Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Outrage 21:18 - Jun 15 with 2523 viewsBicester_North

I need something to be outraged by this week, or a way of showing on social media how virtuous I am. Anyone got any suggestions?

Poll: Who do you feel most sorry for

Outrage on 21:51 - Jun 15 with 1780 viewsA1079

Not so much outrage Bicester as I am phlegmatic about things in some respects but 2 things have come to mind in the last 24 hours.

I don't know if you are watching the Salisbury poisonings which seems to be a really good reconstruction of what took place in 2018, but that is one thing which I will come onto.

Then driving home from work this evening there was a lady on Radio 5 (from Basingstoke ironically) who sounded decent, dignified and sincere. She had a good job but suddenly has nothing and she is on the edge financially. She was saying how she is struggling to get by and has never faced anything like this in her life because she has always worked her way through it. I am sure there are many hundreds of cases like her, which if we don't get the economy going will become a real lasting cost of these last few months.

But, what really left me thinking is this. What happened in Salisbury was state motivated poisonings - innocent people were placed in the most desperate situation and yet, by and large we let Russia get away with it. There were no protests by British people, no one marched on the Russian embassy, burnt Russians emblems or flags - we just grudgingly accepted it and moved on. But, had this been the USA how many of London's streets would have been filled with hate against America and the President, but nothing, but nothing against Putin or Russia who are consistently a threat to their neighbours and the west.

Then today, that piece on the radio spoke volumes. The media, the liberal left spend days and weeks covering a story of one man called Cummings and then they and thousands jump on the bandwagon of an event 4000 miles away and somehow turn it into a crisis here. Yet, there is so much that the media and the public should be focusing on in this country like decent hard working people that are struggling to just get by and yet it gets no focus. I am left wondering, what really matters to people, where are their loyalties because it does not seem it is with their own country or people, they don't seem to want to divert all that energy and passion into fighting for the very things that threaten us or ordinary average every day folk.

Not sure that is outrage Bicester just a rant really and is there to be pulled to shreds by just about everyone, but I have got off my chest!
Outrage on 22:00 - Jun 15 with 1760 viewsBuggalugs

Outrage on 21:51 - Jun 15 by A1079

Not so much outrage Bicester as I am phlegmatic about things in some respects but 2 things have come to mind in the last 24 hours.

I don't know if you are watching the Salisbury poisonings which seems to be a really good reconstruction of what took place in 2018, but that is one thing which I will come onto.

Then driving home from work this evening there was a lady on Radio 5 (from Basingstoke ironically) who sounded decent, dignified and sincere. She had a good job but suddenly has nothing and she is on the edge financially. She was saying how she is struggling to get by and has never faced anything like this in her life because she has always worked her way through it. I am sure there are many hundreds of cases like her, which if we don't get the economy going will become a real lasting cost of these last few months.

But, what really left me thinking is this. What happened in Salisbury was state motivated poisonings - innocent people were placed in the most desperate situation and yet, by and large we let Russia get away with it. There were no protests by British people, no one marched on the Russian embassy, burnt Russians emblems or flags - we just grudgingly accepted it and moved on. But, had this been the USA how many of London's streets would have been filled with hate against America and the President, but nothing, but nothing against Putin or Russia who are consistently a threat to their neighbours and the west.

Then today, that piece on the radio spoke volumes. The media, the liberal left spend days and weeks covering a story of one man called Cummings and then they and thousands jump on the bandwagon of an event 4000 miles away and somehow turn it into a crisis here. Yet, there is so much that the media and the public should be focusing on in this country like decent hard working people that are struggling to just get by and yet it gets no focus. I am left wondering, what really matters to people, where are their loyalties because it does not seem it is with their own country or people, they don't seem to want to divert all that energy and passion into fighting for the very things that threaten us or ordinary average every day folk.

Not sure that is outrage Bicester just a rant really and is there to be pulled to shreds by just about everyone, but I have got off my chest!

Poll: How do YOU define a racist?

Outrage on 22:01 - Jun 15 with 1756 viewsHeisenberg

I live on a 20 mph road with a primary school on it. And yet utter pricks seem to think it's ok to hammer down it like they are driving in a Grand Prix. And they drive those bell end cars that back fire. It's the one thing that utterly pisses me off. That and the complete tw@ts who leave their litter in the park. Bring back the stocks.

“Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously'
Poll: Who should get a statue outside the old girl ?

Outrage on 22:02 - Jun 15 with 1749 viewsBicester_North

Some good points there Mr 1079! That’s about what I was getting at, I don’t know if it’s the media, social media or what exaggerating views, but a lot of people seem intent on ripping the fabric of the UK up. It’s not perfect, but it’s one of the best countries in the world to live in, there is no doubt about that.

