Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Nathan Redmond 09:44 - Jul 20 with 922 viewsSaintNick

Just seen one of those websites that rehash twitter comments, usuually the headline is "These Saints fans think"

The headline read

“SO FRUSTRATING”, “TERRIBLE” — MANY SAINTS FANS FUME AT £14.4M-RATED MAN WHO WAS “HAVING A MARE”

I agree he didn't have a great game, but then agan neither did Danny Ings against a Bournemouth side that for the first 2/3 of the game looked to stifle us and then hoof it forward early.

However Redmond had an assist for the first goal, a nice lay off to Ings and then a run off the ball that created space for Ings to run into and shoot.

As I say I thought he looked lacklustre for a lot of the game but the reality is he produced when it was needed and it was the third game in a row that he has an assist, so even playing badly he contributed.

This is why I prefer Redmond to Boufal, he has an end product whether it be goals or just as importantly playing a big part in the build up.

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Nathan Redmond on 09:49 - Jul 20 with 909 viewsarfurdent

could be that most of the players were knackered

And the White Knight is talking backwards And the Red Queen's off with her head

Nathan Redmond on 09:56 - Jul 20 with 887 viewsSaintsforeverj

Redmond is frustrating. He is such a hard worker and runs around all over the place. It's his shooting that is so poor. He will take it around a few players and then usually blast it over the bar or take too many touches.

But, when Saints win and we haven't lost for 8 games, I don't have any urge to moan or be negative. I do when we lose, but 8 games unbeaten and 4 points against the Manchester clubs and beating our neighbours. Not a lot to be negative about imo. Just enjoy us winning Saints fans!
[Post edited 20 Jul 2020 9:58]

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

Nathan Redmond on 10:09 - Jul 20 with 866 viewsBuggalugs

Nathan Redmond on 09:56 - Jul 20 by Saintsforeverj

Redmond is frustrating. He is such a hard worker and runs around all over the place. It's his shooting that is so poor. He will take it around a few players and then usually blast it over the bar or take too many touches.

But, when Saints win and we haven't lost for 8 games, I don't have any urge to moan or be negative. I do when we lose, but 8 games unbeaten and 4 points against the Manchester clubs and beating our neighbours. Not a lot to be negative about imo. Just enjoy us winning Saints fans!

Nods in agreement.

Poll: How do YOU define a racist?

Nathan Redmond (n/t) on 10:24 - Jul 20 with 843 viewsSouthSeaSaint

Nathan Redmond on 10:25 - Jul 20 with 840 viewsSouthSeaSaint

Nathan Redmond on 09:56 - Jul 20 by Saintsforeverj

Not lost in 8 games?
Doesnt 2-0 reverse at SMS ve Arsenal count?
Nathan Redmond on 10:30 - Jul 20 with 831 viewsSaintsforeverj

Nathan Redmond on 10:25 - Jul 20 by SouthSeaSaint

Not lost in 8 games?
Doesnt 2-0 reverse at SMS ve Arsenal count?

It was too hot for football that day, so you get freak results. I didn't count that one. The ball and goal posts were melting.

Nathan Redmond on 12:01 - Jul 20 with 760 viewsSaintNick

Nathan Redmond on 10:30 - Jul 20 by Saintsforeverj

It was too hot for football that day, so you get freak results. I didn't count that one. The ball and goal posts were melting.

Lost just once in 4 months sounds much better

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Nathan Redmond on 12:10 - Jul 20 with 746 viewsgreen

It's no coincidence that the drop off in form pre-lockdown happened when he was injured.
Login to get fewer ads

Nathan Redmond on 12:14 - Jul 20 with 739 viewsSaintsforeverj

Nathan Redmond on 12:01 - Jul 20 by SaintNick

Lost just once in 4 months sounds much better

Yes, agreed!

Nathan Redmond on 12:18 - Jul 20 with 734 viewsTimSaint

I didn't write the headline of the article you refer to, but frustrating is Redmond in a nutshell for me.

We all know and have seen what he can do, when he is on his game and that is probably why he frustrates so many fans.

He has the ability and pace to drive play forwards, but far too regularly he checks back and slows down a potentially quick break, or beats his man, then checks back and has to beat that man again.

We have seen his passing and assist ability and it is great that he has assisted 3 games in a row for the first time, but as per the above about beating his man, he should potentially cross as soon as that man is beaten, so there are less defenders to pick out.

He has scored some good goals for us, but again I would question his decision making. He often chooses to shoot when he should pass and pass when he should shoot.
Against Man U, when Ings robbed Pogba for our 1st goal, I expected him to shoot, like he did for his goal v Norwich, but took too many touches and then made amends by chipping to Armstrong. But also there were a couple of other incidents where he should have shot at OT, but either took another touch or decided not to shoot. The thing is, when he did shoot, it was nearly a great goal but de Gea actually saved one for once - so he showed us what he could do when he shoots, so why not shoot more often.
Against Bournemouth yesterday, when he was through in the first half, he should have shot first time, but took a touch and the keeper saved at his feet. In the 2nd half, again when through he didn't learn from the 1st half chance and took an unnecessary touch and the keeper came out and saved, A first time shot would have been more effective, or if he has to take a touch, then chip it, or feign a shot and go to the left of the keeper and slot it.
Against Watford there were opportunities to shoot, but he always chose to lay it off or cross it, but then when he finally did shoot (from 20 yards out), he hit the post. So we were all saying why not shoot earlier ? Just like v Man U, it was almost like he was scared to shoot or take responsibility, but once we were near the end of the game or it was already won (Watford) it didn't matter if he shot or not.

