Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Top of the Championship 08:13 - Jul 9 with 1415 viewssolent_toffee

Morning Saints

The Championship Is looking good and more interesting than the Premier league at this stage of the season, as always, even given the lack of crowd and unusual circumstances. Watched quite a few games over the past few weeks and the thing that stands out is the commitment from the players but also the flow of the game is much better without constantly waiting for a VAR intervention.

Anyway, who do you think will go up. I’d like to see Brentford break into the top two and squeeze out on Leeds or West Brom with Forest coming up via the play offs. A night out in Nottingham is long overdue.
Top of the Championship on 08:38 - Jul 9 with 1388 viewsgreen

I'd like Brentford to come up as well. Are they in their new ground next season? Fond memories of our last trip to Griffin Park and standing on the terraces in L1 promotion season.
Top of the Championship on 08:43 - Jul 9 with 1370 viewskernow

Brentford, Forest and Baggies.
Top of the Championship on 08:51 - Jul 9 with 1355 viewsBuggalugs

I'd like Leeds, Brentford, Preston, but think it'll be West Brom, Brentford, Fulham. Leeds to bottle it again.

Poll: How do YOU define a racist?

Top of the Championship on 08:55 - Jul 9 with 1346 viewsdirk_doone

Morning

I always think in terms of which teams it would be best for Saints to play, so West Brom, Brentford and Fulham, as we have a good record against all three of them.

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Top of the Championship on 09:30 - Jul 9 with 1320 viewssolent_toffee

Top of the Championship on 08:38 - Jul 9 by green

I'd like Brentford to come up as well. Are they in their new ground next season? Fond memories of our last trip to Griffin Park and standing on the terraces in L1 promotion season.

The new ground will be ready for next season, which will be great timing.

Brentford are a good watch, they play really nice football. I think there will be some good pickings from there if they don’t get promoted. Pontus Jansen still looks a decent centre half, a favourite on the could do a job for Saints lists for a few seasons on here.
Top of the Championship on 12:21 - Jul 9 with 1211 viewsChesham_Saint

Top of the Championship on 09:30 - Jul 9 by solent_toffee

The new ground will be ready for next season, which will be great timing.

Brentford are a good watch, they play really nice football. I think there will be some good pickings from there if they don’t get promoted. Pontus Jansen still looks a decent centre half, a favourite on the could do a job for Saints lists for a few seasons on here.

Brentford, Fulham and Preston for me. Can't stand Dirty Leeds and have gone off west brom since their love-in with the Portsdown Hillbillies. Not forgetting those squinnying rats Adrian Chiles and Charlie Austin...

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

Top of the Championship on 12:27 - Jul 9 with 1210 viewsWints76

For away days, WBA, Brentford and Forest would be best. Seems inevitable that Leeds will do it this year though. Can't say I like them at all, but their fans may bring a bit of a shock to some of the more sanitised fans of the Premier League
Top of the Championship on 14:16 - Jul 9 with 1126 viewsfranniesTache

I'm hoping for Preston, Fulham and Brentford.

I'm expecting Albion, Leeds and Brentford.

Not sure how i feel about Brentford's new ground, i loved griffin park but the new ground looks a bit soulless to me.
Login to get fewer ads

Top of the Championship on 22:40 - Jul 10 with 927 viewsdirk_doone

West Brom are one of the great yo-yo clubs. This will be the 10th time they've been promoted to the top flight.

Man City are, of course, another notorious yo-yo club, having been promoted to the top tier 11 times. Other yo-yo clubs are Leicester 13 times and Middlesbrough 9 times.

Top of the Championship on 23:29 - Jul 10 with 894 viewsGennaro_Contaldo

It'll be the top 3; Leeds, West Brom and Fulham.

Leeds will establish themselves as a top 10 team and be around for years. West Brom and Fulham will yoyo back down.

The UI; For the sophisticated gentleman
Poll: Where will Saints finish in the 2018/19 season

Top of the Championship on 23:40 - Jul 10 with 886 viewsBicester_North

Top of the Championship on 23:29 - Jul 10 by Gennaro_Contaldo

It'll be the top 3; Leeds, West Brom and Fulham.

Leeds will establish themselves as a top 10 team and be around for years. West Brom and Fulham will yoyo back down.

Agree with this. And the fat Yorkshire bastards will infiltrate the chapel kop every year we play them.

Poll: Who do you feel most sorry for

Top of the Championship on 00:09 - Jul 11 with 877 viewsdirk_doone

When I started watching football in the early 60s, Leeds had been a second division club for most of their history. They played in blue shirts with yellow trimming and were similar in size and reputation to Middlesbrough. They'd never won a trophy or even been in a cup final and nobody expected that they ever would.

Then Don Revie arrived. He transformed them even more than Brian Clough transformed Forest from second division nobodies into a top club. He paid attention to every little detail and even got them wearing Real Madrid's all-white strip as he thought it would make them play better. The rest is history: they've won an FA Cup, a League Cup and even won the league 3 times. They aren't really an established top flight club though. Ten years ago they were in the third division and their last FA Cup final was back in 1973. Even Saints, arguably the most underachieving team in the country, have been in more cup semi-finals than they have. In fact, until Revie took over in the 60s, Leeds had never been in a cup semi-final. The pinnacle of their achievement had been reaching the 6th round once in their history (in 1949/50).

Leeds became a magnet for hooligans though and the northern equivalent of Millwall. That reputation has meant they've continued to attract more than their fair share of fans of a certain type, many from outside Yorkshire, who wanted to attach themselves to a club with a tough image.
[Post edited 11 Jul 2020 0:48]

Top of the Championship on 09:31 - Jul 11 with 772 viewssaint68

West Brom ,Brentford and those gobby Yorkshire twàts look pretty much destined for the premier league, although the play offs usually spring one surprise.

Poll: Who would you want to save this season Pellegrino or Adkins

Top of the Championship on 11:23 - Jul 11 with 728 viewsChesham_Saint

Top of the Championship on 00:09 - Jul 11 by dirk_doone

When I started watching football in the early 60s, Leeds had been a second division club for most of their history. They played in blue shirts with yellow trimming and were similar in size and reputation to Middlesbrough. They'd never won a trophy or even been in a cup final and nobody expected that they ever would.

Then Don Revie arrived. He transformed them even more than Brian Clough transformed Forest from second division nobodies into a top club. He paid attention to every little detail and even got them wearing Real Madrid's all-white strip as he thought it would make them play better. The rest is history: they've won an FA Cup, a League Cup and even won the league 3 times. They aren't really an established top flight club though. Ten years ago they were in the third division and their last FA Cup final was back in 1973. Even Saints, arguably the most underachieving team in the country, have been in more cup semi-finals than they have. In fact, until Revie took over in the 60s, Leeds had never been in a cup semi-final. The pinnacle of their achievement had been reaching the 6th round once in their history (in 1949/50).

Leeds became a magnet for hooligans though and the northern equivalent of Millwall. That reputation has meant they've continued to attract more than their fair share of fans of a certain type, many from outside Yorkshire, who wanted to attach themselves to a club with a tough image.
[Post edited 11 Jul 2020 0:48]

You’re absolutely right Revie did an amazing job. But he did earn them the ‘Dirty Leeds’ reputation. Although I did feel a bit sorry for them when they were blatantly robbed of a European Cup final win in 75. That said, typical Leeds fans then disgraced themselves.

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024