Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Saints At Manchester United The Verdict 09:40 - Jul 14 with 683 viewsSaintsNews

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/southampton/news/52621/saints-at-manchest

If you want to remove this post from the board index, just click the hide post icon below. To hide all our news posts click the ignore user icon under the avatar.
Saints At Manchester United The Verdict on 10:10 - Jul 14 with 654 viewsSonicBoom

I think this is about spot on Nick. Romeu was extremely fortunate.
Our centre backs did their usual thing. Stephens easily brushed off by Martial for their first. I have no idea what Bednarek was doing when Martial nearly scored his second. Stephens gave it away, Martial surged forward and Bednarek fell over and lay down in front of him and Martial just ran around him.
That said there was loads to be proud of. We gave as good as we got throughout and we looked confident and motivated. It was a great performance.
Stand outs were Bertrand who never looks overawed by the big teams, Ings as usual, and Redmond. I'm not his biggest fan but defensively last night he was really disciplined and put in a great shift. But they were all excellent.
United looked like they could go up a gear or two at any time but some of their players seem to have an arrogance or a lethargy where they only want to play in short bursts - and it cost them dearly.
Four points from City at home and United away ? I'd never have believed it. With a couple of additions we could surprise people next year. I wonder if PEH is regretting opening his big gob....
Saints At Manchester United The Verdict on 11:50 - Jul 14 with 584 viewsSaintNick

Saints At Manchester United The Verdict on 10:10 - Jul 14 by SonicBoom

Our centre backs did their usual thing. Stephens easily brushed off by Martial for their first. I have no idea what Bednarek was doing when Martial nearly scored his second. Stephens gave it away, Martial surged forward and Bednarek fell over and lay down in front of him and Martial just ran around him.
That said there was loads to be proud of. We gave as good as we got throughout and we looked confident and motivated. It was a great performance.
Stand outs were Bertrand who never looks overawed by the big teams, Ings as usual, and Redmond. I'm not his biggest fan but defensively last night he was really disciplined and put in a great shift. But they were all excellent.
United looked like they could go up a gear or two at any time but some of their players seem to have an arrogance or a lethargy where they only want to play in short bursts - and it cost them dearly.
Four points from City at home and United away ? I'd never have believed it. With a couple of additions we could surprise people next year. I wonder if PEH is regretting opening his big gob....

I agree with you Sonic, we have a team spirit that Utd and for that matter Spurs just don't have, we could with a couple of good signings be a force next season

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Saints At Manchester United The Verdict on 17:59 - Jul 14 with 476 viewskingslandstand1

Saints At Manchester United The Verdict on 10:10 - Jul 14 by SonicBoom

I'm with all of that, although we mustn't forget McCarthy's contribution since his lash up a couple of weeks ago against Arsenal. His save last night from Rashford or Martial (?) was incredible when it had goal written all over it, and his performance against City was also outstanding

Also I think Ings should have some credit as an assist for Armstrong's goal although Pogba was slow and caught out, but it was Ings going for any ball that he might have a slight chance of getting as in that situation.

As you say, team spirit counts for a lot and we seem to have bucket loads at the moment and that starts at the top (not very top, but certainly from Ralph)
Saints At Manchester United The Verdict on 07:30 - Jul 15 with 382 viewsSaintNick

Saints At Manchester United The Verdict on 17:59 - Jul 14 by kingslandstand1

I'm with all of that, although we mustn't forget McCarthy's contribution since his lash up a couple of weeks ago against Arsenal. His save last night from Rashford or Martial (?) was incredible when it had goal written all over it, and his performance against City was also outstanding

Also I think Ings should have some credit as an assist for Armstrong's goal although Pogba was slow and caught out, but it was Ings going for any ball that he might have a slight chance of getting as in that situation.

As you say, team spirit counts for a lot and we seem to have bucket loads at the moment and that starts at the top (not very top, but certainly from Ralph)

McCarthy was solid at United and it was a great save, you are right about Ings, he read what Pogba would do, which way he would turn and then nipped in

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Saints At Manchester United The Verdict on 17:24 - Jul 15 with 331 viewsPaleRider

Saints At Manchester United The Verdict on 07:30 - Jul 15 by SaintNick

McCarthy was solid at United and it was a great save, you are right about Ings, he read what Pogba would do, which way he would turn and then nipped in

His reading of the situation also gave him a goal at Watford. I think the difference between him and Redmond/Long/Adams/Boufal/probably Djenepo is that he is a really intelligent player. It also helps him playing with some other intelligent players such as Armstrong, JWP and Bertrand.

In my mind the reasons for our resurgence are that we are clearly fitter than we have been for a lot time (since before Puel) and we are playing intelligent, attacking football.

I have to say I was sceptical about the restart but I have been enjoying watching Saints over the last few games - shame we can't be there in person!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024