Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
If you could have signed one player 12:02 - Apr 27 with 8880 viewsAtThePeake

Moving things back to football...

One of the ideas for a podcast topic that we've had is to talk about players we'd have loved to have seen in a Dale shirt, so for some inspiration I thought I'd ask - if you could have signed one player from an opposition team, who would it be? (Trying to keep it as realistic as possible, I don't think Harry Kane was about to jump ship from Spurs).

Kevin Ellison has to be up there for me. I remember when he signed for Morecambe my Dad said we should have gone for him but I told him he was too old. 9 years, 340 appearances and 81 goals later I think I've been proven wrong. Always got under the skin of opposition players and fans, could play in a few different positions and seemed to carry a constant threat, even in his advancing years.

On the other end of the scale - which players are you glad we never signed? I remember being quite heavily linked with both Tes Bramble and Shaun Harrad in the past only for both to sign for different local sides and neither quite lived up to expectations. Expensive bullets dodged on both occasions I think.

Tangled up in blue.

If you could have signed one player on 12:06 - Apr 27 with 5412 views442Dale

Brett Pitman. Could watch him all day. Wasted in the modern game, if he’d been about in the 80s/90s he’d have strolled about with ease at the top level.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

If you could have signed one player on 12:20 - Apr 27 with 5384 viewsD_Alien

Jonathan Stead, especially around 2015 when he left Huddersfield

37 now, but has continued banging the goals in wherever he's been since

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

If you could have signed one player on 12:44 - Apr 27 with 5348 viewskel

Jay Spearing. Watched a Blackpool game last season and he controlled it with ease.
If you could have signed one player on 13:07 - Apr 27 with 5291 viewsisitme

Nathan Cameron before his knee injury. At that time we didn't really has a consistent pairing and Cameron was quick, strong and dominant. He looked destined for greater things then after his knee injury he seemed to suffer from one injury after another.

An honourable mention for Nat Brown. Technically limited but a big, quick physical presence in front of the back four.
[Post edited 27 Apr 2020 15:08]
If you could have signed one player on 13:31 - Apr 27 with 5261 viewsboromat

Although maybe not popular but similar to Ellison I think in League 2 especially Danny Whitaker would have been a great signing.

Poll: What are we more excited for?

If you could have signed one player on 13:42 - Apr 27 with 5243 viewsncfc_chalky

Beckham when he was rumoured to be coming to Meadow Lane in the 2009/10 season....

(ducks for cover )

Poll: Will you purchase any shares?...

If you could have signed one player on 13:46 - Apr 27 with 5235 viewsChaffRAFC

I asked Keith Hill the question after a Studds Bar indie night while he was pissed. He was talking football outside while we were waiting for a taxi and I asked him, if he could sign one player for that current squad who would it be and instantly he said Marc Richards. Yes, I know we had him on loan but we only got him for a month I seem to recall but Hill went on about how he's one of the best and most underrated strikers in the lower leagues and he wanted to sign him many times but could never afford him.

My own views, I'd have loved to see Leo Fortune-West many moons ago. Top striker at our level. Big, powerful and scored plenty of goals.

I also always wanted us to sign Andy Butler. We came so very close a few years back where I believe he even came for talks but it didn't happen for whatever reason but he was an absolute rock at the back for everyone he's played for near enough.

Would also add Richie Wellens to this. Top class player at our level.

Would they have worked out, we'll never know but I also remember seeing Lee Hodges score one of the best goals I've ever seen for Scunthorpe in the FA Cup and instantly wishing we had him at Dale from then on. Then Simpson did the unthinkable and signed him and it was the single biggest waste of talent I've ever seen!

As for dodget bullets, I agree with the Shaun Harrod mention. I wanted us to sign him as well and am very glad we didn't. Also gonna mention Lee Croft at Oldham. Looked a really good player so always wanted us to sign him but then let himself go in terms of fitness big time.

