Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Should politicians resign? 10:26 - Aug 18 with 1834 viewsDorsetIan

When exactly did it change that heads of govt department no longer feel the need to resign when an almighty c0ck up occurs on their watch?

So many of them now just try to style it out and surely this can't be a welcome development.

If someone resigns it shows that the buck does indeed stop with them, that the job is more important than the individual, and that the individual has some decency/principles.

I'm not sure what it means if they cling on - but surely some kind of desperation.

Having become a complete laughing stock (previously Frank Spencer but on the front of the Mail this morning as Stan Laurel) surely Williamson would have salvaged more self respect by falling on his sword. What does he think he is gaining by staying in a job where he is now thought of with such contempt, and where he is surely going to get sacked at the next opportunity anyway?

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

Should politicians resign? on 20:46 - Aug 19 with 687 viewsDorsetIan

Should politicians resign? on 19:04 - Aug 19 by JaySaint

talking of uni's, my younger cousin has signed up for a Business Management degree (Bachelors) at Northumbria uni.

I would chuckle if that falls in the 'waste of time and money' bracket.

That's a great place. It's where Apple design genius Jony Ive studied (when it was Newcastle Poly). He did OK (estimated net worth $500 million...)

Should politicians resign? on 22:06 - Aug 19 with 651 viewsBoris_

'Education for all' is a load of sh*t. Ditch Travel and Tourism, Media Studies and all of the other pointless subjects and then pay people bursaries for the subjects that actually mean something and directly lead in to a job such as Medical, Science, Marketing etc.

I pay absolutely no attention to a degree if it's in Travel and Tourism... basically means they wanted to go on the p*ss at Uni for a few years and that's about it.

Poll: Claude Puel

Should politicians resign? on 09:39 - Aug 20 with 593 viewsGennaro_Contaldo

Grades MUCH higher than normal YoY growth, shock ...

"In English more than four in five candidates (80.2%) got a grade 4 - or pass grade - compared with 70.5% last year.

And almost a quarter (23.5%) got a top grade 7 or higher compared with 17.4% last year.

In maths almost four in five passed (77.2%) and 24.3% got grade 7 or higher, compared with 71.5% and 20.4% respectively last year."

The UI; For the sophisticated gentleman
Poll: Where will Saints finish in the 2018/19 season

Should politicians resign? on 09:43 - Aug 20 with 589 viewssolent_toffee

Should politicians resign? on 22:06 - Aug 19 by Boris_

'Education for all' is a load of sh*t. Ditch Travel and Tourism, Media Studies and all of the other pointless subjects and then pay people bursaries for the subjects that actually mean something and directly lead in to a job such as Medical, Science, Marketing etc.

I pay absolutely no attention to a degree if it's in Travel and Tourism... basically means they wanted to go on the p*ss at Uni for a few years and that's about it.

I’ve a friend who gained a degree in Travel and Tourism and is now the European Vice President of a a large international hotel chain. He would never have got that far without his degree.

It’s about how the individual applies themselves during that degree.

My degree could fall into the ‘pointless subjects’ it certain sounds it anyway ‘Social and Community Studies’, but I hoovered up every opportunity that was put in front of me at Uni, work placements, speaking at conferences etc and hammered it. Was managing projects within a year of leaving and have done ever since.

The issue with a lot of students going to Uni is that they don’t have a plan and end up being indulged and wasting an enormous amount of money.
Should politicians resign? on 09:57 - Aug 20 with 575 viewsBoris_

Should politicians resign? on 09:43 - Aug 20 by solent_toffee

I’ve a friend who gained a degree in Travel and Tourism and is now the European Vice President of a a large international hotel chain. He would never have got that far without his degree.

It’s about how the individual applies themselves during that degree.

My degree could fall into the ‘pointless subjects’ it certain sounds it anyway ‘Social and Community Studies’, but I hoovered up every opportunity that was put in front of me at Uni, work placements, speaking at conferences etc and hammered it. Was managing projects within a year of leaving and have done ever since.

The issue with a lot of students going to Uni is that they don’t have a plan and end up being indulged and wasting an enormous amount of money.

