 19th century. The idea of an Irish blockade is beyond stupid. The sort of thing a badly informed teenager would come up with.

A millisecond's reflection would tell you (1) that if we blocked the ROI, the EU would block us and (2) we are now a country looking for friends internationally and are in no position to try to throw what little weight we have around - especially not to country with whom we share a land border.

Your ability to spout utter tosh on any chosen subject is extraordinary.

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

Time to cancel this lockdown on 10:19 - Apr 28 with 519 viewskernow

Time to cancel this lockdown on 10:14 - Apr 28 by Occasional_Showers

Is this the same Ireland that the UK bailed out after the credit crunch?

In a word, no.

Why did UK bail them out?
Simply because it was in their best interest to do so.
Time to cancel this lockdown on 10:20 - Apr 28 with 513 viewsOccasional_Showers

Time to cancel this lockdown on 10:19 - Apr 28 by kernow

In a word, no.

Why did UK bail them out?
Simply because it was in their best interest to do so.

I would sincerely hope so.

Login to get fewer ads

Time to cancel this lockdown on 10:22 - Apr 28 with 510 viewsVagina_Dentata

Time to cancel this lockdown on 10:13 - Apr 28 by Occasional_Showers

Calm down dear.

As I thought. No answer. Although it brings me no joy, I have clearly defeated someone of vastly inferior intellect.
[Post edited 28 Apr 2020 10:23]

you can drink your weak lemon drink now.

Time to cancel this lockdown on 10:25 - Apr 28 with 502 viewsOccasional_Showers

Time to cancel this lockdown on 10:22 - Apr 28 by Vagina_Dentata

As I thought. No answer. Although it brings me no joy, I have clearly defeated someone of vastly inferior intellect.
[Post edited 28 Apr 2020 10:23]

Clearly.

Time to cancel this lockdown on 10:27 - Apr 28 with 493 viewskernow

Time to cancel this lockdown on 10:20 - Apr 28 by Occasional_Showers

I would sincerely hope so.

So now that BoJo has once again turned to and eventually, expressed his opinions on the lockdown and social distancing.
Do you still think it's time to cancel this lockdown?
Science or economics?
Your view, not someone else's thank you.
Time to cancel this lockdown on 10:28 - Apr 28 with 488 viewsOccasional_Showers

Time to cancel this lockdown on 10:27 - Apr 28 by kernow

So now that BoJo has once again turned to and eventually, expressed his opinions on the lockdown and social distancing.
Science or economics?

Whatever Boris does I will think is wonderful. When you vote Tory you know you are voting for the party that know what they’re doing.

Time to cancel this lockdown on 11:25 - Apr 28 with 453 viewskernow

Time to cancel this lockdown on 10:28 - Apr 28 by Occasional_Showers

Whatever Boris does I will think is wonderful. When you vote Tory you know you are voting for the party that know what they’re doing.

Time to cancel this lockdown on 11:46 - Apr 28 with 438 viewsBrands_Hatch_Saints

Time to cancel this lockdown on 10:27 - Apr 28 by kernow

Science or economics?

Can I answer this one? Apologies to answer a question with questions, but hopefully if you read through you will get my point.

Why is it safe to go to Sainsbury's, with hundred of other people or into work with say 20-250 other people in an office building, but it is not OK to sit in a park, or go to a small shop like a barbers or dry cleaners?

So far as science tells me, this is illogical. It seems they allow big buisness to open and continue to turn over profits, but the small man can go to hell.

I am told this virus can survive longest on plastic. So, how are we containing this virus by allowing people to go and buy food and goods in a supermarket, in plastic packaging that they then take home to their families or into the office? Again, illogical.

