Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Top Three Go To Places... 08:27 - Jun 2 with 2085 viewssolent_toffee

Since the lockdown.

Royal Victoria Country Park - Go for an early morning walk there at least once a week before the crowds arrive.

Hamble - via the Strawberry trail

Manor Farm - Again via the Strawberry trail.

Feel very lucky to have to have these on the door step. The weather helps, but this past few months has been a great reminder of what a great place this is to live.
Top Three Go To Places... on 09:52 - Jun 2 with 2015 viewsBuggalugs

My top 3 go-to dog walking places of choice since lockdown have been:

The New Forest - Newbridge/Furzley
The New Forest - Denny Wood
The New Forest - Matley

Vast, unspoilt areas of woodland/heathland with pretty streams and an abundance of animals/wildlife. All within 10 minutes of home and even around the peak early evening time, barely a sole around.

Poll: How do YOU define a racist?

Top Three Go To Places... on 09:52 - Jun 2 with 2018 viewssaint68

Ringstead beach
Osmington Mills
Chesil beach

All great for long walks and never crowded.

Poll: Who would you want to save this season Pellegrino or Adkins

Top Three Go To Places... on 11:44 - Jun 2 with 1982 viewsTimSaint

People are a bit slow this morning !!

When I opened this thread, I was 100% sure that someone would have replied with : Durham, Durham Hospital and Barnard Castle !! :-)

I have many walk and run routes from my house that I use regularly.

Now that I am able to travel a little further a field for exercise etc, I am a little reluctant, mainly due to the vast crowds that larger parks and the like have attracted so far and more importantly, that they seem to be filled with cvnts ignoring social distancing.

We love a long walk in the New Forest (and many other places) with a pub lunch en route - so can't wait for the chance to do it again !!

TimSaint

Top Three Go To Places... on 11:46 - Jun 2 with 1982 viewsdirk_doone

If you are looking for the best walks in the area, I would recommend these 2 books. I've done all of the walks in Hampshire:

50 Walks in Hampshire & IOW (AA 50 Walks)

Pathfinder Outstanding Circular Walks 12 - New Forest Hampshire & South Downs

Once you've completed all of them, you can move on to the 50 walks in Sussex, Dorset, Wiltshire, Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Gloucestershire, Surrey etc, which I've also completed. My problem now is that I've done all of the walks within a 60 mile radius, as well as the South Downs Way and Solent Way, so I have to drive quite far or stay overnight to find new ones. Lately, we've been taking walking holidays in Yorkshire.

Personally, I like being up on the South Downs in Sussex or on the Dorset coast so they are my favourite areas for repeat walks.

In Hampshire, my favourite places for walking are Rockbourne/Whitsbury and East Meon/ Old Winchester Hill. Of course, a lot depends on what type of scenery you prefer. I like downland and mountains more than forests but I quite like the 8-mile walk around Dead Man's Plack in Harewood Forest, which takes in one of the prettiest villages in the county, Wherwell.
[Post edited 2 Jun 2020 12:00]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Top Three Go To Places... on 12:28 - Jun 2 with 1937 viewsSalisburySaint

Top Three Go To Places... on 11:46 - Jun 2 by dirk_doone

If you are looking for the best walks in the area, I would recommend these 2 books. I've done all of the walks in Hampshire:

Once you've completed all of them, you can move on to the 50 walks in Sussex, Dorset, Wiltshire, Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Gloucestershire, Surrey etc, which I've also completed. My problem now is that I've done all of the walks within a 60 mile radius, as well as the South Downs Way and Solent Way, so I have to drive quite far or stay overnight to find new ones. Lately, we've been taking walking holidays in Yorkshire.

Personally, I like being up on the South Downs in Sussex or on the Dorset coast so they are my favourite areas for repeat walks.

In Hampshire, my favourite places for walking are Rockbourne/Whitsbury and East Meon/ Old Winchester Hill. Of course, a lot depends on what type of scenery you prefer. I like downland and mountains more than forests but I quite like the 8-mile walk around Dead Man's Plack in Harewood Forest, which takes in one of the prettiest villages in the county, Wherwell.

I did the walk at Rockbourne / Whitsbury weekend before lockdown came in, done loads of walks in and around Salisbury in the last 3 months, most of them supposed to be Pub Walks, with the weather as it’s been shame we’ve not been able to enjoy drinking in pub gardens at end/during walks.

since lockdown I’ve discovered footpaths, bridleways and rights of way in and around Salisbury I never new exists, and I’ve lived in Salisbury over 50 years, been great fun.

