Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Long - Is he the worst player in the premiership? Let's give him a £6m contract 13:53 - Dec 15 with 1994 viewsI_would

I see Hassenaclue is trying to justify his mistake in giving Long a 2 year extension at a cost of £6m for a player he now realizes is not very good at anything. Well, we could have told him that before he wasted the club's money. Ralph sure does need an assistant.

Poll: How many players should RH play at the back on Saturday?

Long - Is he the worst player in the premiership? Let's give him a £6m contract on 14:01 - Dec 15 with 1427 viewsSadoldgit

At some point in the near future Long will be replaced. For now he is an adequate squad player who knows the club well and can do the job in an emergency. He also has a sell on value as he has a contract.
Long - Is he the worst player in the premiership? Let's give him a £6m contract on 14:02 - Dec 15 with 1426 viewsdirk_doone

He's probably stayed on a year too long in the top flight. He is about the same age as Rooney and, like him, should probably have gone to a Championship club before now. I was glad to see he wasn't on the bench against Sheffield United, which meant N'Lundulu could come on.

He is a popular character with many of our fans and, alhough he never looks like scoring nowadays, he scored a couple of important goals in the past.

IF we could find a club prepared to take him, it would be best to let him go in January. I'm not so sure that any club would be prepared to pay a transfer fee for him though.
[Post edited 15 Dec 2020 14:07]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Long - Is he the worst player in the premiership? Let's give him a £6m contract on 14:21 - Dec 15 with 1384 viewsSadoldgit

I don’t disagree with your comments Dirk, but don’t regard the new contract as a mistake. We would have had to find a replacement for him at a time when there were other priorities and this bought us a bit more time. Ralph is no mug. He wouldn’t keep him around just to be a waste of space. He might be seen as a good influence on the younger players coming through too? Those surplus to requirements get shipped out. He obviously has some value for now if Ralph decided to keep him. Given that I-would would have got shot of JWP years ago, I’d go with Ralph’s choices over his every day of the week 😉
Long - Is he the worst player in the premiership? Let's give him a £6m contract on 14:28 - Dec 15 with 1368 viewsI_would

Long - Is he the worst player in the premiership? Let's give him a £6m contract on 14:21 - Dec 15 by Sadoldgit

I don’t disagree with your comments Dirk, but don’t regard the new contract as a mistake. We would have had to find a replacement for him at a time when there were other priorities and this bought us a bit more time. Ralph is no mug. He wouldn’t keep him around just to be a waste of space. He might be seen as a good influence on the younger players coming through too? Those surplus to requirements get shipped out. He obviously has some value for now if Ralph decided to keep him. Given that I-would would have got shot of JWP years ago, I’d go with Ralph’s choices over his every day of the week 😉

Yes, Prowsey's tackles resemble a baby bear attacking Big Daddy Bear and he earns PT cash impersonating a run by the Six Million Dollar Man, but, as long as he's producing I'm as happy as anyone else. Unfortunately Long only seems to produce a late opposition goal of late.

Poll: How many players should RH play at the back on Saturday?

Long - Is he the worst player in the premiership? Let's give him a £6m contract on 14:34 - Dec 15 with 1354 viewsSaintNick

Long - Is he the worst player in the premiership? Let's give him a £6m contract on 14:21 - Dec 15 by Sadoldgit

Long is a valued player, our fans are quite happy to sing "He is one of our own" at some players who have done little for the club, whilst others like Shane Long who have given us good service and just get on with the job are slagged off.

Long is not the player he was , but he still contributes, it is a squad game now and Long will be used when needed and like last season will play a part, it will be mainly about running the clock down as he did in games like Chelsea & Wolves away.

Long is a clever player to have in the final 10 minutes he can close people down and draw fouls.

Dan N'lundulu may have a future at this club, but no one on here can truly say that he has yet, two 1 minute sub appearances and then his 6 minute cameo on Sunday are not enough to judge.

Against Sheffield United he ran around a lot, but actually contributed little to the game, we have to reserve judgement till we have seen him have a longer period of action.