So far as I can see, governments are guessing and doing stuff for the sake of doing stuff. If we are not going to open up now, tell me, when will it be safe? Take into account that some people can have the virus and show no symptoms and indeed, some can be carriers that never show symptoms. With that in mind, surely we have to remain like this for ever, no?
Time to cancel this lockdown on 12:03 - Apr 28 with 431 viewsSadoldgit

I agree about the illogicality of it being ok to go the supermarkets but not sit in a park. I had expected something to have been done to try and improve home delivery for groceries but supermarkets have been left to their own devices. Perhaps the army and the GPO (who only seem to be delivering every other day) could have been brought in to supplement the supermarket delivery drivers. It has only ever been a partial lockdown, but at least it has brought the infection rate down.
Time to cancel this lockdown on 12:32 - Apr 28 with 406 viewssolent_toffee

Time to cancel this lockdown on 11:46 - Apr 28 by Brands_Hatch_Saints

Can I answer this one? Apologies to answer a question with questions, but hopefully if you read through you will get my point.

Why is it safe to go to Sainsbury's, with hundred of other people or into work with say 20-250 other people in an office building, but it is not OK to sit in a park, or go to a small shop like a barbers or dry cleaners?

So far as science tells me, this is illogical. It seems they allow big buisness to open and continue to turn over profits, but the small man can go to hell.

I am told this virus can survive longest on plastic. So, how are we containing this virus by allowing people to go and buy food and goods in a supermarket, in plastic packaging that they then take home to their families or into the office? Again, illogical.

So far as I can see, governments are guessing and doing stuff for the sake of doing stuff. If we are not going to open up now, tell me, when will it be safe? Take into account that some people can have the virus and show no symptoms and indeed, some can be carriers that never show symptoms. With that in mind, surely we have to remain like this for ever, no?

Completely agree. I think the whole partial lockdown has lead to a lot of ambiguity and interpretation and people are generally doing what they think they can.

The government seem to be making it up as they go along (which is not a dig as it’s obviously an ongoing situation) but with little to no common sense around enforcement. It all very vague.
Time to cancel this lockdown on 12:41 - Apr 28 with 399 viewsthis_charming_man

Time to cancel this lockdown on 12:03 - Apr 28 by Sadoldgit

I agree about the illogicality of it being ok to go the supermarkets but not sit in a park. I had expected something to have been done to try and improve home delivery for groceries but supermarkets have been left to their own devices. Perhaps the army and the GPO (who only seem to be delivering every other day) could have been brought in to supplement the supermarket delivery drivers. It has only ever been a partial lockdown, but at least it has brought the infection rate down.

bloody government letting people go to supermarkets to buy food to stay alive but not letting them sunbath in parks. Typical tories lack of consistent direction, Hancock should be fires for this, it’s a disgrace

TUIs only reliable source of ITk news. #bewareoffalseprophets
Poll: Who hates the tories the most?

Time to cancel this lockdown on 12:44 - Apr 28 with 392 viewsthis_charming_man

Time to cancel this lockdown on 12:32 - Apr 28 by solent_toffee

Completely agree. I think the whole partial lockdown has lead to a lot of ambiguity and interpretation and people are generally doing what they think they can.

The government seem to be making it up as they go along (which is not a dig as it’s obviously an ongoing situation) but with little to no common sense around enforcement. It all very vague.

Only for really thick people that need it spelling out to them. It really isn’t ambiguous at all. Most people I know aside from a few f*ck wits (unfortunately related by marriage) arent struggling with it.

Time to cancel this lockdown on 12:55 - Apr 28 with 381 viewsSaintNick

Time to cancel this lockdown on 11:46 - Apr 28 by Brands_Hatch_Saints

If you notice the opening of shops is not about big business it is about essentials, by the very way we lead our lives these days that means supermarkets are how we shop for food and without them we can't feed the population of this country.

We can never have 100 % lockdown, we have to eat and to a lesser degree excercise, so some things are necessary evils.

Therefore you can get 250 office workers to work from home, but we cant eat through our computers and before you say the infrastructure is not there to have complete home deliveries.

The whole point of lockdown was to limit contact, it could never be eradicated completely.

The virus might last longest on plastic but food has to be kept fresh and hygienic and again this is not possible without the use of packaging, most food is bought through supermarkets and they do not have the infrastructure to do things in a more individual way.

If you think the government is guessing then you need to look deeper, they are taking medical and scientific advice and they are following on that advice, this is not a political statement it is fact.

The opposition parties are keen to point out the things that have gone wrong, but what they are not so keen to admit is that they would have done exactly the same thing as they would have been getting exactly the same advice from the same people if they were in power.

