Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Home or office 16:15 - Aug 28 with 3611 viewskingslandstand1

As it is now going to be the subject of a government campaign to get you back in the office I just wondered what people's views are, and then what are they actually going to do?

I always have shared between office and home anyway before all this ongoing stuff so I've just carried on as normal

Although certainly feel for the ancillary businesses (sandwich shop type places) that are undoubtedly suffering because majority are going to carry on working from home, but should one business expend vast amounts on larger office spaces, commuting costs etc to support these other businesses that rely on them

My main issue is the social interaction side that workers must miss being on their own all day and the mental effect that may have on them

Difficult one
Home or office on 10:18 - Aug 29 with 981 viewsJaySaint

we have certain people at our place getting the union to make utterly ridiculous demands before even a 50% return to work..Covid councillors, regular disinfecting of the main office building, additional pay to return to work (danger pay), guarateed promotion etc etc.

Some have refused to do any work at home until the 'company' purchase them a laptop to use

Many in the UK really are a bunch selfish, useless fat b'stards, who want want want

Poll: Who is responsible for Liverpool's defeat?

Home or office on 10:36 - Aug 29 with 962 viewsSadoldgit

Home or office on 08:32 - Aug 29 by Heisenberg

It is quite ironic that a PM that goes missing for weeks on end is telling people to go back to work.

Putting that aside no way should we return to the 5 day commute for office workers. Cities clogged up with traffic is bad for the environment, our kids health and having people spending hours getting to and from work is unproductive. As someone who has worked from home for over 20 years people do need the interaction with others, particularly younger staff. A happy medium seems the best option with office workers working a mix of home / office.

This will be better for the environment, less traffic and will help meet COVID safety working requirements.

As for pret and other sandwich shops they are a complete rip off. Take your own lunch. Cheaper and healthier.

I think you are right. I think that many companies will down size and reduce staff hours working from offices. This has been going on for last last few years in the public sector anyway. Covid will just accelerate the situation.

My wife has just gone back to working in the office a couple of weeks ago but feels she was far more productive at home. Not only was there less chit chat with her colleagues, but because she wasn’t commuting she ended up working longer hours. She would start 10 minutes earlier and finish 20 minutes later most days.

A leaked sage report estimates that there could be another 85,000 deaths through Covid this winter, so a rush back to office work in general probably isn’t advisable anyway. We will need to find a balancing act.

It is sad that many people will lose job in the food industry but it was ever thus. Places spring up where there are needs and close where the needs change. This is the problem when the economy is hugely reliant in service industries. If there is no requirement for services then jobs go.

The problems of the pandemic on societies and on the economy are a long way from over. Things are going to be very different here when it finally lifts.
Home or office on 11:01 - Aug 29 with 947 viewsBison

I've been working from home for about 12 years now and believe me the novelty will soon wear off , at first you are more productive as you think you have to justify the privilege , you end up working more hours and say well it's saving me the commute time. Then as time goes by you find you don't talk to anyone most of the day as new comms methods mean most people just use some type of instant messaging like Sametime where your fingers talk.

I have not had a day off sick for 12 years as suddenly you feel guilty as you are at home anyway so I have ended up working in bed for a week or similar just to keep your record up that's not healthy or as productive.

Like I said earlier the older generation my think its good but for the younger generation it would be a disaster , who would mentor them when they are learning ? I have been doing this for years and I know for sure I have become more introverted , less conversational , how was my day working from home ? Well unless they are interested in your work you have nothing new to say. No work gossip , no idiot an train on way home to moan about etc... believe me it's not a bed of roses.

Trust no one in a circus.
Poll: Who do you blame for saints not winning every game ?

Home or office on 11:08 - Aug 29 with 933 viewsSadoldgit

I worked from home for 17 years in the 80s and 90s and loved it. Mind you, I did visit wholesalers on a regular basis and we did have regular meetings so it wasn’t a socially isolated job. Mixing time in the office and time working from home would be so bad.
Home or office on 11:22 - Aug 29 with 909 viewsBoris_

Home or office on 11:01 - Aug 29 by Bison

I've been working from home for about 12 years now and believe me the novelty will soon wear off , at first you are more productive as you think you have to justify the privilege , you end up working more hours and say well it's saving me the commute time. Then as time goes by you find you don't talk to anyone most of the day as new comms methods mean most people just use some type of instant messaging like Sametime where your fingers talk.

