Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
It's the same flipping narrative every season........... 22:07 - Sep 16 with 1700 viewsA1079

Start the season slow and get worse. Lose some games badly, then decide to have a bit of a run leading upto Christmas and then dip again and then have a final fling at the end to get us over the line. Sick of it, yes. Doesn't seem to matter who the manager is or who plays it is the same again and again.

RH says that he wanted to play his first team to get some practice in as we did not have a pre-season - for heavens sake it was only a few weeks ago we stopped playing.

Tired of the same excuses, the same narrative, the same disappointment.

This result is embarrassing and it looks like we are heading for another heavy defeat if we carry on like this.

We make one signing this summer (accepting that KWP was not really new) and he is not flipping available - another common narrative with our club. Why is it that whoever we sign always seems to have to take weeks before they can be used for the purpose they were purchased for?

I have no doubt that some player will be trotted out to say how they must do better etc etc.

Well, the fans can't be blamed this time, not by Ralph, the team or the author of this site.

Sorry to rant and I know I am not ranting that coherently but for once I believed we would start this season better and instead of that it is the same old stuff. The cover of the book may change with a new date but the pages read the same.
It's the same flipping narrative every season........... on 22:12 - Sep 16 with 1664 viewsPatfromPoole

It’s all good.

The second wave will come to our rescue and give us a few months off. Then we’ll come back after Project Restart and storm it.

Poll: If we win a play-off semi at St. Mary’s should there be a pitch invasion?

It's the same flipping narrative every season........... on 22:23 - Sep 16 with 1616 viewsSaintsforeverj

Totally agree. It comes down to same thing - the team is average and vastly under cared for, with a lack of investment. Ralph had them playing above their ability last year with sheer resilience and determination but we know that especially in defence and midfield, we just don't have any quality. The players are probably down after a lack of investment yet again, lacking in motivation and will need Ralph's team meetings and enthusiasm to get them going again.
[Post edited 16 Sep 2020 22:28]

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

It's the same flipping narrative every season........... on 22:29 - Sep 16 with 1597 viewsPatfromPoole

On the bright side, Brentford losing the play-off final to Fulham may yet be decent for us.

Brentford look twice the side Fulham are.

Poll: If we win a play-off semi at St. Mary’s should there be a pitch invasion?

It's the same flipping narrative every season........... on 22:30 - Sep 16 with 1589 viewsSadoldgit

There is a mental fragility that seems to spread through the team like wildfire. Ralph talked of being brave after lockdown and the message seemed to have gotten through (apart from the Arsenal game). Now it is back to square one.
It's the same flipping narrative every season........... on 22:33 - Sep 16 with 1585 viewsSonicBoom

I find it odd that when we win, its down to Ralph being a world class manager, but when we lose, ad we often do, its not his fault.
It's the same flipping narrative every season........... on 22:35 - Sep 16 with 1579 viewsGennaro_Contaldo

I want to say that "this is why supporting Saints is great", but I can't. You're right, EVERY f**king season near enough the same pattern. I remember a couple of storming starts to the season, one under Strachan and one under Koeman. Excluding the Adkins lower league ones, but am I missing any others?

I know the previous signings have f**ked the club for money, but there must have been a couple of freebies that were available?

I mean this is what's left after most clubs have had pickings; https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/statistik/vertragslosespieler

There are more than 2 or 3 on there better than what Saints have, who have no employer.

Free transfers at the start of August: https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/best-free-agents-football-transfer-win

This f**king bollocks about only signing young players to sell on for a profit is really hurting the club. Most of us said the same about Cahill last year, it still stands, a couple of older, experienced heads are what this team needs.

Case, Venison, Plamer, Richardson, Beasant, Ball, etc etc etc. All made a difference - I'm missing loads I know.

The UI; For the sophisticated gentleman
Poll: Where will Saints finish in the 2018/19 season

It's the same flipping narrative every season........... on 22:41 - Sep 16 with 1555 viewsSaintsforeverj

It's the same flipping narrative every season........... on 22:33 - Sep 16 by SonicBoom

I find it odd that when we win, its down to Ralph being a world class manager, but when we lose, ad we often do, its not his fault.

