Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Rule Britannia! 15:32 - Aug 25 with 9724 viewsSadoldgit

So the BBC have compromised and have not banned this and Land of Hope and Glory from the Proms, an instrumental version will be played instead. Seems sensible not to be singing Britains never never never shall be slaves at a time like this, but Boris Johnson doesn’t agree. Perhaps it is time he went on a diversity course?
Rule Britannia! on 15:14 - Aug 29 with 766 viewsDorsetIan

Rule Britannia! on 13:35 - Aug 29 by Boris_

You are not. You're talking about the Black Lives Matter movement specifically, you didn't need to use the letters BLM.

BLM is an organisation, not a cause. They are campaigning to Free Palestine.

As a supporter of the BLM movement, I am asking you why they are campaigning to Free Palestine?

Why are you ranting about this again on a football forum?

Most people find it pretty easy to differentiate between the black lives matter movement and anything that might be labelled as ‘the organisation’. Most people without an agenda, that is.

How about an another fundraiser instead of all this aggro?

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

Rule Britannia! on 15:33 - Aug 29 with 745 viewsBicester_North

Rule Britannia! on 13:01 - Aug 29 by Sadoldgit

It’s not once a year though is it. It happens at events all over the country. It was “tradition” to bait bears in pits, to burn witches at the stake, for the landowner to shag a peasants bride on the night of their marriage, should we do those things once a year too?

Singing songs is equivalent to barbaric acts??

Poll: Who do you feel most sorry for

Rule Britannia! on 15:39 - Aug 29 with 738 viewsSadoldgit

Rule Britannia! on 13:35 - Aug 29 by Boris_

You are not. You're talking about the Black Lives Matter movement specifically, you didn't need to use the letters BLM.

BLM is an organisation, not a cause. They are campaigning to Free Palestine.

As a supporter of the BLM movement, I am asking you why they are campaigning to Free Palestine?

You are doing it again. Deliberately ignoring the point so you take take the subject off on a tangent. You know precisely what we are talking about here as Ian points out.

Oh, and by the way, no one is forcing you to reply to threads. You have a choice. It was better when you chose to be busy. There was more discussion and less aggro.
Rule Britannia! on 15:48 - Aug 29 with 730 viewsBison

Rule Britannia! on 15:39 - Aug 29 by Sadoldgit

You are doing it again. Deliberately ignoring the point so you take take the subject off on a tangent. You know precisely what we are talking about here as Ian points out.

Oh, and by the way, no one is forcing you to reply to threads. You have a choice. It was better when you chose to be busy. There was more discussion and less aggro.

Perhaps we can create 2 more thread types Right Wing Racists and Left Wing Commies and both sides agree not to comment on each other's threads. Job done , then perhaps we can stick to the football on the football thread .

Trust no one in a circus.
Poll: Who do you blame for saints not winning every game ?

Rule Britannia! on 15:50 - Aug 29 with 725 viewsSadoldgit

I deliberately posted this on the non football thread Bison!
Rule Britannia! on 15:57 - Aug 29 with 722 viewsBison

Rule Britannia! on 15:50 - Aug 29 by Sadoldgit

I deliberately posted this on the non football thread Bison!

No I'm not saying that , I'm saying an idea for the future , you post on your side so that you can get comments from your side i.e. s22 etc... and Boris , Jay can post on their side. It will stop the arguments or make it easier to ignore the viewpoints you or whoever don't like.

Pay attention Nick , I think I'm on to a winner if everyone obeys the rules and don't try to infiltrate each other's sub forum , we can then concentrate on the football abuse and JWP.

Trust no one in a circus.
Poll: Who do you blame for saints not winning every game ?

Rule Britannia! on 16:39 - Aug 29 with 706 viewsBazza

I honestly don't understand the fuss about 'never be slaves'. Is this being insensitive to those who may have slaves in their ancestry? Or is this just another example of wokeness.? Non-political explanations please
For sure we pretty much we all have slaves in our ancestry even ultra whites have been slaves to Vikings and Romans, serfs to landowners, Christians to Moslems and vice-versa.

