Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Thank god the french do what the french do 06:36 - Aug 14 with 5350 viewsSoton

By bringing in titfortat measures they are helping protect Britain in our fight against COVID-19
Thank god the french do what the french do on 22:43 - Aug 14 with 4105 viewskernow

Prevention of Illegal immigration .
Controlling the spread of COVID-19.
Napoleon Bonaparte.
Charles de Gaulle.

Don't you just love em?!
Thank god the french do what the french do on 07:03 - Aug 15 with 4021 viewsSoton

Thank god the french do what the french do on 22:43 - Aug 14 by kernow

Prevention of Illegal immigration .
Controlling the spread of COVID-19.
Napoleon Bonaparte.
Charles de Gaulle.

Don't you just love em?!

Ahh Charles de Gaulle, a true Anglophile, and forever grateful to Britain for shelter we gave him
Thank god the french do what the french do on 08:37 - Aug 15 with 3970 viewsarfurdent

Thank god the french do what the french do on 07:03 - Aug 15 by Soton

Ahh Charles de Gaulle, a true Anglophile, and forever grateful to Britain for shelter we gave him

he did his best to keep the UK out of the Common Market, in hindsight he was a true anglophile

And the White Knight is talking backwards And the Red Queen's off with her head

Thank god the french do what the french do on 14:14 - Aug 15 with 3832 viewsDorsetIan

He showed equal gratitude towards the Americans...

"In 1966, upon being told that Charles de Gaulle had taken France out of NATO and that all U.S. troops must be evacuated from French soil, President Lyndon Johnson told Secretary of State Dean Rusk: 'Ask him about the cemeteries, Dean!'

So, at end of the meeting, Dean asked de Gaulle if his order to remove all U.S. troops from French soil also included the 60,000 plus soldiers buried in France from World War I and World War II. De Gaulle never answered."

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

Thank god the french do what the french do on 15:16 - Aug 15 with 3805 viewsSadoldgit

Madame Guillotine!
Thank god the french do what the french do on 19:41 - Aug 15 with 3732 viewskernow

Thank god the french do what the french do on 15:16 - Aug 15 by Sadoldgit

Madame Guillotine!

'Clickety click' disait la tricoteuse .
Thank god the french do what the french do on 20:38 - Aug 15 with 3700 viewsBicester_North

Poll: Who do you feel most sorry for

Thank god the french do what the french do on 21:56 - Aug 15 with 3660 viewsSalisburySaint

Thank god the french do what the french do on 20:38 - Aug 15 by Bicester_North

Currently the according to exports poor Ligue 1 seems to be better than Prem league, Lyon only finished 7th in French league last season
Login to get fewer ads

Thank god the french do what the french do on 22:50 - Aug 15 with 3629 viewsdirk_doone

And they did it again tonight.

The weird thing is, many English football fans, including some on here, always want foreign teams to beat English teams and yet they are usually xenophobes where everything else is concerned. Personally, I've always wanted English teams to do well.

In my opinion, the years when English clubs ruled Europe were the best, not the years when German, Spanish or French teams ruled. So, for me, the all-English final was better than a French-German, all French or all German final. But, I seem to be in a minority on here in holding that view.
[Post edited 16 Aug 2020 7:19]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Thank god the french do what the french do on 23:34 - Aug 15 with 3592 viewsBicester_North

Thank god the french do what the french do on 22:50 - Aug 15 by dirk_doone

And they did it again tonight.

The weird thing is, many English football fans, including some on here, always want foreign teams to beat English teams and yet they are usually xenophobes where everything else is concerned. Personally, I've always wanted English teams to do well.

In my opinion, the years when English clubs ruled Europe were the best, not the years when German, Spanish or French teams ruled. So, for me, the all-English final was better than a French-German, all French or all German final. But, I seem to be in a minority on here in holding that view.
[Post edited 16 Aug 2020 7:19]

Personally football and politics have no link for me, I just despise the premier league “big six” Sky sports media cringe fest so it’s one in the eye for them and the mercenary, bottle fed arsehole players involved when they fail in Europe.
Just needs Man U to get knocked out now but got a feeling they’ll win the Europa.
When players were decent down to Earth lads and it wasn’t all about money I used to support the English teams in Europe, except Liverpool and Man United

Poll: Who do you feel most sorry for

Thank god the french do what the french do on 23:58 - Aug 15 with 3577 viewsSalisburySaint