If I hadn't seen such riches, I could live with being poor

If you could have signed one player on 13:51 - Apr 27 with 5225 viewselectricblue

Tont Ellis in his prime would have been quite something.......

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

Login to get fewer ads

If you could have signed one player on 15:45 - Apr 27 with 5112 viewssxdale

If you could have signed one player on 13:46 - Apr 27 by ChaffRAFC

I asked Keith Hill the question after a Studds Bar indie night while he was pissed. He was talking football outside while we were waiting for a taxi and I asked him, if he could sign one player for that current squad who would it be and instantly he said Marc Richards. Yes, I know we had him on loan but we only got him for a month I seem to recall but Hill went on about how he's one of the best and most underrated strikers in the lower leagues and he wanted to sign him many times but could never afford him.

My own views, I'd have loved to see Leo Fortune-West many moons ago. Top striker at our level. Big, powerful and scored plenty of goals.

I also always wanted us to sign Andy Butler. We came so very close a few years back where I believe he even came for talks but it didn't happen for whatever reason but he was an absolute rock at the back for everyone he's played for near enough.

Would they have worked out, we'll never know but I also remember seeing Lee Hodges score one of the best goals I've ever seen for Scunthorpe in the FA Cup and instantly wishing we had him at Dale from then on. Then Simpson did the unthinkable and signed him and it was the single biggest waste of talent I've ever seen!

As for dodget bullets, I agree with the Shaun Harrod mention. I wanted us to sign him as well and am very glad we didn't. Also gonna mention Lee Croft at Oldham. Looked a really good player so always wanted us to sign him but then let himself go in terms of fitness big time.

Agree about Hodges was amazed we had managed to sign a player of his pedigree, l seem to remember although a long time ago that Simmo played himself in Hodges position I didn't think he had the chance to play himself into any kind of form.
1 player I always wanted us to sign was Nicky Forster when he left Gillingham but ended up a Brentford. Years later I worked with his brother and used to go up and watch him when he was at Birmingham. The joys of complementary tickets 😁
If you could have signed one player on 17:12 - Apr 27 with 5035 viewsBigDaveMyCock

In recent times, and pre McShane, I would have liked to have seen Peter Clarke adding some much needed experience to central defence.
I would have liked Jason Taylor on a permanent deal as well. Quality in the first promotion season, so much so that a lot of people, including myself, thought he didn’t deserve to lose his place to a returning Gary Jones.
[Post edited 27 Apr 2020 17:17]

Poll: Was the Incredible Hulk a sh!thouse?

If you could have signed one player on 17:25 - Apr 27 with 5012 viewsAtThePeake

If you could have signed one player on 17:12 - Apr 27 by BigDaveMyCock

In recent times, and pre McShane, I would have liked to have seen Peter Clarke adding some much needed experience to central defence.
I would have liked Jason Taylor on a permanent deal as well. Quality in the first promotion season, so much so that a lot of people, including myself, thought he didn’t deserve to lose his place to a returning Gary Jones.
[Post edited 27 Apr 2020 17:17]

I'd add Tommy Lee too as a loan player I'd have loved to see return permanently.

Tangled up in blue.

If you could have signed one player on 19:33 - Apr 27 with 4900 viewsoddjob007

Before reading the responses, the first player that popped into my head was Kevin Ellison.

Does anyone know what his scoring record against us was? I'm sure he would score every time he played us!

Also agree with Jason Taylor, gutted when he didn't stay!
If you could have signed one player on 20:38 - Apr 27 with 4838 viewsBigDaveMyCock

If you could have signed one player on 19:33 - Apr 27 by oddjob007

Before reading the responses, the first player that popped into my head was Kevin Ellison.

Does anyone know what his scoring record against us was? I'm sure he would score every time he played us!

Also agree with Jason Taylor, gutted when he didn't stay!

