Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Who do you think the best Prime Minister of the last 40 years has been? 20:27 - May 26 with 7131 viewsHappy_Jack

Who do you think the best Prime Minister of the last 40 years has been?

Your Vote:

You need to be logged in to vote on our site polls

Millbrook Furnishing shop floor level banter
Poll: Who do you think the best Prime Minister of the last 40 years has been?

Who do you think the best Prime Minister of the last 40 years has been? on 21:52 - May 26 with 6036 viewsOccasional_Showers

I voted Johnson because although Thatcher was wonderful I think Boris us on course to be legendary.

Poll: Did you break any lockdown rules?

Who do you think the best Prime Minister of the last 40 years has been? on 01:49 - May 27 with 5969 viewsdirk_doone

Nobody in their right mind would say Thatcher. She destroyed British industry, which is the reason why we now have to import everything. The only thing that covered up the disaster of her economic policies was selling off all of our North Sea oil.

She encouraged Argentina to invade the Falklands, when intelligence reports clearly would have allowed her to head off the invasion before it happened, purely to save her own career because opinion polls showed she was the most unpopular PM in British history and a war was about the only thing that could save her.

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Who do you think the best Prime Minister of the last 40 years has been? on 07:02 - May 27 with 5926 viewsSadoldgit

A pretty depressing list when you consider some of the great PMs we have had through history. I have tried to put them into order but it’s not been easy as there is so much dross there but the bottom four have been bloody awful for this country.

Brown
Major
Blair
Cameron
May
Thatcher
Johnson
Who do you think the best Prime Minister of the last 40 years has been? on 08:09 - May 27 with 5913 viewsPatfromPoole

Brown for me.

About the only one with any integrity, with the possible exception of May.

Poll: If we win a play-off semi at St. Mary’s should there be a pitch invasion?

Who do you think the best Prime Minister of the last 40 years has been? on 08:18 - May 27 with 5904 viewsTripleNiemi

Some proper coonts in this list....Champagne Tony.....Thatcher....and then we have the unelected Brown. Remember that ārse getting caught out on camera calling some old bird a horrible or vile woman?

All of them were only in power for self interest. I mean, why would all of these multi millionaires take up a job to earn less than a Championship player?

Ready and waiting to mop up those European places......

Who do you think the best Prime Minister of the last 40 years has been? on 08:36 - May 27 with 5881 viewsSadoldgit

Who do you think the best Prime Minister of the last 40 years has been? on 08:09 - May 27 by PatfromPoole

Brown for me.

About the only one with any integrity, with the possible exception of May.

For me too. I agree about May having integrity, she was just a useless PM. Thatcher was a dreadful, divisive woman who blinkered outlook and ideology led us to where we are today. The selfishness which is so apparent in many Tories now was born in the Yuppie era under Thatcherism. I never liked Blair as an MP, too slippery by far and as a PM took us into a war on false pretences just to suck up to the Yanks. He gets a few brownie points from me for sh@gging Murdoch’s then wife though. Cameron, May and Johnson have been a procession of weak and ineffectual leaders that have been played by Farage and the crazy eurosceptic right. I would have said that the last 3 will be defined by Brexit but now Johnson will be defined by his poor handling of the pandemic. I remember not thinking much of Brown or Major at the time, but looking back and comparing them with others on this list, they didn’t do too badly.
Who do you think the best Prime Minister of the last 40 years has been? on 10:01 - May 27 with 5841 viewsSadoldgit

Who do you think the best Prime Minister of the last 40 years has been? on 08:18 - May 27 by TripleNiemi

Some proper coonts in this list....Champagne Tony.....Thatcher....and then we have the unelected Brown. Remember that ārse getting caught out on camera calling some old bird a horrible or vile woman?

All of them were only in power for self interest. I mean, why would all of these multi millionaires take up a job to earn less than a Championship player?

He called her a “bigoted woman”. Apparently she had issues over his immigration policy and her town becoming like a “third world country”.

Brown would need to go some to beat Johnson. Tank top bum boys, picanninies with watermelon smiles and saying that Muslim women look like letter boxes trump bigot any day of the week.
[Post edited 27 May 2020 10:41]
Who do you think the best Prime Minister of the last 40 years has been? on 11:15 - May 27 with 5811 viewsBazza

Who do you think the best Prime Minister of the last 40 years has been? on 10:01 - May 27 by Sadoldgit

He called her a “bigoted woman”. Apparently she had issues over his immigration policy and her town becoming like a “third world country”.