I have not had a day off sick for 12 years as suddenly you feel guilty as you are at home anyway so I have ended up working in bed for a week or similar just to keep your record up that's not healthy or as productive.

Like I said earlier the older generation my think its good but for the younger generation it would be a disaster , who would mentor them when they are learning ? I have been doing this for years and I know for sure I have become more introverted , less conversational , how was my day working from home ? Well unless they are interested in your work you have nothing new to say. No work gossip , no idiot an train on way home to moan about etc... believe me it's not a bed of roses.

The people who shout about it being more productive are generally those that think it will just make life easier and is a representation of the want, want, want culture that is infecting this country where millennials demand everything for nothing.

Like you said, reality is that working from home is great for a few weeks but the novelty will soon wear off when they spend all day every day couped up in the box room in their house.

Separating work from home life is so important for mental health as well.

Poll: Claude Puel

Home or office on 11:41 - Aug 29 with 890 viewsKennington

Home or office on 11:22 - Aug 29 by Boris_

The people who shout about it being more productive are generally those that think it will just make life easier and is a representation of the want, want, want culture that is infecting this country where millennials demand everything for nothing.

Like you said, reality is that working from home is great for a few weeks but the novelty will soon wear off when they spend all day every day couped up in the box room in their house.

It works for some people more than others. For me freeing myself from having to endure the mind numbing office chats about what Simon Cowell or Ant and Dec did on their latest ‘talent’ show is incredibly liberating. I’m genuinely happier not having to be in an office. Least of all I find sitting on an office chair all day incredibly unnatural and at home, I get to choose to break up the day with some push-ups, stretching or chin ups for 5 minutes or so. You can’t really do that in your average open plan office. As to people saying you’ll gain weight wfh, I’d disagree on that too. My weekly running mileage is now up from 45 miles to about 65 miles, as I can work more flexibly and fit more exercise in.

Poll: What age is too old for a striker?

Home or office on 11:59 - Aug 29 with 880 viewsSalisburySaint

Home or office on 10:03 - Aug 29 by Boris_

Working from home is not healthy at all, either from a BUSINESS perspective or an employees mental health. It's also a myth that it's more productive ( normally a line trotted out by those who can't be bothered to go back to the office )

The only people who are more productive at home is Senior Management who benefit from working without distraction on big projects ( such as Gennaro )

The only remote workers we have are sales related people who have clear targets so it's easy to trace.

I think most offices will realise it's not as productive and begin to bring their staff back to the office.

I feel sorry for the millions of people that will lose their jobs if this doesn't happen.

Cleaners, Builders, Tradesmen, Receptionists, Security, Hotels, Restaurants, Bars, Cafe's, Commercial Estate Agents, Public Transport etc. People are very naive if they think it's just Pret a Manger that are going to be affected if people don't get back in the office. It would be catastrophic for the economy.
[Post edited 29 Aug 2020 10:15]

“The only people who are more productive at home is Senior Management who benefit from working without distraction on big projects ( such as Genaro ) “

Yet another sweeping generalisation from you, which seems to be the norm from our resident expert on everything and everyone.

I’m not senior management, but have found I’ve more more productive with less distractions and interruptions that I have in the office.

However I’ve also found that my manager has found the expectations of him are that he should be available by his managers day or night, which isn’t acceptable

Regards getting everyone back in the office, most offices are not capable floor area wise, of accommodating the same number of staff that they did. Pre-Covid if they are to comply with current working practices, so I only limited staff will be able to return, so working at home several days a week I’m sure will be the new norm, which with some days in office should help with mental health issues

Unfortunately people will lose jobs as a result, but many of the areas you mention will still be required, eg Cleaners, Builders, tradesman, builders, receptionists, security as most businesses even if not getting everybody back in office will still be keeping their offices

[Post edited 29 Aug 2020 12:08]
Home or office on 12:06 - Aug 29 with 863 viewsSadoldgit