In any case I agree the words are very dated as with the appallingly dour National Anthem, happy to see the back of both.
Rule Britannia! on 18:36 - Aug 29 with 679 viewsSadoldgit

Rule Britannia! on 15:57 - Aug 29 by Bison

No I'm not saying that , I'm saying an idea for the future , you post on your side so that you can get comments from your side i.e. s22 etc... and Boris , Jay can post on their side. It will stop the arguments or make it easier to ignore the viewpoints you or whoever don't like.

Pay attention Nick , I think I'm on to a winner if everyone obeys the rules and don't try to infiltrate each other's sub forum , we can then concentrate on the football abuse and JWP.

Wouldn’t it be easier if certain individuals just cut out the constant personal abuse? They wouldn’t have the balls to say the same things to people’s faces, yet are very brave behind their keyboards.
Login to get fewer ads

Rule Britannia! on 18:48 - Aug 29 with 669 viewsSadoldgit

Rule Britannia! on 15:33 - Aug 29 by Bicester_North

Singing songs is equivalent to barbaric acts??

No, I’m talking about continually doing something because of tradition. There are times when something either needs to stop or change.
Rule Britannia! on 18:57 - Aug 29 with 662 viewsBicester_North

Rule Britannia! on 18:48 - Aug 29 by Sadoldgit

No, I’m talking about continually doing something because of tradition. There are times when something either needs to stop or change.

I see, because we stopped burning people at the stake it means certain people
need to stop singing certain songs.

Rule Britannia! on 19:13 - Aug 29 with 647 viewsarfurdent

Rule Britannia! on 18:57 - Aug 29 by Bicester_North

I see, because we stopped burning people at the stake it means certain people
need to stop singing certain songs.

burning offenders at the stake would certainly stop litterbugs

And the White Knight is talking backwards And the Red Queen's off with her head

Rule Britannia! on 20:23 - Aug 29 with 626 viewsBridders2

Rule Britannia! on 18:48 - Aug 29 by Sadoldgit

Every country in the world has it's traditions, would you want them all to dispense with them? We're not living in the past, every now and then we like an old sing-song. Would you change an old sea chanty, or poem, or a Shakespeare play because the words aren't... modern enough???
You really are peddling a looney tune !
Rule Britannia! on 22:17 - Aug 29 with 572 viewsSadoldgit

Rule Britannia! on 20:23 - Aug 29 by Bridders2

Every country in the world has it's traditions, would you want them all to dispense with them? We're not living in the past, every now and then we like an old sing-song. Would you change an old sea chanty, or poem, or a Shakespeare play because the words aren't... modern enough???
You really are peddling a looney tune !

You are using Shakespeare as an example? Really?
There are plenty of old songs that people can sing if they want, all totally inoffensive about bluebirds and white cliffs. Why just get worked up about celebrating one that extols the virtues of being superior to other countries? What is it about being superior to others makes traditions worth keeping?
Rule Britannia! on 22:30 - Aug 29 with 569 viewsBicester_North

Rule Britannia! on 22:17 - Aug 29 by Sadoldgit

There are plenty of old songs that people can sing if they want, all totally inoffensive about bluebirds and white cliffs. Why just get worked up about celebrating one that extols the virtues of being superior to other countries? What is it about being superior to others makes traditions worth keeping?

You’re all over the place. You used mediaeval barbarism as an example of tradition , the other mush used a writer/poet which is far closer to lyrics of a harmless song.

Rule Britannia! on 00:02 - Aug 30 with 542 viewsSadoldgit

Rule Britannia! on 22:30 - Aug 29 by Bicester_North

You’re all over the place. You used mediaeval barbarism as an example of tradition , the other mush used a writer/poet which is far closer to lyrics of a harmless song.

Shakespeare against things we used to do that were bad. And I am all over the place? Ok.
Rule Britannia! on 01:10 - Aug 30 with 541 viewsBicester_North

Rule Britannia! on 00:02 - Aug 30 by Sadoldgit

Shakespeare against things we used to do that were bad. And I am all over the place? Ok.

What’s a closer example of British traditional culture to singing traditional songs?

A British writer and poet whose plays are still performed in schools? Which is broadly a part of “The arts”, as is the Proms.

