Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Five subs from Friday 10:59 - Nov 18 with 2681 viewsfitzochris

... no, not the name of some cardigan-wearing indie band, but new EFL rules:

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11688/12135429/efl-to-allow-teams-five-s

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Five subs from Friday on 11:06 - Nov 18 with 2663 viewsrochdaleriddler

We can really use the strength of our bench now!

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

Five subs from Friday on 12:54 - Nov 18 with 2526 viewsboromat

Really bad news for us and a rule change that only helps the big clubs and the ones overspending on big squads.

Poll: What are we more excited for?

Five subs from Friday on 12:56 - Nov 18 with 2520 viewsfunkkk

Rubbish news for us!
Five subs from Friday on 12:58 - Nov 18 with 2516 viewsD_Alien

Five subs from Friday on 12:54 - Nov 18 by boromat

Really bad news for us and a rule change that only helps the big clubs and the ones overspending on big squads.

One thing it might allow though is for unsuccessful subs to be subbed, which could be 'interesting'

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Five subs from Friday on 13:08 - Nov 18 with 2495 viewsboromat

In order for us to compete in the last 20/30 minutes just in terms of energy levels we'll probably need our youngsters to step up.

Five subs from Friday on 19:20 - Nov 18 with 2276 viewsBillyRudd

However did we manage prior to 1965?
I mean asking men in their prime to run around for 90 minutes a couple of times a week having trained for the event and with good nutrition in the pursuit of something most of us would sell our souls to do. Its just not on. Then blow me down they get paid to do it as well, a lot of them with absolutely ludicrous amounts of dosh. Not blaming the players, they aren,t making the rules but I despair at the people running this game of ours. At a time when a number of lower leagues are shouting poverty (a lot of it self inflicted). At a time when we are waiting for the Premier League to give the lower leagues a hand out, which will come at a price. At a time when we are asking the Government for all sorts of reliefs, what do they do? Make a rule change that will only increase costs for the lower league professional game!
Might I proffer an alternative approach. Stop shaking the "Magic money tree", get a reality check and join the rest of us in the real world. In short as an industry like any other, start living within your means or market forces will make the changes for you and that will be a bitter pill for us all. Recognise that in times of economic stress the question should be "how can we sustain the modern game at lower league level by heaven forbid reducing costs". What next? Var in Lge 2 so that we can drive another nail in the coffin of football as it once was .Truly fear for the future of the game as I fondly remember it.
Up the Dale
Five subs from Friday on 19:34 - Nov 18 with 2260 viewspioneer

Five subs from Friday on 19:20 - Nov 18 by BillyRudd

However did we manage prior to 1965?
I mean asking men in their prime to run around for 90 minutes a couple of times a week having trained for the event and with good nutrition in the pursuit of something most of us would sell our souls to do. Its just not on. Then blow me down they get paid to do it as well, a lot of them with absolutely ludicrous amounts of dosh. Not blaming the players, they aren,t making the rules but I despair at the people running this game of ours. At a time when a number of lower leagues are shouting poverty (a lot of it self inflicted). At a time when we are waiting for the Premier League to give the lower leagues a hand out, which will come at a price. At a time when we are asking the Government for all sorts of reliefs, what do they do? Make a rule change that will only increase costs for the lower league professional game!
Might I proffer an alternative approach. Stop shaking the "Magic money tree", get a reality check and join the rest of us in the real world. In short as an industry like any other, start living within your means or market forces will make the changes for you and that will be a bitter pill for us all. Recognise that in times of economic stress the question should be "how can we sustain the modern game at lower league level by heaven forbid reducing costs". What next? Var in Lge 2 so that we can drive another nail in the coffin of football as it once was .Truly fear for the future of the game as I fondly remember it.
Up the Dale

well said Billy. Increasing squad sizes to support more subs just dilutes what talent is available too.
Five subs from Friday on 20:18 - Nov 18 with 2216 viewsblackdogblue

Wasn’t it Aston Villa who famously won the Div 1 title with only 12 players, 1-11 & a number 12...

In all honesty, that was an achievement

Poll: Prediction League ... Continue or have a World Cup Break?

Login to get fewer ads

Five subs from Friday on 21:00 - Nov 18 with 2176 viewsboromat

I'm not easily annoyed but this has really got to me. In addition to my previous comments how does this not affect the games that have gone. Those that have played the bigger squads are also arguably at an advantage those that still have them to come at a disadvantage especially when the bigger squads really come into play later on in the season and over the Xmas period before the Jan transfer window.

I wonder if we had known about this rule back in October if we'd have signed one or two more players as a result.

Five subs from Friday on 21:44 - Nov 18 with 2144 viewsDiddyDave

As if there aren`t enough hold ups in the game already,they increase the amount of subs. The games drag on as it is,the winning team leading by a single goal stop the game to bring on a sub,no other reason than to stem the other side`s momentum. Games will drag on and on,longer than a game of NFL or basketball,well into the night if its an evening game. Ridiculous,but what do you expect from the clowns that run the game.
Five subs from Friday on 22:37 - Nov 18 with 2102 viewsTVOS1907

Five subs from Friday on 21:44 - Nov 18 by DiddyDave

As if there aren`t enough hold ups in the game already,they increase the amount of subs. The games drag on as it is,the winning team leading by a single goal stop the game to bring on a sub,no other reason than to stem the other side`s momentum. Games will drag on and on,longer than a game of NFL or basketball,well into the night if its an evening game. Ridiculous,but what do you expect from the clowns that run the game.

If you read the details, there can still only be three times when subs are introduced, as now.

Of course, some devious managers might decide to leave their final three subs until the 91st minute with their team holding onto a 1-0 lead...

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Five subs from Friday on 00:27 - Nov 19 with 2048 viewsAtThePeake

This is clearly not a benefit for a club like us with such a small squad, but in defence of this rule change, muscle injuries alone have increased by a large amount this season and the players do need to be protected more IMO. There's no point comparing the conditioning of players from 50+ years ago to now because the game has changed beyond recognition in that time.

What they should have done instead is paused the Carabao Cup and the Pizza Cup for a season and on an international scale, there is no way teams should be playing friendlies at the minute. Squeezing three international matches into six days in the middle of the current schedule just seems like madness.

One possible advantage is that it may actually lead to more opportunities for younger players at many clubs, which is something most fans would be in favour of. It's helped in Italy where they can name 11 substitutes for young talent to get chances at first-team level more often. Having an extra couple of subs available should mean youngsters are afforded more minutes at EFL clubs.

Tangled up in blue.

Five subs from Friday on 09:21 - Nov 19 with 1929 viewsboromat

Five subs from Friday on 00:27 - Nov 19 by AtThePeake

This is clearly not a benefit for a club like us with such a small squad, but in defence of this rule change, muscle injuries alone have increased by a large amount this season and the players do need to be protected more IMO. There's no point comparing the conditioning of players from 50+ years ago to now because the game has changed beyond recognition in that time.

What they should have done instead is paused the Carabao Cup and the Pizza Cup for a season and on an international scale, there is no way teams should be playing friendlies at the minute. Squeezing three international matches into six days in the middle of the current schedule just seems like madness.

One possible advantage is that it may actually lead to more opportunities for younger players at many clubs, which is something most fans would be in favour of. It's helped in Italy where they can name 11 substitutes for young talent to get chances at first-team level more often. Having an extra couple of subs available should mean youngsters are afforded more minutes at EFL clubs.

Maybe 2 of the 5 subs should have been made to be U21s.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024