Redmond is the player who I thought would thrive the most under RH. I thought he would become a pacey, direct, goal-scoring winger. Hopefully RH can still work on his decision making and turn him into the top player we all know he has the potential to become.

As for Boufal, I am not sure he is in Ralph's plans. He has skill in abundance, but is too inconsistent, has failed on loan, is injury prone and still milking a living off his goal against West Brom. With 1 year left on his deal, perhaps time to cut our losses and sell ?

TimSaint

Nathan Redmond on 13:02 - Jul 20 with 692 viewsPatfromPoole

Nathan Redmond on 12:18 - Jul 20 by TimSaint

I didn't write the headline of the article you refer to, but frustrating is Redmond in a nutshell for me.

We all know and have seen what he can do, when he is on his game and that is probably why he frustrates so many fans.

He has the ability and pace to drive play forwards, but far too regularly he checks back and slows down a potentially quick break, or beats his man, then checks back and has to beat that man again.

We have seen his passing and assist ability and it is great that he has assisted 3 games in a row for the first time, but as per the above about beating his man, he should potentially cross as soon as that man is beaten, so there are less defenders to pick out.

He has scored some good goals for us, but again I would question his decision making. He often chooses to shoot when he should pass and pass when he should shoot.
Against Man U, when Ings robbed Pogba for our 1st goal, I expected him to shoot, like he did for his goal v Norwich, but took too many touches and then made amends by chipping to Armstrong. But also there were a couple of other incidents where he should have shot at OT, but either took another touch or decided not to shoot. The thing is, when he did shoot, it was nearly a great goal but de Gea actually saved one for once - so he showed us what he could do when he shoots, so why not shoot more often.
Against Bournemouth yesterday, when he was through in the first half, he should have shot first time, but took a touch and the keeper saved at his feet. In the 2nd half, again when through he didn't learn from the 1st half chance and took an unnecessary touch and the keeper came out and saved, A first time shot would have been more effective, or if he has to take a touch, then chip it, or feign a shot and go to the left of the keeper and slot it.
Against Watford there were opportunities to shoot, but he always chose to lay it off or cross it, but then when he finally did shoot (from 20 yards out), he hit the post. So we were all saying why not shoot earlier ? Just like v Man U, it was almost like he was scared to shoot or take responsibility, but once we were near the end of the game or it was already won (Watford) it didn't matter if he shot or not.

Redmond is the player who I thought would thrive the most under RH. I thought he would become a pacey, direct, goal-scoring winger. Hopefully RH can still work on his decision making and turn him into the top player we all know he has the potential to become.

As for Boufal, I am not sure he is in Ralph's plans. He has skill in abundance, but is too inconsistent, has failed on loan, is injury prone and still milking a living off his goal against West Brom. With 1 year left on his deal, perhaps time to cut our losses and sell ?

I would let Boufal go, yes, agreed.

Poll: If we win a play-off semi at St. Mary’s should there be a pitch invasion?

Nathan Redmond on 13:38 - Jul 20 with 653 viewsNumber_58

I think he's an important part of the team and he's exciting to watch when he's running with the ball, but I've given up expecting him to do anything other than turn around and pass to someone else or welly it 30 foot over the bar. Anyway, using Nick's usual method of defining how good a player is by the number of big clubs queuing up for their signature, he must be crap.
Nathan Redmond on 15:07 - Jul 20 with 588 viewsInsideOut

That's pretty much how I see Redmond too. It seems like he just lacks a little confidence at times. It could all come together next season, fingers crossed.
[Post edited 20 Jul 2020 15:09]

Poll: WTF is a little pompey ?

Nathan Redmond on 15:30 - Jul 20 with 570 viewsSadoldgit

Nathan Redmond on 15:07 - Jul 20 by InsideOut

That's pretty much how I see Redmond too. It seems like he just lacks a little confidence at times. It could all come together next season, fingers crossed.
[Post edited 20 Jul 2020 15:09]

He’s got all of the tools, the trouble is, in his position, you have to make the right decisions. We would like to see him attack more but there are times when the better option is to turn back and keep possession. I wouldn’t like to see him leave.
Nathan Redmond on 15:57 - Jul 20 with 548 viewsInsideOut

Nathan Redmond on 15:30 - Jul 20 by Sadoldgit

He’s got all of the tools, the trouble is, in his position, you have to make the right decisions. We would like to see him attack more but there are times when the better option is to turn back and keep possession. I wouldn’t like to see him leave.

Me neither

Poll: WTF is a little pompey ?

Nathan Redmond on 16:12 - Jul 20 with 538 viewsBison

Nathan Redmond on 15:30 - Jul 20 by Sadoldgit

His problem is he only has a right foot and with him playing mostly left wing there is very little chance of any decent crosses from him. It seems to be the thing now with wingers playing on the 'wrong' flank.

Trust no one in a circus.
Poll: Who do you blame for saints not winning every game ?

Nathan Redmond on 16:20 - Jul 20 with 531 viewsA1079

Could not argue with any of that TimSaint.
Nathan Redmond on 16:33 - Jul 20 with 522 viewsSadoldgit

Nathan Redmond on 16:12 - Jul 20 by Bison

His problem is he only has a right foot and with him playing mostly left wing there is very little chance of any decent crosses from him. It seems to be the thing now with wingers playing on the 'wrong' flank.

True, the aim seems to be either cut in and shoot or set the wing back/full back up for the cross. It’s a shame he isn’t as effective as cutting in from the left as Ings is.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024