Home or office on 11:22 - Aug 29 by Boris_

Which people are “shouting”? Why do you have to turn every discussion in a personal battle? This place was so much less confrontational when you took your (very short) break. People have different opinions. If you don’t agree with them it doesn’t mean their opinion is less valid. And nobody is shouting except you. Perhaps you need a longer break Doris?
Login to get fewer ads

Home or office on 12:08 - Aug 29 with 858 viewsJaySaint

Home or office on 12:06 - Aug 29 by Sadoldgit

Which people are “shouting”? Why do you have to turn every discussion in a personal battle? This place was so much less confrontational when you took your (very short) break. People have different opinions. If you don’t agree with them it doesn’t mean their opinion is less valid. And nobody is shouting except you. Perhaps you need a longer break Doris?

what do you know about this forum. You only started posting regularly fairly recently...

this was a place of banter and 'lads down the pub' kind of vibe.

Poll: Who is responsible for Liverpool's defeat?

Home or office on 12:09 - Aug 29 with 846 viewsBoris_

Home or office on 12:06 - Aug 29 by Sadoldgit

Where are you getting that I was on a break? I said I was busy for the next few weeks ( which I am ) . I've popped on here on a Saturday morning as the Mrs is off horse riding and I thought I'd see how many more mattresses you've soiled.

Home or office on 12:14 - Aug 29 with 831 viewsSadoldgit

Home or office on 12:09 - Aug 29 by Boris_

Where are you getting that I was on a break? I said I was busy for the next few weeks ( which I am ) . I've popped on here on a Saturday morning as the Mrs is off horse riding and I thought I'd see how many more mattresses you've soiled.

What was the point of the grand announcement that you were “busy” for then? Do we all have to announce how busy (or not) we are now as part of the “new normal”?
Home or office on 12:16 - Aug 29 with 823 viewsBoris_

Home or office on 12:14 - Aug 29 by Sadoldgit

What was the point of the grand announcement that you were “busy” for then? Do we all have to announce how busy (or not) we are now as part of the “new normal”?

Why do you push your left wing ideology to a bunch of people who don't care and you don't know on a football forum? Is this part of the "new normal" ?

You're a f*cking strange one, Soppy.

Home or office on 12:26 - Aug 29 with 810 viewsSadoldgit

Home or office on 12:16 - Aug 29 by Boris_

Why do you push your left wing ideology to a bunch of people who don't care and you don't know on a football forum? Is this part of the "new normal" ?

You're a f*cking strange one, Soppy.

And you are completely lacking in self awareness Doris, but hey, as long as you have an audience eh?
Home or office on 12:35 - Aug 29 with 798 viewsBoris_

Home or office on 12:26 - Aug 29 by Sadoldgit

And you are completely lacking in self awareness Doris, but hey, as long as you have an audience eh?

Before you bunch of clowns turned up on here, there was hardly any politics posted. You sit on here all hours of the day trying to bang on about political topics to anyone that would listen.

You probably need to get a life mush and spend less time on the internet talking to strangers.

Home or office on 12:45 - Aug 29 with 784 viewsSadoldgit

Home or office on 12:35 - Aug 29 by Boris_

Before you bunch of clowns turned up on here, there was hardly any politics posted. You sit on here all hours of the day trying to bang on about political topics to anyone that would listen.

You probably need to get a life mush and spend less time on the internet talking to strangers.

Perhaps you should follow your own advice mush. I am beginning to think that Elon Musk is also trialling the implant used in Gertrude in a human.
Home or office on 14:10 - Aug 29 with 749 viewsDorsetIan

Home or office on 12:35 - Aug 29 by Boris_

Whenever you post you are ‚banging on‘ about something.

Cool your boots man, it‘s just a football forum, with a variety of voices and perspectives.

Maybe try to enjoy the discussion and park your anger for a while.

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

Home or office on 14:11 - Aug 29 with 738 viewsBoris_

Home or office on 14:10 - Aug 29 by DorsetIan

Whenever you post you are ‚banging on‘ about something.

Cool your boots man, it‘s just a football forum, with a variety of voices and perspectives.

Maybe try to enjoy the discussion and park your anger for a while.

Football forum mush. Glad you agree.

What is your percentage of football that you talk about on here in comparison to your left wing politics you like to bang on about?

