Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Reading any good books right now? 18:33 - May 24 with 2338 viewskernow

Like a good read.
At the moment it's military history, The Road to Berlin, sequel to the Road to Stalingrad by Prof John Erickson.
Bought them both for 50p at the village fete last year.

World War 2 was won in the wheat fields of Ukraine and the forests of Byelorussia.

Marshall Zhukov is a Hero of the Soviet Union and goes down well under my roof.
Reading any good books right now? on 18:38 - May 24 with 2325 viewscynicalsaint

Anti-fragile by NN Taleb.

He predicted it all...

Oh, and watch out for GM crops. You heard it here first!
[Post edited 24 May 2020 18:40]
Reading any good books right now? on 18:39 - May 24 with 2326 viewsWints76

Just finished the Bill Bryson one on the body (some bits were very apt for these times with regards to pandemics) and have now started on one called The Only Plane in the Sky. It is like one if the Forgotten Voices series about the war but the subject is 9/11
[Post edited 24 May 2020 18:43]
Reading any good books right now? on 18:59 - May 24 with 2284 viewsOccasional_Showers

Eighteenth Century Silver Tea Tongs, by Dr David Shlosberg.

Poll: Did you break any lockdown rules?

Reading any good books right now? on 19:45 - May 24 with 2251 viewssolent_toffee

Just started reading Shane Warne’s autobiography, looking forward to getting to the parts when he used to play for Hampshire. It’s a good read so far but makes me long for the cricket.
Reading any good books right now? on 20:18 - May 24 with 2239 viewsYarman

James Holland's NORMANDY '44 ( D-DAY and the Battle for France)
Reading any good books right now? on 20:45 - May 24 with 2213 viewsSadoldgit

Just finished Bill Bruford: The Autobiography. Former Yes, King Crimson, Earthworks etc drummer. Very interesting read and some good stories about the early days of progressive rock in the 70’s. Not so much an autobiography, more an insight into the music industry then and now. Interesting to get an insight into the music I used to listen to growing up, although it turns out Bruford is more of a Jazz fan than rock.
Reading any good books right now? on 21:31 - May 24 with 2196 viewsTripleNiemi

Have you read 'All Hell Let Loose' by Max Hastings? If not and you are into WWII history then i highly recommend it. I couldn't put it down.

Currently reading fiction (and on my 7th book of the year); an old classic 'Hound of the Baskervilles'.

Ready and waiting to mop up those European places......

Reading any good books right now? on 22:40 - May 24 with 2167 viewsWaylander

Priest of Bones by Peter McClean
Peaky Blinders with magic!
Login to get fewer ads

Reading any good books right now? on 20:46 - May 26 with 2080 viewsBlue

When Broken Glass Floats - Chanrithy Him.

Story of a young girl growing up under the Pol Pot/Khmer Rouge regime in 1970's Cambodia.

It's an incredibly moving book, this is the third time I have read it. I highly recommend it, if you are interested in that era, or part of the world.

Still stood in the Kippax

Reading any good books right now? on 20:55 - May 26 with 2075 viewsTheMoog

Arduino for Dummies

Standby to standby

Reading any good books right now? on 21:02 - May 26 with 2069 viewsgrumpy

The Indian Mutiny by Saul David was brilliant.
Reading any good books right now? on 21:47 - May 26 with 2050 viewssaint22

Sing backwards and weep Mark Lanegan bio is very good
Re reading George Orwell 1984 rather prescient tbh
Liberation through Hearing by Richard Russell
Reading any good books right now? on 07:04 - May 27 with 1999 viewsHeisenberg

Just finished Thomas Asbridge book on the Crusades. Revisiting old poetry I studied as a student which was a long time ago. Always on the look out for recommendations particularly non fiction.

“Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously'
Poll: Who should get a statue outside the old girl ?

Reading any good books right now? on 08:11 - May 27 with 1991 viewsTripleNiemi

Reading any good books right now? on 20:46 - May 26 by Blue

When Broken Glass Floats - Chanrithy Him.

Story of a young girl growing up under the Pol Pot/Khmer Rouge regime in 1970's Cambodia.

It's an incredibly moving book, this is the third time I have read it. I highly recommend it, if you are interested in that era, or part of the world.

Might just procure this book and give it a go once i have finished my current read.

Ok so my question to you all is, do you still read hard traditonal copies of text, or are you e readers?

Personally i was always traditional and preferred physical books however in an effort to de clutter i have converted to kindle (although i have retained around 40 or 50 of my favourites that i simply cannot ditch).

Ready and waiting to mop up those European places......

Reading any good books right now? on 08:41 - May 27 with 1982 viewsJaySaint

Taming the 4 horsemen

bit of a grim read as written by a chap (an expolorer) who predicts the 4 areas that will decimate humanity. He actually predicted a pandemic like scenario that we are seeing now

Poll: Who is responsible for Liverpool's defeat?

Reading any good books right now? on 08:42 - May 27 with 1977 viewsSadoldgit

I don’t mind reading small amounts of text electronically but can’t read an e book so it is old fashioned books for me.

Having seen the film and not having read any Ian McEwan, I have just started reading On Chesil Beach. So far so good. It was set in 1962 (I was 8 then) so is a period piece that I can relate to. The Swinging 60’s has yet to take off and it describes very well the (British) sexual repression of the times.
Reading any good books right now? on 18:34 - May 27 with 1939 viewsfranniesTache

Generally i have a work book and a non work book on the go at any given time, i've just finished this as my work book

amazon.co.uk/Thinking-Fast-Slow-Daniel-Kahneman/dp/0141033576

and i'm about to start this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hit-Makers-Science-Popularity-Distraction/dp/110198032X

and i've just got this on order as my non work book

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Confederacy-Dunces-John-Kennedy-Toole/dp/0141182865
Reading any good books right now? on 21:29 - May 27 with 1895 viewsBlue

Reading any good books right now? on 08:11 - May 27 by TripleNiemi

Might just procure this book and give it a go once i have finished my current read.

Ok so my question to you all is, do you still read hard traditonal copies of text, or are you e readers?

Personally i was always traditional and preferred physical books however in an effort to de clutter i have converted to kindle (although i have retained around 40 or 50 of my favourites that i simply cannot ditch).

Some cheap copies on amazon. Beware, it's emotional, and hard to put down, despite the depravity the Khmer Rouge showed they were capable of.

For me I have to have the physical copy of a book, I read constantly, can't remember the last time I bought a paper, every break at work, I've got my head stuck in something, currently a book on eastern European football.

Still stood in the Kippax

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024