Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
On this day 17 years ago 12:45 - Dec 2 with 631 viewsBicester_North

An easy 2-0 victory in the league cup night game over the minnows.
Their fans gave it loads as usual in the build up but on the night ran away and seemed to lose their voices in the ground apart from when they booed during the Ted Bates silence. A few weeks later we stuffed them again in the league.

[Post edited 2 Dec 2020 12:45]

Poll: Who do you feel most sorry for

On this day 17 years ago on 13:14 - Dec 2 with 598 viewssolent_toffee

The atmosphere in town was very prickly to say the least that night. I went to the grapes to watch it and it was packed with some right hard cases after the match.
On this day 17 years ago on 13:20 - Dec 2 with 594 viewsSaintsforeverj

Remember it well. There wasn't a bubble. It was a very tense night. Fans were mingling outside the Northam and shouting abuse to each other an hour before kick off. Lots of police there but fans were arriving from over the bridge and all directions, it was one of the most intense atmospheres, particularly outside the ground that I have witnessed at St Mary's. Officers were looking highly anxious with stuff kicking off all over the place. Not sure why there wasn't a bubble.
[Post edited 2 Dec 2020 13:22]

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

On this day 17 years ago on 13:50 - Dec 2 with 569 viewsBicester_North

Think it was a few years before bubble matches came in. Worked with some skates at the time and was amusing how quiet they were after that match compared to how gobby they were before it.

Poll: Who do you feel most sorry for

On this day 17 years ago on 13:58 - Dec 2 with 559 viewsChesham_Saint

On this day 17 years ago on 13:14 - Dec 2 by solent_toffee

The atmosphere in town was very prickly to say the least that night. I went to the grapes to watch it and it was packed with some right hard cases after the match.

Ours or theirs? 🤔😎

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

On this day 17 years ago on 14:00 - Dec 2 with 558 viewsTimSaint

On this day 17 years ago on 13:50 - Dec 2 by Bicester_North

Think it was a few years before bubble matches came in. Worked with some skates at the time and was amusing how quiet they were after that match compared to how gobby they were before it.

Loved the Beattie reaction / celebration after the first goal :-)

My Skate Workmate at the time was saying it was never a penalty or a red card at the end. Saw it live from the Chapel and have watched it many times since and he tripped him, so it was a pen and who cares about the red card. It was in injury time anyway, so would not have affected the result.

The 3-0 was superb - but it still annoys me that they gave that first goal as an OG. Give it to Dodd - straight from a corner !!

TimSaint

On this day 17 years ago on 14:16 - Dec 2 with 542 viewssolent_toffee

On this day 17 years ago on 13:58 - Dec 2 by Chesham_Saint

Ours or theirs? 🤔😎

All definitely Saints lads. Was the league game a noon kick off and a bubble or at least restrictions?

Again I went The Grapes beforehand and it was ticket only and some sort of breakfast/drinks deal. Place was full of some right uns (Saints). It was a great day on the lash, if I remember rightly.
On this day 17 years ago on 14:22 - Dec 2 with 534 viewsDENZY

The bookies got cleaned out that night, half the ground had Beattie first goal Saints 2-0. I had to pick my winnings up a few days later as they run out of cash.

"The Chapel Kop at Southampton is widely regarded as the most passionate and intimidating Kop in European football."

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024