Brown would need to go some to beat Johnson. Tank top bum boys, picanninies with watermelon smiles and saying that Muslim women look like letter boxes trump bigot any day of the week.
[Post edited 27 May 2020 10:41]

Why Brown? He was only there cos his mate Blair did a deal with him. Terribly boring speaker. Didn’t he sell off the UK gold reserves at a rock bottom price?
Login to get fewer ads

Who do you think the best Prime Minister of the last 40 years has been? on 11:39 - May 27 with 5788 viewsSadoldgit

Interesting to see Thatcher now in the lead. I wonder if her votes are wind ups or if people genuinely think she was the best?
Who do you think the best Prime Minister of the last 40 years has been? on 12:51 - May 27 with 5780 viewsdirk_doone

Who do you think the best Prime Minister of the last 40 years has been? on 11:39 - May 27 by Sadoldgit

Interesting to see Thatcher now in the lead. I wonder if her votes are wind ups or if people genuinely think she was the best?

The 1979 oil crisis tripled the price of oil at a time when North Sea oil reserves were massive. UK oil production was increased in every one of the Thatcher years. We were awash with oil money, like The Emirates, Kuwait or Saudi Arabia, during her years as PM. Of course, ultimately we helped flood the market and used up most of our oil reserves. There's very little left today. The oil exports covered what would otherwise have been a massive trade deficit as British heavy industry was all but closed down by Thatcher.

The next thing was voters love a leader who wins a war. At the time the Falklands crisis started, opinion polls showed that Thatcher was the most unpopular prime minister in British history. After the war, the same polls showed she was one of the most popular. There was no need for that war. Previous PMs had used intelligence warnings to send ships to the Falklands to warn off the Argentinians; Thatcher did the opposite: she had been told they were preparing to invade but did nothing about it. She basically invited them in to trigger a war.

If Boris Johnson were to lure a weaker nation into a war and win it, he would be even more popular than she was, and that's without billions of petro-dollars at his disposal.
[Post edited 27 May 2020 13:05]

Who do you think the best Prime Minister of the last 40 years has been? on 14:10 - May 27 with 5724 viewsSadoldgit

My first opportunity to vote in a GE was 1974. I wasn’t too bothered about politics in those days and voted Tory as my parents always voted for them. Harold Wilson won. By 1979 I took a bit more interest and thought the unions had too much power, so voted for Thatcher. By 1983 I had realised what an awful person she was and the power had swung from the unions too far in favour of the government. My vote when to the Liberal and Social Democrat alliance and thereafter to the LidDems apart from the last two elections when I voted Labour. We live in a conservative country and generally shy away from extremes. In an ideal world we would have a better voting system that produced coalitions so that we have a balance between the creation of wealth and public expenditure. All of the parties have some policies that would benefit our society as a whole. The trouble is when you get stuck with one ideology for a while you have to put up with good and bad policies that become ingrained (like 10 years of austerity). God knows where we are going to end up. More austerity I suppose as the pandemic has screwed the economy for now and Brexit will for the next decade. Happy days!
Who do you think the best Prime Minister of the last 40 years has been? on 16:03 - May 27 with 5711 viewsdirk_doone

Who do you think the best Prime Minister of the last 40 years has been? on 14:10 - May 27 by Sadoldgit

My first opportunity to vote in a GE was 1974. I wasn’t too bothered about politics in those days and voted Tory as my parents always voted for them. Harold Wilson won. By 1979 I took a bit more interest and thought the unions had too much power, so voted for Thatcher. By 1983 I had realised what an awful person she was and the power had swung from the unions too far in favour of the government. My vote when to the Liberal and Social Democrat alliance and thereafter to the LidDems apart from the last two elections when I voted Labour. We live in a conservative country and generally shy away from extremes. In an ideal world we would have a better voting system that produced coalitions so that we have a balance between the creation of wealth and public expenditure. All of the parties have some policies that would benefit our society as a whole. The trouble is when you get stuck with one ideology for a while you have to put up with good and bad policies that become ingrained (like 10 years of austerity). God knows where we are going to end up. More austerity I suppose as the pandemic has screwed the economy for now and Brexit will for the next decade. Happy days!

Talking of Brexit, which will soon be the main political topic again, the weak pound will have an economic impact. It will make British exports cheap and imports from the EU expensive. This might encourage manufacturers in this country.

20 years ago the pound was worth €1.75. Today it's worth €1.11. Could it dip below one euro in value? It's never done that before.

Who do you think the best Prime Minister of the last 40 years has been? on 16:50 - May 27 with 5684 viewsSadoldgit

Wouldn’t it be great if we starting making things again instead being a country of service industries and baristas!!
Who do you think the best Prime Minister of the last 40 years has been? on 16:53 - May 27 with 5684 viewsOccasional_Showers

Thatcher is romping home on the UI.

Poll: Did you break any lockdown rules?