Some people are never happy unless they are blaming someone else for something.

Outrage on 22:14 - Jun 15 with 1722 viewsA1079

Outrage on 22:01 - Jun 15 by Heisenberg

I live on a 20 mph road with a primary school on it. And yet utter pricks seem to think it's ok to hammer down it like they are driving in a Grand Prix. And they drive those bell end cars that back fire. It's the one thing that utterly pisses me off. That and the complete tw@ts who leave their litter in the park. Bring back the stocks.

Can't argue with any of that either Heisenberg. Lovely Sunday afternoon yesterday and walking along the riverside in York and every so often some prat decides to ruin the ambience and peace by revving an engine pointlessly and don't get me started on litter - why are we so bad at it here? My parents would have murdered me even if I dared to drop a sweet wrapper and if I did they would damn make sure I didn't do it again.

Christ I am a miserable old git - I am not really, but I can appreciate I am giving you all that impression.
Outrage on 22:17 - Jun 15 with 1720 viewsRonManager

I was outraged when I heard that the Mighty Boosh was being harangued by the permanently outraged.

Here's Tony Harrison

I can remember when the internet was all fields

Outrage on 22:19 - Jun 15 with 1711 viewsDorsetIan

Outrage on 22:02 - Jun 15 by Bicester_North

Some good points there Mr 1079! That’s about what I was getting at, I don’t know if it’s the media, social media or what exaggerating views, but a lot of people seem intent on ripping the fabric of the UK up. It’s not perfect, but it’s one of the best countries in the world to live in, there is no doubt about that.

Nobody is trying to rip up the fabric of the UK. All anyone is trying to do is improve things for disadvantaged people, be they minority groups whose life chances are being hampered by prejudice, or ordinary working people whose life chances are being hampered by poverty. Just because this is a great country, doesn't mean it can't be better. Aim high.

Your comment that some people are never happy unless they are blaming someone else for something implies that all anyone has to do is pull themselves up by their own boot laces. I'm all for people taking personal responsibility. But I'm also for compassion and charity, and some people are dealt a lousy hand.

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

Outrage on 22:22 - Jun 15 with 1700 viewsBicester_North

Outrage on 22:19 - Jun 15 by DorsetIan

Nobody is trying to rip up the fabric of the UK. All anyone is trying to do is improve things for disadvantaged people, be they minority groups whose life chances are being hampered by prejudice, or ordinary working people whose life chances are being hampered by poverty. Just because this is a great country, doesn't mean it can't be better. Aim high.

Your comment that some people are never happy unless they are blaming someone else for something implies that all anyone has to do is pull themselves up by their own boot laces. I'm all for people taking personal responsibility. But I'm also for compassion and charity, and some people are dealt a lousy hand.

That’s why charities exist and we are all free to donate to them. No need to get outraged.

Login to get fewer ads

Outrage on 22:30 - Jun 15 with 1689 viewsDorsetIan

Outrage on 22:22 - Jun 15 by Bicester_North

That’s why charities exist and we are all free to donate to them. No need to get outraged.

Charities do excellent work, but they too campaign to change to improve things.

Why is it the 'outrage' that you object to so much?

Do you perceive all 'outrage' as virtue signalling? Can't you understand that people can be outraged by injustice. Shouldn't people be outraged by injustice?

Outrage on 22:36 - Jun 15 with 1673 viewsBicester_North

Outrage on 22:30 - Jun 15 by DorsetIan

Charities do excellent work, but they too campaign to change to improve things.

Why is it the 'outrage' that you object to so much?

Do you perceive all 'outrage' as virtue signalling? Can't you understand that people can be outraged by injustice. Shouldn't people be outraged by injustice?

Because the outrage divides people who ordinarily would have no axe to grind with each other. For instance, Brexit and George Floyd, Dominic Cummings. The microscopic media and social media focus on it, has created division.
Also, why do the outraged seem to focus on particular injustices which the media decide to jump on, when around the world there are millions of individual injustices every day?

As A1079 commented earlier, many of these are much closer to our own communities but are largely ignored. The outrage now is targeted at cases which fit the “outragees” political agendas, eg anti Tories, anti Labour, or Anti Trump for the yank obsessed people.

Outrage on 22:57 - Jun 15 with 1644 viewsDorsetIan

Outrage on 22:36 - Jun 15 by Bicester_North

Because the outrage divides people who ordinarily would have no axe to grind with each other. For instance, Brexit and George Floyd, Dominic Cummings. The microscopic media and social media focus on it, has created division.
Also, why do the outraged seem to focus on particular injustices which the media decide to jump on, when around the world there are millions of individual injustices every day?

As A1079 commented earlier, many of these are much closer to our own communities but are largely ignored. The outrage now is targeted at cases which fit the “outragees” political agendas, eg anti Tories, anti Labour, or Anti Trump for the yank obsessed people.