Thank god the french do what the french do on 23:34 - Aug 15 by Bicester_North

Personally football and politics have no link for me, I just despise the premier league “big six” Sky sports media cringe fest so it’s one in the eye for them and the mercenary, bottle fed arsehole players involved when they fail in Europe.
Just needs Man U to get knocked out now but got a feeling they’ll win the Europa.
When players were decent down to Earth lads and it wasn’t all about money I used to support the English teams in Europe, except Liverpool and Man United

Seville will be too good for United
Thank god the french do what the french do on 09:35 - Aug 16 with 3476 viewsSaintNick

The thing I cant get my head around is the French seem to idolise Napoleon, a tyrant who tried to conquer all of Europe creating death and destruction, I can see little difference between Napoleon & Hitler in this respect other than Hitler had the technology to do things on a massive scale.

Go to France you will find statues and tributes to Napoleon everywhere Why ?

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Thank god the french do what the french do on 09:53 - Aug 16 with 3460 viewsarfurdent

Thank god the french do what the french do on 09:35 - Aug 16 by SaintNick

The thing I cant get my head around is the French seem to idolise Napoleon, a tyrant who tried to conquer all of Europe creating death and destruction, I can see little difference between Napoleon & Hitler in this respect other than Hitler had the technology to do things on a massive scale.

sounds like the EU

Thank god the french do what the french do on 10:16 - Aug 16 with 3445 viewsdirk_doone

For the same reasons we idolize Henry V.. The more countries they invaded and conquered, the more leaders are revered as heroes by their people. Mongolia's national hero is Genghis Khan. You will find statues of him everywhere there.

As for attacking and conquering other countries, nobody can beat the English at that. There are very few countries left in the world that haven't been attacked by the English. Long before the Falklands War, we attacked Argentina, and we attacked and massacred monks when we invaded Tibet long before the Chinese invaded it. We attacked China to force them to accept our opium traders.

http://www.humanosphere.org/basics/2013/08/map-of-the-day-where-the-brits-never-
[Post edited 16 Aug 2020 10:20]

Thank god the french do what the french do on 10:16 - Aug 16 with 3444 viewsDellHero_Would

Some may argue Napoleons intentions were noble. He left many positive influences on French culture, politics.

Whereas hitler and his 1000 year reich didn’t, in comparison to old Boney....I do like the Autobahns though, while listening to a bit of Kraftwork...

Poll: Wearing a mask

Thank god the french do what the french do on 10:24 - Aug 16 with 3426 viewskernow

He made France great for a while within continental Europe. Restored a sense of national pride and restored order following the revolutionary chaos and terror.
Introduced the Napoleonic code which is the basis of civil law in the country.
Sponsored and supported the arts and sciences and introduced the metric system of measurement.

Although he is widely commemorated he is not universally popular having caused widespread death, destruction, defeat and economic ruin.

He died in exile on St Helena, the British refusing to repatriate his remains which would probably have been housed in some grand, purpose built structure as a tribute to his belligerence and vanity.
Thank god the french do what the french do on 10:30 - Aug 16 with 3416 viewsSaintNick

Thank god the french do what the french do on 10:24 - Aug 16 by kernow

He made France great for a while within continental Europe. Restored a sense of national pride and restored order following the revolutionary chaos and terror.
Introduced the Napoleonic code which is the basis of civil law in the country.
Sponsored and supported the arts and sciences and introduced the metric system of measurement.

Although he is widely commemorated he is not universally popular having caused widespread death, destruction, defeat and economic ruin.

He died in exile on St Helena, the British refusing to repatriate his remains which would probably have been housed in some grand, purpose built structure as a tribute to his belligerence and vanity.

As I said it all sounds very much like Hitler to me

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Thank god the french do what the french do on 10:39 - Aug 16 with 3409 viewsdirk_doone

Thank god the french do what the french do on 10:30 - Aug 16 by SaintNick

What do you think this lot think about the English kings we have statues of? Hitler is almost unique in being one of the few militaristic leaders who conquered other countries, who is not still celebrated by his people. The behaviour of the Mongol hordes was even worse than that of the Germans but that doesn't stop the Mongolians still being proud of what they did.

http://www.humanosphere.org/basics/2013/08/map-of-the-day-where-the-brits-never-
[Post edited 16 Aug 2020 11:12]

Thank god the french do what the french do on 11:06 - Aug 16 with 3390 viewsChesham_Saint

Thank god the french do what the french do on 10:30 - Aug 16 by SaintNick

The difference between them is that he didn’t seek to annihilate an entire race of people, but I agree, he was a brute who at times shamefully disregarded the welfare of his troops (Egypt/Moscow?)