On the contrary, I would suggest he could have got that job without his degree. He could have started at the bottom and worked his way up and if he'd grafted for 4 years at the local Holiday Inn, he would be on his way to managing his own hotel before his friends even left Uni to start their first job.

I am not saying University is pointless by the way. For at least half of students who have a clear goal at the end of it, it's critical.

However there are far too many people who go to Uni for the 'lifestyle' and have no intention of using their degree once they graduate. I'd much rather that we push them out and invest more in to bursaries for Nurses, Doctors etc
[Post edited 20 Aug 2020 10:04]

Should politicians resign? on 10:27 - Aug 20 with 563 viewssolent_toffee

Should politicians resign? on 09:57 - Aug 20 by Boris_

On the contrary, I would suggest he could have got that job without his degree. He could have started at the bottom and worked his way up and if he'd grafted for 4 years at the local Holiday Inn, he would be on his way to managing his own hotel before his friends even left Uni to start their first job.

I am not saying University is pointless by the way. For at least half of students who have a clear goal at the end of it, it's critical.

However there are far too many people who go to Uni for the 'lifestyle' and have no intention of using their degree once they graduate. I'd much rather that we push them out and invest more in to bursaries for Nurses, Doctors etc

I think you’re right, in that’s how it should be ie you work hard and get on regardless of whether you have a degree or not.

But more and more these days, people with degrees are getting jobs or promoted because they hold a certain qualification over someone who has experience and can clearly do the job. It’s not right, but it’s becoming more common.
Should politicians resign? on 11:44 - Aug 20 with 537 viewsDorsetIan

Should politicians resign? on 09:57 - Aug 20 by Boris_

"However there are far too many people who go to Uni for the 'lifestyle' and have no intention of using their degree once they graduate."

Pure prejudice.

Why would anyone with no intention of 'using' their degree, incur all that debt for a lifestyle choice? You are in cloud cuckoo land.

Should politicians resign? on 12:53 - Aug 20 with 512 viewsBoris_

Should politicians resign? on 11:44 - Aug 20 by DorsetIan

"However there are far too many people who go to Uni for the 'lifestyle' and have no intention of using their degree once they graduate."

Pure prejudice.

Why would anyone with no intention of 'using' their degree, incur all that debt for a lifestyle choice? You are in cloud cuckoo land.

You're a very naive little flower you are, aren't you?

So in your opinion, everyone who goes to university does so in order to follow a specific career path and they all leave Uni and move in to that field of work?

I've looked through perhaps 200 CV's in the last few weeks and they are littered with pointless courses that have seen them leave Uni and end up in a Shop or behind a bar and then following a completely unrelated path.

I'll actively avoid employing anyone who has gone to Uni and done a pointless course like 'Media Studies' ( and I work in Entertainment/Media! ) as it's just an excuse for a few years dossing.

Login to get fewer ads

Should politicians resign? on 13:01 - Aug 20 with 506 viewsDorsetIan

Should politicians resign? on 12:53 - Aug 20 by Boris_

So in your opinion, everyone who goes to university does so in order to follow a specific career path and they all leave Uni and move in to that field of work?

I've looked through perhaps 200 CV's in the last few weeks and they are littered with pointless courses that have seen them leave Uni and end up in a Shop or behind a bar and then following a completely unrelated path.

I'll actively avoid employing anyone who has gone to Uni and done a pointless course like 'Media Studies' ( and I work in Entertainment/Media! ) as it's just an excuse for a few years dossing.

You said that they went to University with no intention of using their degree. That's a really stupid comment.

Just because they have the misfortune of having to send their CVs to you, doesn't mean they did not intend to use their degree.

Maybe they were misguided and maybe they were overly optimistic of the benefits that their degree would bring, but that doesn't mean they went to University just for the fun of it.

What's really sad it that I think you really believe that these bombastic cliches that you constantly trot out are actually worth listening to.

Should politicians resign? on 13:09 - Aug 20 with 505 viewssolent_toffee

Should politicians resign? on 12:53 - Aug 20 by Boris_

I’m not convinced that people go to Uni with the intention of dossing for a couple of years.