Who do you think the best Prime Minister of the last 40 years has been? on 11:32 - Jul 8 with 5140 viewsdirk_doone

It's not a particularly inspiring list. Hopefully, whoever comes next will be an improvement. That shouldn't be too difficult.

Who do you think the best Prime Minister of the last 40 years has been? on 11:35 - Jul 8 with 5125 viewsButty101

Who do you think the best Prime Minister of the last 40 years has been? on 11:32 - Jul 8 by dirk_doone

It's not a particularly inspiring list. Hopefully, whoever comes next will be an improvement. That shouldn't be too difficult.

i was thinking there was slm pickings on that list

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

Who do you think the best Prime Minister of the last 40 years has been? on 12:11 - Jul 8 with 5058 viewsSouthamptonfan

Blair and Thatcher were our best PMs. They both won three elections in a row, with some huge majorities.

Poll: After Nick's revelation, would you welcome back Danny Ings?

Who do you think the best Prime Minister of the last 40 years has been? on 12:04 - Sep 5 with 4630 viewsSadoldgit

https://www.telegraphindia.com/world/boris-johnson-tops-poll-of-bad-uk-prime-min
Who do you think the best Prime Minister of the last 40 years has been? on 13:08 - Sep 5 with 4591 viewsfranniesTache

Brown and Major are the only two who i think truly did the job with the interests of the country at heart
Who do you think the best Prime Minister of the last 40 years has been? on 17:30 - Sep 5 with 4477 viewsBazza

Who do you think the best Prime Minister of the last 40 years has been? on 13:08 - Sep 5 by franniesTache

Brown and Major are the only two who i think truly did the job with the interests of the country at heart

Shame they were both appalling speakers.
Who do you think the best Prime Minister of the last 40 years has been? on 17:40 - Sep 5 with 4467 viewsfranniesTache

Who do you think the best Prime Minister of the last 40 years has been? on 17:30 - Sep 5 by Bazza

Shame they were both appalling speakers.

An unpopular hill i'll die on is that John Major was more important for peace with Ireland than Tony Blair was and is harshly overlooked in the history of it.

He did what very few prime ministers in my lifetime have done and risked his own government for the common good knowing it was the right thing to do.
Who do you think the best Prime Minister of the last 40 years has been? on 18:30 - Sep 5 with 4421 viewsI_would

None.
Rather have Prowsey as PM rather than that bunch of duplicitous, lying conniving, criminal, cheating bar stewards. As for Thatcher, just a traitor.

There you are that says it all. Prowsey's seems a spiffing chap, just needs to speed up...... and tackle............ and play forwards

Poll: How many players should RH play at the back on Saturday?

Who do you think the best Prime Minister of the last 40 years has been? on 16:24 - Sep 6 with 4259 viewsBridders2

The unions were run by communists and had been destroying British industry for 20 years. Our products were bad and old fashioned, remember British Leyland and red Robbo? Thatcher stopped that process and modernised the British economy. She also paid back huge amounts of government debt with the oil revenue money. It's ridiculous to suggest she started the Falklands war, Argentina deliberately invaded another country...nasty dictators do things like that a' la Mr Putin.
Blair closed more coal mines than Thatcher, ramped immigration to record levels and killed hundreds of thousands of people in Iraq.
Brown inherited a boom economy from Major but left the country bankrupt after encouraging everyone to take cheap credit...Max out on your cards etc. A total disaster that took 10 years to recover from.
Who do you think the best Prime Minister of the last 40 years has been? on 18:44 - Sep 6 with 4185 viewsgrumpy

Who do you think the best Prime Minister of the last 40 years has been? on 16:24 - Sep 6 by Bridders2

The unions were run by communists and had been destroying British industry for 20 years. Our products were bad and old fashioned, remember British Leyland and red Robbo? Thatcher stopped that process and modernised the British economy. She also paid back huge amounts of government debt with the oil revenue money. It's ridiculous to suggest she started the Falklands war, Argentina deliberately invaded another country...nasty dictators do things like that a' la Mr Putin.
Blair closed more coal mines than Thatcher, ramped immigration to record levels and killed hundreds of thousands of people in Iraq.
Brown inherited a boom economy from Major but left the country bankrupt after encouraging everyone to take cheap credit...Max out on your cards etc. A total disaster that took 10 years to recover from.

So much wrong in that masterpiece.
Who do you think the best Prime Minister of the last 40 years has been? on 07:31 - Sep 21 with 3831 viewscocklebreath

Who do you think the best Prime Minister of the last 40 years has been? on 16:24 - Sep 6 by Bridders2

Jesus Christ. And Jesus Christ 1st and 2nd Thatcher and Boris

Poll: Who is the biggest c*nt?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024