Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Walker-peters learning the Southampton way 20:23 - Jul 13 with 1336 viewsButty101

Leaving his man free in the box...

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

Walker-peters learning the Southampton way on 20:25 - Jul 13 with 1328 viewsButty101

x2 ffs

Walker-peters learning the Southampton way on 20:25 - Jul 13 with 1324 viewssaint22

Then not making a challenge
Walker-peters learning the Southampton way on 20:29 - Jul 13 with 1306 viewsdirk_doone

Manchester United have one main tactic and that is to attack down Walker-Peters' flank relentlessly. They'd obviously decided before the game that he would be our weak link. He's getting the same treatment that Valery used to get from opposition managers.

It's a shame because he was gaining in confidence and looking like he would be the long-term solution to our right back problem until tonight. I fear for him and Saints if it continues like this. I wonder whether Ralph will bring on an extra defender to help him or even sub him but we haven't got a better right back available.

United's tactic of always passing the ball to their left wing got so predictable towards the end of the half that all of our defenders were anticipating it. I suppose the danger is that they might play a surprise long pass to their right wing and catch us out. But Bertrand is a wily defender.
[Post edited 13 Jul 2020 21:00]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Walker-peters learning the Southampton way on 21:03 - Jul 13 with 1214 viewssaint22

Walker-peters learning the Southampton way on 20:29 - Jul 13 by dirk_doone

Manchester United have one main tactic and that is to attack down Walker-Peters' flank relentlessly. They'd obviously decided before the game that he would be our weak link. He's getting the same treatment that Valery used to get from opposition managers.

It's a shame because he was gaining in confidence and looking like he would be the long-term solution to our right back problem until tonight. I fear for him and Saints if it continues like this. I wonder whether Ralph will bring on an extra defender to help him or even sub him but we haven't got a better right back available.

United's tactic of always passing the ball to their left wing got so predictable towards the end of the half that all of our defenders were anticipating it. I suppose the danger is that they might play a surprise long pass to their right wing and catch us out. But Bertrand is a wily defender.
[Post edited 13 Jul 2020 21:00]

It’s a shame as he held his position well in the last couple of games but he has been sucked across twice and we conceded
Walker-peters learning the Southampton way on 21:05 - Jul 13 with 1206 viewsRipleys_revenge

As much as KWP has had a rotten half, jack stephens seems to have turned in a very jack stephens type performance. Absolutely deplorable defending for both goals
Walker-peters learning the Southampton way on 21:07 - Jul 13 with 1203 viewsdirk_doone

Is Gary Neville going to spend the entire game moaning that Romeu should have got a red card??? He's said it about twenty times already.

You could see on the only occasion it was shown in real time that Romeu was skidding on the grass and trying to stop himself. There was no intent to foul whatsoever.
[Post edited 13 Jul 2020 21:11]

Walker-peters learning the Southampton way on 21:24 - Jul 13 with 1158 viewsdarthvader

Walker-peters learning the Southampton way on 21:07 - Jul 13 by dirk_doone

Is Gary Neville going to spend the entire game moaning that Romeu should have got a red card??? He's said it about twenty times already.

You could see on the only occasion it was shown in real time that Romeu was skidding on the grass and trying to stop himself. There was no intent to foul whatsoever.
[Post edited 13 Jul 2020 21:11]

And looking the other way when he got there , no intent

keep the faith coyr

Walker-peters learning the Southampton way on 21:29 - Jul 13 with 1149 viewskingslandstand1

Walker-peters learning the Southampton way on 21:05 - Jul 13 by Ripleys_revenge

As much as KWP has had a rotten half, jack stephens seems to have turned in a very jack stephens type performance. Absolutely deplorable defending for both goals

And hasn't done a lot since you posted that either
Login to get fewer ads

Walker-peters learning the Southampton way on 21:32 - Jul 13 with 1140 viewsRon11

Yep.
Looks like his old self again.
And Neville whining about Romeu
Walker-peters learning the Southampton way on 21:33 - Jul 13 with 1138 viewssaint22

That and knocking one out over martial and Rashford
Walker-peters learning the Southampton way on 21:42 - Jul 13 with 1128 viewssaint22

Let’s seriously hope a Ralph has two quality centre backs lined up for next season
We cannot rely on what we have any longer
Walker-peters learning the Southampton way on 22:02 - Jul 13 with 1099 viewsdirk_doone

Dominant second half performance from Saints. If not for that world class save by De Gea from Redmond, we'd have deservedly won that.