I know history proved Jones to be the better player but that short-lived partnership of Taylor and Kennedy was just brilliant.
There was a point midway through that season where everyone just seemed to be seen off 3 or 4 nil. How that team didn’t lift the league trophy that year still baffles me. Maybe Taylor was the key.

If you could have signed one player on 21:01 - Apr 27 with 4807 viewsBigDaveMyCock

If you could have signed one player on 13:42 - Apr 27 by ncfc_chalky

Beckham when he was rumoured to be coming to Meadow Lane in the 2009/10 season....

(ducks for cover )

Looking back, would you rather have had Sol Campbell for one game or not at all?

We had Bergkamp you know, for a month.

If you could have signed one player on 21:50 - Apr 27 with 4759 viewsncfc_chalky

If you could have signed one player on 21:01 - Apr 27 by BigDaveMyCock

Looking back, would you rather have had Sol Campbell for one game or not at all?

We had Bergkamp you know, for a month.

Not at all as i never liked him
When he first signed for Notts they had him selling merchandise in the club shop as I publicly stunt (not that we needed it then) and he sold me a shirt,Russell King was in the room at the same time but obviously I didn't know who he was

Edit

I'm presuming that it wasn't Dennis that you had on loan for a month?
[Post edited 27 Apr 2020 22:04]

Poll: Will you purchase any shares?...

If you could have signed one player on 21:59 - Apr 27 with 4744 viewsfinberty

If you could have signed one player on 13:46 - Apr 27 by ChaffRAFC

Fortune-West had a fine record, yet I remember at least one occasion him being completely snuffed-out by Rochdale's centre back at the time, who conceded several inches heightwise, but stood his ground effectively.

Keith Hill
If you could have signed one player on 22:15 - Apr 27 with 4726 viewsBigDaveMyCock

If you could have signed one player on 21:50 - Apr 27 by ncfc_chalky

Not at all as i never liked him
When he first signed for Notts they had him selling merchandise in the club shop as I publicly stunt (not that we needed it then) and he sold me a shirt,Russell King was in the room at the same time but obviously I didn't know who he was

Edit

I'm presuming that it wasn't Dennis that you had on loan for a month?
[Post edited 27 Apr 2020 22:04]

No, fortunately not. He wouldn’t have fitted in to the fact we had no style of play and I fear the same club shop debacle would have ensued if footballs equivalent of Mr T would have realised his life long ambition.
We had Roland, Dennis’s nephew. Roland’s hair was fairish and that’s where any similarity with his uncle firmly ended. White men can’t jump. Of course they can, but you did wonder after you watched him.

If you could have signed one player on 22:24 - Apr 27 with 4711 viewsChaffRAFC

If you could have signed one player on 22:15 - Apr 27 by BigDaveMyCock

No, fortunately not. He wouldn’t have fitted in to the fact we had no style of play and I fear the same club shop debacle would have ensued if footballs equivalent of Mr T would have realised his life long ambition.
We had Roland, Dennis’s nephew. Roland’s hair was fairish and that’s where any similarity with his uncle firmly ended. White men can’t jump. Of course they can, but you did wonder after you watched him.

Currently playing in the third tier of Dutch football.

A truly awful signing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roland_Bergkamp

If I hadn't seen such riches, I could live with being poor

If you could have signed one player on 22:38 - Apr 27 with 4686 viewsdale1968

Would have loved a few players at Spotland.

David Reeves
Brett Pitman
Phil Stant (In His Prime)

Poll: Should The Military Assist The Police Over Covid Compliance.

If you could have signed one player on 22:38 - Apr 27 with 4685 viewsBigDaveMyCock

If you could have signed one player on 22:24 - Apr 27 by ChaffRAFC

Currently playing in the third tier of Dutch football.