Aren't you assuming that it's always the same people being outraged? Different people get outraged about different things.

I also think that you are projecting. I think that you would maybe describe me as one of the habitually 'outraged' but you don't know me and, as it happens, I am a fairly low key individual who rarely get emotionally outraged by anything. I can recognise injustice and I can recognise a wrong-un but I am long enough in the tooth to have seen much of it before.

You are also making massive assumptions about people being lead by the media. and by people picking and choosing their outrage to meet their politics. Clearly the media has an influence but the media also follows the story, so is lead by what is happening in the world. Likewise, people's politics and views on things tend to go in parallel - so it might seem like they are being selective in their outrage but that's just how they feel.

Fundamentally, I can't be doing with all this trying to dismiss the views of other on the grounds of anything other than the views themselves. It you don't agree with the view, fine disagree but you don't need to undermine the person who holds the view by saying either that they are perpetually outraged, or are only pushing an agenda, or are a snowflake or are trying to run down the country, or should be discredited because they don't get bothered about other things...etc etc...it's these sorts of personal attacks that are the real cause of the divisiveness. We should be able to disagree without insulting or belittling each other's views and without question the good faith of those holding them.

Peace and love brother Bicester.

Outrage on 23:28 - Jun 15 with 1624 viewsBicester_North

Outrage on 22:57 - Jun 15 by DorsetIan

Aren't you assuming that it's always the same people being outraged? Different people get outraged about different things.

I also think that you are projecting. I think that you would maybe describe me as one of the habitually 'outraged' but you don't know me and, as it happens, I am a fairly low key individual who rarely get emotionally outraged by anything. I can recognise injustice and I can recognise a wrong-un but I am long enough in the tooth to have seen much of it before.

You are also making massive assumptions about people being lead by the media. and by people picking and choosing their outrage to meet their politics. Clearly the media has an influence but the media also follows the story, so is lead by what is happening in the world. Likewise, people's politics and views on things tend to go in parallel - so it might seem like they are being selective in their outrage but that's just how they feel.

Fundamentally, I can't be doing with all this trying to dismiss the views of other on the grounds of anything other than the views themselves. It you don't agree with the view, fine disagree but you don't need to undermine the person who holds the view by saying either that they are perpetually outraged, or are only pushing an agenda, or are a snowflake or are trying to run down the country, or should be discredited because they don't get bothered about other things...etc etc...it's these sorts of personal attacks that are the real cause of the divisiveness. We should be able to disagree without insulting or belittling each other's views and without question the good faith of those holding them.

Peace and love brother Bicester.

No need to think this was all about you Ian, not sure why you’re “projecting” as you call it, that I am talking about you?

Different views are all good. outrage about selective, trending cases is divisive.

What’s happening now is, if someone disagrees with, or in the case of young people and kids if they don’t change their profile picture colour etc due to a cause in particular media focus they get harangued for it. Not good that.

Sensible debate is becoming very difficult due to constant outrage.

Outrage on 05:54 - Jun 16 with 1574 viewssolent_toffee

Taking the dog for a walk at Victoria Country Park each morning. After a nice day previously, the amount of litter that is left by scruffy, lazy families, actually putting the remnants of their greedy picnic in the dog litter waste bins, blocking them up. I have a right moan with my fellow arl arse dog walkers, doing nothing about it like, perhaps a loud tut with a roll of the eyes.

They should be shot though.
Outrage on 06:41 - Jun 16 with 1565 viewsSalisburySaint

Well I’m outraged at the Salisbury Poisonings, everyone’s got a Brizzle accent, one just does not talk like that here, do we ?
Outrage on 08:01 - Jun 16 with 1529 viewssolent_toffee

Outrage on 22:22 - Jun 15 by Bicester_North

I’ve worked in the charity sector down here for almost 20 years and you are right there are charities that do a lot of work, excellent work in fact.

However, charities can’t be seen as a solution to societies problems, that’s why we have a government, that’s why we have leadership and that’s why we pay taxes.

The over reliance on charities inevitably means that people slip through the gaps, because there isn’t a charity that meets their needs. More often than not they are the most vulnerable in society. In 2020 Britain, I would say that they are children from poor families and the elderly. The government’s response to Marcus Rashford’s letter, campaigning on behalf of Fairshare, was heartless and will result in millions of kids going hungry this summer. Don’t get me wrong, many will be picked up by charities including in Southampton where Saints do a lot of work with Fairshare. But it’s very much a postcode lottery. And in this day and age, that’s not good enough.
Outrage on 08:48 - Jun 16 with 1495 viewssaint22

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2020/jun/15/permanent-secretaries-not-aware-
Outrage on 08:58 - Jun 16 with 1482 viewsBison

Outrage on 08:01 - Jun 16 by solent_toffee

I’ve worked in the charity sector down here for almost 20 years and you are right there are charities that do a lot of work, excellent work in fact.