It's because Hughes failed, Pellegrino failed, Puel had a better team and still didn't do much. I think most people know that Stephens and Bednerak wouldn't get into other PL team, most have sympathy for the poor players he has to manage. We all know that nobody could do any better, having got rid of about 6 players and only brought in one, who is also unavailable.
[Post edited 16 Sep 2020 22:43]

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

It's the same flipping narrative every season........... on 22:50 - Sep 16 with 1525 viewsRon11

It's the same flipping narrative every season........... on 22:33 - Sep 16 by SonicBoom

Despite the apparent resurgence after the 0-9 embarrassment, I've still not been 100% convinced of the tactical ability of Ralph.
Login to get fewer ads

It's the same flipping narrative every season........... on 22:53 - Sep 16 with 1513 viewsGennaro_Contaldo

It's the same flipping narrative every season........... on 22:50 - Sep 16 by Ron11

Despite the apparent resurgence after the 0-9 embarrassment, I've still not been 100% convinced of the tactical ability of Ralph.

Motivation and fitness (before this season) - yes. Tactics - uncertain. But let's see ... it would be typical of Saints to get a manager to sign a big contract, for said manager to suddenly implode and be paid off ...

I hope it IS down to poor fitness and incoming recruitment. If the club sell Ings, we may as well not bother.

The UI; For the sophisticated gentleman
Poll: Where will Saints finish in the 2018/19 season

It's the same flipping narrative every season........... on 00:14 - Sep 17 with 1405 viewsKriSaint

Yes it is disturbing how the same group of players suddenly don´t show up after such a good project re-start, but ok, we´ve only played two games. Luck has not been on our side, and had Adams scored with his thunder volley against Palace - and tonight (instead of hitting the post) just before Brentford scored their first goal - we would have had a totally different scenario.
Ralph knows how to handle a crisis, and I wouldn´t be surprised if we beat Spurs on sunday.
And if we do, we are back on track.
COYS.
It's the same flipping narrative every season........... on 07:15 - Sep 17 with 1288 viewsinthebox

After the Palace game could see this coming, are game plan, high press is easy to counter pack the box and move out quick on the counter attack. If we miss our chances then we are in trouble. We don't have a leader at the back to deal with counter. If Ralph is in charge of recruitment then he's at fault, but managers rarely have the final say which is why someone like Cahill went by the way.We missed Armstrong who seems the most intelligent player we have at the moment.
It's the same flipping narrative every season........... on 07:51 - Sep 17 with 1235 viewsTripleNiemi

It's the same flipping narrative every season........... on 22:50 - Sep 16 by Ron11

I agree to some extent and was at Spurs away where case in question, Ralph made some bizarre substitutions that cost us imo. That said i don't think there is anyone better about (or worth wasting more money in compo for) as the club is fcuked under this Gao regime.

I really don't give a toss for Saints or the PL at the minute anyway as its simply not football. As someone else suggested its madness that top flight teams are considering signing Bale whilst other clubs are close to going to the wall.

Saints at the minute.....nah. I am missing gigs and live music far far more and feel for places such as the Joiners etc etc.
[Post edited 17 Sep 2020 7:53]

Ready and waiting to mop up those European places......

It's the same flipping narrative every season........... on 08:12 - Sep 17 with 1211 viewsJaySaint

what gets me, it seems to common that we go into the start of the season totally under-cooked transfer wise?

we all knew Lemina and Reed were going. It was obvious since restart that Hojbjerg was going. Why we never signed a starting quality CM is beyond me.

Something else has gone on, given Ralph stance he can't win games with this team.

Poll: Who is responsible for Liverpool's defeat?

It's the same flipping narrative every season........... on 08:33 - Sep 17 with 1189 viewssaint22

It's the same flipping narrative every season........... on 08:12 - Sep 17 by JaySaint

what gets me, it seems to common that we go into the start of the season totally under-cooked transfer wise?

we all knew Lemina and Reed were going. It was obvious since restart that Hojbjerg was going. Why we never signed a starting quality CM is beyond me.

Something else has gone on, given Ralph stance he can't win games with this team.

