Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Forster Shuns Celtic To Fight For Saints Place 08:45 - Jul 29 with 1147 viewsSaintsNews

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/southampton/news/52701/forster-shuns-celt

If you want to remove this post from the board index, just click the hide post icon below. To hide all our news posts click the ignore user icon under the avatar.
Forster Shuns Celtic To Fight For Saints Place on 09:25 - Jul 29 with 1105 viewsSonicBoom

Is this good news?
Forster was more than decent when he first arrived but his performances went off a cliff.
OK Nick will say he was playing behind a dodgy defence however I think he played a large part in making the defence more dodgy.
In the absence of a commanding leader at centre back, the next best person to organise the defence is the keeper and Forster appeared to be totally lacking in that department. He's an absolute giant yet I lost count of the number of times the ball came across our box and he was rooted to his line when everyone expected him to come out and take the ball, centre forward and probably both of our centre backs!

If anything that unnerved our defence even more as they were never sure what was going on behind them.
OK from all reports he has been good at Celtic but that is against far inferior opposition and some way from the global spotlight of the premier league.

Personally I'd like us to ship out Forster permanently and Gunn temporarily, then buy in another keeper. Lots of fans blame Reed for the Forster situation as he awarded him a huge long term contract which has exacerbated this situation - but - at the time Forster was playing well, in the England squad, and at an age where keepers are generally approaching their peak years. For whatever reason Forsters form dipped alarmingly and that contract ow looks crazy.
Nick says we need to look forward and he's right, there isn't another choice. But I don't think we will ever have a solid defence until we not only settle on 2 CB's but they need to play in front of a reliable keeper. Forster certainly has a lot to prove to win back confidence of the fans.
Forster Shuns Celtic To Fight For Saints Place on 09:36 - Jul 29 with 1088 viewsSaintNick

Forster Shuns Celtic To Fight For Saints Place on 09:25 - Jul 29 by SonicBoom

Is this good news?
Forster was more than decent when he first arrived but his performances went off a cliff.
OK Nick will say he was playing behind a dodgy defence however I think he played a large part in making the defence more dodgy.
In the absence of a commanding leader at centre back, the next best person to organise the defence is the keeper and Forster appeared to be totally lacking in that department. He's an absolute giant yet I lost count of the number of times the ball came across our box and he was rooted to his line when everyone expected him to come out and take the ball, centre forward and probably both of our centre backs!

If anything that unnerved our defence even more as they were never sure what was going on behind them.
OK from all reports he has been good at Celtic but that is against far inferior opposition and some way from the global spotlight of the premier league.

Personally I'd like us to ship out Forster permanently and Gunn temporarily, then buy in another keeper. Lots of fans blame Reed for the Forster situation as he awarded him a huge long term contract which has exacerbated this situation - but - at the time Forster was playing well, in the England squad, and at an age where keepers are generally approaching their peak years. For whatever reason Forsters form dipped alarmingly and that contract ow looks crazy.
Nick says we need to look forward and he's right, there isn't another choice. But I don't think we will ever have a solid defence until we not only settle on 2 CB's but they need to play in front of a reliable keeper. Forster certainly has a lot to prove to win back confidence of the fans.

You make some good points, but the truth is with a keeper, he forms a partnership with his defenders who know what he will deal with and what he won't and vice versa.

Antti Niemi is touted as one of the great Saints keepers but he was a goal line keeper, he rarely came for crosses outside of the six yard box, but his central defenders knew that and that they had to deal with them.

Fonte and Van Dijk etc did the same for Forster, when they went there was too much indecision with no one taking charge, yes perhaps that should have been Forster's job as the senior player, but the fact was we were all at sea in the centre of defence, hence my constant gripes, you can organise some players but some just don't have a natural positioning and reading of the game.

