Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Maguire 20:19 - Oct 14 with 858 viewssaint22

How much??
Prime example of all that’s wrong with modern day football
Maguire on 08:36 - Oct 15 with 724 viewsSonicBoom

To be honest I didn't think he did too much wrong. For his first booking he actually got the ball then landed on the guy's foot in the follow through. The second one was just slightly mis-timed but these days that's a booking once the opposing player has rolled around and buried his face in the grass for a while.
That was also the softest penalty you'll ever see too. We will soon be at the stage where players won't dare challenge for the ball. I grew up watching football in the 80's and to give away a penalty you had to either catch the ball and run with it, or punch someone in the face. These days the slightest brush is "contact" and it's a pen.
Maguire on 08:47 - Oct 15 with 709 viewsGennaro_Contaldo

Maguire on 08:36 - Oct 15 by SonicBoom

To be honest I didn't think he did too much wrong. For his first booking he actually got the ball then landed on the guy's foot in the follow through. The second one was just slightly mis-timed but these days that's a booking once the opposing player has rolled around and buried his face in the grass for a while.
That was also the softest penalty you'll ever see too. We will soon be at the stage where players won't dare challenge for the ball. I grew up watching football in the 80's and to give away a penalty you had to either catch the ball and run with it, or punch someone in the face. These days the slightest brush is "contact" and it's a pen.

Agreed. Football is far too soft now, but then it's also MUCH quicker. Having said that, I'd love to see Hurlock or Vinnie Jones in the Premier League at the moment.

The UI; For the sophisticated gentleman
Poll: Where will Saints finish in the 2018/19 season

Maguire on 08:47 - Oct 15 with 703 viewsSadoldgit

Having said that, Shaw’s cynical hack the other week was worthy of Chopper Harris in the 70’s and should have been a red. Part of the issue nowadays is the speed of play. It doesn’t take much to misjudge a tackle and that is it. But that is the whole point of the yellow card, you know you have to be careful after that. Fair play to Oriel. Given the number of yellows he gets he does well to stay on the pitch!
Maguire on 09:59 - Oct 15 with 639 viewsSonicBoom

It is much quicker but if you are going to be booked for the slightest error of judgement then we will eventually end up with a contactless game as no one can risk a challenge.
The players don't help of course as they now collapse and scream attempting to get people sent off.
Maguire on 12:36 - Oct 15 with 542 viewsKennington

When is his retrial? A stretch in a Greek prison might be the perfect chance to clear his head.

Poll: What age is too old for a striker?

Maguire on 12:56 - Oct 15 with 534 viewsTimSaint

He had a bit of a mare, 1st touch let him down and he unluckily caught the player and he was off. Similarly for the penalty, it was as if the ref couldn't wait to give a penalty against England at Wembley !!

Maguire is not worth the transfer fee, but that is hardly his fault.

Like all players, he deserves criticism when he is at fault, but the media are quick to take it further and (unnecessarily) link his poor performance to the antics that went on in Greece.

I was in the car for a bit earlier and had TalkSport on. They were discussing Maguire and his performance. He was getting slated to an extent, but Jim White was almost standing up for him by saying that if we criticise him any more, it will affect his mental health !! He was virtually giving him an excuse !! Ridiculous.

Of course people suffer from mental health and there are protocols around this, but if a player under-performs or makes some errors, then they should be criticised.

Jordan was saying Maguire turns like a cruise ship and White almost took that personally. Just good cop bad cop click bait to get people to phone in, but anyone remember Donkey Adams, Turnip Taylor and the Wally with the Brolly ? It got to the stage that we were all trying to guess the next name or headline after the next England player fvcked up.

Yes we seem to be in a more snowflake society these days, but we do not need to give players excuses. Kyle Walker broke the lockdown rules twice by going to Sheffield to see family and some other trip or party, then wondered why he had paparazzi following him, but got them off his back by saying it was affecting his mental health. Bullsh1t - don't break the rules in the first place and they have no reason to follow you !!

TimSaint

Maguire on 14:16 - Oct 15 with 470 viewsCity_boy

Maguire on 08:47 - Oct 15 by Gennaro_Contaldo

Agreed. Football is far too soft now, but then it's also MUCH quicker. Having said that, I'd love to see Hurlock or Vinnie Jones in the Premier League at the moment.

Add Mark Dennis and Steve Williams to that list !!
Maguire on 15:44 - Oct 15 with 415 viewskingslandstand1

Maguire on 08:36 - Oct 15 by SonicBoom

"you had to either catch the ball and run with it, or punch someone in the face"

You sure you weren't brought up watching Aussie Rules???
Login to get fewer ads

Maguire on 16:37 - Oct 15 with 387 viewsChesham_Saint

Maguire on 12:36 - Oct 15 by Kennington

When is his retrial? A stretch in a Greek prison might be the perfect chance to clear his head.

Don’t know about prison clearing his head, but his first trip to the shower block could certainly result in some other part of his anatomy being cleared....

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024