Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
On the Ball. 08:42 - Sep 6 with 1227 viewsbwildered

Having not watched the Royals defeat on ifollow , what has changed under the new boss ? Did we play with more pace etc ??

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

On the Ball. on 10:57 - Sep 6 with 1205 viewsMoor_Pinot

Too early to say bw.
What was noticeable for me was that it took a while to realise Frank or Jackson, Prosser and indeed Comley just weren't there.
It was a relief not to have Senior flattering to deceive and passing to the opposition. But remember we were playing a decent Championship side.
Might learn a wee bit more v Pompey but I doubt it.

Moor Pinot

On the Ball. on 12:01 - Sep 7 with 1138 viewswessex_exile

On the Ball. on 10:57 - Sep 6 by Moor_Pinot

Too early to say bw.
What was noticeable for me was that it took a while to realise Frank or Jackson, Prosser and indeed Comley just weren't there.
It was a relief not to have Senior flattering to deceive and passing to the opposition. But remember we were playing a decent Championship side.
Might learn a wee bit more v Pompey but I doubt it.

Agree with that Pinault.

Bearing in mind Reading looked very rusty first half, I was still tremendously encouraged by the one-touch triangles were making, the pace we were getting forward, and to a degree also managing to get something in the box. Still work to do on that front, but Brown took his goal with aplomb, and with three goals already to his name, surely must be building in confidence. We lost our concentration for their equaliser, and I do think (Eastman?) could have done more to get goal-side of João and make things a bit harder for him - still a very well-worked and well-taken goal though.

Second half Reading finally got going as a decent Championship side, who look to have a tremendous prospect in their hands with João. Chasing shadows for most of it, and slightly alarming that both of there goals were basically waltzed through a static onlooking back four failing to play an offside trap. Perhaps I'm being too harsh, given how much better Reading were second half. As mentioned previously, Harriott should have grabbed a second for the U's, but it would have only made the scoreline more flattering than it should have been.

All in all though, if we're planning to play with that level of passing and pace against League 2 sides, looks good to me.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

On the Ball. on 12:30 - Sep 13 with 1015 viewsbwildered

How was it for the Ifollowers for the Bradford experience ? Thoughts also on the Ball tenature so far ?

On the Ball. on 22:39 - Sep 13 with 959 viewsdurham_exile

Courtesy of iFollow I watched the first league game of the season at Valley Parade on Saturday afternoon.

The weather was kind and the pitch was in splendid condition considering that the Bantams Pitch is normally the worse for wear. BBC Essex provided the commentary with Glenn Speller and David Gregory.

The U’s lined up as follows:

Gerken

Welch-Hayes Eastman Smith Bramall

Pell Chilvers Stevenson

Gambin Brown Poku

Subs:
George Sowunmi Senior Cowan-Hall Scarlett Marshall-Miranda Tovide

Callum (Ainsley) Harriott was injured and Martell Taylor-Crossdale did not even make the bench. No explanation was given, but I sincerely hope that he starts next week against Bolton Wanderers.

Now despite the apparent 4,3,3 formation it was more like 4,5,1 with Jevani Brown the lone striker.

Both teams took the knee before kick-off.

Dean Gerken made a superb double save to deny Kurtis Guthrie after 9 minutes. In truth Guthrie should have scored but the saves were excellent.

Colchester showed more attacking intent as the half wore on and Jevani Brown looks to be a revitalised player. He combined well with Poku and Welch-Hayes and after a brilliant turn in the box which left two defenders in his wake, he squared the ball for Poku who should have scored but found the keeper’s legs.

Half time saw parity.

Luke Gambin broke away on 62 minutes and his left foot shot was well saved at the near post by the keeper. Gambin then “scored” on 64 minutes, but it was correctly ruled out for offside.

Courtney Senior replaced Luke Gambin on 65 minutes and Gambin showed his displeasure at being replaced when he went to the bench.

On 73 minutes Guthrie went off and Clayton Donaldson replaced him for the Bantams. Donaldson set up Novak who “scored” on 75 minutes, but he too was rightly ruled offside.

Some brilliant work on the left wing from Cohen Bramall saw him deliver a near post cross but whereas Brown scored in similar circumstances last week at Reading he was unable to get sufficient touch otherwise the U’s would have deservedly taken the lead.
Gerken made another good save on 81 minutes and Welch-Hayes effected the clearance. Jevani Brown was well placed on 83 minutes but should have passed to Senior instead of attempting a shot himself.

Poku was replaced by Paris Cowan-Hall on 83 minutes and he looked very sharp. Tom Eastman had a header which went wide on 86 minutes and Cohen Bramall had a free kick on 89 minutes which went into the wall.

Marley Marshall-Miranda replaced Noah Chilvers on 93 minutes.

Tommy Smith was booked for a stupid foul on the edge of the box in the final minute which created unnecessary pressure when the U’s had not been worried for the entire second half.