I think he’s revered as he is such a massive historical figure for them and let’s face it, aside from cheese and wine what else do they really have? In any event, people forget that the concept of ‘countries’ like France, Italy and Germany Aaron quite a modern concept.

As for ‘England’ always being an aggressor (funny how Scotland and Wales are never mentioned when it comes to supposed ‘bad’ things) there’s plenty of instances where the U.K. has been invited in and been a force for good.

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

Thank god the french do what the french do on 11:53 - Aug 16 with 3368 viewsSadoldgit

Apart from playing a part in the French Revolution, becoming an Emporer from a lovely rank and making France into a major force in Europe, what did Napoleon Bonaparte ever do for the French? We became a global power under Victoria (whom we still venerate the way that the French do NP) but it was done with the power of our navy and army. I don’t think you can compare Bonaparte with Hitler.

I also don’t think we can feel superior to them considering that the Normans kicked our arses in 1066 and changed the culture here forever.
[Post edited 16 Aug 2020 11:55]
Thank god the french do what the french do on 12:09 - Aug 16 with 3357 viewsChesham_Saint

Thank god the french do what the french do on 11:53 - Aug 16 by Sadoldgit

Apart from playing a part in the French Revolution, becoming an Emporer from a lovely rank and making France into a major force in Europe, what did Napoleon Bonaparte ever do for the French? We became a global power under Victoria (whom we still venerate the way that the French do NP) but it was done with the power of our navy and army. I don’t think you can compare Bonaparte with Hitler.

I also don’t think we can feel superior to them considering that the Normans kicked our arses in 1066 and changed the culture here forever.
[Post edited 16 Aug 2020 11:55]

Point of order. The Normans did not for one second regard themselves as ‘French’.

As for Napoleon’s greatness it was all about ‘him’ (you’ve seen the painting of him in his emperor’s regalia?) - essentially he was a dictator. Not something most people like these days....

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

Thank god the french do what the french do on 12:49 - Aug 16 with 3342 viewsSadoldgit

Thank god the french do what the french do on 12:09 - Aug 16 by Chesham_Saint

Point of order. The Normans did not for one second regard themselves as ‘French’.

As for Napoleon’s greatness it was all about ‘him’ (you’ve seen the painting of him in his emperor’s regalia?) - essentially he was a dictator. Not something most people like these days....

I’m sure they don’t, but in those days the area we know as France was divided up into many factions. There would have been “French” on those boats as well as soldiers of Norse and Germanic origins. When you are getting stuck with the pointy end of something I doubt if you worry too much about the ethnicity of who is on the other end of the stick, but I believe the new aristocracy spoke French here for some time after the invasion and we class Normandy as being a part of France do we not?

Is Bonapart regarded as being “evil” in the same way that Hitler is? All great men throughout history have pictures and statues of themselves all over the place. Bonapart is no different to the rest.
[Post edited 16 Aug 2020 13:08]
Thank god the french do what the french do on 19:02 - Aug 16 with 3252 viewsarfurdent

Thank god the french do what the french do on 12:49 - Aug 16 by Sadoldgit

I’m sure they don’t, but in those days the area we know as France was divided up into many factions. There would have been “French” on those boats as well as soldiers of Norse and Germanic origins. When you are getting stuck with the pointy end of something I doubt if you worry too much about the ethnicity of who is on the other end of the stick, but I believe the new aristocracy spoke French here for some time after the invasion and we class Normandy as being a part of France do we not?

Is Bonapart regarded as being “evil” in the same way that Hitler is? All great men throughout history have pictures and statues of themselves all over the place. Bonapart is no different to the rest.
[Post edited 16 Aug 2020 13:08]

They are going to add Trump to Mount Rushmore when he wins

Thank god the french do what the french do on 22:35 - Aug 16 with 3210 viewsSadoldgit

Thank god the french do what the french do on 19:02 - Aug 16 by arfurdent

They are going to add Trump to Mount Rushmore when he wins

Only in his head
Thank god the french do what the french do on 08:43 - Aug 17 with 3130 viewsarfurdent

Thank god the french do what the french do on 22:35 - Aug 16 by Sadoldgit

Only in his head

all ready in planning stage. When Trump wins he will do a Putin and become President for life:

https://nypost.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2020/07/trump-rushmore.jpeg?qualit

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024