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Forster Shuns Celtic To Fight For Saints Place on 10:57 - Jul 29 with 1007 viewsSonicBoom

I agree Nick. I always thought that all Forster needed to do was come for the cross of the game and knock their centre forward flat - and then the opposition wouldn't bother putting high balls in for the rest of the match. After all when jumping Forster must be 11 of 12 feet high. The fact he didn't encouraged the opposition to keep knocking it long into our box as they knew we would be all at sea.
Forster Shuns Celtic To Fight For Saints Place on 17:42 - Jul 29 with 851 viewsRon11

Forster Shuns Celtic To Fight For Saints Place on 09:25 - Jul 29 by SonicBoom

Is this good news?

Apart from that one horrific mistake after the restart of football, McCarthy has looked OK, and pulled off some class saves. His distribution needs work, though.
Forster had good defenders in front of him at Celtic - will he get that here?
I can't help remembering when Van Dijk was injured and Fonte was in and out of the squad how he went to pieces, but when those two were back he returned great form.
Forster Shuns Celtic To Fight For Saints Place on 17:50 - Jul 29 with 847 viewsRonManager

In my opinion, he spent too much time on the weights in the gym and became (for a goalkeeper) musclebound, losing the flexibility that is the main attribute needed in that position.

I can remember when the internet was all fields

Forster Shuns Celtic To Fight For Saints Place on 18:46 - Jul 29 with 811 viewssaint22

Forster Shuns Celtic To Fight For Saints Place on 17:42 - Jul 29 by Ron11

Apart from that one horrific mistake after the restart of football, McCarthy has looked OK, and pulled off some class saves. His distribution needs work, though.
Forster had good defenders in front of him at Celtic - will he get that here?
I can't help remembering when Van Dijk was injured and Fonte was in and out of the squad how he went to pieces, but when those two were back he returned great form.

I tend to agree with this, although his kicking is absolutely woeful so he needs to sort that asap
He still seems awfully quiet as well
Forster Shuns Celtic To Fight For Saints Place on 19:18 - Jul 29 with 788 viewssaint22

They just signed a Greek keeper
Forster Shuns Celtic To Fight For Saints Place on 20:13 - Jul 29 with 755 views1885_SFC

Forster Shuns Celtic To Fight For Saints Place on 19:18 - Jul 29 by saint22

They just signed a Greek keeper

Stoppalottashots?

Old School is Cool

Login to get fewer ads

Forster Shuns Celtic To Fight For Saints Place on 20:28 - Jul 29 with 744 viewsPatfromPoole

If Forster could improve his ability to come out for crosses and save low shots down to his side, then fine.

Have my doubts though.

Poll: If we win a play-off semi at St. Mary’s should there be a pitch invasion?

Forster Shuns Celtic To Fight For Saints Place on 21:06 - Jul 29 with 718 viewsSadoldgit

Wasn’t he suffering from a major depression after splitting up with Kenzie Benali?
If he has got his mojo back why not keep him? Question is which other keeper do you farm out to make way for him? Perhaps Gunn out on line to try and get him back on track?
Forster Shuns Celtic To Fight For Saints Place on 21:15 - Jul 29 with 703 viewsChesham_Saint

Forster Shuns Celtic To Fight For Saints Place on 21:06 - Jul 29 by Sadoldgit

Wasn’t he suffering from a major depression after splitting up with Kenzie Benali?
If he has got his mojo back why not keep him? Question is which other keeper do you farm out to make way for him? Perhaps Gunn out on line to try and get him back on track?

Wait. What?! Forster was splitting Kenzie Benali?

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

Forster Shuns Celtic To Fight For Saints Place on 22:07 - Jul 29 with 671 viewsRipleys_revenge

Forster Shuns Celtic To Fight For Saints Place on 20:13 - Jul 29 by 1885_SFC

Stoppalottashots?

Hahaha I think that’s very good
Forster Shuns Celtic To Fight For Saints Place on 22:35 - Jul 29 with 642 viewsChesham_Saint

Forster Shuns Celtic To Fight For Saints Place on 22:07 - Jul 29 by Ripleys_revenge

Hahaha I think that’s very good

And if he lets in a silly goal his first name will surely be Costas as in:

“Our Greek keeps Costas 3 points there!”?

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024