Obafemi is a goal poacher.

It was a very tough game for Walker-Peters but after that result hopefully it won't affect his confidence. He won't come up against many attacks as fast and dangerous as United's.
[Post edited 13 Jul 2020 22:05]

Walker-peters learning the Southampton way on 22:09 - Jul 13 with 1065 viewsGennaro_Contaldo

A draw away against a very very good Man Utd side with that front 3 is extremely credible. They are a very impressive attacking force and the team as a whole did well - the future does indeed look bright!

The UI; For the sophisticated gentleman
Poll: Where will Saints finish in the 2018/19 season

Walker-peters learning the Southampton way on 22:19 - Jul 13 with 1032 viewsSadoldgit

When Martial cut inside KWP for the second Stephens has to cover snd was too slow. He also gave the ball away needlessly a few times. As said, back to his bad habits.
Walker-peters learning the Southampton way on 22:25 - Jul 13 with 1006 viewsSalisburySaint

Thought KWP was targeted by Man U but didn’t think Armstrong helped him much when Shaw was bombing forward
Walker-peters learning the Southampton way on 22:32 - Jul 13 with 984 viewsdirk_doone

Two unsung heroes, Bertrand and Redmond were our best players tonight. United made the mistake in the second half of attacking our left flank and that's where they lost it. It took the pressure off Walker-Peters and allowed Bertrand and Redmond to take the ball away from them.

Our midfield must be pretty good because I've never seen De Bruyne and Bruno Fernandes so subdued as they were in our games against City and United. Pity we aren't playing Liverpool now because, on current form, I don't think they'd beat us either.
[Post edited 13 Jul 2020 22:38]

Walker-peters learning the Southampton way on 23:56 - Jul 13 with 875 viewsPatfromPoole

Walker-peters learning the Southampton way on 22:32 - Jul 13 by dirk_doone

Two unsung heroes, Bertrand and Redmond were our best players tonight. United made the mistake in the second half of attacking our left flank and that's where they lost it. It took the pressure off Walker-Peters and allowed Bertrand and Redmond to take the ball away from them.

Our midfield must be pretty good because I've never seen De Bruyne and Bruno Fernandes so subdued as they were in our games against City and United. Pity we aren't playing Liverpool now because, on current form, I don't think they'd beat us either.
[Post edited 13 Jul 2020 22:38]

We are a massively better side without Hjogjberg. We keep the ball far better and look a much more polished as a side.

We do no need more strength in depth though. We have been very lucky this season with injuries. If we were to have the sort of luck Boscombe have had with injuries this season, we would be really struggling.

Poll: If we win a play-off semi at St. Mary’s should there be a pitch invasion?

Walker-peters learning the Southampton way on 09:36 - Jul 14 with 750 viewsSadoldgit

Walker-peters learning the Southampton way on 22:25 - Jul 13 by SalisburySaint

Thought KWP was targeted by Man U but didn’t think Armstrong helped him much when Shaw was bombing forward

I agree. I think that KWP was left to fend for himself for much of the game and considering what he was facing I think he did what he could. Looks better going forward each match and put a couple of dangerous balls across their goal mouth. I like him as a player and hope Spurs don’t play silly buggers over the price.
Walker-peters learning the Southampton way on 10:27 - Jul 14 with 708 viewsDorsetIan

Waker-Peters could have done better for both their goals but I don't judge him too harshly for either of them.

For the first, Martial was pretty much sitting on his arse and he had no right to lay off the ball he did to Rashford. In highsight W-P should have stayed with Rashford but on percentages a ball like that to Rashford wasn't likely.

For the second, he was one on one with a very skilful stronger player running at him at pace. Martial's cut inside and shot were pretty much perfect and would have left a lot of right backs standing.

And the best thing about W-P is that none of these 'mistakes' allowed his head to drop. I thought he continued to put in a pretty solid performance for the rest of the game. I shouldn't make comparison's but we have seen Valery's composure go completely in similar situations.

I thought the way the team stayed in the game yesterday was outstanding.