However, charities can’t be seen as a solution to societies problems, that’s why we have a government, that’s why we have leadership and that’s why we pay taxes.

The over reliance on charities inevitably means that people slip through the gaps, because there isn’t a charity that meets their needs. More often than not they are the most vulnerable in society. In 2020 Britain, I would say that they are children from poor families and the elderly. The government’s response to Marcus Rashford’s letter, campaigning on behalf of Fairshare, was heartless and will result in millions of kids going hungry this summer. Don’t get me wrong, many will be picked up by charities including in Southampton where Saints do a lot of work with Fairshare. But it’s very much a postcode lottery. And in this day and age, that’s not good enough.

The Mrs controls the free school meal system at her school and they choose to not use the voucher system which a lot of parents complain about. They have weekly meal packs that can be collected on the Monday for the whole week so the kids get a meal a day.

I think that is the way forward as you would hopefully think that would go directly to the kids rather a cash voucher which I presume could be spent on anything. I am not judging but it only has a 50% take up as some parents can't be arsed to collect the meal packs.

Trust no one in a circus.
Poll: Who do you blame for saints not winning every game ?

Outrage on 09:12 - Jun 16 with 1470 viewssaint22

Outrage on 22:02 - Jun 15 by Bicester_North

The fabric of the UK is being ripped apart by useless governance and failed leadership
Outrage on 09:12 - Jun 16 with 1468 viewsBicester_North

Outrage on 08:01 - Jun 16 by solent_toffee

Yes fair play to the people that get involved in these projects and fair play to the likes of Rashford who is doing great stuff.
I know charities can’t do it by themselves and the government are responsible. I’m on mainly about people demonstrating their outrage, usually only on social media, for the cause of the month/week and the media whipping it up into a frenzy.
[Post edited 16 Jun 2020 9:13]

Outrage on 09:48 - Jun 16 with 1438 viewsBicester_North

Outrage on 09:12 - Jun 16 by saint22

The fabric of the UK is being ripped apart by useless governance and failed leadership

Here she is, great example. Post a few Guardian links to mongboards every day, that should help.

Outrage on 09:49 - Jun 16 with 1438 viewskernow

You don't need to refer to or be influenced by social or mainstream media to experience a sense of outrage at the incompetence and corruption of successive governments and politicians generally.

The current incumbents are no exception, they are actually excelling in their capacity to cause outrage. That is all I wish to say.
Outrage on 09:49 - Jun 16 with 1436 viewsDorsetIan

Outrage on 23:28 - Jun 15 by Bicester_North

No need to think this was all about you Ian, not sure why you’re “projecting” as you call it, that I am talking about you?

Different views are all good. outrage about selective, trending cases is divisive.

What’s happening now is, if someone disagrees with, or in the case of young people and kids if they don’t change their profile picture colour etc due to a cause in particular media focus they get harangued for it. Not good that.

Sensible debate is becoming very difficult due to constant outrage.

OK, not you perhaps, but others certainly.

I can readily agree that it's very difficult to argue with an 'outraged' person - and that that can lead to an emotional conflict, and emotional conflicts are hard to resolve.

What I can let you know the other way is that when I hear something being dismissed simply on the basis that it is 'outrage' (or bedwetting or snowflakery or whatever) that also creates an emotional division because the person doing the dismissing is essentially attacking the character of the arguer, rather than the argument they are making.

I would say that sensible debate is become very difficult because people are not respecting and listening to each other, for whatever reason (including outrage).

Outrage on 09:56 - Jun 16 with 1428 viewscocklebreath

Outrage on 22:01 - Jun 15 by Heisenberg

Agreed, since lockdown it’s been like Mad Max down my road. The roads are getting littered with Mac Donald’s rubbish as well now

Poll: Who is the biggest c*nt?

Outrage on 09:57 - Jun 16 with 1426 viewssaint22

Outrage on 09:48 - Jun 16 by Bicester_North

Here she is, great example. Post a few Guardian links to mongboards every day, that should help.

try reading pal
ignorance is bliss hey?
Outrage on 10:21 - Jun 16 with 1407 viewskingslandstand1

Outrage on 09:12 - Jun 16 by saint22

Have you written to Uncle Boris to tell him of your dismay at every single thing within this country, even the weather no doubt as I'm sure your pals at The Guardian will agree it's too hot at the moment, and I'm sure he will arrange a personal meeting with you to listen to your educated views so that you can have a sensible debate
You probably wouldn't turn up though as anything face to face doesn't work in your world
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024