A truly awful signing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roland_Bergkamp

I’m genuinely surprised he’s had any sort of career in the game at all. His only saving grace is that at least he can say I’m not as sh!t as George Weah’s cousin, marginally.
[Post edited 27 Apr 2020 22:39]

If you could have signed one player on 00:14 - Apr 28 with 4620 viewsThacks_Rabbits

If you could have signed one player on 22:38 - Apr 27 by BigDaveMyCock

I’m genuinely surprised he’s had any sort of career in the game at all. His only saving grace is that at least he can say I’m not as sh!t as George Weah’s cousin, marginally.
[Post edited 27 Apr 2020 22:39]

It’s hard to say 1 player in so many eras of football, but I will aim at the Sutton era, as we were linked with a striker a week back then, many of which were real quality players.

I recall us being linked with (in press rumours or general chat) Marco gabbiodini, Steve Wilkinson, Geoff horsfield, Mike conroy, Dave bamber, Leo fortune west, Shaun goater, tony naylor, the list of Sutton’s strikers was amazing, sadly Paul Williams eventually appeared and proved to be as bad in the dressing room as he was on the pitch.

This is a bit left field but I always thought Ian Juryeff was a cracking player at our level, fast, could finish and was probably very affordable for us, not a big name but steady decent player.

Kevin Ellison and Andy Butler in later eras are great calls, Dean Smith I would also add, scored a few against us I recall for Hereford and solid at the back!

Every Team Needs A John Ryan - The Winger Who's a Ringer!!!!!
Poll: Which player would you rather have if Twitter rumour is correct (unlikely)

If you could have signed one player on 03:58 - Apr 28 with 4577 viewsjacko_dale

Brett Pitman or Jamie Forrester, if only to stop them scoring against us every bloody game!
If you could have signed one player on 08:36 - Apr 28 with 4522 viewsBigDaveMyCock

If you could have signed one player on 00:14 - Apr 28 by Thacks_Rabbits

It’s hard to say 1 player in so many eras of football, but I will aim at the Sutton era, as we were linked with a striker a week back then, many of which were real quality players.

I recall us being linked with (in press rumours or general chat) Marco gabbiodini, Steve Wilkinson, Geoff horsfield, Mike conroy, Dave bamber, Leo fortune west, Shaun goater, tony naylor, the list of Sutton’s strikers was amazing, sadly Paul Williams eventually appeared and proved to be as bad in the dressing room as he was on the pitch.

This is a bit left field but I always thought Ian Juryeff was a cracking player at our level, fast, could finish and was probably very affordable for us, not a big name but steady decent player.

Kevin Ellison and Andy Butler in later eras are great calls, Dean Smith I would also add, scored a few against us I recall for Hereford and solid at the back!

I remember Juryeff at Halifax. He was their best player by a country mile and I did wonder at the time how he ended up there.

One of the best performances I’ve ever seen against Dale was Elliott Benyon for Torquay in the 5-0 promotion spoiler. His pace and movement that day were as good as I have seen from a player in the bottom two divisions. I would have liked to have seen him here.
Who was that American winger who tore Joe Bunney, then his replacement Tom Kennedy and then his replacement Scott Tanser new uns in one game? It was like a Bruce Lee film where they all line up to get thumped by Bruce. All these left backs lining up to get turned inside out. Ding, next left back to utterly humiliate please.
[Post edited 28 Apr 2020 8:40]

If you could have signed one player on 08:41 - Apr 28 with 4513 viewsisitme

I'm pretty sure it was Gboly Ariyibi who now plays in Greece. Supposedly that was by far and away his best every game and shocked his own supporters as much as ours! He did absolutely destroy what ever player we put against him.
If you could have signed one player on 08:50 - Apr 28 with 4501 viewsBigDaveMyCock

If you could have signed one player on 08:41 - Apr 28 by isitme

I'm pretty sure it was Gboly Ariyibi who now plays in Greece. Supposedly that was by far and away his best every game and shocked his own supporters as much as ours! He did absolutely destroy what ever player we put against him.

It was a stunning performance. That good you didn’t mind it being against us, just glad you witnessed it.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024