The game finished 0-0 after 96 minutes.

So much for the factual stuff. Both teams cancelled each other out but I feel we shaded the second half and could have won the game.

Players' performances:

Dean Gerken — made a splendid double save and his handling overall was excellent.

Miles Welch-Hayes — had a particularly good game and linked up well with Poku and Brown.

Tom Eastman — carried on where he left off last season and was assured in possession.

Tommy Smith — impressed but made a stupid challenge in the last minute which could have proved costly.

Cohen Bramall — whatever we do we must retain his services he gets better and better every game. His pace is electrifying, and his free kicks are dangerous.

Noah Chilvers — the youngster looks impressive. He shows inexperience when attempting to take on one to many players, but he produced some excellent creative passes from the centre of the park.

Harry Pell — looking back to his best and the new club captain.

Ben Stevenson — my favourite midfield player. I just wish he would try more shots because he is worth 8 goals a season from midfield.

Kwame Poku — the only part of his game that is poor is shooting. He really could have scored when well-placed and found by Jevani Brown.

Luke Gambin — impressed on the left wing and was disappointed to be substituted by Courtney Senior.

Jevani Brown — my man of the match. Pacy, covered a lot of ground. Tracked back well and looks very sharp. Need striking support and MTC must play alongside him.

Paris Cowan-Hall if he can remain fit looks to be sharp and confident.

Steve Ball has the team playing some confident approach play.

Overall, we were good value for a point, but we did have two presentable chances to win the game.

I make no apology for continuing to moan about the fact that we have no striker on the field. If Martell Taylor-Crossdale is not match fit, then come out and say so. It is so frustrating that he was not even on the bench.

Chuck Norris is out for three months so play the youngster please and sign Reeco Hackett-Fairchild from Pompey on loan.

Bolton Wanderers have started suprisingly poorly but they will offer a threat on Saturday.

Overall a deserved point but we could have won the game if we had a striker to support Jevani Brown who already could be the player of the season such is his transformation from last season.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

On the Ball. on 23:32 - Sep 13 with 952 viewsgerry_us

On the Ball. on 22:39 - Sep 13 by durham_exile

Courtesy of iFollow I watched the first league game of the season at Valley Parade on Saturday afternoon.

The weather was kind and the pitch was in splendid condition considering that the Bantams Pitch is normally the worse for wear. BBC Essex provided the commentary with Glenn Speller and David Gregory.

The U’s lined up as follows:

Gerken

Welch-Hayes Eastman Smith Bramall

Pell Chilvers Stevenson

Gambin Brown Poku

Subs:
George Sowunmi Senior Cowan-Hall Scarlett Marshall-Miranda Tovide

Callum (Ainsley) Harriott was injured and Martell Taylor-Crossdale did not even make the bench. No explanation was given, but I sincerely hope that he starts next week against Bolton Wanderers.

Now despite the apparent 4,3,3 formation it was more like 4,5,1 with Jevani Brown the lone striker.

Both teams took the knee before kick-off.

Dean Gerken made a superb double save to deny Kurtis Guthrie after 9 minutes. In truth Guthrie should have scored but the saves were excellent.

Colchester showed more attacking intent as the half wore on and Jevani Brown looks to be a revitalised player. He combined well with Poku and Welch-Hayes and after a brilliant turn in the box which left two defenders in his wake, he squared the ball for Poku who should have scored but found the keeper’s legs.

Half time saw parity.

Luke Gambin broke away on 62 minutes and his left foot shot was well saved at the near post by the keeper. Gambin then “scored” on 64 minutes, but it was correctly ruled out for offside.

Courtney Senior replaced Luke Gambin on 65 minutes and Gambin showed his displeasure at being replaced when he went to the bench.

On 73 minutes Guthrie went off and Clayton Donaldson replaced him for the Bantams. Donaldson set up Novak who “scored” on 75 minutes, but he too was rightly ruled offside.

Some brilliant work on the left wing from Cohen Bramall saw him deliver a near post cross but whereas Brown scored in similar circumstances last week at Reading he was unable to get sufficient touch otherwise the U’s would have deservedly taken the lead.
Gerken made another good save on 81 minutes and Welch-Hayes effected the clearance. Jevani Brown was well placed on 83 minutes but should have passed to Senior instead of attempting a shot himself.

Poku was replaced by Paris Cowan-Hall on 83 minutes and he looked very sharp. Tom Eastman had a header which went wide on 86 minutes and Cohen Bramall had a free kick on 89 minutes which went into the wall.

Marley Marshall-Miranda replaced Noah Chilvers on 93 minutes.

Tommy Smith was booked for a stupid foul on the edge of the box in the final minute which created unnecessary pressure when the U’s had not been worried for the entire second half.

The game finished 0-0 after 96 minutes.