Don’t get me wrong, even back in my day (2000-2003), there were students who didn’t attend a single lecture, got no qualification after three years and racked up a load of debt, but they were the minority rather than the majority.

I do think that there has to be a more focussed vocational push from Universities with courses having a clearer realistic pathway to employment though. Media studies for example would have its own merits if there was evidence that there was sufficient sustainable jobs at the end of it.
Should politicians resign? on 13:14 - Aug 20 with 502 viewsDorsetIan

Should politicians resign? on 13:09 - Aug 20 by solent_toffee

I’m not convinced that people go to Uni with the intention of dossing for a couple of years.

Don’t get me wrong, even back in my day (2000-2003), there were students who didn’t attend a single lecture, got no qualification after three years and racked up a load of debt, but they were the minority rather than the majority.

I do think that there has to be a more focussed vocational push from Universities with courses having a clearer realistic pathway to employment though. Media studies for example would have its own merits if there was evidence that there was sufficient sustainable jobs at the end of it.

Sensible comments.

Should politicians resign? on 13:18 - Aug 20 with 495 viewsBoris_

Media Studies would have it's own merits if people in Media thought it was a course that added value to a candidate... which they don't. That's the issue. Employers in media won't look at someone with a Media Studies degree and look to employ them over someone who has spent the last 3 years as a Junior learning on the job.

It's a pointless course.
[Post edited 20 Aug 2020 13:26]

Should politicians resign? on 13:56 - Aug 20 with 469 viewsDorsetIan

Should politicians resign? on 13:18 - Aug 20 by Boris_

Media Studies would have it's own merits if people in Media thought it was a course that added value to a candidate... which they don't. That's the issue. Employers in media won't look at someone with a Media Studies degree and look to employ them over someone who has spent the last 3 years as a Junior learning on the job.

It's a pointless course.

Is it possible for you to speak about anything without wild prejudicial generalisations off the top of your head?

You write as though no one with a Media Studies Degree ever went on to work in the industry.

Utter drivel, as usual.

Should politicians resign? on 13:57 - Aug 20 with 469 viewssolent_toffee

Should politicians resign? on 13:18 - Aug 20 by Boris_

It's a pointless course.

Are you speaking on behalf of the entire media industry here, that sounds like a massive sweeping statement.

Do media roles all start from the bottom and work your way up. I find that really hard to believe.
Should politicians resign? on 13:57 - Aug 20 with 468 viewsJaySaint

The Labour universities minister was harping on about the abject failure of Govt, because Uni's halls are full. Apparently, govt should be subsidising students in privately rented accom as not being on campus and enjoying student life will a detrimental to their mental health

Poll: Who is responsible for Liverpool's defeat?

Should politicians resign? on 14:06 - Aug 20 with 457 viewsKennington

I went to uni around the same time as you, and I went purely to have fun. Managed to achieve that and got a degree in a pointless arts discipline as a bonus. Years later I went and got a proper degree from LSE. Very different experience and I definitely didn’t d!ck around while paying from real money rather than monopoly student loan money.
[Post edited 20 Aug 2020 14:08]

Poll: What age is too old for a striker?

Should politicians resign? on 14:10 - Aug 20 with 446 viewsHeisenberg

I had a bloody great time at Uni. 3 years of learning and partying without a care in the world. No kids and no mortgage it was a great time. It was in the days when you either got an apprenticeship, was on the dole or went to uni. It seemed a lot easier back then. And you could have a few beers, go and see a band or go and watch Saints and it wouldn't cost you a fortune. Happy days.

“Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously'
Poll: Who should get a statue outside the old girl ?

Should politicians resign? on 15:25 - Aug 20 with 422 viewssaint22

Should politicians resign? on 13:57 - Aug 20 by solent_toffee

Are you speaking on behalf of the entire media industry here, that sounds like a massive sweeping statement.

Do media roles all start from the bottom and work your way up. I find that really hard to believe.

He is like his namesake
full of BS and likely off on holiday when needed
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024