In the meantime let us give Shane Long the respect he deserves as a player who has given us 6 1/2 years service so far and has played 91 League games plus another 91 as sub and scored 27 goals

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Long - Is he the worst player in the premiership? Let's give him a £6m contract on 14:55 - Dec 15 with 1328 viewsChesham_Saint

Typical football fans. One moment it’s all “in Ralph we trust” the next it’s micromanaging his every move because we know so much better being intimately involved with the club as we are.

We don’t know what Long’s new comp is, but it’s clear that he’s a good influence at a time when we are trying to make the various playing levels seemless. And as for the joker who says he’s the worst player in the league, I can only assume you didn’t watch Sheff Utd play us at the weekend.

And that skate half-wit who persists in slagging JWP no matter what he does, can fvck off as well.

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

Long - Is he the worst player in the premiership? Let's give him a £6m contract on 15:07 - Dec 15 with 1319 viewsKennington

I’m no Long fan, but surely picking this to moan about while we’re 4th and are accumulating a decent goal difference, i.e. there’s no crisis in the goal scoring department or for that matter defending is very strange. Long is now very much in the squad to make up the numbers and to be an experienced pro. I don’t begrudge him his wage. We’ve had far worse players on far more.

Poll: What age is too old for a striker?

Long - Is he the worst player in the premiership? Let's give him a £6m contract on 15:20 - Dec 15 with 1302 viewsSonicBoom

This is the dilemma fans now have with players.

On the one hand Long has been here for a while and been a good pro and even scored some (not bloody many) important goals. So as Nick says he's given good service.

But these days the players get so much money that has to impact the opinion of fans.
Long also missed countless relatively simple chance so how many points did he actually cost us?
And during his 6 years of "good service", he was paid in excess of 20 million pounds and scored 27 goals.
I think we've done him a greater service than he's done us.
Login to get fewer ads

Long - Is he the worst player in the premiership? Let's give him a £6m contract on 15:32 - Dec 15 with 1291 viewsBerber

RH has said, at the time of contract extension that Long is a major influence on the younger players. I thought he was done at the begining of last season, but he proved extremely valuable over the course of all the games, so I was pleased to see the extension made, given that any acquisitions would be in other areas.
Long - Is he the worst player in the premiership? Let's give him a £6m contract on 15:48 - Dec 15 with 1278 viewsPatfromPoole

What’s the Premiership?

OP is a joke from a troll.

Poll: If we win a play-off semi at St. Mary’s should there be a pitch invasion?

Long - Is he the worst player in the premiership? Let's give him a £6m contract on 16:39 - Dec 15 with 1230 viewsTripleNiemi

Long - Is he the worst player in the premiership? Let's give him a £6m contract on 15:07 - Dec 15 by Kennington

I’m no Long fan, but surely picking this to moan about while we’re 4th and are accumulating a decent goal difference, i.e. there’s no crisis in the goal scoring department or for that matter defending is very strange. Long is now very much in the squad to make up the numbers and to be an experienced pro. I don’t begrudge him his wage. We’ve had far worse players on far more.

Some of our fanbase are never happy..............thank fcuk only 2,000 are allowed in St. Marys currently.
[Post edited 15 Dec 2020 16:50]

Ready and waiting to mop up those European places......

Long - Is he the worst player in the premiership? Let's give him a £6m contract on 16:52 - Dec 15 with 1203 viewsBerber

Long - Is he the worst player in the premiership? Let's give him a £6m contract on 15:20 - Dec 15 by SonicBoom

On the one hand Long has been here for a while and been a good pro and even scored some (not bloody many) important goals. So as Nick says he's given good service.

But these days the players get so much money that has to impact the opinion of fans.
Long also missed countless relatively simple chance so how many points did he actually cost us?
And during his 6 years of "good service", he was paid in excess of 20 million pounds and scored 27 goals.