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

Walker-peters learning the Southampton way on 10:54 - Jul 14 with 683 viewsSadoldgit

Having played at both full back and centre half, when you have a player running at you at pace you try and showed them to the outside. If they cut in you expect the CH to be covering you. To me Stephens didn’t read the cut inside. Having said that it was an exceptional display of speed and skill by Martial. If one of our players had scored that goal would we be saying the full back was at fault?

Redmond cut in and nearly scored with a lot shot for us. Did anyone slag off their defending?

United have an attack that can cut any defence to shreds.

Ralph has persisted with the same team for several games now and given the intensity we play at, it is not surprising that some players are getting tired and making unforced errors. Having said that they way they fought their way back into the game last night was exceptional.

KWP looks very much a part of this side now having taken his opportunity well from the under performing Valery. Each week he is showing more in going forward too. I’d be very happy if we signed him permantly
Walker-peters learning the Southampton way on 10:54 - Jul 14 with 684 viewsChesham_Saint

Walker-peters learning the Southampton way on 10:27 - Jul 14 by DorsetIan

Waker-Peters could have done better for both their goals but I don't judge him too harshly for either of them.

For the first, Martial was pretty much sitting on his arse and he had no right to lay off the ball he did to Rashford. In highsight W-P should have stayed with Rashford but on percentages a ball like that to Rashford wasn't likely.

For the second, he was one on one with a very skilful stronger player running at him at pace. Martial's cut inside and shot were pretty much perfect and would have left a lot of right backs standing.

And the best thing about W-P is that none of these 'mistakes' allowed his head to drop. I thought he continued to put in a pretty solid performance for the rest of the game. I shouldn't make comparison's but we have seen Valery's composure go completely in similar situations.

I thought the way the team stayed in the game yesterday was outstanding.

That's a sound assessment, Ian.

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

Walker-peters learning the Southampton way on 11:00 - Jul 14 with 680 viewsButty101

For the 2nd goal, KWP should of been showing Martial down the line, not allowing him to cut in.

Walker-peters learning the Southampton way on 11:15 - Jul 14 with 670 viewsSadoldgit

Walker-peters learning the Southampton way on 11:00 - Jul 14 by Butty101

For the 2nd goal, KWP should of been showing Martial down the line, not allowing him to cut in.

And yet Redmond did the same to the United defence. That is why teams play wingers on the “wrong” side of the pitch, so that they have the option to cut inside. He was backing off facing someone running at full speed. He has no idea where the player is going and despite setting his body up to be ready to be taken on on the outside there is little you can do if the player suddenly cuts inside. That is why you need cover behind you to read the situation and be ready to either block the player if he cuts in or to be ready to cut out a cross if the player goes outside and gets a cross in. It is what our CH’s did well against City.

It really wasn’t a soft goal. I don’t think many full backs would have stopped Martial on their own.
Walker-peters learning the Southampton way on 11:40 - Jul 14 with 652 viewsSadoldgit

For the first goal he was where he was meant to be. If the ball goes down the right the players shuffle across to fill in the gaps so KWP was right to be near the far post. You will always see room on the other side of the pitch when the ball is going down the opposite side which is why teams constantly look to switch the play from one side to the other. You will never see a full back on the other side of play marking an opposition player out wide.

Armstrong found space beyond the far post for our first goal too.
Walker-peters learning the Southampton way on 13:56 - Jul 14 with 600 viewsGennaro_Contaldo

Walker-peters learning the Southampton way on 10:54 - Jul 14 by Sadoldgit

Having played at both full back and centre half, when you have a player running at you at pace you try and showed them to the outside. If they cut in you expect the CH to be covering you. To me Stephens didn’t read the cut inside. Having said that it was an exceptional display of speed and skill by Martial. If one of our players had scored that goal would we be saying the full back was at fault?

Redmond cut in and nearly scored with a lot shot for us. Did anyone slag off their defending?

United have an attack that can cut any defence to shreds.

Ralph has persisted with the same team for several games now and given the intensity we play at, it is not surprising that some players are getting tired and making unforced errors. Having said that they way they fought their way back into the game last night was exceptional.

KWP looks very much a part of this side now having taken his opportunity well from the under performing Valery. Each week he is showing more in going forward too. I’d be very happy if we signed him permantly

This, this and this!

The UI; For the sophisticated gentleman
Poll: Where will Saints finish in the 2018/19 season

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024