Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Little Britain 22:56 - Jun 9 with 2407 viewsSaintsforeverj

So Little Britain has been removed from our screens. Fawlty Towers, Royal Family and Only Fools and Horses will apparently also be removed from Netflix etc. Little Britain took the p out of everybody, not just black people. And it was a joke to be enjoyed. They took the p out of gay people, and one of the lead characters, Matt Lucas is gay, so was all meant in good taste.

So any of us who like a bit of "edgy" comedy, will soon be going underground and buying dvds on the black market to sneak in an episode of a comedy classic!
[Post edited 9 Jun 2020 23:02]

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

Little Britain on 23:07 - Jun 9 with 1364 viewsSteveMoron

It's all getting a bit silly now.
Little Britain on 23:17 - Jun 9 with 1346 viewsSaintsforeverj

Little Britain on 23:07 - Jun 9 by SteveMoron

It's all getting a bit silly now.

Certainly is. The human race is now part of computer game, where everybody says and does what they are programmed to say and do.

Little Britain on 23:31 - Jun 9 with 1322 viewsGennaro_Contaldo

Oh FFS, what a load of crap. I know comedy hasn't been 'allowed' for a couple of years now, but this is ridiculous.

Although re: Royle Family and Only Fools - looks like they were leaving Netflix months ago anyway as the BBC/ITV are pushing this Britbox sh*t. I'm not subscribing to YET ANOTHER service to occasionally watch some old funnies, I'll go without.
[Post edited 9 Jun 2020 23:35]

The UI; For the sophisticated gentleman
Poll: Where will Saints finish in the 2018/19 season

Little Britain on 23:33 - Jun 9 with 1317 viewsRon11

We're being dictated to by a minority.
Most normal people watching Little Britain, Only Fools & Horses or even Fawlty Towers would just be having a good laugh - and not in a racist way.
Imagine the outcry and horror something like the 'Black & White Minstrel Show' would produce today, and I would agree that it's very inappropriate in these tetchy times, but when it was first aired everybody loved it, and nobody as far as I know regarded it as racist or aimed at black people as an insult - it was never intended to be that way.
Racism being infiltrated and used as a vehicle by the far marxist left.
Little Britain on 05:58 - Jun 10 with 1217 viewsSteveMoron

I wonder what they'll do about the film 'White Chicks' on Netflix. I'm thoroughly offended. 😉
Little Britain on 06:06 - Jun 10 with 1214 viewscocklebreath

That’s is ridiculous, watched it with my kids recently and they loved it. Stupid new world

Poll: Who is the biggest c*nt?

Little Britain on 08:17 - Jun 10 with 1116 viewsGennaro_Contaldo

I'm still angry about this today. Do we actually now live in a fascist state? "You aren't allowed to watch that and find it funny"

Little Britain on 08:36 - Jun 10 with 1097 viewsHeisenberg

Little Britain on 23:33 - Jun 9 by Ron11

We're being dictated to by a minority.
Most normal people watching Little Britain, Only Fools & Horses or even Fawlty Towers would just be having a good laugh - and not in a racist way.
Imagine the outcry and horror something like the 'Black & White Minstrel Show' would produce today, and I would agree that it's very inappropriate in these tetchy times, but when it was first aired everybody loved it, and nobody as far as I know regarded it as racist or aimed at black people as an insult - it was never intended to be that way.
Racism being infiltrated and used as a vehicle by the far marxist left.

There was opposition to the Minstrels show way back in the 1960's. The origins for the act came from the USA. During the Minstels show opposition was voiced by Civil Rights and Anti Racist campaigners in the US and the UK which the BBC chose to ignore. It was highly offensive then as it is now.

As for Little Britain both David Walliams and Matt Lucas have said there were parts of the programme they would not make now so times have moved on.

I agree though we need to careful with any censorship. The right to make jokes needs to be balanced with the need to avoid offence. I can't stand Jim Davidson and wouldn't want him on the telly but if paying punters want to go and see that trash then that is their choice I guess.

“Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously'
Poll: Who should get a statue outside the old girl ?

Login to get fewer ads

Little Britain on 08:39 - Jun 10 with 1089 viewsBoris_

Little Britain on 23:31 - Jun 9 by Gennaro_Contaldo

Oh FFS, what a load of crap. I know comedy hasn't been 'allowed' for a couple of years now, but this is ridiculous.

Although re: Royle Family and Only Fools - looks like they were leaving Netflix months ago anyway as the BBC/ITV are pushing this Britbox sh*t. I'm not subscribing to YET ANOTHER service to occasionally watch some old funnies, I'll go without.
[Post edited 9 Jun 2020 23:35]

The Netflix Only Fools and Horses when they first came out were the best as they were uncensored. I never realised as a kid growing up much casual racism was in there.

But it's easy to censor them, as UK Gold has. Not sure why they can't just do that with Little Britain.

The country has lost its sense of humour and is now being ruled by a generation of absolute snowflakes coming through our Universities.