This has been the same every season, failing to replace players we know that are leaving
Maybe its our recruitment team/strategy to blame
Is Ralph really not saying I want X & Y??
Or maybe its just that we won't pay over the odds so we dont get the players we need/want IE McKennie, weren't we in for Upemacano a while back and now he is worth a fortune
Everton just blew 80m on players they needed and look at the change in one game
It's the same flipping narrative every season........... on 08:49 - Sep 17 with 1174 viewsTripleNiemi

It's the same flipping narrative every season........... on 08:33 - Sep 17 by saint22

This has been the same every season, failing to replace players we know that are leaving
Maybe its our recruitment team/strategy to blame
Is Ralph really not saying I want X & Y??
Or maybe its just that we won't pay over the odds so we dont get the players we need/want IE McKennie, weren't we in for Upemacano a while back and now he is worth a fortune
Everton just blew 80m on players they needed and look at the change in one game

Let's see where Everton and us finish end of season (if it even completes) and work out if the spend you mention was worth the effort. Even if they win the league and we finish 17th you can see why we don't throw that level of cash about. Its merely about survival for us....

Ready and waiting to mop up those European places......

It's the same flipping narrative every season........... on 08:53 - Sep 17 with 1163 viewsSonicBoom

It's the same flipping narrative every season........... on 22:41 - Sep 16 by Saintsforeverj

It's because Hughes failed, Pellegrino failed, Puel had a better team and still didn't do much. I think most people know that Stephens and Bednerak wouldn't get into other PL team, most have sympathy for the poor players he has to manage. We all know that nobody could do any better, having got rid of about 6 players and only brought in one, who is also unavailable.
[Post edited 16 Sep 2020 22:43]

I agree other managers failed. And I also agree that Ralph is still the right man for the job.
However....
He got some fantastic performances from the players last season. We beat Man City FFS.
So we now this team is capable. They are good enough.

So I think it is fair that as he gets all the plaudits for those results we also get to question him for these. The team looks lethargic and lacking sharpness and urgency and for that I look at Ralph and the preparation and motivation. He needs to get the performance up a level.
I really don't think we need to panic though. Brentford was disappointing - and frankly a bit embarrassing - but it is only 2 games. Maybe the players were a bit too pleased with the end of last season and hopefully this bloody nose will give them the wake up call they need. Ralph needs to get a reaction.
It's the same flipping narrative every season........... on 09:10 - Sep 17 with 1136 viewsJaySaint

It's the same flipping narrative every season........... on 08:49 - Sep 17 by TripleNiemi

Let's see where Everton and us finish end of season (if it even completes) and work out if the spend you mention was worth the effort. Even if they win the league and we finish 17th you can see why we don't throw that level of cash about. Its merely about survival for us....

there is a massive space between how we operate in the market, compared to everton.

that massive space should be eaten into by us. It never is and there is always a 'reason' why

Poll: Who is responsible for Liverpool's defeat?

It's the same flipping narrative every season........... on 11:29 - Sep 17 with 1069 viewsI_would

Nothing will change with Prowsey 'leading' them.

Poll: How many players should RH play at the back on Saturday?

It's the same flipping narrative every season........... on 12:43 - Sep 17 with 1020 viewsbattler

It's the same flipping narrative every season........... on 11:29 - Sep 17 by I_would

Nothing will change with Prowsey 'leading' them.

Admit it, you've secretly enjoyed the last 2 results so you can carry on with you weird obsession with JWP.

You were very quiet on this site for the last part of last season when Saints led by JWP did so well but it didn't take long for you to crawl out of the woodwork for this season did it.

You really are a weird one.
It's the same flipping narrative every season........... on 21:15 - Sep 17 with 832 viewsKennington

It’s hard for average players to maintain playing so well for a prolonged period and if they could they’d have been sold. Exception to that is Ings and the much discussed JWP who have the ability to be consistently decent.

Rest of them are a bit of a ragtag group of randoms like Redmond and Stephens who really are lower end premier league type abilities, which is fine as that’s there or there abouts where we’ll be come May. There’s no real point getting upset about it, as the owners have no interest in developing anything more than survival. I’d consider with this squad anything above 14th an excellent season.
[Post edited 17 Sep 2020 21:17]

Poll: What age is too old for a striker?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024