It is hard enough getting a decent side out whilst paying market rates , not doing so would be a disaster. These salaries are part of the PL deal, so if anyone disagrees, go and watch Championship football, where the same rules apply, so where do we stop? Maiming about pay rates is futile, and not relevant.
Long - Is he the worst player in the premiership? Let's give him a £6m contract on 17:01 - Dec 15 with 1189 viewssaintfrance

Personally I quite like Shane, ok he may not score many goals but he occupies defenders who are scared of his speed and christ can he jump for headers, he is a nuisance and that at times is extremely usefull
Long - Is he the worst player in the premiership? Let's give him a £6m contract on 18:01 - Dec 15 with 1136 viewskingslandstand1

Long - Is he the worst player in the premiership? Let's give him a £6m contract on 14:55 - Dec 15 by Chesham_Saint

Typical football fans. One moment it’s all “in Ralph we trust” the next it’s micromanaging his every move because we know so much better being intimately involved with the club as we are.

We don’t know what Long’s new comp is, but it’s clear that he’s a good influence at a time when we are trying to make the various playing levels seemless. And as for the joker who says he’s the worst player in the league, I can only assume you didn’t watch Sheff Utd play us at the weekend.

And that skate half-wit who persists in slagging JWP no matter what he does, can fvck off as well.

But don't forget the OP was I_Would so don't read too much in to it
Long - Is he the worst player in the premiership? Let's give him a £6m contract on 18:08 - Dec 15 with 1122 viewskingslandstand1

Long - Is he the worst player in the premiership? Let's give him a £6m contract on 14:34 - Dec 15 by SaintNick

Long is a valued player, our fans are quite happy to sing "He is one of our own" at some players who have done little for the club, whilst others like Shane Long who have given us good service and just get on with the job are slagged off.

Long is not the player he was , but he still contributes, it is a squad game now and Long will be used when needed and like last season will play a part, it will be mainly about running the clock down as he did in games like Chelsea & Wolves away.

Long is a clever player to have in the final 10 minutes he can close people down and draw fouls.

Dan N'lundulu may have a future at this club, but no one on here can truly say that he has yet, two 1 minute sub appearances and then his 6 minute cameo on Sunday are not enough to judge.

Against Sheffield United he ran around a lot, but actually contributed little to the game, we have to reserve judgement till we have seen him have a longer period of action.

In the meantime let us give Shane Long the respect he deserves as a player who has given us 6 1/2 years service so far and has played 91 League games plus another 91 as sub and scored 27 goals

I'm with this

If we want to seriously challenge for Europe we need a decent experienced squad with players that will work continuously knowing they won't start many games, but when they do come on can contribute. Long comes in to that bracket. Not to necessarily give him a contract just out of loyalty, but contribution to the squad as well. He still has some pace and will worry a defence
Long - Is he the worst player in the premiership? Let's give him a £6m contract on 18:50 - Dec 15 with 1088 viewsSaintNick

Long - Is he the worst player in the premiership? Let's give him a £6m contract on 15:20 - Dec 15 by SonicBoom

In 2015/16 when we finished 6th Long got 10 goals only 1 behnd Mane and 2 behind Pelle, he was just as instrumental in that season as either of them, perhaps more so due to the number of assists and balls won in the final 3rd of the field

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Long - Is he the worst player in the premiership? Let's give him a £6m contract on 19:04 - Dec 15 with 1070 views1885_SFC

Long - Is he the worst player in the premiership? Let's give him a £6m contract on 18:01 - Dec 15 by kingslandstand1

But don't forget the OP was I_Would so don't read too much in to it

Indeed. When he posts his drivel - I never read f*ck-all into it!

Old School is Cool

Long - Is he the worst player in the premiership? Let's give him a £6m contract on 20:04 - Dec 15 with 1020 viewscocklebreath

The helmets are out tonight

Poll: Who is the biggest c*nt?

Long - Is he the worst player in the premiership? Let's give him a £6m contract on 20:37 - Dec 15 with 997 viewsstmichael

How do you know it’s worth 6 million pounds.
I doubt that very much.
He earned his extension.
I’ve no problem with it at all..
Very derogatory post and to a player who has been here a long time and always given his all.

Poll: Do we bring back Bernard at the weekend or stick with Bree?