Last weekend ventured over the border to Stockbridge for another great walk, part of which was down the old test valley railway, were unfortunately encountered several cyclists treating it as a road, and did not slow down for walkers as a result had to jump out the way of the selfish bast*rds
[Post edited 2 Jun 2020 12:30]
Top Three Go To Places... on 12:32 - Jun 2 with 1922 viewsdirk_doone

Top Three Go To Places... on 12:28 - Jun 2 by SalisburySaint

I did the walk at Rockbourne / Whitsbury weekend before lockdown came in, done loads of walks in and around Salisbury in the last 3 months, most of them supposed to be Pub Walks, with the weather as it’s been shame we’ve not been able to enjoy drinking in pub gardens at end/during walks.

since lockdown I’ve discovered footpaths, bridleways and rights of way in and around Salisbury I never new exists, and I’ve lived in Salisbury over 50 years, been great fun.

Last weekend ventured over the border to Stockbridge for another great walk, part of which was down the old test valley railway, were unfortunately encountered several cyclists treating it as a road, and did not slow down for walkers as a result had to jump out the way of the selfish bast*rds

Yes, the Stockbridge - Longstock - Danebury Hill walk is another good one.

Near where you live, Tollard Royal-Win Green Hill and Westbury Hill are 2 of my favourite walking areas.
[Post edited 2 Jun 2020 12:44]

Top Three Go To Places... on 12:48 - Jun 2 with 1910 viewsSaintNick

Top Three Go To Places... on 12:32 - Jun 2 by dirk_doone

Yes, the Stockbridge - Longstock - Danebury Hill walk is another good one.

Near where you live, Tollard Royal-Win Green Hill and Westbury Hill are 2 of my favourite walking areas.
[Post edited 2 Jun 2020 12:44]

I have done a few cycle rides of late

1, Urban route, Millbrook Road, City Centre, Common, Shirley and back

2. New Forest route, Cadnam, Bartley, Ashurst, Marchwood, Totton

3. Suburb route, Redbridge, Nursling, Millbrook, Regents Park

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Top Three Go To Places... on 12:55 - Jun 2 with 1902 viewsdirk_doone

Top Three Go To Places... on 12:48 - Jun 2 by SaintNick

I have done a few cycle rides of late

1, Urban route, Millbrook Road, City Centre, Common, Shirley and back

2. New Forest route, Cadnam, Bartley, Ashurst, Marchwood, Totton

3. Suburb route, Redbridge, Nursling, Millbrook, Regents Park

Do you ever cycle to the Royal Oak at Fritham? Of course, it would be closed right now but it's a nice area for walking and cycling.
[Post edited 2 Jun 2020 12:58]

Login to get fewer ads

Top Three Go To Places... on 15:16 - Jun 2 with 1826 viewssolent_toffee

I prefer coastal walks, often go down to Dorset and walk the ridge from Corfe Castle to Studland and back. Absolutely stunning.

There was one on ITV the other week with Julie Bradbury, it was awesome, through an enchanted wood. Proper English countryside walk.
Top Three Go To Places... on 16:38 - Jun 2 with 1793 viewsdirk_doone

Top Three Go To Places... on 15:16 - Jun 2 by solent_toffee

I prefer coastal walks, often go down to Dorset and walk the ridge from Corfe Castle to Studland and back. Absolutely stunning.

There was one on ITV the other week with Julie Bradbury, it was awesome, through an enchanted wood. Proper English countryside walk.

Have you followed the coastal path round past the cliffs at Hook yet? It gets much quieter there. Start in Lower Swanwick, near the Old Ship, walk through the boatyards alongside the river to the Rising Sun at Warsash and then continue past Solent Breezes Holiday Park. You can then either cut back through Hook or take several routes to Titchfield, depending on how far you want to walk, and get a bus back to Bursledon from there. Of course if you do it with another car owner, you can leave one of your cars on the seafront at Titchfield Haven Nature Reserve.

Another nice coastal walk in the area is Emsworth to Langstone. It's only a short one, so you can walk back to Emsworth after stopping off for a drink at The Royal Oak (when it's open again).

Also, when you're doing that Manor Farm walk (which you can continue on to Botley), it's worth having a look inside St Bartholomew's Church, with its quaint wooden pews and old funeral carriage.

Yes, I agree, Corfe Castle and Studland are great. Old Harry Rocks!