Or your example of burning women at the stake?
[Post edited 30 Aug 2020 1:14]

Rule Britannia! on 07:05 - Aug 30 with 518 viewsarfurdent

Rule Britannia! on 22:17 - Aug 29 by Sadoldgit

surely designating the cliffs at Dover as "White" is elitist and possibly racist

Rule Britannia! on 10:22 - Aug 30 with 492 viewsSadoldgit

Rule Britannia! on 07:05 - Aug 30 by arfurdent

surely designating the cliffs at Dover as "White" is elitist and possibly racist

White cliffs matter!
Rule Britannia! on 10:45 - Aug 30 with 478 viewsKRAZYB

I stopped watching BBC a long time ago due to the bias they often displayed.
Rule Britannia! on 10:55 - Aug 30 with 470 viewsSadoldgit

Rule Britannia! on 20:20 - Aug 25 by Bison

So you don't want to use land of hope and glory written in 1901 but Holst is fine written 13 years later during WW1 when all the commonwealth troops were fighting and dieting for us. Perhaps Vera Lynn should be banned ?

It really doesn’t bother me when the various pieces were written, it is about the words and the sentiments behind them Bison. Some things are of their time, other things are timeless. The trick is to know which things to keep and which things to bin, and when. Our society has changed hugely over the last 100 years. I know that there are those who want to live in the past and pretend that nothing has changed, but life, and attitudes move on.

I vow to thee my country
All earthly things above
Entire and whole and perfect
The service of my love
The love that asks no question
The love that stands the test
That lays upon the altar
The dearest and the best
The love that never falters
The love that pays the price
The love that makes undaunted
The final sacrifice
And there's another country
I've heard of long ago
Most dear to them that love he
Most great to them that know
We may not count her armies
We may not see her king
Her fortress is a faithful heart
Her pride is suffering
And soul by soul and silently
Her shining bounds increase
And her ways are ways of gentleness
And all her paths are peace
[Post edited 30 Aug 2020 11:01]
Rule Britannia! on 11:03 - Aug 30 with 460 viewsSadoldgit

Rule Britannia! on 10:45 - Aug 30 by KRAZYB

I stopped watching BBC a long time ago due to the bias they often displayed.

The whole bias argument about the BBC is interesting. I know people from both sides of the political divide who claim that the BBC is biased which seems to be saying that they are getting it right.
Rule Britannia! on 11:49 - Aug 30 with 443 viewsJaySaint

people being unhappy is not really an indicator of the BBC getting it right.

matters not, we are seeing the BBC in the last throws of its current format

Poll: Who is responsible for Liverpool's defeat?

Rule Britannia! on 11:50 - Aug 30 with 442 viewsarfurdent

Rule Britannia! on 10:55 - Aug 30 by Sadoldgit

It really doesn’t bother me when the various pieces were written, it is about the words and the sentiments behind them Bison. Some things are of their time, other things are timeless. The trick is to know which things to keep and which things to bin, and when. Our society has changed hugely over the last 100 years. I know that there are those who want to live in the past and pretend that nothing has changed, but life, and attitudes move on.

I vow to thee my country
All earthly things above
Entire and whole and perfect
The service of my love
The love that asks no question
The love that stands the test
That lays upon the altar
The dearest and the best
The love that never falters
The love that pays the price
The love that makes undaunted
The final sacrifice
And there's another country
I've heard of long ago
Most dear to them that love he
Most great to them that know
We may not count her armies
We may not see her king
Her fortress is a faithful heart
Her pride is suffering
And soul by soul and silently
Her shining bounds increase
And her ways are ways of gentleness
[Post edited 30 Aug 2020 11:01]

once again a reference to King which is obviously sexist

I pay taxes so why do I need to show any other sort of loyalty

Rule Britannia! on 11:53 - Aug 30 with 439 viewsSadoldgit

Rule Britannia! on 11:50 - Aug 30 by arfurdent

once again a reference to King which is obviously sexist

I pay taxes so why do I need to show any other sort of loyalty

You seem to have completely missed the point of the lyrics.
Rule Britannia! on 12:20 - Aug 30 with 426 viewsBoris_

Rule Britannia! on 18:36 - Aug 29 by Sadoldgit

Wouldn’t it be easier if certain individuals just cut out the constant personal abuse? They wouldn’t have the balls to say the same things to people’s faces, yet are very brave behind their keyboards.

You are an absolute bellend and I would happily say it to your face mush.

Poll: Claude Puel

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024