The Government would be dead in the water if they were asked the question are you following the medical and scientific advice ? and they replied they weren't but just guessing themselves.

Why has no one asked that question, because they know the answer, that they are sticking to the advice given.

The problem is that there is little information on the best way to treat the advice and China held back on admitting the problem for too long so we had little time to prepare or to guage what would be the right or wrong way to go forward, from this perspective there will be times when wrong decisions are made, but no one can be blamed as at the time they didn't know the right path to follow, like anything things have to be tried and discounted until the right remedy is found.

It is easy to say that some countries went into lockdown earlier than us, but it isnt as straight forward as that, the problem is that the virus has hit countries differently and at different times, so to compare us with the Czech republic is like saying Accrington Stanley are the most successful team in England because they have won the last 3 games whilst Liverpool have drawn one so their manager must be getting it right and Klopp wrong.

Perhaps this will take year to sort out as you pessimistically say at the end, but we have to keep moving forward, over thousands of year people die as society evolves whether that is inventing the sword, the cannon, the train, the plane the atomic bomb or a super virus, as we progress we have to adapt and find solutions

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Time to cancel this lockdown on 12:58 - Apr 28 with 378 viewssolent_toffee

Time to cancel this lockdown on 12:44 - Apr 28 by this_charming_man

Only for really thick people that need it spelling out to them. It really isn’t ambiguous at all. Most people I know aside from a few f*ck wits (unfortunately related by marriage) arent struggling with it.

Thick and selfish or just hard faced. People queuing up for ages to buy a couple of plants in B & Q, couples and families going to the supermarket. Not necessarily people I know but people you see on social media or out and about on my one hour a day and fortnightly trip to the shops. Agreed though, it is a minority but last weekend there did seem to be an awful lot of traffic round ours (Hamble Lane, traffic fans), with cars packed with families off for days out or to the shops.
Time to cancel this lockdown on 12:58 - Apr 28 with 378 viewsthis_charming_man

Time to cancel this lockdown on 12:55 - Apr 28 by SaintNick

If you notice the opening of shops is not about big business it is about essentials, by the very way we lead our lives these days that means supermarkets are how we shop for food and without them we can't feed the population of this country.

We can never have 100 % lockdown, we have to eat and to a lesser degree excercise, so some things are necessary evils.

Therefore you can get 250 office workers to work from home, but we cant eat through our computers and before you say the infrastructure is not there to have complete home deliveries.

The whole point of lockdown was to limit contact, it could never be eradicated completely.

The virus might last longest on plastic but food has to be kept fresh and hygienic and again this is not possible without the use of packaging, most food is bought through supermarkets and they do not have the infrastructure to do things in a more individual way.

If you think the government is guessing then you need to look deeper, they are taking medical and scientific advice and they are following on that advice, this is not a political statement it is fact.

The opposition parties are keen to point out the things that have gone wrong, but what they are not so keen to admit is that they would have done exactly the same thing as they would have been getting exactly the same advice from the same people if they were in power.

The Government would be dead in the water if they were asked the question are you following the medical and scientific advice ? and they replied they weren't but just guessing themselves.

Why has no one asked that question, because they know the answer, that they are sticking to the advice given.

The problem is that there is little information on the best way to treat the advice and China held back on admitting the problem for too long so we had little time to prepare or to guage what would be the right or wrong way to go forward, from this perspective there will be times when wrong decisions are made, but no one can be blamed as at the time they didn't know the right path to follow, like anything things have to be tried and discounted until the right remedy is found.

It is easy to say that some countries went into lockdown earlier than us, but it isnt as straight forward as that, the problem is that the virus has hit countries differently and at different times, so to compare us with the Czech republic is like saying Accrington Stanley are the most successful team in England because they have won the last 3 games whilst Liverpool have drawn one so their manager must be getting it right and Klopp wrong.