If you walk a lot in Dorset, you might come across the Dorset Rambler. He's a really interesting old chap and a lot of fun to walk with. This is his blog:

https://thedorsetrambler.com/

[Post edited 3 Jun 2020 7:26]

Top Three Go To Places... on 17:50 - Jun 2 with 1740 viewsNumber_58

I've cycled past Hatchett Pond near Beaulieu a couple of times recently and I've never seen it so busy. Car park rammed, cars parked on the roadsides all over the place, people all round the edges of the pond. In the water there were loads of kids swimming, and there were kayakers and a few people on inflatables. This despite the big signs telling them not to go in the water due to the dangers, and the fact that at the far end of the pond there was a large group of cattle basically using the place as a toilet. I'm not sure if there'll be a second spike in covid-19, but I wouldn't be surprised if there's an outbreak of Weils Disease.
Top Three Go To Places... on 18:16 - Jun 2 with 1726 viewsRon11

Top Three Go To Places... on 09:52 - Jun 2 by Buggalugs

My top 3 go-to dog walking places of choice since lockdown have been:

The New Forest - Newbridge/Furzley
The New Forest - Denny Wood
The New Forest - Matley

Vast, unspoilt areas of woodland/heathland with pretty streams and an abundance of animals/wildlife. All within 10 minutes of home and even around the peak early evening time, barely a sole around.

What, no fish?
Top Three Go To Places... on 18:21 - Jun 2 with 1717 viewsRon11

Top Three Go To Places... on 17:50 - Jun 2 by Number_58

I've cycled past Hatchett Pond near Beaulieu a couple of times recently and I've never seen it so busy. Car park rammed, cars parked on the roadsides all over the place, people all round the edges of the pond. In the water there were loads of kids swimming, and there were kayakers and a few people on inflatables. This despite the big signs telling them not to go in the water due to the dangers, and the fact that at the far end of the pond there was a large group of cattle basically using the place as a toilet. I'm not sure if there'll be a second spike in covid-19, but I wouldn't be surprised if there's an outbreak of Weils Disease.

There's going to be a rash of attacks on tw*t cyclists if they don't get stopped riding on footpaths that are clearly marked "NO CYCLING'.
Top Three Go To Places... on 18:33 - Jun 2 with 1712 viewsBuggalugs

Top Three Go To Places... on 18:16 - Jun 2 by Ron11

What, no fish?

Poll: How do YOU define a racist?

Top Three Go To Places... on 19:41 - Jun 2 with 1686 viewsHappy_Jack

Nice one Dirk I'll check some of those out. Walking is my absolute favourite thing to do. From Striding Edge in the Lake District to The Valley Of Rocks in Somerset I love it. There are some beautiful places to walk in Britain.

Millbrook Furnishing shop floor level banter
Poll: Who do you think the best Prime Minister of the last 40 years has been?

Top Three Go To Places... on 20:02 - Jun 2 with 1673 viewsdirk_doone

Top Three Go To Places... on 19:41 - Jun 2 by Happy_Jack

Nice one Dirk I'll check some of those out. Walking is my absolute favourite thing to do. From Striding Edge in the Lake District to The Valley Of Rocks in Somerset I love it. There are some beautiful places to walk in Britain.

Thank you, Jack. Most people probably think I ramble too much on this forum.

What is your all-time favourite walk (or three)?
[Post edited 2 Jun 2020 20:33]

Top Three Go To Places... on 21:48 - Jun 2 with 1608 viewsSaintNick

Top Three Go To Places... on 12:55 - Jun 2 by dirk_doone

Do you ever cycle to the Royal Oak at Fritham? Of course, it would be closed right now but it's a nice area for walking and cycling.
[Post edited 2 Jun 2020 12:58]

Ive been there but not cycled there, mainly stayed between Totton Cadnam, Ashurst and Marchwood

Top Three Go To Places... on 21:53 - Jun 2 with 1605 viewsBison

Top Three Go To Places... on 21:48 - Jun 2 by SaintNick

Ive been there but not cycled there, mainly stayed between Totton Cadnam, Ashurst and Marchwood

I'm taking the kids and my novice mate fishing in Bramshaw tomorrow. There are some wild looking cows wondering up there .

Trust no one in a circus.
Poll: Who do you blame for saints not winning every game ?

Top Three Go To Places... on 08:33 - Jun 3 with 1498 viewsSaintNick

Top Three Go To Places... on 21:53 - Jun 2 by Bison

I'm taking the kids and my novice mate fishing in Bramshaw tomorrow. There are some wild looking cows wondering up there .

Gets a bit hilly around Bramshaw for me

Top Three Go To Places... on 08:52 - Jun 5 with 1333 viewsRon11

Top Three Go To Places... on 12:28 - Jun 2 by SalisburySaint

I was a regular at the Barley Mow, loved living in Amesbury and Salisbury.
Top Three Go To Places... on 09:34 - Jun 5 with 1311 viewsSalisburySaint

Top Three Go To Places... on 08:52 - Jun 5 by Ron11

I was a regular at the Barley Mow, loved living in Amesbury and Salisbury.

sadly Barley Mow like a lot of pubs you would have known now closed
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024