If you're posting more politics than football, don't you think you should find a politics forum, where you will get far more debate?

Home or office on 14:47 - Aug 29 with 720 viewscocklebreath

Boris is the expert on everything, he’s the uglys version of Hypocondraic on saints web

Poll: Who is the biggest c*nt?

Home or office on 15:09 - Aug 29 with 711 viewsDorsetIan

Home or office on 14:11 - Aug 29 by Boris_

Football forum mush. Glad you agree.

What is your percentage of football that you talk about on here in comparison to your left wing politics you like to bang on about?

If you're posting more politics than football, don't you think you should find a politics forum, where you will get far more debate?

You‘re very intolerant of other views, aren’t you?

And completely without insight.

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

Home or office on 15:32 - Aug 29 with 696 viewskingslandstand1

Home or office on 12:08 - Aug 29 by JaySaint

what do you know about this forum. You only started posting regularly fairly recently...

If we could go to the pub
Home or office on 16:32 - Aug 29 with 685 viewscocklebreath

Proper ladz with proper bantz

Poll: Who is the biggest c*nt?

Home or office on 17:32 - Aug 29 with 665 viewsGennaro_Contaldo

Some interesting thoughts on this thread. As I've said, for me and my company, we've personally done brilliantly in launching new products AND we have interviewed remotely and hired at least 10 people.

I don't miss 3 hours commuting or the £7k a year it costs, although I do miss a friendly Wints on the train occasionally ;)

For me as I said, I think 2 days back in the office will be fine, for key meetings and to give the odd person some encouragement face to face. Plus, I would actually like to meet my own 2 new hires I've made in the last 4 months in person!!

Having said that, I think those that have suffered more are the younger people we have who live on their own. Some of them prefer the office interaction.

Our office is actually closed until 2021 but when we reopen, I expect it to be totally about choice. There are those that want to go in 4-5 days a week and those like me that would e happy doing just 2 days a week in the office. My main motivation is family - when commuting if I get home at 1930, I get to say goodnight to my son and that's it. Now I can wrap up at 1800, have dinner, play, read stories and spend far more time with him. THAT is the main motivator for me personally. When he's a teenager and wants to stay in his room and ignore me, fine, I'll commute again. Maybe.

The UI; For the sophisticated gentleman
Poll: Where will Saints finish in the 2018/19 season

Home or office on 18:03 - Aug 29 with 650 viewsSadoldgit

I have been reading the posts on this forum for a number of years.
Home or office on 12:32 - Aug 30 with 587 viewsBoris_

Home or office on 15:09 - Aug 29 by DorsetIan

You‘re very intolerant of other views, aren’t you?

And completely without insight.

What percentage of your posts are about football?

Home or office on 15:21 - Aug 30 with 558 viewsButty101

Home or office on 17:32 - Aug 29 by Gennaro_Contaldo

Some interesting thoughts on this thread. As I've said, for me and my company, we've personally done brilliantly in launching new products AND we have interviewed remotely and hired at least 10 people.

I don't miss 3 hours commuting or the £7k a year it costs, although I do miss a friendly Wints on the train occasionally ;)

For me as I said, I think 2 days back in the office will be fine, for key meetings and to give the odd person some encouragement face to face. Plus, I would actually like to meet my own 2 new hires I've made in the last 4 months in person!!

Having said that, I think those that have suffered more are the younger people we have who live on their own. Some of them prefer the office interaction.

Our office is actually closed until 2021 but when we reopen, I expect it to be totally about choice. There are those that want to go in 4-5 days a week and those like me that would e happy doing just 2 days a week in the office. My main motivation is family - when commuting if I get home at 1930, I get to say goodnight to my son and that's it. Now I can wrap up at 1800, have dinner, play, read stories and spend far more time with him. THAT is the main motivator for me personally. When he's a teenager and wants to stay in his room and ignore me, fine, I'll commute again. Maybe.

The company I work for have delivered software features without to much disruption, over the last few months. It has been worked out that efficiently is at about 92% compared to the office.

Someone else mentioned about office workers being made unemployed and the jobs shipped abroad. I don’t see this happening. Company’s already have that option of moving work to India, in my experience you pay for what you get quality wise

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024