Long - Is he the worst player in the premiership? Let's give him a £6m contract on 21:18 - Dec 15 with 959 viewsSaintsforeverj

Long would have been a useful player to come on, had we not had a fully fit squad. We are 4th and doing so well, Long can't get in the squad. This thread is rediculous negative. Had we had injuries or not doing so well, Long probably would have been getting a few goals.
The OP must be a troll or a Pompey fan to keep using such negative language about possibly the best manager we have ever had. Ralph the legend, has created such a strong squad and a team that every player wants to player in, that a good player like Long can't get in the team. Simple as that.
[Post edited 15 Dec 2020 21:20]

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

Long - Is he the worst player in the premiership? Let's give him a £6m contract on 22:06 - Dec 15 with 924 viewsdarthvader

I love him . Hes a nuisance to opposite teams and id rather have him on the bench as an option than not .even just to come on and occupy defenders which allows others room to play

keep the faith coyr

Long - Is he the worst player in the premiership? Let's give him a £6m contract on 22:17 - Dec 15 with 919 viewsdirk_doone

Seriously, he used to be a nuisance to the opposition but he's nowhere near good enough or fast enough for the great first team squad we have now. I haven't seen him win one 50/50 race aginst any opposition defender this season. He just trails behind them, trips them and gives away free-kicks.

Matt Le Tissier was a wonderful player but I wouldn't like to see him come on as a sub for us now. Every great player's career has to come to an end sometime. It's time to unleash our outstanding young players like N'Lundulu (I have to be honest and admit I Google how to spell his name every time I post it.) and Tella (Great player with an easy name to spell ).

PS Obviously the OP was a pisstake but there is nothing wrong with a bit of humour now and then even though the Premier League is SERIOUS BUSINESS.
[Post edited 15 Dec 2020 22:28]

Long - Is he the worst player in the premiership? Let's give him a £6m contract on 22:30 - Dec 15 with 891 viewsChesham_Saint

Long - Is he the worst player in the premiership? Let's give him a £6m contract on 22:17 - Dec 15 by dirk_doone

Seriously, he used to be a nuisance to the opposition but he's nowhere near good enough or fast enough for the great first team squad we have now. I haven't seen him win one 50/50 race aginst any opposition defender this season. He just trails behind them, trips them and gives away free-kicks.

Matt Le Tissier was a wonderful player but I wouldn't like to see him come on as a sub for us now. Every great player's career has to come to an end sometime. It's time to unleash our outstanding young players like N'Lundulu (I have to be honest and admit I Google how to spell his name every time I post it.) and Tella (Great player with an easy name to spell ).

PS Obviously the OP was a pisstake but there is nothing wrong with a bit of humour now and then even though the Premier League is SERIOUS BUSINESS.
[Post edited 15 Dec 2020 22:28]

The OP may have been a piss take, but it would have helped if the author wasn’t always squinnying on about JWP. The man’s obsessed.

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

Long - Is he the worst player in the premiership? Let's give him a £6m contract on 22:32 - Dec 15 with 884 viewsSaintsforeverj

Long - Is he the worst player in the premiership? Let's give him a £6m contract on 22:06 - Dec 15 by darthvader

I love him . Hes a nuisance to opposite teams and id rather have him on the bench as an option than not .even just to come on and occupy defenders which allows others room to play

Yeah, I think Long is an outstanding player.

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

Long - Is he the worst player in the premiership? Let's give him a £6m contract on 22:33 - Dec 15 with 883 viewsdirk_doone

Long - Is he the worst player in the premiership? Let's give him a £6m contract on 22:30 - Dec 15 by Chesham_Saint

The OP may have been a piss take, but it would have helped if the author wasn’t always squinnying on about JWP. The man’s obsessed.

I think at this stage he MUST be joking because it's obvious to everyone that Ward-Prowse is now one of the best players in the Premier League and probably the best dead ball specialist of all time.

PS, like I would, I once used to doubt Ward-Prowse. How wrong was I?
[Post edited 15 Dec 2020 22:37]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024