Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Both Devil and Saint 19:45 - Nov 27 with 814 viewsericofarabia

Brain still a bit tired so should be plenty left over!
Luke Shaw
Morgan S
Jim McCalliog
Ron Davies
Ted Macdougall
Francis Burns
Danny Wallace
Mark Hughes
Both Devil and Saint on 19:59 - Nov 27 with 801 viewshedgeend61

Danny Higginbotham.
Both Devil and Saint on 20:00 - Nov 27 with 799 viewsSaintsforeverj

Morgan Schneiderlin was the latest to move there, wasn't he?
[Post edited 28 Nov 2020 14:11]

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

Both Devil and Saint on 20:55 - Nov 27 with 764 viewsdirk_doone

The Southampton-born Harry Moger, who missed out on 2 FA Cup finals in his time with us, as the great England goalkeeper, Jack Robinson, kept him out of the team, but won 2 league titles and an FA Cup with United.

I remember seeing one of Danny Wallace's last games for us, when he scored both of our goals in a 2-1 win at Maine Road, on a Wednesday night in August 1989. I then saw him make his debut there for United a few weeks later and City beat them 5-1. It sums up how much his fortunes changed when he left Southampton. He was never the same player again.
[Post edited 27 Nov 2020 21:23]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Both Devil and Saint on 21:09 - Nov 27 with 748 viewsBicester_North

Joe Jordan

Poll: Who do you feel most sorry for

Both Devil and Saint on 21:30 - Nov 27 with 721 viewsericofarabia

Both Devil and Saint on 20:55 - Nov 27 by dirk_doone

The Southampton-born Harry Moger, who missed out on 2 FA Cup finals in his time with us, as the great England goalkeeper, Jack Robinson, kept him out of the team, but won 2 league titles and an FA Cup with United.

I remember seeing one of Danny Wallace's last games for us, when he scored both of our goals in a 2-1 win at Maine Road, on a Wednesday night in August 1989. I then saw him make his debut there for United a few weeks later and City beat them 5-1. It sums up how much his fortunes changed when he left Southampton. He was never the same player again.
[Post edited 27 Nov 2020 21:23]

I was at that Maine Road match as well. Evening ko had no idea how to get to Maine Rd so followed the crowds, unfortunately at 6pm nobody was going straight to the ground and I ended up in a real dodgy pub on the edge of Moss Side. 🙄
Both Devil and Saint on 21:33 - Nov 27 with 713 viewsdirk_doone

Both Devil and Saint on 21:30 - Nov 27 by ericofarabia

I was at that Maine Road match as well. Evening ko had no idea how to get to Maine Rd so followed the crowds, unfortunately at 6pm nobody was going straight to the ground and I ended up in a real dodgy pub on the edge of Moss Side. 🙄

Was it a very basic spit and sawdust Irish one, where they were serving Holt's Ale, on the right hand side of that long straight road that led to the ground? That was one of my favourites. The pub near the Etihad (there aren't many in that area) doesn't have the same character.

As I recall it was a warm, sunny evening and Saints strolled to victory.
[Post edited 28 Nov 2020 0:03]

Both Devil and Saint on 21:33 - Nov 27 with 712 viewsBicester_North

Both Devil and Saint on 21:30 - Nov 27 by ericofarabia

Maine road was one of the best away trips, always a bit of an edge round that area but as long as you weren’t acting a knob they were a good bunch. Plus a cracking chippy by the ground

Poll: Who do you feel most sorry for

Both Devil and Saint on 21:36 - Nov 27 with 707 viewsdirk_doone

Both Devil and Saint on 21:33 - Nov 27 by Bicester_North

Maine road was one of the best away trips, always a bit of an edge round that area but as long as you weren’t acting a knob they were a good bunch. Plus a cracking chippy by the ground

Very true.

Login to get fewer ads

Both Devil and Saint on 22:09 - Nov 27 with 683 viewsChesham_Saint

Ron Davies?

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

Both Devil and Saint on 00:10 - Nov 28 with 635 viewsdirk_doone

Both Devil and Saint on 22:09 - Nov 27 by Chesham_Saint

Ron Davies?

Matt Busby was obsessed with signing Ron Davies, who he said was the best centre forward in Europe, which was high praise as there were players like Eusebio around at the time, and United put in several very big transfer bids for him but Ted Bates never told Ron about any of them. Ron was the top goal scorer in the country 2 seasons running ( the 2nd time equal with George Best).

The great Ron Davies, the only away team player ever to score 4 goals in a game at Old Trafford, was a football phenomenon, the like of which will probably never be seen again.
[Post edited 28 Nov 2020 10:46]

Both Devil and Saint on 00:45 - Nov 28 with 621 viewsChesham_Saint

Both Devil and Saint on 00:10 - Nov 28 by dirk_doone

Matt Busby was obsessed with signing Ron Davies, who he said was the best centre forward in Europe, which was high praise as there were players like Eusebio around at the time, and United put in several very big transfer bids for him but Ted Bates never told Ron about any of them. Ron was the top goal scorer in the country 2 seasons running ( the 2nd time equal with George Best).

The great Ron Davies, the only away team player ever to score 4 goals in a game at Old Trafford, was a football phenomenon, the like of which will probably never be seen again.
[Post edited 28 Nov 2020 10:46]

Just checked his wiki page and sadly of course, as well as Man U, he also turned out for the skates for a while.

He’s been dead 7 years now which surprised me as I remember Tijuana Tim (late of this parish - and btw, come back Tim - all is forgiven!) was good friends with him in his final days and helped him financially which was a tragic end for such an amazing player.

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

Both Devil and Saint on 07:14 - Nov 28 with 579 viewsWints76

Saints legend Andrei Kanchelskis also turned out for United earlier in in his career.
Both Devil and Saint on 08:20 - Nov 28 with 553 viewsericofarabia

Both Devil and Saint on 07:14 - Nov 28 by Wints76

Saints legend Andrei Kanchelskis also turned out for United earlier in in his career.

Didn't they give him the legendary MLT # 7 shirt and basically played about 7 mins fir us?

boutd
Both Devil and Saint on 10:50 - Nov 28 with 514 viewsdirk_doone

Both Devil and Saint on 00:45 - Nov 28 by Chesham_Saint

Just checked his wiki page and sadly of course, as well as Man U, he also turned out for the skates for a while.

He’s been dead 7 years now which surprised me as I remember Tijuana Tim (late of this parish - and btw, come back Tim - all is forgiven!) was good friends with him in his final days and helped him financially which was a tragic end for such an amazing player.

Yes, towards the end of his career, he was hampered by a series of injuries, especially to his knees and hips which affected both his running and his jumping ability and he was dropped from Saints first team and eventually let go to Little Pompey,, where, In spite of his injuries, he was still easily their top goal scorer in the one season he played for them. United finally got him but his best playing days were far behind him by then and he just made a few sub appearances for them.

He played and coached in America, and ended up living in a trailer park in New Mexico. Saints fans, including notably Tim, paid for him to have 2 hip replacement surgeries towards the end of his life.
[Post edited 28 Nov 2020 10:54]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024