So much for the factual stuff. Both teams cancelled each other out but I feel we shaded the second half and could have won the game.

Players' performances:

Dean Gerken — made a splendid double save and his handling overall was excellent.

Miles Welch-Hayes — had a particularly good game and linked up well with Poku and Brown.

Tom Eastman — carried on where he left off last season and was assured in possession.

Tommy Smith — impressed but made a stupid challenge in the last minute which could have proved costly.

Cohen Bramall — whatever we do we must retain his services he gets better and better every game. His pace is electrifying, and his free kicks are dangerous.

Noah Chilvers — the youngster looks impressive. He shows inexperience when attempting to take on one to many players, but he produced some excellent creative passes from the centre of the park.

Harry Pell — looking back to his best and the new club captain.

Ben Stevenson — my favourite midfield player. I just wish he would try more shots because he is worth 8 goals a season from midfield.

Kwame Poku — the only part of his game that is poor is shooting. He really could have scored when well-placed and found by Jevani Brown.

Luke Gambin — impressed on the left wing and was disappointed to be substituted by Courtney Senior.

Jevani Brown — my man of the match. Pacy, covered a lot of ground. Tracked back well and looks very sharp. Need striking support and MTC must play alongside him.

Paris Cowan-Hall if he can remain fit looks to be sharp and confident.

Steve Ball has the team playing some confident approach play.

Overall, we were good value for a point, but we did have two presentable chances to win the game.

I make no apology for continuing to moan about the fact that we have no striker on the field. If Martell Taylor-Crossdale is not match fit, then come out and say so. It is so frustrating that he was not even on the bench.

Chuck Norris is out for three months so play the youngster please and sign Reeco Hackett-Fairchild from Pompey on loan.

Bolton Wanderers have started suprisingly poorly but they will offer a threat on Saturday.

Overall a deserved point but we could have won the game if we had a striker to support Jevani Brown who already could be the player of the season such is his transformation from last season.

Up the U's

No mention of your half time snack Peter. Hope the catering was OK!
On the Ball. on 23:57 - Sep 13 with 947 viewsdurham_exile

On the Ball. on 23:32 - Sep 13 by gerry_us

No mention of your half time snack Peter. Hope the catering was OK!

Gerry I had an Earl Grey tea a sausage roll and a corned beef sandwich.

Hardly the prawn sandwich brigade!

I have to say I would rather be at the game but the quality of picture was good and £10 is cheaper than a match ticket fuel and snacks or a meal!

Up the U's

Durham_exile

On the Ball. on 12:52 - Sep 14 with 920 viewsdurham_exile

Samson Tovide at 16 years of age was on the bench on Saturday.

According to the official Colchester website he was born in 1901.

He is doing remarkably well and looks very fit for his age.

Up the ever spritely U's

Durham_exile

On the Ball. on 13:15 - Sep 14 with 919 viewsburnsieespana

Thanks for your report.
Good to see Chilvers starting as he was a sub at Crystal Palace last year scoring a penalty and to me looked ready but never seemed to figure in JMcG plans.
Also good to see Brown performing well and starting to justify why we paid a lot for him, again JMcG didn't see to like him.
We will do well to retain Bramall I suspect and would be a big loss.
Login to get fewer ads

On the Ball. on 13:32 - Sep 14 with 914 viewswessex_exile

On the Ball. on 13:15 - Sep 14 by burnsieespana

Thanks for your report.
Good to see Chilvers starting as he was a sub at Crystal Palace last year scoring a penalty and to me looked ready but never seemed to figure in JMcG plans.
Also good to see Brown performing well and starting to justify why we paid a lot for him, again JMcG didn't see to like him.
We will do well to retain Bramall I suspect and would be a big loss.

Likewise I think Chilvers is doing very well - though I actually thought his performance on Saturday wasn't quite as good as some of his previous matches so far, but definitely starting to look comfortable in the starting XI.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

On the Ball. on 13:55 - Sep 14 with 912 viewsmfb_cufc

Gerken makes team of the week.

https://www.gazette-news.co.uk/sport/18719285.colchester-united-goalkeeper-dean-

mfb

On the Ball. on 18:43 - Sep 14 with 876 viewsbwildered

Is Chilvers playing in the hole roll or is it a fluid situation with Pell and Stevenson ?

On the Ball. on 20:15 - Sep 14 with 861 viewsdurham_exile

On the Ball. on 18:43 - Sep 14 by bwildered

Is Chilvers playing in the hole roll or is it a fluid situation with Pell and Stevenson ?

Bwildered Noah Chilvers was allowed to play ahead of Pell and Stevenson in a more attacking midfield role.
Poku plays slightly more advanced.

Chilvers is young and learning. He was caught on occasion taking on one player too many or failing to pass before losing the ball.

He is going to be a real asset to the team and will offer good support for the more advanced players.

Not afraid to challenge and win the ball either.

A star in the making.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024