Poll: Claude Puel

Little Britain on 08:55 - Jun 10 with 1075 viewsWints76

Some things do change, and I wouldn't want to see some sorts of the things that were shown back in the 70s and 80s back on tv. There was one of those talking head/clip shows called 'It was acceptable in the 70s', and really, it is hard to see how some of it was!

The one that I find most interesting is Alf Garnett. People say that there is no way they could show it now, and they are probably right, but as Warren Mitchell pointed out, if you are laughing with Alf, then you aren't getting it and shouldn't be watching. Alf himself is the pathetic loser.

Also, if they are getting rid of Little Britain , what about Come Fly With Me? That was much better but nobody talked about it as much.
Little Britain on 09:01 - Jun 10 with 1061 viewsVagina_Dentata

Things get removed or moved to other streaming services all the time. Little Britain, Only Fools and the Royal Family can still be bought on dvd, along with all those other programmes like Love Thy Neighbour and Curry and Chips etc.

If the sale and ownership of them became illegal, that would be a different matter.

you can drink your weak lemon drink now.

Little Britain on 09:20 - Jun 10 with 1038 viewsBicester_North

Little Britain on 08:55 - Jun 10 by Wints76

Some things do change, and I wouldn't want to see some sorts of the things that were shown back in the 70s and 80s back on tv. There was one of those talking head/clip shows called 'It was acceptable in the 70s', and really, it is hard to see how some of it was!

The one that I find most interesting is Alf Garnett. People say that there is no way they could show it now, and they are probably right, but as Warren Mitchell pointed out, if you are laughing with Alf, then you aren't getting it and shouldn't be watching. Alf himself is the pathetic loser.

Also, if they are getting rid of Little Britain , what about Come Fly With Me? That was much better but nobody talked about it as much.

They’ve got rid of Come Fly with Me as well.

Poll: Who do you feel most sorry for

Little Britain on 09:20 - Jun 10 with 1036 viewsBicester_North

Little Britain on 09:01 - Jun 10 by Vagina_Dentata

Things get removed or moved to other streaming services all the time. Little Britain, Only Fools and the Royal Family can still be bought on dvd, along with all those other programmes like Love Thy Neighbour and Curry and Chips etc.

If the sale and ownership of them became illegal, that would be a different matter.

Yeah but this got moved because of the current protests.

Poll: Who do you feel most sorry for

Little Britain on 10:03 - Jun 10 with 993 viewsRon11

Little Britain on 08:39 - Jun 10 by Boris_

The Netflix Only Fools and Horses when they first came out were the best as they were uncensored. I never realised as a kid growing up much casual racism was in there.

But it's easy to censor them, as UK Gold has. Not sure why they can't just do that with Little Britain.

The country has lost its sense of humour and is now being ruled by a generation of absolute snowflakes coming through our Universities.

Your point that the country has lost it's sense of humour is spot on.
I used to be a regular in the Montagu Arms on the Old Kent Road in South London where the likes of Jimmy Jones, Jim Davidson and other stand ups of the day performed. They had a go at everybody-
Paddies, Pakis, Spooks and yes,Honkeys - I never sensed any malice in it, and not all the comedians were white. Some of the black stand ups would go straight in with jokes about the size of the white man's dick etc, etc. All taken in good humour
The audience was always made up of at least half West Indian and Jamaican people (as they were known then) who laughed at the all the jokes and banter, everybody knew everybody else (all races) drank together at the bar, and I never saw any trouble.
As you say, snowflakes everywhere, especially sad that they're even running the police force.
Little Britain on 10:45 - Jun 10 with 969 viewsSteveMoron

Little Britain on 09:20 - Jun 10 by Bicester_North

They’ve got rid of Come Fly with Me as well.

Come Fly with Me is just not appropriate in the current climate. No flying I mean.
Little Britain on 10:50 - Jun 10 with 966 viewsDorsetIan

Little Britain on 10:03 - Jun 10 by Ron11

Your point that the country has lost it's sense of humour is spot on.
I used to be a regular in the Montagu Arms on the Old Kent Road in South London where the likes of Jimmy Jones, Jim Davidson and other stand ups of the day performed. They had a go at everybody-
Paddies, Pakis, Spooks and yes,Honkeys - I never sensed any malice in it, and not all the comedians were white. Some of the black stand ups would go straight in with jokes about the size of the white man's dick etc, etc. All taken in good humour
The audience was always made up of at least half West Indian and Jamaican people (as they were known then) who laughed at the all the jokes and banter, everybody knew everybody else (all races) drank together at the bar, and I never saw any trouble.
As you say, snowflakes everywhere, especially sad that they're even running the police force.

You forget to mention Bernard Manning.

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

Little Britain on 11:03 - Jun 10 with 942 viewsSadoldgit

I would have been more impressed if they had got rid of Little Britain on the basis that it wasn’t that funny.

I used to live with the daughter of a principal singer from the Black & White Minstrels. They gave Lenny Henry his first big break and said that he was more than happy to be in the show at the time. He was adamant that the show wasn’t racist but looking back it looks very bad. He used to tour with another singer without black face but was often asked to black up by the fans.