Perhaps this will take year to sort out as you pessimistically say at the end, but we have to keep moving forward, over thousands of year people die as society evolves whether that is inventing the sword, the cannon, the train, the plane the atomic bomb or a super virus, as we progress we have to adapt and find solutions

Very well said. So many people are desperate to point out what the government is doing wrong and they know so much better but like you say they’re following expert advise but no one seems to answer that. All people want to do is rant about what they think has been done wrong

Time to cancel this lockdown on 13:16 - Apr 28 with 355 viewsSaintNick

Time to cancel this lockdown on 12:58 - Apr 28 by solent_toffee

Thick and selfish or just hard faced. People queuing up for ages to buy a couple of plants in B & Q, couples and families going to the supermarket. Not necessarily people I know but people you see on social media or out and about on my one hour a day and fortnightly trip to the shops. Agreed though, it is a minority but last weekend there did seem to be an awful lot of traffic round ours (Hamble Lane, traffic fans), with cars packed with families off for days out or to the shops.

The thing is you are just assuming people are queuing up just to buy a couple of plants, indeed B & Q is not really a good example as it only opened at the weekend.

They might also be in there to get something essential, likewise you don't know what the situation is for individuals, we shop once a week, but we also have to do the shopping for my partners elderly mother who cant get out because she is awaiting a cataract op cancelled due to this lockdown, that can't always be done at the same time as our shop and I then have to drive 7 miles to deliver it .

I am working from home but I still have to post stuff that means a trip out maybe 2-3 times a week sometimes I can combine that with shopping but other times I cant.

Yes there are some thick and selfish people out there and I have seen plenty, but we should not assume that everyone is

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Time to cancel this lockdown on 13:19 - Apr 28 with 349 viewsthis_charming_man

Time to cancel this lockdown on 12:58 - Apr 28 by solent_toffee

The rules are quite clear though

Don’t mix with anyone outside your household
You can go out for exercise once a day
You can go to the shops for food and essential stuff

It isn’t really that ambiguous you can’t really blame Boris Johnson because Maureen in Chippenham wants to buy a plant pot. As nick put it so well it’s impossible to have a total lock down

Time to cancel this lockdown on 13:27 - Apr 28 with 337 viewssolent_toffee

Time to cancel this lockdown on 13:16 - Apr 28 by SaintNick

The thing is you are just assuming people are queuing up just to buy a couple of plants, indeed B & Q is not really a good example as it only opened at the weekend.

They might also be in there to get something essential, likewise you don't know what the situation is for individuals, we shop once a week, but we also have to do the shopping for my partners elderly mother who cant get out because she is awaiting a cataract op cancelled due to this lockdown, that can't always be done at the same time as our shop and I then have to drive 7 miles to deliver it .

I am working from home but I still have to post stuff that means a trip out maybe 2-3 times a week sometimes I can combine that with shopping but other times I cant.

Yes there are some thick and selfish people out there and I have seen plenty, but we should not assume that everyone is

I haven’t assumed that everyone is thick and selfish and it’s clear that it is a minority. And I completely understand doing more than trip out as I would do the same for my dad if I lived near him. Whole families going around the shops though is a daft, particularly when there us limited spaces in the aisle and people are feeling a bit vulnerable when they go the shops (Christ, I sound like someone off mumsnet, but I do t get out much these days!!).

I honestly don’t think it’s a matter of intelligence either, I just think that some people don’t think rules apply to them, whether that’s in a time of lockdown or in general.
Time to cancel this lockdown on 13:30 - Apr 28 with 330 viewsthis_charming_man

Time to cancel this lockdown on 13:27 - Apr 28 by solent_toffee

I haven’t assumed that everyone is thick and selfish and it’s clear that it is a minority. And I completely understand doing more than trip out as I would do the same for my dad if I lived near him. Whole families going around the shops though is a daft, particularly when there us limited spaces in the aisle and people are feeling a bit vulnerable when they go the shops (Christ, I sound like someone off mumsnet, but I do t get out much these days!!).

I honestly don’t think it’s a matter of intelligence either, I just think that some people don’t think rules apply to them, whether that’s in a time of lockdown or in general.

Probably a mix of arrogance and stupidity to be honest

The two people I referenced above who I know one is just thick as sh1t and doesn’t get it the other is so far up her own arse it’s a wonder she hasn’t disappeared inside it. why should I stop seeing my friends? It’s not that bad here, no one I know has had it and we are all healthy so we’d be fine even if we did get it. It is quite incredible.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024