There were some shows like Love Thy Neighbour and Till Death Do Us Part plus stand ups like Jim Davidson that makes you wonder how they ever got on TV although we were supposed to laugh at Alf Garnett, make people didn’t get the satire and laughed with him.

I’m sure that The Two Ronnie used to black up for some sketches now and again. Peter Sellers turned up for an interview with Michael Parkinson wearing a German helmet.

Different times, the 70’s. Very strange looking back on them now.
Little Britain on 11:26 - Jun 10 with 922 viewsSaintsforeverj

This sort of "people controlling" doesn't sit well with me. There is probably an argument for banning anything -
Eastenders too violent, 18 rated films too violent, watching documentaries about the elderly being ageist, watching history documentaries about the war too shocking.

In China, everybody is watched by cameras, phones are taken away at the airport so that you can be tracked and many rules placed upon you. We are slowly heading towards a communist state in the UK arn't we. You can't say this, you can't say that. You can't watch this, you can't watch that.

Why can't we just choose what to watch and what not to watch? If someone finds something distasteful, fair enough don't watch it. If they think it's racist, fair enough, say so. But stopping everybody making their own choice is just wrong.

Little Britain on 11:29 - Jun 10 with 912 viewsSadoldgit

Thing is, if you have found something to be distasteful after you have watched it, it is too late. I don’t see anything wrong with a warning system before a programme or a rating system for films.
Little Britain on 11:38 - Jun 10 with 910 viewsVagina_Dentata

Little Britain on 11:26 - Jun 10 by Saintsforeverj

This sort of "people controlling" doesn't sit well with me. There is probably an argument for banning anything -
Eastenders too violent, 18 rated films too violent, watching documentaries about the elderly being ageist, watching history documentaries about the war too shocking.

In China, everybody is watched by cameras, phones are taken away at the airport so that you can be tracked and many rules placed upon you. We are slowly heading towards a communist state in the UK arn't we. You can't say this, you can't say that. You can't watch this, you can't watch that.

Why can't we just choose what to watch and what not to watch? If someone finds something distasteful, fair enough don't watch it. If they think it's racist, fair enough, say so. But stopping everybody making their own choice is just wrong.

This is fair, and I completely agree. The dvds are still available to buy and keep and enjoy for as long as you want. You can still buy Birth of a Nation on blu-ray despite its racist content; as an historical document not a celebration.

I don’t think media should censored. But content providers do have the right to not provide it.

you can drink your weak lemon drink now.

Little Britain on 11:44 - Jun 10 with 900 views1885_SFC

Little Britain on 10:50 - Jun 10 by DorsetIan

You forget to mention Bernard Manning.

Another comedian who I thought was hilarious back in the day. I get that times have obviously moved on - but I'm certainly not apologising for laughing at Bernard, Little Britain, Love Thy Neighbour, etc all those years ago.

It's a changing world and I'm okay with that.

Old School is Cool

Little Britain on 11:50 - Jun 10 with 892 viewsSaintsforeverj

Little Britain on 11:29 - Jun 10 by Sadoldgit

Thing is, if you have found something to be distasteful after you have watched it, it is too late. I don’t see anything wrong with a warning system before a programme or a rating system for films.

Absolutely, warn people before hand. It's a bit like going to watch a stand-up comedian. People are warned that there might be offensive material in it. If you don't like it, don't go! But banning everything is well over the top. And this is authorities response to the protests you see, banning everything as what else can they do.

Little Britain on 11:51 - Jun 10 with 891 viewsGennaro_Contaldo

Little Britain on 11:29 - Jun 10 by Sadoldgit

Exactly, that's what the BBFC is for, right?

But removing stuff from our screens and preventing it being watched without choice is not on.

Let people make their own choice.

The thing is with comedy, someone has got to be the root cause of the joke, most jokes will cause offence to SOMEONE, that's what makes it funny.

Little Britain on 11:55 - Jun 10 with 888 viewsSaintsforeverj

Little Britain on 11:51 - Jun 10 by Gennaro_Contaldo

Exactly, that's what the BBFC is for, right?

But removing stuff from our screens and preventing it being watched without choice is not on.

Let people make their own choice.

The thing is with comedy, someone has got to be the root cause of the joke, most jokes will cause offence to SOMEONE, that's what makes it funny.

This is true. We have lost our sense of humour and everyone and everything is far too serious. A joke is exactly that, a joke and a laugh. If we can't laugh at anything or anyone (and these jokes arnt personal) we will have nothing to laugh about! I mean we might say northerners are pie eating foreigners. It's not personal to an individual, it's a joke!
[Post edited 10 Jun 2020 11:57]

Little Britain on 12:07 - Jun 10 with 867 viewsSadoldgit

Little Britain on 11:50 - Jun 10 by Saintsforeverj

Absolutely, warn people before hand. It's a bit like going to watch a stand-up comedian. People are warned that there might be offensive material in it. If you don't like it, don't go! But banning everything is well over the top. And this is authorities response to the protests you see, banning everything as what else can they do.

They used to give a warning before Game of Thrones to say that it contained scenes of a sexual nature and extreme violence. That is why I was watching it!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024